Northern Soul For The Middle Aged Crowd

Was talking to a mate and we got onto the subject of the different events on this scene of ours..

We talked about promotions and the ammount of different events on offer... Can anyone tell me if they were at any of them northern soul dinner and dance events?? how did it go down???? was it chicken in a basket/candles and soft piped music or pasta baked in speed and stompers all the way :lol:

did i once see a flyer with a chicken on the record decks for some dinner/soul event?? or was it some warped mad dream after a weekend of no sleep..

As we see from the events page and flyers on tables, its a really fragmented scene, i like that aspect of it in some ways.. It means we can get so many different experiences on our travels around the uk and overseas...

Will promoters continue to take into account the ever changing moods of the soul crowd??? with regards to age and the tempo and style of the music.... Its Monday, lets have a debate :ohmy: ..

Anyway back to that chicken on the record decks laugh.gif , please tell me it was for real or i will have to see the shrink to get it out of my head..

Is northern soul bingo the next big thing along with Northern soul line dancing/ care homes/ theme cafe etc etc etc..

Will we see them soul patches stitched on our slippers :lol:

As i have said before.. This scene is a broad church indeed...

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

did i once see a flyer with a chicken on the record decks for some dinner/soul event?? or was it some warped mad dream after a weekend of no sleep..

Anyway back to that chicken on the record decks :lol: , please tell me it was for real or i will have to see the shrink to get it out of my head..

Up in leeds for the weekend about 3 years ago I saw a flyer advertising Kenny Burrell playing a northern set in a restaurant as some kind of food and music themed evening.

Didn't bother going as it didn't appeal to me at all. Northern is for dancing not eating.

Social source share

They could have Northern Soul shopping nights in Supermarkets...A friend who works in Asda tells me that during the day they play slow pleasant music...then when they are about to close play more hurried music to get people out of the door...so you could have Soul Ballads in the day...then 100 mile an hour stompers when closing...so that you could get rid of all those soulies with their trollies full of baked bean tins :lol:

Social source share

I see nothing wrong with Soul & food, especially where I live. If you attend a weekender in Spain, a big, long drawn out lunch (or dinner) is an integral part of the event. Ice is broken, friendships are made with people getting to know each other prior to the event, with much quaffing of wine & beer. I think it's highly civilised. It has nothing to do with age either, given that the average Soulboy/girl in Spain is around 30. I've always thought the UK punter could learn something from it. It doesn't have to be chicken-in-a-basket any more than it has to be Leibfraumilch.

UK people prefer to go to warm up events. I prefer the 'community' of a good restaurant, but then I live in Spain, not Peterborough. It's all culture.

Social source share

I see nothing wrong with Soul & food, especially where I live. If you attend a weekender in Spain, a big, long drawn out lunch (or dinner) is an integral part of the event. Ice is broken, friendships are made with people getting to know each other prior to the event, with much quaffing of wine & beer. I think it's highly civilised. It has nothing to do with age either, given that the average Soulboy/girl in Spain is around 30. I've always thought the UK punter could learn something from it. It doesn't have to be chicken-in-a-basket any more than it has to be Leibfraumilch.

UK people prefer to go to warm up events. I prefer the 'community' of a good restaurant, but then I live in Spain, not Peterborough. It's all culture.

This is the important bit, before not during................had a massive argument with someone about Chicken inna Basket Soul Nights few years ago, I know none of us are getting any younger, but apart from cleaner bogs & not having to go thru the pain of actually getting to venues in anyway you could including jumping the train, hitching (& I actually hitched from Plymouth to Hinckley one night & back), one night even ended up in a stolen car, loooooooooooooooooooooooong story, missed the coach to Wigan from the Brit, totally gutted, mate(ish) turns up in a motor, didnt know it was nicked until we got to WC !!!!!!!!!!!!!................Yeah, so apart from that I dont want all the other shit, keep it in the gutter, thats what makes it exciting.

Russ

Social source share

This is the important bit, before not during................had a massive argument with someone about Chicken inna Basket Soul Nights few years ago, I know none of us are getting any younger, but apart from cleaner bogs & not having to go thru the pain of actually getting to venues in anyway you could including jumping the train, hitching (& I actually hitched from Plymouth to Hinckley one night & back), one night even ended up in a stolen car, loooooooooooooooooooooooong story, missed the coach to Wigan from the Brit, totally gutted, mate(ish) turns up in a motor, didnt know it was nicked until we got to WC !!!!!!!!!!!!!................Yeah, so apart from that I dont want all the other shit, keep it in the gutter, thats what makes it exciting.

Russ

You must try a Spanish Soul weekender Russ (if you ain't already) & then we'll talk.

I don't like gutters. :huh:

M

Social source share

Up in leeds for the weekend about 3 years ago I saw a flyer advertising Kenny Burrell playing a northern set in a restaurant as some kind of food and music themed evening.

Didn't bother going as it didn't appeal to me at all. Northern is for dancing not eating.

Steve.

No, you're not imagining it.

yes, I can't remember the name of the restaurant now. It's a restaurant group - I didn't realise they were still doing this. They have one in Leeds, one in Manchester and I think possibly one in the midlands. This is going to annoy me now. LOL :lol:

I can tell you that manchester one was on the third friday. Neil Jones has DJ'd at both restaurants, Richard Searling and Kev Roberts have done them too... (might be wron g but I'm sure Baz Maleady did and quite a number of others as well). Sorry to be so vague and unhelpful. lol biggrin.gif

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

It would make a nice difference to all the dross music we have to listen to whilst eating out in restuarants then the dancing will come later after the food has gone down when we go onto the dance venue.

Social source share

It would make a nice difference to all the dross music we have to listen to whilst eating out in restuarants then the dancing will come later after the food has gone down when we go onto the dance venue.

There was no going onto another venue, thats the point, it was all in the same room, chicken in a basket, a bottle of wine and then straight into aspin and backdrop.. I bet they had more than talc on the floor :boxing:

I was more interested to know about the flyer/photo of the cooked chicken going round on two turntables :thumbup: , was it just a dream i had or for real...

Don't know anyone that was at these events, were they busy nights????

Social source share

The chicken on the turntables sounds familiar Steve.. unless I had the same dream as you, which is too disturbing a prospect to even contemplate.... :thumbup::boxing:

Social source share

The chicken on the turntables sounds familiar Steve.. unless I had the same dream as you, which is too disturbing a prospect to even contemplate.... :boxing:laugh.gif

Its our quest then Rachel to fing the holy grail...

If anybody can come up with the flyer then please pass it on to me or put it on this posting... I need closure on this :thumbup: , and something to make me smile on Suicide Tuesday with rain and clouds..

Maybe i did see the flyer in Manifesto or some glossy type magazine??? really not sure at all... As Jane said, about 3 years ago sounds about right..

Social source share

Was talking to a mate and we got onto the subject of the different events on this scene of ours..

We talked about promotions and the ammount of different events on offer... Can anyone tell me if they were at any of them northern soul dinner and dance events?? how did it go down???? was it chicken in a basket/candles and soft piped music or pasta baked in speed and stompers all the way :lol:

As we see from the events page and flyers on tables, its a really fragmented scene, i like that aspect of it in some ways.. It means we can get so many different experiences on our travels around the uk and overseas...

Will promoters continue to take into account the ever changing moods of the soul crowd??? with regards to age and the tempo and style of the music.... Its Monday, lets have a debate :yes: ..

Anyway back to that chicken on the record decks :lol: , please tell me it was for real or i will have to see the shrink to get it out of my head..

Is northern soul bingo the next big thing along with Northern soul line dancing/ care homes/ theme cafe etc etc etc..

Will we see them soul patches stitched on our slippers :unsure:

As i have said before.. This scene is a broad church indeed...

You're not dreaming! Put Soul dinner in the search box and then go to page 7 for 2005! Look for your post!

Social source share

You must try a Spanish Soul weekender Russ (if you ain't already) & then we'll talk.

I don't like gutters. :thumbup:

M

No, I agree with you with regard to the social bits before mate, just the actual Nighters I prefer to be a little :D ...........kinda hate the sterilising of the scene & 'Chicken inna Basket' & 'Soul Dinner Dances' are as far from true NS ethos as ya can get.........are you at Hitsville Mac.........cos if you are I can feel a Paella n Sangria Fest coming on :thumbsup: .............

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

Oh yeah that would be even better steve, all in the same venue would be great - I thought you meant the dj's were playing music in the restaurant without a dancefloor then go on somewhere else. I'd love to go to an event like this.

quote name='little-stevie' date='Sep 2 08, 02:37 PM' post='858038']

There was no going onto another venue, thats the point, it was all in the same room, chicken in a basket, a bottle of wine and then straight into aspin and backdrop.. I bet they had more than talc on the floor :thumbup:

I was more interested to know about the flyer/photo of the cooked chicken going round on two turntables :lol: , was it just a dream i had or for real...

Don't know anyone that was at these events, were they busy nights????

Social source share

|I love the sound of this. I'd love to experience it.

Phil

Social source share

Its our quest then Rachel to fing the holy grail...

If anybody can come up with the flyer then please pass it on to me or put it on this posting... I need closure on this :unsure: , and something to make me smile on Suicide Tuesday with rain and clouds..

Maybe i did see the flyer in Manifesto or some glossy type magazine??? really not sure at all... As Jane said, about 3 years ago sounds about right..

Here you go Steve - here's a link >LINK< to it!! Wasn't my bag so didn't attend, but didn't hear afterwards..... Hope you're good matey and see you soon, Rich

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Here you go Steve - here's a link >LINK< to it!! Wasn't my bag so didn't attend, but didn't hear afterwards..... Hope you're good matey and see you soon, Rich

I went to that! Well i turned up late a few times after DJing elsewhere in Leeds, cant comment on the food as i didn't eat, just remember the DJs playing from a laptop... :unsure:

Ste.

Social source share

As you've said Pike, there were a couple in Leeds. I know someone who went. Said it was like being at a wedding reception. Maily chart Motown etc. RS and KR dj'd if my memory serves me correctly.

And it was advertised in either Manifesto or Togetherness, on glossy paper.

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

As you've said Pike, there were a couple in Leeds. I know someone who went. Said it was like being at a wedding recetion. Maily chart Motown etc. RS and KR dj'd if my memory serves me correctly.

And it was advertised in either Manifesto or Togetherness, on glossy paper.

...the music was all pretty obvious / poor from memory.

Ste.

Social source share

Mrs B was at Rochdale Town Hall on business a few weeks ago and came home with the idea of;-

Northern Soul Tea Dances - having just watched a normal one in progress.

How long before these take off?

What age do you have to be to attend?

What era of vinyl to be played and what tempo?

How old have the DJs to be?

Answers on a postcard please!

Social source share

I went to that! Well i turned up late a few times after DJing elsewhere in Leeds, cant comment on the food as i didn't eat, just remember the DJs playing from a laptop... :lol:

Ste.

Cheers for info mate.... It seems they did not take off then..

Its that flyer that we want to see, if it did exist... The cooked chicken on the turntables is what we are looking for (and then they go use a labtop) rolleyes.gif:lol: ..

Who can find that holy grail :lol:

Social source share

Its that flyer that we want to see, if it did exist... The cooked chicken on the turntables is what we are looking for (and then they go use a labtop) rolleyes.gif:lol: ..

It was Leeds, and they're not very particular what they eat up there, so is this any good Stevie ?

post-3339-1220455138_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Steve have you got any back issues of NSoul? It was advertised on one of the back covers I'm sure. Mine are all in a box in the garage but I definitely remember them being advertised. Northern Soul Dinner and dance or something like that :lol:

Social source share

Mrs B was at Rochdale Town Hall on business a few weeks ago and came home with the idea of;-

Some of us already play Northern Soul Bingo.. tick off the oldies/ 'biggies' as they're played... whistling.gif

Social source share

Some of us already play Northern Soul Bingo ... whistling.gif

4 and 5. Forty five - only if its played in its original vinyl format

All the 3's. Thirty three. - Bit dodgy unless its album only.

2 and 1. Twenty one - To young to be on the scene.

5 and 2. Fifty two. - Anybody younger in tonight.

6 and 9. Sixty Nine - no good records made after that

7 and 5. Seventy five. - Got to be disco.

Social source share

4 and 5. Forty five - only if its played in its original vinyl format

All the 3's. Thirty three. - Bit dodgy unless its album only.

2 and 1. Twenty one - To young to be on the scene.

5 and 2. Fifty two. - Anybody younger in tonight.

6 and 9. Sixty Nine - no good records made after that

7 and 5. Seventy five. - Got to be disco.

8 and 1.... The end of the world ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

To the answer of Darts you can get Electronic dart boards many made with no 25 just a bigger bullseye and is played in Germany and America a lot as in put money in and your ready to play. Bob Anderson 1988 world champion played for England in Electronic darts on Eurosport many years back

On with the serious note there is a soul dinner and dance happening in Peterborough soon. it's been advertised on local radio and i don't know what to make of it. You can pay to have the meal and enjoy the music or just pay for the night and not food. don't know if that is something i would go to. dinner and soul don't mix unless your KFC LOL

Social source share

I could just see me tucking into my apple pie and custard and then on comes Eddie Parker.. Custard goes tits as i rush for the floor, just about to hit the dancefloor and then my little beeper goes off, its a message from the soul police at headquarters, its the lab top and boots division...

Its says warning warning, booooooooot in the house, leave the building now, this venue will self destruct in 5 mins... :thumbup:

Social source share

Steve have you got any back issues of NSoul? It was advertised on one of the back covers I'm sure. Mine are all in a box in the garage but I definitely remember them being advertised. Northern Soul Dinner and dance or something like that :no:

Yes you're right Reg. It was N.Soul - Neil Jones has a copy I'm sure. If I find a copy at home over the weekend, I'll put the pic up. :yes:

The guy at Leeds with the laptop - I'm fairly sure he was called Wayne Kennedy.

It was all 'northern soul by numbers' and only a small number of soulie's went. It was aimed at a more commercial market.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

I could just see me tucking into my apple pie and custard and then on comes Eddie Parker.. Custard goes tits as i rush for the floor, just about to hit the dancefloor and then my little beeper goes off, its a message from the soul police at headquarters, its the lab top and boots division...

Its says warning warning, booooooooot in the house, leave the building now, this venue will self destruct in 5 mins... :no:

What a waste of custard :yes:

Social source share

Its says warning warning, booooooooot in the house, leave the building now, this venue will self destruct in 5 mins... :)

LOL PMSL!.. :D - great, now the office have heard my laughing.. again! :no: and probably know I'm clearly not doing month end stuff.. :yes:

Noo, dont they start the disco after you're meal?. I'm sure they do, becuase when you've just had a 3 course meal and you're stuffed & can hardly move, getting up dancing is just what you want to do.. (not!).

Never made sense to me.

Jayne.x

Social source share

LOL PMSL!.. :) - great, now the office have heard my laughing.. again! :no: and probably know I'm clearly not doing month end stuff.. :yes:

Noo, dont they start the disco after you're meal?. I'm sure they do, becuase when you've just had a 3 course meal and you're stuffed & can hardly move, getting up dancing is just what you want to do.. (not!).

Never made sense to me.

Jayne.x

No me neither - never been a fan of going for a meal before a soul nite/niter. Don't get me wrong I'm not a total heathen but if I eat too much I tend to nod off.

Although Macca's night out sounds great..although the Spanish do benefit from a siesta!!

Social source share

:yes::) ..please no!.

They have tea dances at Longfield Suite and I've often watched and pictured northern soul being played instead. In answer to your question:

At least 20 years yet before we you get to that point. :D

Age 70 (most tea dances now are for the over 70's aren't they.)

RnB and sixties. Only one or two uptempo motown tracs

DJ's to be original Wheel attendees of course..

Please note: I'm not mocking the Wheel, I love it and all those who went!. (well, most of them! :no: )

I can see it now...

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert