Post Stafford Classics

Good point Ian............I think some have been comped, but dont neccessarily reflect that they are post Stafford, I also think that maybe Kent aside, previous eras are more commercially viable.

Russ

Thinking about it further, packaged & promoted properly with good liner notes, this could be a very interesting CD comp methinks.

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 500
  • Views 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thinking about it further, packaged & promoted properly with good liner notes, this could be a very interesting CD comp methinks.

Russ

I'm sure that my colleague Mr. C is lurking locally and might be in a position to help!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

How about Barbara Lynn - This is the thanks I get?

Pretty cheap, but absolutley superb. It was new to me in the mid 90s when I got back on board.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Potentiall loads more...........so what are your post Stafford era tunes, you feel deserve classic status ????????????

I never went to Stafford and only beeing back into collecting sinse 98ish I lost out on a lot of essential soul but tracks that i like now and did not know in 82ish when i left are

Strangers Night Winds

The M-M & the Peanuts The Phillie

George Wydell Out of Nowhere

Ernestine Anderson You're not the guy for me

Lil Gary Out of nowhere

Lewis Clark If you ever ever leave me

Willie Feaster I've been waiting

Chancellors Places we once knew

Darlings Two time loser

Earles Inc Just an illusion

Ida Sands you came along

Joe Haywood i cross my heart

Jim Nabbie Look hear girl.

plus a lot more.

not sure when the above where played but i would not of minded beeing there!

Steve J

Social source share

Rumour has it that there's Stafford and post-Stafford 100 Club albums in the works to cover this neglected period! Long overdue by the looks of it..........

Ian D :D

Absolutely 100% on that.................there are hundreds of fantastic 100 club plays that obviously during that part of the 8ts, ran consecutively with Stafford, but since is the single most influential venue, constantly breaking new tunes.......yes, other venues have come & gone & added a wealth of new plays, but for sheer longevity & the amount of newies played thru out that time the 100 Club is King...........long live the King !!!!!.

Russ

Social source share

Old Time Lover MJL Phworr! :yes:

Can you get this on your CD a right proper Discovery.

One of my absolute faves, fantastic & right up there with anything past or present......this is a cover up as far as Im aware, so inclusion on our CD comp looks dodgy.......but fantastic NS none the less.

Russ

Social source share

One of my absolute faves, fantastic & right up there with anything past or present......this is a cover up as far as Im aware, so inclusion on our CD comp looks dodgy.......but fantastic NS none the less.

:ph34r:

He doesn't know who it really is just think it sounds like her I am still under the impression its Virtue Philadelphia sound from all those drums and I think a Melatrome organ, I have a King Crimson LP Court Of The Crimson King that has that sound on it.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

How about Marvin gayes unissued version of When I feel the need played by Chris King if i'm not mistaken and covered up as its my baby even though Nick ashford had already released it on verve. That said the two versions are poles apart.

I think it stands out from crowd even now a real piece of full on Northern its got the lot for me, and Bill Bush hasn't been mentioned either love it or hate it, it always fills the floor.

Darren

Social source share

How about Marvin gayes unissued version of When I feel the need played by Chris King if i'm not mistaken and covered up as its my baby even though Nick ashford had already released it on verve. That said the two versions are poles apart.

I think it stands out from crowd even now a real piece of full on Northern its got the lot for me, and Bill Bush hasn't been mentioned either love it or hate it, it always fills the floor.

Darren

Nice one mate..........Im not familiar with the MG Im ashamed to say, altho' if I heard it I may know it, Bill Bush has to be in there, of course played by Gary Spencer for years before it eventually went huge, was covered up for an age, so probably why.

Cheers mate

Russ

Social source share

Darren

Think you will find Terry Davies was the chap championing this track and don't remember it being covered up, could be wrong but doubt it,

Social source share

Nice one mate..........Im not familiar with the MG Im ashamed to say, altho' if I heard it I may know it, Bill Bush has to be in there, of course played by Gary Spencer for years before it eventually went huge, was covered up for an age, so probably why.

Cheers mate

Russ

Weird I don't know this one Nick Ashford MG is great I have it on a CD some where.

Social source share

Think you will find Terry Davies was the chap championing this track and don't remember it being covered up, could be wrong but doubt it,

Was this the one that was on Radio 2's All Singing etc Prestwhich special ?????if so I love this, but had totally disappeared from play lists by the time I returned from living Sateside.

Russ

Social source share

Was this the one that was on Radio 2's All Singing etc Prestwhich special ?????if so I love this, but had totally disappeared from play lists by the time I returned from living Sateside.

Russ

Thats the one Russ, 400+ dancers all clapping in time, with TD screaming UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Lorraine Chandler - You only live twice

Marvin Gaye - Love starved heart

Magicians - (Just a little) faith & understanding

Delores Clark - Livin' to please

Four Vandals - Wrong side of town ph34r.gif

Simon

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Ian Clarke, Stafford tune wink.gif

Again, one of my all time faves.

I'd need a top 1,000 just to list them at this rate.

I think it would be 100% possible to have an 8 hour allnighter just playing my absolute favourite tunes (Once only), and there'd still be another 8 hours worth of the stuff I've forgotten.

How about the guys who've been into this 20 years longer than me? They'd need a 2 week Soul in the sun :D

Social source share

Soul City - Cold hearted blues

Willie Kendrick - Change your ways

Lula Reed - Walk on by

Jackie Wilson - Because of you

Sea Shells - Quiet home

Dee Dee Sharpe - Deep dark secret

Barbara Dane - I'm on my way

Benny Spellman - This is for you my love

Ace Spectrum - Don't send nobody else

Spinners - I just want to fall in love

Simon unsure.gif

Social source share

Lorraine Chandler - You only live twice

Marvin Gaye - Love starved heart

Magicians - (Just a little) faith & understanding

Delores Clark - Livin' to please

Four Vandals - Wrong side of town ph34r.gif

Simon

Cheers Simon..........good choices wont comment on the 4V tho' altho RS played the MG at WC, obviously reactivated much later when the promo 45's surfaced.

Russ

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Lula Reed - Walk on by

Sea Shells - Quiet home

Simon unsure.gif

"Change Your Ways" is a pre-Stafford classic, having been played extensively at the Mecca etc....

Social source share

"Change Your Ways" is a pre-Stafford classic, having been played extensively at the Mecca etc....

Cheers Tony, fantastic record!

Simon thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Lula Reed - Walk on by

Sea Shells - Quiet home

Simon unsure.gif

70s Oldie, Simon.

One the way to niters we thought it funny to try to hold conversations in just song titles. This was a much used one to get out of a tricky impasse.

Another RCA one that may have been later tho, Anne Heywood - Crook his little finger.

Not my cup of tea though.

Social source share

I remember it Si, but not the date.........it was when the owner stopped the music and got on stage giving everyone a lecture they didn't want.

We established a while ago that this was the last night.

But the date...............?

Cheers,

Mark R

=====

remember the night well Mark,,twas there meself

the guy spouting on about a boy meeting a girl ...etc

then mark green shouting 'f**k off' in the middle of his speech...

must have been 86 ish

think the 1st stafford of this era was April 82 as the the 1st anniversary was april with Harold Melvin live

Edited by wiganer1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Absolutely... then again, the flipside "What's That On Your Finger" might qualify?

Don't recall hearing that played out until the late 80's.

I'd make you right there, mate. yes.gif

Social source share

70s Oldie, Simon.

One the way to niters we thought it funny to try to hold conversations in just song titles. This was a much used one to get out of a tricky impasse.

Another RCA one that may have been later tho, Anne Heywood - Crook his little finger.

Not my cup of tea though.

Big tune for Guy H at Stafford

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Absolutely... then again, the flipside "What's That On Your Finger" might qualify?

Don't recall hearing that played out until the late 80's.

Which is probably what I was thinking of when posting Anne Heywood

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

OK, it's got to be said - and please don't all rush to punch me at once...

... if we're going by prolonged popularity among paying punters, Dean Barlow is surely a post-Stafford classic yes.gif:D:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert