• Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thanks TOAD , Dave and Quinvy :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I cannot compare both.

Seller said: "as far as i,m aware this is the original copy from 1973 which is printed on the label. in the deadwax are the numbers 3972 gsfs 1011 s43021"

But this deadwaxnumbers are also on my reissue....so :thumbup:

Tolbert

Social source share

hi,

mr manship explained it to me once long ago,

if i remember correctly the re-issue has a bit of a lip on the outside edge,

and the run-out is wider ( 9/8ths ) than on the original,

the original also has a round white sticker on the front cover,

you can always check with him to make sure,

joe.

Social source share

hi,

joe.

Thanks Joe,

this should help.

Tolbert

Social source share

hi,

here's a scan of the original,

i notice the re-issue has the gsf logo in the bottom right -hand corner and this has not,

joe.

Joe, on the popsike page ALL the copies have the GSF logo in the bottom right : popsike

And the white sticker with "I'm your pimp" must be a later pressing, after that track had some success.

I think John Manship is right. But I just have the reissue. :thumbup:

Edited by Philippe
Social source share

Guest Adrian

Joe, on the popsike page ALL the copies have the GSF logo in the bottom right : popsike

And the white sticker with "I'm your pimp" must be a later pressing, after that track had some success.

I think John Manship is right. But I just have the reisue. sad.gif

I have always considered the issue with the printed 'sticker' to be original. I am pretty sure i'm your pimp was'nt a single was it?

bit of record company hype i thought...

I have a copy like this and I would consider it an original,.....

Social source share

Guest candj45

hi all,its my copy of the skullsnaps on ebay at the moment.I realise that now that it is a reissue, my fault for not doing enough research on it. As i bought it in the states last year i genuinly thought it was an original.

my apologies to all i must take more lessons at the soul school.

yours,

craig

Social source share

I have always considered the issue with the printed 'sticker' to be original. I am pretty sure i'm your pimp was'nt a single was it?

bit of record company hype i thought...

I have a copy like this and I would consider it an original,.....

You're right, I bought it in 75 or 76 and it had the sticker on despite I'm Your Pimp never being issued as a single. It used to be 8 or 10 quid and there were hundreds about.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

hi,

joe.

The "round white sticker" you refer to is actually PRINTED onto the cover. Matrix code is stamped on run-out groove rather than scratched, if that means anything, ie. GSF - S -1011 A on a-side GSF - S - 1011 B on b-side (natch!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Probably a bloody stupid question but;-

is there any way to tell an original that's still sealed? ( one arrived today - it's not got the printed sticker on and can't really tell if it's matt or shiny but cover does look thin!)

TIA

Julian

I'd say if the cover is thin its a re-issue Julian, the originals are thick and gatefold.

Social source share

I'd say if the cover is thin its a re-issue Julian, the originals are thick and gatefold.

Hi Adrian

It is a gatefold cover. Earlier in this thread it states that the reissues have thicker covers than the originals.

The plot thickens - looks like I'm going to have to open it to check the deadwax, label etc as per Mr Manship unless anyone else has any ideas? PLEASE!

Social source share

Hi Adrian

It is a gatefold cover. Earlier in this thread it states that the reissues have thicker covers than the originals.

The plot thickens - looks like I'm going to have to open it to check the deadwax, label etc as per Mr Manship unless anyone else has any ideas? PLEASE!

Julian / Phillipe, not sure how many times it was re-issued/booted, when booted they seem to do a better job in doing covers which are hard too tell.

Have my copy infront of me now, cat no top right, GSF bot right, printed 'sticker' under cat no. Matt sleeve & label.

When opened the skeleton and tracklisting artwork is pasted on as a 24" complete print, not sure if the re would be different, maybe is printed directly onto the sleeve?

Also the inside gatefold is brown (re-issues are often white).

I have always collected 70's soul, funk & jazz lps, and you can generally just 'tell', even give it a sniff (yours is sealed so...)....I say generally but 80's lps can be damn tricky!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I have always collected 70's soul, funk & jazz lps, and you can generally just 'tell', even give it a sniff (yours is sealed so...)....I say generally but 80's lps can be damn tricky!

There have been quite a few facsimile reissues in recent years - rare 12"s too, which if you've never seen an original copy would be damned difficult to spot. I foresee much confusion in the near future as the reissues get a bit scuffed! (Perhaps we should start a database listing all the recent vinyl reissues!)

Social source share

Julian / Phillipe, not sure how many times it was re-issued/booted, when booted they seem to do a better job in doing covers which are hard too tell.

Have my copy infront of me now, cat no top right, GSF bot right, printed 'sticker' under cat no. Matt sleeve & label.

When opened the skeleton and tracklisting artwork is pasted on as a 24" complete print, not sure if the re would be different, maybe is printed directly onto the sleeve?

Also the inside gatefold is brown (re-issues are often white).

Well, opened it up and it's got a scratched in matrix, so looks like a reissue. Never mind it was only cheap!

Julian

Social source share

• 10 years later...

Thought I'd resurrect this rather than start a new thread. Are these Italian copies reissues? (disco depositato / made in Italy /  tutti i diritti riservato) I was thinking yes, but stamped matrix MLCS 8469 22-2-73. Could the 22-2-73 be a stamped press date 22 Feb 1973? Fanciful I know but got me thinking (should have posted tomorrow, 46th anniversary!!) Gatefold sleeve, but thin card and glossy?

Any info, thanks, Dean.

52457277_2191418437840120_8673413144028119040_n.jpg

52546722_800530796987978_152505552717479936_n.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!