New Youngblood Dj On The Scene

Just a quickie, we always seem to question the lack of young people on the scene but on Friday night @ Leeds Irish Centre myself,

Steve Luigi and Lucy Locket had the pleasure of deejaying with a youngster called Alex Simms (son of John Simms who used to go to the Central in the early 70's).

This kid was great! He's not only a serious DJ with several well-stacked boxes of his own originals and his own sound system but he clearly loves the music and dances with all the passion and energy a 16 year old can muster.

Yep. 16 years old! Credit where credit's due.

He clearly has the same passion about what he does as many of us did when we started out at the same age and it was refreshing to see someone less than 40 yrs old behind the decks who could play with a level of professionalism which would put many to shame.

Check him out if you get the chance. This is exactly what the scene needs IMO. :huh:

Nice one Alex. Pleasure to work with ya!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 82
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just a quickie, we always seem to question the lack of young people on the scene but on Friday night @ Leeds Irish Centre myself,

Steve Luigi and Lucy Locket had the pleasure of deejaying with a youngster called Alex Simms (son of John Simms who used to go to the Central in the early 70's).

This kid was great! He's not only a serious DJ with several well-stacked boxes of his own originals and his own sound system but he clearly loves the music and dances with all the passion and energy a 16 year old can muster.

He clearly has the same passion about what he does as many of us did when we started out at the same age and it was refreshing to see someone less than 40 yrs old behind the decks who could play with a level of professionalism which would put many to shame.

Check him out if you get the chance. This is exactly what the scene needs IMO. :huh:

This one goes out to my granddad, and his mum too.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

The more new blood the better.

I love seeing teenagers get this music the way I did when I first heard it. Nothing like the enthusiasm of one's youth. The music still brings it out in me but then compared to a lot of soulies Im young myself at 34.

Social source share

Check him out if you get the chance. This is exactly what the scene needs IMO. :lol:

Ian D :thumbsup:

Alex is a very good and knowledgable DJ , and I have often thought after hearing his spots , of if he had been around in the late 70s and early 80s , he would have been one of the accepted / name DJs on / of the scene ........

Keep up the stirling work Alex :huh: ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Soul On A Stick

I have listened to Alex DJ on quite a few occasions now, he has true enthusiasm and dedication for our music, he's a cracking little DJ and would be an added bonus to any nights line up.

His friend little miss soul is another young DJ who can cut the mustard!

We should encourage these young DJ's as much as possible; the scene sure needs new blood.

Alex is there any chance of pencilling you in for a spot at our next year's charity event?

Regards Paul :huh:

Edited by Soul On A Stick
Social source share

I've seen this guy at a couple of venues, And as you say he's not bad at all. His dad John is a dead ringer these days for Bill Oddie! Ian you mentioned Lucy Lockett, Is this the girl whom I sold a Jackie Moore 12" to? From memory she was on the On Hubert Street forum? And think that's where the name rings a bell from.

Andy.

Social source share

I've seen this guy at a couple of venues, And as you say he's not bad at all. His dad John is a dead ringer these days for Bill Oddie! Ian you mentioned Lucy Lockett, Is this the girl whom I sold a Jackie Moore 12" to? From memory she was on the On Hubert Street forum? And think that's where the name rings a bell from.

Andy.

I only met her briefly on Friday Andy. Lovely lass who I wish I'd chatted with more as you don't get too many female DJ's on the scene. I think she was born a couple of years after I left Leeds! :huh: And she probably did buy the Jackie Moore 12" - another real enthusiast.

On Friday I was in my usual 'laissez-faire' pre-deejaying mood happily chugging away pints with Liam the promoter when I suddenly realised that the guy deejaying was pretty good. When Liam told me he was only 16 I was amazed. But then I remembered I was that age when I started so I checked him out and watched him for the next 30 minutes. Definitely the real deal and very refreshing to see some youthful energy behind the decks......

Made me feel so nostalgic that I actually went down to the Hi-Fi club (formally Leeds Central) on the Saturday night to see what was happening down there these days. Boy has the place changed! It looks much bigger now and they've really kept the character of the place. Felt like home. Music was interesting and very eclectic - some early James Brown uptempo stuff, "Long Train Running" - The Doobie Brothers, "Alright, Alright, Alright" - Mungo Jerry (which sounded great), some Curtis and a great Reggae version of "Upside Down". Yound crowd - all in their early 20's.

The only thing missing was a guy with long hair right down his back who when he spun, sprayed a nice belt of sweat into everyone's faces LOL! Ring any bells Andy? :lol:

I had a good weekend trawling around places I haven't been for 25 odd years. Still lively in Leeds for sure! Young Alex should go for a residency @ the Hi-Fi Club 'cos he'll get a young crowd in there and probably spawn the next generation of Northern Soul fans in Leeds!

Y'now it was kinda nice to see plenty of young energy at these places. All they need is the opportunity to hear the right stuff with people their own ages and a few OAP's and that would be a good balance instead of the other way around! :thumbsup:

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Alex is a very good and knowledgable DJ , and I have often thought after hearing his spots , of if he had been around in the late 70s and early 80s , he would have been one of the accepted / name DJs on / of the scene ........

Keep up the stirling work Alex :huh: ..........

Malc Burton

Where where you Malc? I will bump into one of these days won't I?

Even Schofield came along and then we checked out the Central (Hi-Fi Club) on Saturday. Leeds is rockin' even though I had a car crash and no sleep! Bit like the old days in fact........

Social source share

I have listened to Alex DJ on quite a few occasions now, he has true enthusiasm and dedication for our music, he's a cracking little DJ and would be an added bonus to any nights line up.

His friend little miss soul is another young DJ who can cut the mustard!

We should encourage these young DJ's as much as possible; the scene sure needs new blood.

Alex is there any chance of pencilling you in for a spot at our next year's charity event?

Regards Paul :lol:

I didn't know Alex was on here. If he is, then so much the better. :huh:

Local promoters should take note, I'd book him in a flash!

Social source share

Blimey how can he afford to buy Northern soul :lol: Did he plays some of Levines stuff

He's been collecting since he was 8 Simon! :huh:

He probably raided his old man's collection over the years although he insists all his records are his own.

By the way, I crashed my car in Leeds on Friday night trying to find the bloody hotel! Sound familiar?

Social source share

He's been collecting since he was 8 Simon! :lol:

He probably raided his old man's collection over the years although he insists all his records are his own.

By the way, I crashed my car in Leeds on Friday night trying to find the bloody hotel! Sound familiar?

Ian D :D

You could have stayed at Kegsy's!! wink.gif

Half the price and a whole lotta love!

Andy.

Social source share

Where where you Malc? I will bump into one of these days won't I?

Even Schofield came along and then we checked out the Central (Hi-Fi Club) on Saturday. Leeds is rockin' even though I had a car crash and no sleep! Bit like the old days in fact........

Ian D biggrin.gif

If I had known that "Botties over Britain" were out I would have popped over! :lol:

Andy.

Social source share

He's been collecting since he was 8 Simon! laugh.gif

Oh God , what a nightmare it is Ian . Still I once got stuck in a snow storm after crashing coming back from the Fleet nighter . We thought we were gonna die :lol:

Anyway I think quite a few kids are gonna raid collections . Hey but there is a couple of youngsters in the USA making great finds !! they DJ too :D

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Oh God , what a nightmare it is Ian . Still I once got stuck in a snow storm after crashing coming back from the Fleet nighter . We thought we were gonna die :lol:

Anyway I think quite a kids are gonna raid collections . Hey but there is a couple of youngsters in the USA making great finds !! they DJ too :D

I've now wrecked three cars for the cause of Northern Soul. Two spectacular crashes coming back from Cleethorpes and one where I was coming back from Louth on a Thursday early morning and got stuck in a field @ 3.00 in the morning! I've still got the mud stains to this day........... ph34r.gif

Are any of you oldies passing your records along to the youngsters yet? I think they should get a youth discount LOL.....

Social source share

I've now wrecked three cars for the cause of Northern Soul. Two spectacular crashes coming back from Cleethorpes and one where I was coming back from Louth on a Thursday early morning and got stuck in a field @ 3.00 in the morning! I've still got the mud stains to this day........... ph34r.gif

Are any of you oldies passing your records along to the youngsters yet? I think they should get a youth discount LOL.....

James Trouble has had about three crashes in a year :lol:

Social source share

Don't tell me Kegsy runs a hotel? The mind boggles...... g.gif

Ended up in the Etap in Leeds quaffing champagne with a hen party 'til 7.00am, so had a pretty good time anyway!

Did I mention "Botties over Britain"???

Hen Party, I'll have to send my number! I'm much better looking than Paul S!

Fortunately Kegsy doesn't run a Hotel, But the number of people who end up there in states of dissaray, It sure does feel like one! :lol:

Andy.

Edited by Andy Simpson
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I've now wrecked three cars for the cause of Northern Soul. Two spectacular crashes coming back from Cleethorpes and one where I was coming back from Louth on a Thursday early morning and got stuck in a field @ 3.00 in the morning! I've still got the mud stains to this day........... :lol:

Ian D biggrin.gif

I relieved my dad of a few records! :D

On the subject of youngblood DJs, Brett Franklin (who's 17) DJed at Rugby a while back & had some people stunned at the quality of his records-all orginal, all his own! :D

Social source share

Blimey how can he afford to buy Northern soul smile.gif Did he plays some of Levines stuff

On a similar note, it would be interesting to see what he played. Does youngblood in this instance mean rebelling against the norm and playing what he wants, or playing what's the norm? A playlist of Alex's would be a goodthing, only a thought not a critisicm. :lol:

Social source share

On a similar note, it would be interesting to see what he played. Does youngblood in this instance mean rebelling against the norm and playing what he wants, or playing what's the norm? A playlist of Alex's would be a goodthing, only a thought not a critisicm. :lol:

I have a CD of his Radio Show, It's a mixture of Oldies and 7ts, With the Occasional more recent stuff, i.e Brown Sugar, etc.

Andy.

Social source share

Good point. If Alex reads this maybe he can oblige. I didn't have time to quiz him on his taste as I was busy trying to follow him..... laugh.gif

This was an oldies gig but young Alex had enough boxes to suggest he could pretty much cover everything....

Social source share

Guest Soul On A Stick

Blimey how can he afford to buy Northern soul :lol: Did he plays some of Levines stuff

Hi Simon

I personally have never heard him play any of Ian's music, but imho I don't think it really matters either way if he should decide to play them at some time.

Alex also knows how to use a microphone and has a good technique, he sounds good too!

Regards

Paul

Social source share

I relieved my dad of a few records! biggrin.gif

On the subject of youngblood DJs, Brett Franklin (who's 17) DJed at Rugby a while back & had some people stunned at the quality of his records-all orginal, all his own! :D

Bretts got to be well into his 40's :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Hi Simon

I personally have never heard him play any of Ian's music, but imho I don't think it really matters either way if he should decide to play them at some time.

Alex also knows how to use a microphone and has a good technique, he sounds good too!

Regards

Paul

yep i agree , I did hear a good levine record on a radio show it was on Nightmare anyone know what it is ? He said Keb played it too :lol:

ps. Good to know he uses the mic

Social source share

I'd be interested to see what he's playing too but I wouldn't encourage him to put his playlists up yet, going off what happened to Sean Livesey when he was younger, no matter what he plays, He'll probaby get critisicm from one camp or another rather than encouragement.

We took Sean on as a resident at Bury when he was 14 years old - playing his own OVO - not his dad's. I noticed when he was DJ'ing out and about, If he played 'current biggies or floor fillers' he got slated by those who thought he was playing 'same old same old' and told him that he was shite and should be doing something new and when he mixed it up a bit and had less of a dancefloor reaction, he'd still get slated for it by those who want something they know. What used to really piss me off was if Sean would play something and get a mild reaction, but should older DJ's play the same record, then the reaction was different and they were a dj god!. (ok, maybe not but you get my point).. :D

Another thing to look out for is jealousy. There are some guys out there who feel the younger dj's shouldn't be dj'ing and dont deserve their spots because they haven't put the 30+years in.

I really hope Alex doesn't get this shit.

I wish the lad all the luck in the world and if I run anything else after Bury Town Hall finishes then yes, I'd invite him over to DJ for us.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit negative.

Jayne.x. smile.gif

Social source share

I agree would be interesting to see what his sets do and could consist of. I'm all for new young blood but not just for the sake of it, they have to have something to offer the scene other than just being a young 'un. Sometimes it can come across as an advertising gimmick, though I'm sure that's not the case here. Sometimes, in all areas of life, we are too quick to get rid of the "old uns" when just being young isn't a good enough substitute.

Anyway some playlist would be nice and best of luck to him.

Social source share

I'd be interested to see what he's playing too but I wouldn't encourage him to put his playlists up yet, going off what happened to Sean Livesey when he was younger, no matter what he plays, He'll probaby get critisicm from one camp or another rather than encouragement.

We took Sean on as a resident at Bury when he was 14 years old - playing his own OVO - not his dad's. I noticed when he was DJ'ing out and about, If he played 'current biggies or floor fillers' he got slated by those who thought he was playing 'same old same old' and told him that he was shite and should be doing something new and when he mixed it up a bit and had less of a dancefloor reaction, he'd still get slated for it by those who want something they know. What used to really piss me off was if Sean would play something and get a mild reaction, but should older DJ's play the same record, then the reaction was different and they were a dj god!. (ok, maybe not but you get my point).. biggrin.gif

Another thing to look out for is jealousy. There are some guys out there who feel the younger dj's shouldn't be dj'ing and dont deserve their spots because they haven't put the 30+years in.

I really hope Alex doesn't get this shit.

I wish the lad all the luck in the world and if I run anything else after Bury Town Hall finishes then yes, I'd invite him over to DJ for us.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit negative.

Jayne.x. :lol:

Hi Jayne, how is the lad?

I didn,t know Sean got slated when he first got started.

I was shocked when you give us the invite for his 18th three years ago, i knew he was young but not that young. To me and Lou Sean is just Sean. x

Social source share

Hey y'all

I also wish Alex the best of luck in his dj'ing career and he will always have a slot to play at any future events that i will be promoting.

He came highly recommended on his ability as a dj and his passion for music and dancing (which i must add is very sharp! ) and I dont believe that age came into any of the many recommendations

Top skills Alex and it was a pleasure having you on board :lol:

Liam Frisco

Social source share

Leeds irish centre aye, only live around the corner from there, have to make it down.

I feel its hard starting out as a young DJ because there's rarely often chances to play, best of luck to him, i'd love to see a young playing some good original records.

I get a little annoyed with these DJ's that seem to emerge from nowhere with some very nice expensive records, getting your dad's collection i don't feel makes you a good DJ. Having started out from nothing myself it's a time consuming process building up a collection of good, original records as well as the money to afford them.

Im wanting to get a warm up spot and play records that i feel are good strong records that people aren't playing, i feel that there are very few events that really strike out and play things that people aren't expecting.

If anyone wants a young, fresh, exciting Dj let me know! Ha!

Matt Bolton let me play a few records at Hifi club before and i'd really like to play there again, its a great venue where there's no pretention just brilliant records and lots of young people enjoying the music for the right reasons!

Good luck to another young DJ .

Social source share

Guest Soul On A Stick

Please let's not go down the play list route the kid most probably has better things to do, it's the atmosphere on the night that really matters.

Some DJ's don't know what they are going to play until they are behind the decks, and then work the floor accordingly in their own unique way.

Alex is a nice lad my suggestion would be to go and listen to him.

Regards

Paul

Social source share

Please let's not go down the play list route the kid most probably has better things to do, it's the atmosphere on the night that really matters.

Some DJ's don't know what they are going to play until they are behind the decks, and then work the floor accordingly in their own unique way.

Alex is a nice lad my suggestion would be to go and listen to him.

Regards

Paul

Hmmm this post doesn't make any sense !!!, most blokes are "nice lads" Paul biggrin.gif

Better things to do would mean that DJing at a NS night is something he keeps on a back burner ! i have seen Alex DJ 3 times he does come across good on the mic and it,s great to see a young un up there doing his stuff and long may it continue but he needs to get his own identity and quick, he can hold his own at an oldies night (which these days isn't that hard) but i would love to see him do a 70,s/xover/modern spot up there with the rest of them :thumbup: , give him time i suppose :boxing:

Unless we are going to keep him wrapped in cotton wool get his playlist up !!!

Ian.

Social source share

Andy.

I don't think she was an OHS regular Andy, but definitely on Z Records and SPMB.

By the way how are ya? Nice to see you on here :thumbup:

Peace, Mike H

Social source share

We took Sean on as a resident at Bury when he was 14 years old - playing his own OVO - not his dad's. I noticed when he was DJ'ing out and about, If he played 'current biggies or floor fillers' he got slated by those who thought he was playing 'same old same old' and told him that he was shite and should be doing something new and when he mixed it up a bit and had less of a dancefloor reaction, he'd still get slated for it by those who want something they know. What used to really piss me off was if Sean would play something and get a mild reaction, but should older DJ's play the same record, then the reaction was different and they were a dj god!. (ok, maybe not but you get my point).. biggrin.gif

Jayne.x. :thumbup:

This is a great point Jayne - sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't! Not exclusivel to young DJ's either! Same goes for the 'mild reaction' thing I'm afraid! This happens to ALL DJ's regardless of age imho. A more well known DJ will usually get a better reaction to a tune played by a lesser known DJ................bet zillions on here can give examples too!!! Like it or not, this is the way the scene works imho!

I've heard Alex and he sounded good to me with lots of passion (which is what you need, that's for sure!), Sean is great as we know (well, he's a veteran now isn't he :boxing: ) and we also have a young lad up here called Danny Clegg who is as passionate as you can be about Northern (& 70's). He plays originals wherever possible with a great rig of his own too! Interesting (although not surprising) that most young DJ's do so cos of influence from their owd fella!

Take care and more power to the young uns!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Soul On A Stick

Hmmm this post doesn't make any sense !!!, most blokes are "nice lads" Paul biggrin.gif

Better things to do would mean that DJing at a NS night is something he keeps on a back burner ! i have seen Alex DJ 3 times he does come across good on the mic and it,s great to see a young un up there doing his stuff and long may it continue but he needs to get his own identity and quick, he can hold his own at an oldies night (which these days isn't that hard) but i would love to see him do a 70,s/xover/modern spot up there with the rest of them :thumbup: , give him time i suppose :boxing:

Ian.

Hi Ian

Maybe I could have put it better...

Alex's enthusiasm, dedication, and DJ style is not in question here and certainly not on a back burner!

What I mean is that he most probably has better things to do than try to list what he has played at a certain venue, be it last week or some weeks ago.

When I was his age I had a job to remember what I did the day before LOL :lol:

Regards

Paul

Social source share

I saw Alex at Soul in the Sun last year and he was excellent. Don't you just hat talented kids!! :unsure:

Our youngest son, Joel DJ`d d and had his own records (although I paid for most of them!) He DJ`d around and won deserved praise, (yep, I'm biased) but Yocky & Sam Evans & Andy Baskett all encouraged him, as did others. He was a great dancer (still is) and won the dance comp at Skeggy 05. (15). At 17 he found a girl, modern clothes and night clubs. Still dances to the tunes in the dining room but sadly (apart from occasionally) doesn't do soul nights. Time marches on.

Chris

Edited by bridget
Social source share

This is a great point Jayne - sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't! Not exclusivel to young DJ's either! Same goes for the 'mild reaction' thing I'm afraid! This happens to ALL DJ's regardless of age imho. A more well known DJ will usually get a better reaction to a tune played by a lesser known DJ................bet zillions on here can give examples too!!! Like it or not, this is the way the scene works imho!

I've heard Alex and he sounded good to me with lots of passion (which is what you need, that's for sure!), Sean is great as we know (well, he's a veteran now isn't he :thumbup: ) and we also have a young lad up here called Danny Clegg who is as passionate as you can be about Northern (& 70's). He plays originals wherever possible with a great rig of his own too! Interesting (although not surprising) that most young DJ's do so cos of influence from their owd fella!

Take care and more power to the young uns!

Cheers

Steve

Good points Steve. Yeh, I've heard it said many times about certain DJ's getting a bigger reaction on a tune.. :D

Danny's another one. I can't remember where we saw him DJ first but he's got 'the knack' and great taste

in music too. He came over to Bury and DJ'd for us last year.

Quite a few good young DJ's about if you think about it..

Jayne.x. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Good points Steve. Yeh, I've heard it said many times about certain DJ's getting a bigger reaction on a tune.. :D

Danny's another one. I can't remember where we saw him DJ first but he's got 'the knack' and great taste

in music too. He came over to Bury and DJ'd for us last year.

Quite a few good young DJ's about if you think about it..

Jayne.x. :thumbsup:

H Jayne, how is Sean?

Social source share

Hmmm this post doesn't make any sense !!!, most blokes are "nice lads" Paul :thumbup:

Better things to do would mean that DJing at a NS night is something he keeps on a back burner ! i have seen Alex DJ 3 times he does come across good on the mic and it,s great to see a young un up there doing his stuff and long may it continue but he needs to get his own identity and quick, he can hold his own at an oldies night (which these days isn't that hard) but i would love to see him do a 70,s/xover/modern spot up there with the rest of them :D , give him time i suppose :thumbsup:

Ian.

Something else young DJ's have to put up with is that many many people feel the need to give them advice or express their opinion of the young 'uns in a patronising and condescending way, I know sometimes the advice and support can be invaluable but in other ways its just negative. Many folks have an opinion on what they're doing and choose to put it across in a way that they wouldn't dream of doing to older DJ's.

Another thing to bear in mind is that grown men (theoretically.. :thumbup: ) take and accept criticism in a very different way than a teenager would.

What a grown man would just brush off can really affect young teenagers. I dont expect many of you will have sympathy with that idea or agree with me, but I really believe it. It's a bit like telling a teenage girl she's fat I guess - its often the trigger for anorexia or extreme reaction,etc, tell me the same thing and I wouldn't give a damn. .. I wish some people would bear this in mind when they start telling young DJ's what they should and shouldn't be doing..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Something else young DJ's have to put up with is that many many people feel the need to give them advice or express their opinion of the young 'uns in a patronising and condescending way, I know sometimes the advice and support can be invaluable but in other ways its just negative. Many folks have an opinion on what they're doing and choose to put it across in a way that they wouldn't dream of doing to older DJ's.

Another thing to bear in mind is that grown men (theoretically.. :thumbsup: ) take and accept criticism in a very different way than a teenager would.

What a grown man would just brush off can really affect young teenagers. I dont expect many of you will have sympathy with that idea or agree with me, but I really believe it. It's a bit like telling a teenage girl she's fat I guess - its often the trigger for anorexia or extreme reaction,etc, tell me the same thing and I wouldn't give a damn. .. I wish some people would bear this in mind when they start telling young DJ's what they should and shouldn't be doing..

Jayne.x.

Great post Jayne. I was going to add something along very similar lines, in that most DJ's start off in their own way and pretty much develop organically anyway. I'm sure Alex is no exception.

What I was really trying to get across in this thread was more a sense of jubilation that there are actually 16 years olds who want to play Northern Soul! Given the fact that I have a 14 year old myself (she's an R'n'B freak) and that I don't get to see too many young Northern DJ's, it was a cause for celebration just seeing Alex play. And a refreshing change.

I just think he should be encouraged. This scene's not the easiest scene to DJ to. I think we all know that. So I'm all for encouraging anyone who has the gumption to get in front of a staunch Northern crowd with his own rig and play a great set at such a tender age. It'll be a bonus if he starts breaking his own sounds! We all started somewhere and he's looking in good shape @ 16.

Also I should point out that I have no connection with Alex or his Dad or anyone else for that matter. None of 'em knew I was gonna throw a thread down......

But I should also point out that I asked on several previous threads where the next Northern Soul audience will come from and my guess was that there would be a new younger breed of DJ's who would take Northern Soul to tomorrows young audiences. I guess it helps if you also know your stuff and are technically competent like Alex seems to be.

It's a hapless job but someone's gotta do it..... :D

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert