Tell Me Its Just A Rumour

Can it be true that certain "big name" promotors are asking(telling) djs that appearing at rival events will end their appearances on "the Big Stage"?

Surely not.

I thought that our scene belonged to us, and we were all in it for the love of the music.

Or am I just naive.

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can it be true that certain "big name" promotors are asking(telling)  djs that appearing at rival events will end their appearances on "the Big Stage"?

Surely not.

I thought that our scene belonged to us, and we were all in it for the love of the music.

Or am I just naive.

Well, it's hardly groundbreaking news is it? That sort of practise has been going on as long as I have been on the soul scene. Be honest when was the last time a promoter asked you who you would like to see as a guest DJ at any regular soul clubs you attend?

Fraid it's all book ya mates or book a DJ from a club you fancy doing a spot at for the return compliment, or what used to be a North / South divide, but now is also a North / North / North /South divide :-))) All IMO

Social source share

Janine,

My sentiments echoed completely, and speaking from personal experience over the years, it's definitely a case of "it's not what you know, it's WHO you know" in some cliques (and I don't use that term lightly). I too have suffered at the hands of being blanked from odd playlists over the years, only to be replaced by a long-term friend of the promoter.

There is nothing more depressing than for someone like me to spend all their money (and in some cases, money that I don't even have) on their collection, with the sole purpose of DJ work, and therefore long to provide a deserving club with a guest spot, in the know that I will make the promoter and their punters happy. Those who have booked me in the past will know full well what I mean - I don't need to further waste time justifying my point of not being taken seriously.

What I will tell you for nothing is that I have been on the scene for 22 years with a passion; it's just such a damn shame it has to be marred by petulant politics. It just stinks.............

Gene

Social source share

Hey up! :-)

The thought of DJing on the Scene is something i never really got to grips with to be honest. These days i would rather attend and have a dance/chat and buy a few records to add to the collection and then go home to bed.

But maybe thats because i'm a boring old F*rt at 34 LOL.

To be honest djing is no big deal and when you look at the list of DJ's its all the same people but its always been like that and will only get smaller as people drop off and keep the records at home. There is no younger people on mass coming into the scene and as for new dj's who can cut the mustard well i ain't come across them either . I don't think its a worry as most of the current dj's have been collectors for over 20/30+ years and have massed large collections to feed their djing sets. If only they would look past the 30 odd same big records.

I stepped down from Djing as i fell into the above trap and bored myself shitl*ss. Yes i should of dug deeper but who doe's these days really? its the same old dj's playing the same old tunes to same old people with the exception of a tiny few. Nothing wrong with that just except it and treat it as a night out.

I hired the dj's at the CSC for over 5 years and yes i picked mates but also picked what i considered to be the cream of dj's. We also encouraged collectors to dj and gave then early spots (still do). When you have only a handfull of serious big money players (dj's) then they will be the first choices as they got the tunes...its always been that way and will never change....money money money its a dj's world. LOL

Those who don't get sets and feel they can do it then just send the promoter a tape or even better do what i did with my mate Alan...start your own club. I know all the guests will be out with the knifes after reading but i couldn't care less.....Enjoy yourselves all and appreciate what you got because many others have far less.

Stuttgart tonight come on the blues

carefree

greg

Social source share

Greg - agreed it's great at the Dome for new DJ's to spin the early spots, just look at Andy Faulkner, started going to do's through the CSC, and his ambition was always to DJ there, he's a good friend of our's, and there were a good few there just to support his spot, can't get any better eh!

I have never wanted to DJ, prefer to dance, drink and chat, been collecting some stuff for when I emigrate later this year and did a one off spot double decking at Prestwich, from that I was offered a few other gig's up North, apparently I did manage to play something different (but I still played The Entertainer) have said no though, my records are for me and the many BBQ's that the Perth crew do, apparently it's one a weekend at someone's house taking it in turns, bring a beer and a record to spin. London doesnt have enough do's to support the number of budding DJ's about, and certainly doesn't need any more venues either IMO

Looking forward to the return of Scensville sometime soon :-)))

Social source share

Hi Janine,

Good luck to ya girl....re too many clubs in London? agreed but maybe the key is to mix the music abit more. Look at Shotgun a new allnighter venture that will spin more than just the same northern stuff. Variety is the spice of life remember.... Right i gotta game to go to..look at the success of crossfire for example.

laters all

carefree

greg

ps The entertainer ....nothing wrong with that.

Social source share

Shotgun - Brilliant club, only made three of them so far and due to other clubs and a party one night only for a short time, but they really had got it right, so plesed they are now going to be nighters

Social source share

Read all with interest.

Greg-you talk about being bored playing the same sounds,this is something I feel strongly about and will expound further at a later date,however in the meantime I ask,was the playlist static because you didnt want to play fresh sounds or were the crowd not willing to experience them?

Back to my original somewhat tongue in cheek topic.

I was talking about the alleged widespread practice of independent

djs being warned off by some promotors that if they played at say Event A their services would never again be required at Events B, C or D.

This is not personal, it has never happened to me, nor is it likely to, but I dont want to be led around by the nose and not be able to hear sounds because the people that have them have been advised not to play at the events I choose to attend.

Anybody old enough might remember this.

I will not be

pushed

stamped

indexed

briefed

debriefed

or numbered

My life is my own

I am a free man.

sorry bit OTT but you know what I mean

What was it The Younghearts asked for?

Oh yeah A LITTLE TOGETHERNESS

tony

Social source share

its all a bit sad ,in my opinion the average punter is the one that loses out,or in some cases are the ££ signs the only thing driving the scene??

Social source share

Back to my original somewhat tongue in cheek topic.

I was talking about the alleged widespread practice of independent

djs being warned off by some promotors  that if they played at say Event A their services would never again be required at Events B, C or D.

This is not personal, it has never happened to me, nor is it likely to, but I dont want to be led around by the nose and not be able to hear sounds because the people that have them have been advised not to play at the events I choose to attend.

Oh yeah  A LITTLE TOGETHERNESS

tony

Simple answer is...yes it does happen. I have been told by a promoter that if I want to work for him I couldn't work at any similar event within two weeks either side of his event.

There again, if he is paying the wages, he is entitled to try and protect the exclusiveness of his event by protecting it through conditions of employment as such. It's quite a common practice in the real world.

I told him that I didn't want to DJ at his event.

When he buys my records for me, I'll reconsider :-)

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I have been considering running an event. And during my daydreaming I of course considered who I would like to DJ, and if I am honest, it would be all those dj's who I either know well and consider friends, or dj's I dont know but who play records I really like. It would take a brave promoter to hire a guy who plays records, of a genre, he cant stand.

I believe the majority of promoters begin doing it because they want to hear their fave types of music. I wouldnt dream of trying to run a heavy metal night, because a) I know nothing about it, and cool.gif I wouldnt enjoy the music.

If the promoter goes on to make a few quid, all well and good. More often than not that would result in the pennies being put towards that single he has previously been unable to afford, so the money more or less stays within the soul fraternity. Either that, or a more shrewd promoter would bank the proceeds from a good night, for nights when for whatever reason the door money may not cover expenses.

The fact that some promoters would tell DJs they couldnt play elsewhere is ridiculous, but not surprising. There are so many ego's involved, that when a DJ or promoter is surrounded by so many 'yes men', they get a little precious when someone makes even constructive criticism.

The only way in which we, as the soul public can make our feelings known, is by not visiting places where these things go on. As was the case with Metropolitan Soul allnighters in London. Run by 2 great lads, in a fantastic venue, but destroyed by an ego, resulting in tiny attendances and eventual closure.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

i think i know the ego you're talking about. i've known him for over 30 years. has he got an ego bloody right he has. still he's finished now couldn't find enough white unknowns to spin. i've never been one to be told where and when i can d.j. those who do i just feel sorry for 'em. no backbone.

Social source share

think i know the ego you're talking about. i've known him for over 30 years. has he got an ego bloody right he has. still he's finished now couldn't find enough white unknowns to spin.

Dave wasnt talking about IL if that's who your referring to Mick! The person he is reffering to is still doing the odd spot here and there (at his own events) ;-))))

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!