Post Stafford Classics

Actually Ive spoken to a few people and no one remembers the final Stafford . Strange hey :lol:

I remember it Si, but not the date.........it was when the owner stopped the music and got on stage giving everyone a lecture they didn't want.

We established a while ago that this was the last night.

But the date...............?

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

• Replies 500
  • Views 31.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Sidney Joe Quails-I Dont Do This-20th Century

Willie Pickett-On the Stage of Life-Soul Pot

Eddie Hughes-Soul Seacher-Bard

Inmates-This Is the Day-Kolpit

Unique Blend-Yes, Im I Love-Eastbound

God, there's some cracking stuff been discovered/played since the mighty TOTW........there''s life in the old scene yet !!!!.

Russ

Social source share

I remember it Si, but not the date.........it was when the owner stopped the music and got on stage giving everyone a lecture they didn't want.

We established a while ago that this was the last night.

But the date...............?

Cheers,

Mark R

Blimey :lol: I'd say it needs that book writing before it fades away

Social source share

Doing the CD first with Ian, then maybe a book when I get the barns finished :lol:

At least you can refresh yourself on the key details for the liner notes with the help of SS contributors, y'know salient things like opening date/closing date/DJ line-ups etc, etc! :lol:

That Harold Melvin poster that Chalky just posted would be handy for the booklet too! Also we may need to track down a couple of music files too..........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Was Gladys Knight's To Late.. Post or before or at the time ?

Defo Stafford. One of Dave's I think.

One of my faves all time.

Social source share

So when did Guy & Keb join the ranks.

Im sure that was 1984 as Soul Sam left with Searling ?

Heres a few post Stafford tunes

Curtis Anderson " The Hardest part"

Ronnie Barnes and Rush Hour " You got my heart"

Push "Turn me on"

Freedom "High on you"

Hirim and Direct " Love flight"

:lol:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Potentiall loads more...........so what are your post Stafford era tunes, you feel deserve classic status ????????????

Lord Luther & The Counts "It`s Tough" Lusan 101

I only know of this beeing a Mark Forrest spinn at Hip City so correct me if I'm rong but it sound fantastic up loud and a classic in the making IMO,

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

There must be a whole swathe of Blackburn tunes.

After Stafford closed this was the only nighter I really went to regularly, before getting involved in live music.

Blackburn stuck with the quest to find and break new tunes, I guess under Guy's influence.

Its a Pity Dan is taking a break, he must have a list of tunes popular at Coventry too.

Social source share

Sorry for highjacking Russ. whistling.gif

So I guess post Stafford will be mid '86 onwards.......?

Ian D :D

Yeah, '86 to present I think would be good............wasnt being rude BTW Ian, there is just such a plethora of fantastic records been discovered & I think it'll do people a world of good to realise that great tunes have been discovered since & continue to be discovered NOW............do you lot consider the tunes mentioned already to be classics ???????????..........I think many are & stand up against the finds/plays from previous eras no problem what so ever.

Russ

Social source share

And that's my flyer I gave to you Chalky :D:lol: ..........can see the pinhole in the top where it was on my wall!!

I think they ended up in a Manifesto a year or two back too.

Cheers,

Mark R

It probably was Mark, I know you sent me this and your membership card I think unsure.gif

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Yeah, '86 to present I think would be good............wasnt being rude BTW Ian, there is just such a plethora of fantastic records been discovered & I think it'll do people a world of good to realise that great tunes have been discovered since & continue to be discovered NOW............do you lot consider the tunes mentioned already to be classics ???????????..........I think many are & stand up against the finds/plays from previous eras no problem what so ever.

Russ

:D Russ with out a doubt most stand up and may it long continue, "KEEP ON DIGGING" you know it makes sense thumbsup.gif

Steve J

Social source share

There must be a whole swathe of Blackburn tunes.

After Stafford closed this was the only nighter I really went to regularly, before getting involved in live music.

Blackburn stuck with the quest to find and break new tunes, I guess under Guy's influence.

Its a Pity Dan is taking a break, he must have a list of tunes popular at Coventry too.

DAN REALLY DIDNT HAVE MUCH TO DO WITH THE COVENTRY SCENE A FEW NIGHTS THATS ABOUT IT WITH RUDZY AND GUY H

HE DIDNT EVEN LIVE THERE !!

Edited by TOAD
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Arthur Prysock-I was a boy

Not really a classic as I have the only copy, but was very popular at The Ritz for the four years I DJ'd there.

Fantastic record, Dave - whoever it's by, 'cos that's definitely not Arthur Prysock singing...

Social source share

Russ

This thread's really handy actually Russ. thumbup.gif

A lot of the 70's Nighter regulars had taken a break in the 80's & 90's to marry, have kids, advance careers and so forth, and maybe didn't get back into it for a while, so to many people both Stafford and post Stafford can be a bit of a blur musically - one of the reasons why there's so much ignorance about this era from some quarters. Many people simply don't know the tunes.......I'm still playing catch-up myself.......

Also there wasn't much in the way of Stafford or post Stafford compilations to catch up with either. Did much of this stuff come out on Goldmine? Either way, it's certainly an era which needs documenting........

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

September Jones - Give me all of yr love has that been mentioned ??

Both of Flynny's September Jones discoveries are superb.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Fantastic record, Dave - whoever it's by, 'cos that's definitely not Arthur Prysock singing...

whoever it turns out to be they can't half belt out a tune!

:D It gets better with plays just conected the hifi to the pc to play this up very loud & treat half of Melton Mowbray to some real soul! .................. swoon.gif

Social source share

A lot of the 70's Nighter regulars had taken a break in the 80's & 90's to marry, have kids, advance careers and so forth, and maybe didn't get back into it for a while, so to many people both Stafford and post Stafford can be a bit of a blur musically - one of the reasons why there's so much ignorance about this era from some quarters. Many people simply don't know the tunes.......I'm still playing catch-up myself.......

Also there wasn't much in the way of Stafford or post Stafford compilations to catch up with either. Did much of this stuff come out on Goldmine? Either way, it's certainly an era which needs documenting........

Good point Ian............I think some have been comped, but dont neccessarily reflect that they are post Stafford, I also think that maybe Kent aside, previous eras are more commercially viable.

Russ

Social source share

Mellow Souls, Blue Jays

Blue Jays was Stafford Im pretty sure.......altho again has been huge since...........I was pretty sure September Jones was Stafford Tony ????.......obviously has had plays since & yes I know David found the unissued September Jones cut imortalised at the Dome g.gif ???? anyone ???

Russ

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Agreed - I never went to Stafford - or anywhere else much in the mid 80s, other than the National Film Theatre - so it's helping me to get a bit of new persepctive. Please keep the lists coming, y'all!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!