Brighton All-nighter

Well done paddy and the guys, we had a great night, loads of laughs (thanks Doug and Sue and your disappearing friend!!) great sound system in the main room.

shame the management chucked us out so early. but it gave us a chance to brush the talc off the foot wig.

Thank you Claire for you great company and laughs still smiling this morning!!! :excl:

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Nice to see you there Anton - no room on this beach for that frisbee mate! :lol:

A big thankyou to the "Soul-Survivors" for putting this event on, and for inviting me to spin a few tunes. :excl:

After spending an hour driving around Brighton looking for a parking spot, me and Pam made our way to the ARC bar down on the beachside for the afternoon session. Brighton was mobbed and I've honestly never seen so many people on a british beach. A nice young cosmopolitan crowd in Brighton - some of them were very well dressed, some of them were very, well...undressed! :lol: Just a few soulies passed through in the afternoon, so everything from cheese, through Motown to some classier stuff was played. After 90 minutes on the decks I was so thankfull to see Dave Abbott and Steve Csordas arrive with some nice vinyl. Well it would have been nice if the decks had been w..wou..wou..wound up properly! lol.

On to the main event, the Allnighter at Concorde2. Maybe I'm just a miserable old git but the amount of people dancing with drinks in their grasp just sort of spoiled the dancing side of things for me. I hardly went on the floor and I'm usually never off it. Something should be done to make people aware of the etiquette beforehand to save embarrassment/confrontation - 'cos at the end of the day they're out to enjoy themselves too. :lol:

That aside, the place was full of friends old and new and we had a ball. Nice to see a lot of peeps I haven't met for a while - Linda Seddon, Si Bridger, Paddy Rozier (good to see this man on the decks!) and numerous others.

I'm not really the best person to do a lookback, not with my degree of memory loss, plus I spent a hell of a lot of time outside smoking so can't comment fully on who played what. Something for everyone I reckon with the 2 rooms though there was no set policy for each. Two that stood out for me though were Ginger Taylor obviously, and Steve Csordas. Oh, and Sue Brick's set had me drastically revising my intended plays! lol.

As for my playlist, here goes -

2245-2330 Room 2 (Bar).....as an alternative to what was on in the main room, went for a mainly R&B set:

Lonely Drifter.....Pieces Of Eight....A&M

In Orbit.....Joy Lovejoy.....Chess

You Got It.....Gene Burks.....Calla demo

I Just Can't Stand It.....Malibus.....Duke

The Pain Gets A Little Deeper.....Darrow Fletcher.....Reo (Canadian)

I'll Cry Alone.....Gale Garnett.....RCA Victor

The Joker.....Shawn Elliott....Roullette (French EP)

? ..... Rhythm Kings?.....Crescendo demo *

Just A Thing Called Love.....John Parker.....Brunswick demo

Comin' Down.....Jackie Shane.....Sue

I've Got A Feeling.....Baby Washington.....Sue

Chills And Fever.....Ronnie Love.....Dot

Have Love Will Travel.....Richard Berry.....Flip

Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide.....Jackie Lee.....Mirwood

Running For My Life.....Roscoe Shelton.....Sound Stage 7 demo

Comin Home Baby.....Mel Torme.....Atlantic

I'm A Good Woman.....Barbara Lynn.....Tribe

Cracked Up Over You.....Danny White.....Decca

0400 - 0445ish Main Room:

That's What You Do To Me.....Deon Jackson.....Carla

I'll Try.....Sam & Bill.....Decca

The Chase Is On.....Artistics.....Brunswick

Wait Till I Get To Know Ya.....Bobby Treetop.....Tuff

Too Hot To Hold.....Major Lance.....Okeh

Look At Me Now.....Ethics.....Vent

You Got It.....Dealers.....Big Bunny

You Don't Have To Be A Tower Of Strength.....Gloria Lynne.....Everest

Take Your Love And Run.....Barbara Lynn.....Jet Stream

Don't Let Me Down.....Fred Hughes.....VeeJay

Let's Talk It Over.....Spencer Wiggins.....SoulSeries demo

Lay This Burden Down.....Mary Love.....Stateside

I'm Stuck On My Baby.....Irene & the Scotts.....Smash

You Can't Go.....Lonnie lester.....Nu-Tone

Because Of You.....Jackie Wilson.....Brunswick

Crying Heart.....Incredibles.....Audio Arts

In The Cold Light Of Day.....Tempests.....Smash demo

I'm Gonna Miss You.....Artistics.....Brunswick

"Let's make this night last forever. 'Cos in the cold light of day, baby, I'll be going on my way.".......

......Change of tempo at the end but I went a bit wobbly when I was given 15 minutes notice that the event was winding up! Sadly the numbers had dwindled as the nite wore on - so apologies (again) to all that were still there 'cos they were all on the floor. IMO the nite got better as it progressed and thinned out a bit.

* Played the Crescendo vinyl twice as it generated such interest the first time.........but I've since found it is mis-labelled and is NOT Blue Soul.....Rhythm Kings, as I told all that asked.

When's the next one guys?! :D

A big thank you to the promoters of The Soul Survivors niter. Venue perfect!! Sounds included something for everybody. Unfortunately as is the case at any niter attempt down South numbers did dwindle from 2am onwards - thats where the similiarities between the scene down here and up north ended but hey ho all that attended I talked to seemed to have a ball.

Good to see Ginger on the Southern Riviera along with Nige (aint forgot about those records mate), Carms and crew. Enjoyed Anton's main room spot.

Arcs prior to the niter was very well attended. With Kev, Dave Abbot, Russ and myself spinning tunes to a packed sunkissed and inquisitive crowd.

Finally I'd like to thank Dougy for 4 hours of total entertainment - had me & Dave in fits .....and shock!!!!!!

My tunes at Arcs

Hector Rivera - Do it to me

Billy Sha-Rae - Do it

Bill Withers - Harlem

Jackie Wilson - It only happens..........

Scott Bros Orch. - A hunk o' funk

El Anthony - we've been in love too long

Sister Sledge - Love, don't you go thru those changes

Blinky - Rescue me

JJ Barnes - Show me the way

Bobby Patterson - Don't be so mean

Tee Fletcher - Happy loving you

Marvin L Sims - Now I'm in love with you

Soul City - Cold hearted Blues

Doni Burdick - Watcha gonna do

The Webs - I want you back

Major Wiley - One more heartache

Lou Courtney - You can give your love to me

Carolyn Franklin - Reality

Mae Young - Lets give our love a try

NF Porter - Keep on keeping on

Concorde 2 niter 1245-1330

Little Ann - Lean lanky daddy

Ronnie Dyson - Fever

Harvey Scales - Too good to be true

Danny Waqgner - This thing called love

Lorraine Chandler - I can't hold on

Malibu's - gee baby..............

Viola Wills - I got love

Johhny & Jake - I need your help baby

D'Italians - I gotta go

James Carr - A losing game

Summits - Sophisticated lady

Autographs - I can do it

Marvin L Sims - Get off my back ......(for Dave's turtle "Fatso")

Art Benton - Sweet loving

Pacesetters - I'm gonna make it

Sam Dees - Lonely for you baby (Alt mix)

Billy Preston - The night

Jesse Johnson - Left Out

Contours - Jealousy

Luther Ingram - If its all the same ........

Small room 4-finish

Kent Meade - Funky to me

Bob Smith & the Bou Kous - What do it mean

Jamo Thomas - Arrest me

Roscoe Robinson - What you're doing to me

Wes & the Airedales - I'll never turn my back on you

Soulville Allstars - Nobody to blame...........

Fred Lowery, Big Bo & the Arrows - I'm sorry

Billy Hambric - Talk to me baby

Buddy Lamp - My tears

Tyrone Davis - What if a man

Pat Lundy - The thrill is gone

Big Frank & the Essences - I wont let her see me cry

Billy Prince - Say it again

Ronnie Dyson - She's gone

Me and Carms travelled down to Brighton from the Barnsley Niter, all the way down the weather just got better and better.

By the time we reached the town the weather was really hot and the place was heaving.

After dumping everything at the hotel and finally fing a place to park it was down to the Arc Bar for some Sun , Soul and a serious Chill Out , felt a bit bolloxed by then !!

We saw Simon Bridger who made us very welcome and we sat out side the bar listening to the Soul Sounds banging out over the sound system and settled down to doin some serious people watching, and my god you see some sights in Brighton believe me !!

After a couple of hours several lagers and a jug of Pimms, we left to get ready for the nighter a few hours later, the after noon was a lovely way to chill for the night to come!! Missed Steve and Daves later spot sorry guys !!

Met up with Ginger and Sue and went for a "Todmorden Salad " ( CURRY) !! then made our way to the Niter!!

Wow the place was banging when we arrived in both rooms, and what SUBERB sound systems . Within minutes Steve C and Dave Abbott arived and we all settled to enjoy the night ahead!!

I think Karl Bodders and Marco where blazing the Technics when we arrived!!

Obviously the venue aint rammed with Soulies but i never saw anyone pissing about too much!! Although they havent caught onto the idea of not taking your glass on to the dance floor an arch sin Up't North!!

On great nights like this one its abit naughty to single anyone out DJ wise but i have to say i enjoyed ANTON's SET immensly and Steve C certainy made 'em have it,,, big style!!

I loved the Danny White track ANTON played and Stev C 'c Ronnie Dyson "Fever"

was track of the Night for me!!!

Was a hectic lovely weekend, great food , great music , spot on company and weather to die for!!

Well done to the promoters for a great niter certainly would go back in the future!!

Viva l Concorde!!

Nige B x

Many thanks to Paddy & Clive for arranging not one but two NS dos throughout the day!

Nice to meet Anton for the first time & many thanks also for sorting out some decent stylus's for the bar.

Good to see all the usual suspects also, had a very nice evening.

Till next time!

Simon

Nice to see you there Anton - no room on this beach for that frisbee mate! :yes:

A big thankyou to the "Soul-Survivors" for putting this event on, and for inviting me to spin a few tunes. thumbsup.gif

After spending an hour driving around Brighton looking for a parking spot, me and Pam made our way to the ARC bar down on the beachside for the afternoon session. Brighton was mobbed and I've honestly never seen so many people on a british beach. A nice young cosmopolitan crowd in Brighton - some of them were very well dressed, some of them were very, well...undressed! :D Just a few soulies passed through in the afternoon, so everything from cheese, through Motown to some classier stuff was played. After 90 minutes on the decks I was so thankfull to see Dave Abbott and Steve Csordas arrive with some nice vinyl. Well it would have been nice if the decks had been w..wou..wou..wound up properly! lol.

On to the main event, the Allnighter at Concorde2. Maybe I'm just a miserable old git but the amount of people dancing with drinks in their grasp just sort of spoiled the dancing side of things for me. I hardly went on the floor and I'm usually never off it. Something should be done to make people aware of the etiquette beforehand to save embarrassment/confrontation - 'cos at the end of the day they're out to enjoy themselves too. :)

That aside, the place was full of friends old and new and we had a ball. Nice to see a lot of peeps I haven't met for a while - Linda Seddon, Si Bridger, Paddy Rozier (good to see this man on the decks!) and numerous others.

I'm not really the best person to do a lookback, not with my degree of memory loss, plus I spent a hell of a lot of time outside smoking so can't comment fully on who played what. Something for everyone I reckon with the 2 rooms though there was no set policy for each. Two that stood out for me though were Ginger Taylor obviously, and Steve Csordas. Oh, and Sue Brick's set had me drastically revising my intended plays! lol.

2245-2330 Room 2 (Bar).....as an alternative to what was on in the main room, went for a mainly R&B set:

"Let's make this night last forever. 'Cos in the cold light of day, baby, I'll be going on my way.".......

......Change of tempo at the end but I went a bit wobbly when I was given 15 minutes notice that the event was winding up! Sadly the numbers had dwindled as the nite wore on - so apologies (again) to all that were still there 'cos they were all on the floor. IMO the nite got better as it progressed and thinned out a bit.

* Played the Crescendo vinyl twice as it generated such interest the first time.........but I've since found it is mis-labelled and is NOT Blue Soul.....Rhythm Kings, as I told all that asked.

When's the next one guys?! :D

I couldnt make this nite this year and looking at your play list, I missed some of my fave R n B tunes - gutting :lol:

Guest GingerDave

Hi Kev nice to see your playlist nice to see you played YOU GOT IT By theDealers :lol: Great tune nice one mate

Nice to see you there Anton - no room on this beach for that frisbee mate! :lol:

A big thankyou to the "Soul-Survivors" for putting this event on, and for inviting me to spin a few tunes. :unsure:

After spending an hour driving around Brighton looking for a parking spot, me and Pam made our way to the ARC bar down on the beachside for the afternoon session. Brighton was mobbed and I've honestly never seen so many people on a british beach. A nice young cosmopolitan crowd in Brighton - some of them were very well dressed, some of them were very, well...undressed! :yes: Just a few soulies passed through in the afternoon, so everything from cheese, through Motown to some classier stuff was played. After 90 minutes on the decks I was so thankfull to see Dave Abbott and Steve Csordas arrive with some nice vinyl. Well it would have been nice if the decks had been w..wou..wou..wound up properly! lol.

On to the main event, the Allnighter at Concorde2. Maybe I'm just a miserable old git but the amount of people dancing with drinks in their grasp just sort of spoiled the dancing side of things for me. I hardly went on the floor and I'm usually never off it. Something should be done to make people aware of the etiquette beforehand to save embarrassment/confrontation - 'cos at the end of the day they're out to enjoy themselves too. :D

When's the next one guys?! :lol:

Guest BintofSoul

A great nite Paddy & Clive. Great atmosphere when I arrived at 10.45 and very busy. Loved all the music, especially that played by my lovely friend Paddy Rozier (biased I know! :unsure: ). I danced until 3.30 and then me pro plus started to wear off!

I agree with Kevin et al about the drinkers on the dance floor, they really do need to understand northern soul etiquette. I think it's unique to Brighton though. I've observed it at every single soul event I've been to. Never mind it did not stop me having a great time. I think soulies just found their own space and got on with it.

Nicki xx

Steve - great to see you the other night @ t'Concorde. Really enjoyed your set - great energy as always! In particular loved the Johhny & Jake + James Carr tracks. Which one did you say you got for a fiver whistling.gif

Cheers Steve

Good to see you, as ever.

The cheapie is James Carr - A losing game - Goldwax

Should be easy to find as well as cheap. Take care m8.

Nice to see you there Anton - no room on this beach for that frisbee mate! :P

A big thankyou to the "Soul-Survivors" for putting this event on, and for inviting me to spin a few tunes. :no:

After spending an hour driving around Brighton looking for a parking spot, me and Pam made our way to the ARC bar down on the beachside for the afternoon session. Brighton was mobbed and I've honestly never seen so many people on a british beach. A nice young cosmopolitan crowd in Brighton - some of them were very well dressed, some of them were very, well...undressed! :D Just a few soulies passed through in the afternoon, so everything from cheese, through Motown to some classier stuff was played. After 90 minutes on the decks I was so thankfull to see Dave Abbott and Steve Csordas arrive with some nice vinyl. Well it would have been nice if the decks had been w..wou..wou..wound up properly! lol.

On to the main event, the Allnighter at Concorde2. Maybe I'm just a miserable old git but the amount of people dancing with drinks in their grasp just sort of spoiled the dancing side of things for me. I hardly went on the floor and I'm usually never off it. Something should be done to make people aware of the etiquette beforehand to save embarrassment/confrontation - 'cos at the end of the day they're out to enjoy themselves too. wink.gif

When's the next one guys?! :)

Completely agree with you Kev, what happened to all the people though, I was expecting to see a full house!! arrived early to try to get a car park :( (hard work) the first hour or so it was DJ city where the DJ's outnumbered the punters :ohmy: . Thouroughly enjoyed my hour on the decks though even if I had to wait till 1.30 to start. Great to meet up with old mates (DJ's) as usual and agree with other comment that NO DRINKS shoul be allowed on the dance floors :ohmy: But a big thanks to Paddy, Clive and the Soul Survivors crew who tried so hard to make it happen :yes: Paddy R :wave:

my only negative comment on the whole shenanigans is 'Where the f*ck was everybody?' maybe two niters in a row in Brighton was too much? But where were the people who come from down south? nothing else on! Ginger made the 6 hour treck down - that doesn't happen often - and he played stuff that will not get played on the coast for a long time - if not at all. shame...

that is the only -'ve; cos i loved the whole nite. the venue is great, bar, main halll and the smoking area - even though i don't smoke. Music in both rooms was excellent throughout the nite.

Lovely to see Ginger again - and Nige and Carms - love you all. And thanks to Sue for the hospitality and the laughs and as Steve said...Dougie - shockingly sooooo funny. Nice to meet Kev and wife (soz forget name); and have a ball with every one else.....

Cheers - it was great....

Well, Roz & I represented the South London Massive and had a lovely time, thanks guys & gals. Lovely to catch up with Russ & Jen Vickers. And by the way, who WAS that gorgeous tall dark-haired man in the white shirt & Oxford bags? Could have watched him dance all night. OK, so we DID watch him dance all night, lol.

Theresa x

Well, Roz & I represented the South London Massive and had a lovely time, thanks guys & gals. Lovely to catch up with Russ & Jen Vickers. And by the way, who WAS that gorgeous tall dark-haired man in the white shirt & Oxford bags? Could have watched him dance all night. OK, so we DID watch him dance all night, lol.

Theresa x

Was good to see the new "lean and lithe" Theresa!!

BTW love your avatar - take care

my only negative comment on the whole shenanigans is 'Where the f*ck was everybody?' maybe two niters in a row in Brighton was too much? But where were the people who come from down south? nothing else on! Ginger made the 6 hour treck down - that doesn't happen often - and he played stuff that will not get played on the coast for a long time - if not at all. shame...

that is the only -'ve; cos i loved the whole nite. the venue is great, bar, main halll and the smoking area - even though i don't smoke. Music in both rooms was excellent throughout the nite.

Lovely to see Ginger again - and Nige and Carms - love you all. And thanks to Sue for the hospitality and the laughs and as Steve said...Dougie - shockingly sooooo funny. Nice to meet Kev and wife (soz forget name); and have a ball with every one else.....

Cheers - it was great....

Have to agree - it was a shame Dave - where were all the Soton & Dorset crews. They'd have loved Gingers spot - not often you get to hear the real "Awake 502" played out down South and it was the highlight of the night for me!! :lol:

I noticed her...she was gorgeous & a great dancer too, she also looked under 70 too :) ................who was she, hi Theresa you naughty gal !!!

Russ

Hiya Russ, naughty happily married Mum of three under-fives here. I told Justin he'd better watch out as there was a guy at Brighton almost as tasty as him, but I don't think he believed me. That dark haired girl left towards 4am - young girls have got no stamina these days. Perhaps we should have introduced her to Oxford Bags man so they had some company on their way home, but to be honest he looked to me like he needed a woman with more experience of the world.

And Steve 'how to win friends & influence people' Csordas, much as I love you, just a little hint on the chatting to girls at niters technique. You other fellas might want to take note too. Noticing when ladies have lost weight is great, well done so far. But saying 'you were really fat before' is generally a bit of a no no, as it's often considered justification for a slap round the face. Still, practice makes perfect and all that. With a bit of work you'll be pulling birds, ooh, I'd say by around the year 2023.

Hee hee

And Steve 'how to win friends & influence people' Csordas, much as I love you, just a little hint on the chatting to girls at niters technique. You other fellas might want to take note too. Noticing when ladies have lost weight is great, well done so far. But saying 'you were really fat before' is generally a bit of a no no, as it's often considered justification for a slap round the face. Still, practice makes perfect and all that. With a bit of work you'll be pulling birds, ooh, I'd say by around the year 2023.

Hee hee

:ohmy: Sorting out what I think, what I should say and the way I should say it has never been a forte of mine :lol: I've pulled already btw.........in Disco Dave....he's always been thin :huh:wink.gif