• Replies 73
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Welcome back you fellow scoundrel :D

Been back on a few days Steve, not really got much to say or contribute to be honest, started collecting comedy records to inject some extra humour into my life but this Drake single is proving a little tuff to locate on a demo...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Been back on a few days Steve, not really got much to say or contribute to be honest, started collecting comedy records to inject some extra humour into my life but this Drake single is proving a little tuff to locate on a demo...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I am having a real problem with getting a copy of Bernard Cribbins " Right Said Fred"

:D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You need the US and UK demos of this, really - it was on UA in the USA - as they are two slightly different versions. The Yanks censored what they percieved to be the racist element in the lyrics and had Charlie recut it. No sense of humour, even then...

"Boomerang" is OK, but his follow up "I Bent My Assagai" is Charlie's best "A" side. His best record overall is "I'm A Boy", which is a sort of spoof of British beat groups, it's on the other side of the theme from his TV show "The Worker".

My late aunt Phyllis discovered and managed Charlie Drake throughout his career, something I'm very proud of - although I'm even more proud of the fact that she also discovered Tony Hancock and Peter Sellers and managed them both 'early doors'...

Social source share

You need the US and UK demos of this, really - it was on UA in the USA - as they are two slightly different versions. The Yanks censored what they percieved to be the racist element in the lyrics and had Charlie recut it. No sense of humour, even then...

"Boomerang" is OK, but his follow up "I Bent My Assagai" is Charlie's best "A" side. His best record overall is "I'm A Boy", which is a sort of spoof of British beat groups, it's on the other side of the theme from his TV show "The Worker".

My late aunt Phyllis discovered and managed Charlie Drake throughout his career, something I'm very proud of - although I'm even more proud of the fact that she also discovered Tony Hancock and Peter Sellers and managed them both 'early doors'...

do think you could tap her family for any unreleased stuff :lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

You guys may be interested to know that the Barron Knights are touring again.

All together now

there's a dentist in Birmingham, he filled my mouth

And as I slept, he filled my mouth with Ion :lol:

Social source share

You guys may be interested to know that the Barron Knights are touring again.

All together now

there's a dentist in Birmingham, he filled my mouth

And as I slept, he filled my mouth with Ion :thumbup:

Didn't theydo a half decent version of 'Coming home baby'?

Simon :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What does Peter Seller's "Goodness Gracious Me" go for these days? Surely based on US original "Dr Truelove"...... :unsure:

Dunno, but I just picked up the Woolworth's cover version of GGM, on Embassy, by "Linda Joyce And Matt Bryan".

"Linda" is Maureen Evans of "Like I Do" fame. And Mr. Bryan? None other than "yer old mate", Brian 'Sounds Of the Sixties" Matthew!

Well, goodness gracious him...

Social source share

Soul Sam played my Demo Copy of Benny Hills ERNIE @ Prestatyn last year its on Utube!! :unsure:

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wb35dTLt5CI&...7E6&index=2

Torchboy x

Ooops, I forgot I stuck that up on my You-tube 'boomerangsoul' account :lol:

I'd never heard of Charlie Drake until Karen mentioned him to me when we had a debate on who did this song. I had been threatening to play it at our 'Boomerang' night in Thorne, just to see if anyone would notice :lol:

I can't remember if it came up because someone told me that it was customary for the resident dj to finish soul nights here in the UK and that we should also get a regular ender (- not that I had any intention of listening to that advice - as I'd rather a guest dj leaves them gasping for more).

...anyway:

We Aussies grew up with the ROLF HARRIS VERSION of "My Boomerang won't come back".

And after now finding Charlie Drake's version [ HERE ] for a listen, I recall Rolf sounded a hell of a lot better.

- off course, I was a hell of a lot younger when I last heard it :P .

Do yourself a favour Mark and give Rolf a listen. I don't remember Rolf's version sounding offensive (to my ears) if I was an aborigine - like I have just found the Drake version to be, imho. We're very PC on the Oz south/east coast where I'm from, so maybe that's why I don't find it funny

m

Edited by Maria O
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Ooops, I forgot I stuck that up on my You-tube 'boomerangsoul' account :lol:

I'd never heard of Charlie Drake until Karen mentioned him to me when we had a debate on who did this song. I had been threatening to play it at our 'Boomerang' night in Thorne, just to see if anyone would notice :unsure:

I can't remember if it came up because someone told me that it was customary for the resident dj to finish soul nights here in the UK and that we should also get a regular ender (- not that I had any intention of listening to that advice - as I'd rather a guest dj leaves them gasping for more).

...anyway:

We Aussies grew up with the ROLF HARRIS VERSION of "My Boomerang won't come back".

And after now finding Charlie Drake's version [ HERE ] for a listen, I recall Rolf sounded a hell of a lot better.

- off course, I was a hell of a lot younger when I last heard it.

Do yourself a favour Mark and give Rolf a listen. I think Mr Harris was the one who wrote the track too, plus I don't remember his version sounding offensive (to my ears) if I was an aborigine - like I have just found the Drake version to be, imho.

m

Hello Maria,

Rolf certainly wrote a lot of fine songs in his day - "I've Lost My Mummy", "Uncomfortable Yogi", "Sun Arise", "Someone's Pinched My Winkles", "Big Dog" etc., classics one and all. But not "Boomerang" - it was Charlie Drake's own composition, along with his regular collaborator, Max Diamond. He/they wrote almost all of his original comedy songs, including the aforementioned "Assegai" and "I've Lost The End Of My Yodel", another killer from the Drakester...

There's nothing racist about Charlie's version, apart perhaps from some very 'of their time' er 'impersonations' of aborigines. I could see how they might offend the PC brigade now, but we're talking about a record made 47 years ago...

I wonder if you have ever heard Rolf's "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport Cha Cha Cha"? Actually I wonder if it even exists - I thought I saw a copy once c. 1973, on Australian Columbia, in the window of a (sadly) closed junkshop on the Archway Road, but when I went back to claim it, both record and junkshop were gone. Perhaps I just dreamed the whole thing?

Anyway if you or anyone else has a copy of this 'holy grail comedy record' could you or they post it up please? If only to satisfy my mind that I didn't make the events of the previous paragraph up!

TONE

Social source share

What about the first record I ever bought with my 10p pocket money in 1974: 'Please Mr Custer'...well I was only nine! And is it true that Peter Gabriel out of Genesis was Charlie Drake's record producer?

Amazingly, the first thing Peter Gabriel did after leaving Genesis, in late 1975, was to produce an obscure single "You Never Know" for Charlie (UK Charisma), which sank like a stone.

Social source share

Been back on a few days Steve, not really got much to say or contribute to be honest, started collecting comedy records to inject some extra humour into my life

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

=======================================================================

Hi Mark if you want to inject some extra humour into your life...Try goin to some of the Soul nites ive been

to over the past year they,re as funny has f--k :lol:

Kind Regards Ian

ps i,m sure i saw Cheek n Chong at the last Lowton sellin records unsure.gif

Social source share

I wonder if you have ever heard Rolf's "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport Cha Cha Cha"? Actually I wonder if it even exists - I thought I saw a copy once c. 1973, on Australian Columbia, in the window of a (sadly) closed junkshop on the Archway Road, but when I went back to claim it, both record and junkshop were gone. Perhaps I just dreamed the whole thing?

Anyway if you or anyone else has a copy of this 'holy grail comedy record' could you or they post it up please? If only to satisfy my mind that I didn't make the events of the previous paragraph up!

TONE

Hi Tone,

I edited my post when I realised that I was confused with another track regarding who wrote the track. Not sure if Rolf ever released the Boomerang track on 45, but he def did a version. I was forced to check this previoulsy and I'm not the only one who remembers him singing it.

(Also, If you google it, various debates on this very issue exist!)

Off course I remember 'Tie me kangaroo down sport' (without the 'cha cha') and it's also on you-tube -> click [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raYS3RGVdCE&feature=related"][ HERE ]. Rolf did a later version to the 1960 original version, changing some words because that was racist.

m

ps. I've taken the afternoon off as leave in order to get an assignment in by midnight e-lodgement. I can't believe I'm looking up Rolf Harris instead! frusty2.gif

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

What about Ray Stevens? Certainly 'Bridget the Midget' is about a - rather small - soul singer, and 'Ahab the Arab' with his camel named after Clyde McPhatter. 'Gitarzan' is quite amusing too - "Let's hear it for the monkey!"

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What about Ray Stevens? Certainly 'Bridget the Midget' is about a - rather small - soul singer, and 'Ahab the Arab' with his camel named after Clyde McPhatter. 'Gitarzan' is quite amusing too - "Let's hear it for the monkey!"

His impersonation of Gladys Knight and the Pips ("as "Mildred Queen And The Dips") on his record "Moonlight Special", with "The Dips" repeating everything "Mildred" sings, is quite brilliant.

Mustn't forget, too that Ray either arranged or produced quite a few 60s soul classics when he was working for Mercury/Smash/Philips Records in the mid 60s.

A brilliant talent that's sadly remembered - as are so many - more for one daft novelty record (in his case, "The Streak") than for the many really significant contributions that he's made to popular music. Including Ahab, Sergeant Preston (of the Yukon) and Gitarzan, of course. Maybe even Bridget, too...

Social source share

I am having a real problem with getting a copy of Bernard Cribbins " Right Said Fred"

:lol:

Funny you should mention him a few weeks ago we were in south shields and we are positive he was sitting outside this pub having a pint & then when we were in the supermarket, he was there so shouted Bernard(and promptly got a slap off the Mrs.) and he looked over. so unless he is his double with the same name it must of been THEEEE BERNARD CRIBBINS.

chris ph34r.gif

Social source share

Gavin, took me ages to locate a copy but keep at it mate they are out there trust me.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Oh my goodness, I don't believe it :lol: I honestly thought I was a collector living all alone in my own little closet ! And yet here am I, amongst like minded people. Especially you Mark...Charlie Drake, well well, who would have guessed it. I truly feel like I can at last come out of the closet, as I'm also a perver..erm collector.

Have you thought about starting a thread in lets "Look at your box"? It could be a biggie you know rolleyes.gif

Would you like to look at mine? Here you go.

God bless,

pottsy.

ps

do you by any chance wear shorts? white ones? errrm....rather tight ones? No, no no no. sorry, just take a gander below at my 7" Tubby Tuba......

post-2021-1220458754_thumb.jpg

post-2021-1220458847_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Oh my goodness, I don't believe it :lol: I honestly thought I was a collector living all alone in my own little closet ! And yet here am I, amongst like minded people. Especially you Mark...Charlie Drake, well well, who would have guessed it. I truly feel like I can at last come out of the closet, as I'm also a perver..erm collector.

Have you thought about starting a thread in lets "Look at your box"? It could be a biggie you know rolleyes.gif

Would you like to look at mine? Here you go.

God bless,

pottsy.

ps

do you by any chance wear shorts? white ones? errrm....rather tight ones? No, no no no. sorry, just take a gander below at my 7" Tubby Tuba......

I LIKE THE WAY YOU HAVE PUT THE CAIROS( IN THE RIGHT HAND PICTURE) UNDER YOU`R OTHER RECORDS. SHOW OFF :lol:

chris :lol:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

What about the first record I ever bought with my 10p pocket money in 1974: 'Please Mr Custer'...well I was only nine! And is it true that Peter Gabriel out of Genesis was Charlie Drake's record producer?

Here ya go

laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

If you want comedy records then get the Bill Cosby Albums, (THATS Bill not BOB COSBY :ohmy: ) had them since the 70/80s and they still make me laugh.

I have also in my collection(somewhere) some US 45s about Shaft versus the President or something like that cant remember the label so it would take me a while to find em, they were early funk meets rap but funny.

On a serious note I had the record Mark B. was looking for but did not rate it , i tried to sell it but to no avail, so in desperation I tried to throw it away .........but it kept coming back :ohmy:

The Man In Black

Social source share

if anybody can sort me woth a copy of Roy Castle's 'Doctor Terror's House Of Horrors' on UK CBS 45, they will be handsomely rewarded...

Ta...MRez

Some chance...there's only ever been about 3 copies ever found I think. Tubby Hayes involvement.

Though I'd be happy to do you a copy of the film :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Hello Maria,

Rolf certainly wrote a lot of fine songs in his day - "I've Lost My Mummy", "Uncomfortable Yogi", "Sun Arise", "Someone's Pinched My Winkles", "Big Dog" etc., classics one and all. But not "Boomerang" - it was Charlie Drake's own composition, along with his regular collaborator, Max Diamond. He/they wrote almost all of his original comedy songs, including the aforementioned "Assegai" and "I've Lost The End Of My Yodel", another killer from the Drakester...

There's nothing racist about Charlie's version, apart perhaps from some very 'of their time' er 'impersonations' of aborigines. I could see how they might offend the PC brigade now, but we're talking about a record made 47 years ago...

TONE

Sorry Had to be done :ohmy:

Social source share

Gav

Like the idea of the movie projection and material for the next Soul Essence. Tinas a big Bowie fan so at least you will please one,

Not sure about you previewing the stuff on SS though it will spoil the surprise. Does Sue know your taking up banner room space on the walls. When you tell her make sure Im out of the country :ohmy:

The Man In Black

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Damn, it's come up now

hey if they left the vocals off, what a stomper

You'r right never thought of it like that before Pete, Paul Sutton and I have both been known to play "Golden Years" at Gig's.

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Gav

Like the idea of the movie projection and material for the next Soul Essence. Tinas a big Bowie fan so at least you will please one,

Not sure about you previewing the stuff on SS though it will spoil the surprise. Does Sue know your taking up banner room space on the walls. When you tell her make sure Im out of the country wink.gif

The Man In Black

:lol::lol::ohmy:

The Man In Black, Spose I can't use your name :D

You really shouldn't give me ideas :ohmy::(:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Gav

Not sure about you previewing the stuff on SS though it will spoil the surprise. Does Sue know your taking up banner room space on the walls. When you tell her make sure Im out of the country :ohmy:

The Man In Black

Cosby has his own sketch you know :ohmy:

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Source Advert