The Four Seasons Nightclub (later Rudies) In Scarborough N,yorks

Guest soulmaguk

Guest soulmaguk

hi,

I am looking for anyone who has any photos of The Four Seasons nightclub (Later Rudies) in Scarborough N,Yorks please. Or any relevant pics of Soulies in Scarborough or 60Ts/70Ts scooter pics, or even any cinefilm I could purchase of dancing on Scarborough beach from the big rallies in 78/79 80/81 anything at all.

Many Thanks in advance,

Jock

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

hi,

I am looking for anyone who has any photos of The Four Seasons nightclub (Later Rudies) in Scarborough N,Yorks please. Or any relevant pics of Soulies in Scarborough or 60Ts/70Ts scooter pics, or even any cinefilm I could purchase of dancing on Scarborough beach from the big rallies in 78/79 80/81 anything at all.

Also any of the Talbot Soul Club Scarborough, 99 club, Lakeside club.

This would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance,

Jock

Remember 'em well. Dj'd at both, bank holiday all-dayers, for Paul Temple. No pics tho', sorry!

Social source share

Got some at me mams i think jock, down there in a couple of weeks will forward them for you, saw a good one at dave raistricks when i was down there, with him and rob smith djing, great place had some good times in there, TOMMY SHERIDAN in fancy dress as an OXO CUBE springs to mind, think it was one of the first places i dj`d, good days, now they were proper weekenders, bank holidays in scarborough :)

Social source share

Got some at me mams i think jock, down there in a couple of weeks will forward them for you, saw a good one at dave raistricks when i was down there, with him and rob smith djing, great place had some good times in there, TOMMY SHERIDAN in fancy dress as an OXO CUBE springs to mind, think it was one of the first places i dj`d, good days, now they were proper weekenders, bank holidays in scarborough :rolleyes:

Hi Harry, i love Scarborough. A few of us went there for Julie,s 40th about 5/6 years ago.

It was gonna be a non-soul weekend, but we ended up at a soul-do on the Sat night :rolleyes:

Dave.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Got some at me mams i think jock, down there in a couple of weeks will forward them for you, saw a good one at dave raistricks when i was down there, with him and rob smith djing, great place had some good times in there, TOMMY SHERIDAN in fancy dress as an OXO CUBE springs to mind, think it was one of the first places i dj`d, good days, now they were proper weekenders, bank holidays in scarborough :unsure:

Thanks for that info Harry, will make a trip to Mr. Raistricks shop very soon to av a butchers.

Social source share

Hi Harry, i love Scarborough. A few of us went there for Julie,s 40th about 5/6 years ago.

It was gonna be a non-soul weekend, but we ended up at a soul-do on the Sat night :D

Dave.

Hi dave hope your well? allways been a healthy scene in scarborough and still is had some good times there over the years thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest soulmaguk

hi,

Also any of the Talbot Soul Club Scarborough, 99 club, Lakeside club.

This would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance,

Jock

C'mon, anyone? its for a Digital Media project I am undertaking this year.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Don,t know which wrong key i hit there Jock-----i ,ve got some from 1977 (Four Seasons)with Jon Wrona and And Wardy(the elder) and then 2 years later(Rudies and Pickwick and The Salisbury)with Me Ron Pedley,Gray Kelly ,Tracey,my first wife Pam, and Ronnie,s bird of the time Gill(of "Wonny ,Wonny") fame --will try and hunt them out

Best

Tony Coleby

Social source share

I seem to remember DJing quite often at Rudies during the early 80's, were they just on at Bank Holidays and never strayed past the 2am barrier?

I've got some old photos of Rudies from this period tucked away somewhere, and fortunately I stumbled across them a few weeks ago whilst moving some boxes around. As I'm now starting to claw some time back I'll try either post the pics into this thread or into My Albums.

Hey Harry C don't laugh I've got a picture of you wearing a V neck wooly jumper you're Mum bought you hehehe.....

derek

Social source share

I seem to remember DJing quite often at Rudies during the early 80's, were they just on at Bank Holidays and never strayed past the 2am barrier?

I've got some old photos of Rudies from this period tucked away somewhere, and fortunately I stumbled across them a few weeks ago whilst moving some boxes around. As I'm now starting to claw some time back I'll try either post the pics into this thread or into My Albums.

Hey Harry C don't laugh I've got a picture of you wearing a V neck wooly jumper you're Mum bought you hehehe.....

derek

Would that be the brown one , Derek ? ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Got some at me mams i think jock, down there in a couple of weeks will forward them for you, saw a good one at dave raistricks when i was down there, with him and rob smith djing, great place had some good times in there, TOMMY SHERIDAN in fancy dress as an OXO CUBE springs to mind, think it was one of the first places i dj`d, good days, now they were proper weekenders, bank holidays in scarborough :thumbup:

Hi Harry.Your comment on TOMMY SHERIDANS  OXO cube brought a smile to my face as it was I, SUE HOLMES who made it for him.He played pop with me, afterwards about it cos he couldnt sit down on bus with it on.

Luv SUE HOLMES

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted this thread, I'm sure I have some knocking about :lol:

I went there most bank holidays from around 1974 ish right up to the mid 80's.

Every 'Session' in the Salisbury then the Four Seasons / Rudies afterwards.

Those were the days eh...

I'll have a look for you and see what there is :lol:

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Just spotted this thread, I'm sure I have some knocking about biggrin.gif

I went there most bank holidays from around 1974 ish right up to the mid 80's.

Every 'Session' in the Salisbury then the Four Seasons / Rudies afterwards.

Those were the days eh...

I'll have a look for you and see what there is :unsure:

That would be great if you could post them either to me via PMs or just post them on this thread. Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Jock.

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest soulmaguk

That would be great if you could post them either to me via PMs or just post them on this thread. Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Jock.

Ok, am going to re-activate this thread. Can anyone remember any tunes that may stand out for Rudies? always remember Majestics- I Love Her So Much, Miss D.D. Phillips - Little Girl, Babe Ruth - Elusive, bits & Peices - Keep On Running Away.....any more for you?

Social source share

Ok, am going to re-activate this thread. Can anyone remember any tunes that may stand out for Rudies? always remember Majestics- I Love Her So Much, Miss D.D. Phillips - Little Girl, Babe Ruth - Elusive, bits & Peices - Keep On Running Away.....any more for you?

Don Gardner - My Baby Likes To Boogaloo

Erma Franklin - Gotta Find Me A Lover

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest mickmac

I remember going to at least one bank holiday event,i think Ron Ped still had that bandage on and i think that Bub was in such a mess they had to cut his spot short,or maybe got it wrong.

I remember ending up there one Bank holiday week-end with Arthur Dudley and a few others from Chesterfield, this after Samantha's on the Friday night. Went down to the all dayer at Matlock on the bank holiday Monday afterwards.

Social source share

I remember going to at least one bank holiday event,i think Ron Ped still had that bandage on and i think that Bub was in such a mess they had to cut his spot short,or maybe got it wrong.

This was probably the one i went to when bub was lent on the railings outside gilly as i was going in, the best one there was the fancy dress, when tommy sheridan was dressed in a box painted as an oxo cube, needless to say he was wasted as tommy usually was and fell over on the dancefloor and couldn`t get up, he was flapping his arms and legs about like a tortoise laid on its backlaugh.giflaugh.gif happy days-Hthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

post-9749-12694537477549_thumb.jpg There ya go jock, think this was the day i was djing, rob smith was on before me, announced me on the mic and then said what you gonna play then son? he nearly fell over when i put yvonne vernee on the next decklaugh.giflaugh.gif good old days at rudies eh malc-H

That has brought some really good memories back, I recognise a few of those faces. Many Thanks.

Social source share

That has brought some really good memories back, I recognise a few of those faces. Many Thanks.

you should know em jock there all from york, got some others somewhere outside richard dolbens flat trying to start that monster of a scooter he used to have, we watched him trying to bump it off down the road, when it suddenly fired up dragging him down the streetlaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest yorks old boys

got some pics dig them out for you spent some cracking weekends in the four seasons and with the old crowd going to cleggy on the bus

Social source share

This was probably the one i went to when bub was lent on the railings outside gilly as i was going in, the best one there was the fancy dress, when tommy sheridan was dressed in a box painted as an oxo cube, needless to say he was wasted as tommy usually was and fell over on the dancefloor and couldn`t get up, he was flapping his arms and legs about like a tortoise laid on its backlaugh.giflaugh.gif happy days-Hthumbsup.gif

You and Gilly are right Harry . Bub was in a worse state that usual when he " tied one on " , and when I asked him if he was alright , he looked at me and said " Am I f**k Burton , but int it f**king great " :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

You and Gilly are right Harry . Bub was in a worse state that usual when he " tied one on " , and when I asked him if he was alright , he looked at me and said " Am I f**k Burton , but int it f**king great " laugh.gif

Malc Burton

laugh.giflaugh.gif i said to him as he was leant on the railngs outside "you ok bub?" i`m f**ked awld matelaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Remember 'em well. Dj'd at both, bank holiday all-dayers, for Paul Temple. No pics tho', sorry!

The Four Seasons :hypo:

I remember they had some stupid bylaws where you couldn't dance or drink between the hours 2 and 5 cording off the dance floor a :thumbsup: t an aldayer. I remember some of your set Trevski, Leslie Uggams 'Love is good foundation', Foundations 'Stoney ground' Hi Keys "Livin a lie' to name 3

My car Mavis, if that car could have talked, :hatsoff2: it would have been an adult version of Herbi with swear word on my super 8 cinni film nono.gif

ANdy. :no:

onto.gif

Social source share

I recall Speedy DJ'ing at Ruddies. For those that don't know Speedy he used to DJ at the Mojo in Sheffield.

The ladies were not allowed to dance on a Sunday. A local bye-law stated that when the fishing fleet went out on the Sunday, ladies could not strut their stuff on the dance floor. If they did, they were thrown down the stairs. There were a lot of stairs at Ruddies.

I was there every year with Mick Jennings, John Handley, Weasel and all the Conisbrough gang. On the way down to the Salsbury Arms from Ruddies, there was a chalk board in the window of the bank on the corner. You could see who had been arrested the previous night or day. The board wasn't big enough and the writing got smaller to fit all the names on. There were some sad times: I remember the last night Ruddies was open, it got completly trashed. Also some poor chap getting his throat slit on the beach. It wasn't all fun.

Bub used to stay with us in a guest house at the top end of Scarbrough opposite the railway station. Johnny Stanley also stayed in the same place. We used to bring over about 100-150 from Conisbrough, Edlington and Mexborough. Most came on their scooters. There were more fond memmories than sad ones.

heartandsoul

The Four Seasons :yes:

I remember they had some stupid bylaws where you couldn't dance or drink between the hours 2 and 5 cording off the dance floor a :lol: t an aldayer. I remember some of your set Trevski, Leslie Uggams 'Love is good foundation', Foundations 'Stoney ground' Hi Keys "Livin a lie' to name 3

My car Mavis, if that car could have talked, :lol: it would have been an adult version of Herbi with swear word on my super 8 cinni film :D

ANdy. :shades:

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Tommy Sheridan. Him and his girlfriend/wife moved to Scarboro' in the 80s, used to see him all the time then. smashin' fellow.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scarborosoul

2 big sounds from seasons (oops popular I mean)

Gloria Jones _ Tainted love

Rita de costa _ Dont bring me down

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE DAYS!!!!

Rick

Social source share

derek

I knew all those photos you used to take would one day come back to haunt me dereklaugh.giflaugh.gif hope your well old buddy-HARRYhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

I recall Speedy DJ'ing at Ruddies. For those that don't know Speedy he used to DJ at the Mojo in Sheffield.

The ladies were not allowed to dance on a Sunday. A local bye-law stated that when the fishing fleet went out on the Sunday, ladies could not strut their stuff on the dance floor. If they did, they were thrown down the stairs. There were a lot of stairs at Ruddies.

I was there every year with Mick Jennings, John Handley, Weasel and all the Conisbrough gang. On the way down to the Salsbury Arms from Ruddies, there was a chalk board in the window of the bank on the corner. You could see who had been arrested the previous night or day. The board wasn't big enough and the writing got smaller to fit all the names on. There were some sad times: I remember the last night Ruddies was open, it got completly trashed. Also some poor chap getting his throat slit on the beach. It wasn't all fun.

heartandsoul

Hi Mick .

The chap was the manager of TFS , John Wrona

John had been walking his dog on the beach after closing up one night / morning , and was murdered by an unknown attacker .

Rumours have it that it was someone John knew , and who had a grudge against him . His murderer has still has to be caught to this day .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Memories.............

First time I'd ever heard :'got it' - New York Port Authority, Voltaire Pier - Chocolate boys.

Cant Get a hold of myself and Better to have and dont need were huge.

Baby dont you weep and too darn soulfull, stubborn heart (sheppards version)

John Benson bringing scrumpy...............................

Martyn Ellis being himself

Stopping at Paul Temples flat to continue the party after 2.00am.......................

Rangers supporters club

Aberdeen Walk guest houses, including one run by Richard Dunn (snuu snuu)

Beer mats flying in Pickwicks

Mods v rockers on the beach (retro)

Witnessing some poor fooker getting his face sliced open with a wood saw when he obstucted the WRONG motorist...........Nasty

Mixing with those Goole folks who knew how to party.

Intense stuff, and worth every moment.

Ed

Social source share

• 1 month later...

post-9749-12735980039013_thumb.jpg

post-9749-12735980224361_thumb.jpg

Couple of old memberships from that timehatsoff2.gif

I could never figure out what it was on the front of the Rudie's MC . I always thought it be an adaptation of the Sandeman's Port design .

Anyone know what it was ?

Malc Burton

post-5097-127363753819.jpg

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest soulmaguk

I could never figure out what it was on the front of the Rudie's MC . I always thought it be an adaptation of the Sandeman's Port design .

Anyone know what it was ?

Malc Burton

think it was taken from a fashionable 70s drinks bottle. I will ask Paul Cooper, Jessie Pollucci and Jenny Scarlett who used to work there, they might know for sure.

post-5890-12760756609932_thumb.jpg

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!