Wanted Charlie Drake - My Boomerang Won't Come Back

Mark Bicknell

Thanks to Ady Potts for the offer an issue copy of 'My Boomerang' but have to decline as I've managed to secure a superb condition demo so well happy, would also consider any further Charlie Drake 45's but must be in good condition, also looking for a copy of Norman Wisdom - Don't Laugh At Me (Cause I'm A Fool)......... Mr Grimsdale!!!!!!!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 73
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thanks to Ady Potts for the offer an issue copy of 'My Boomerang' but have to decline as I've managed to secure a superb condition demo so well happy, would also consider any further Charlie Drake 45's but must be in good condition, also looking for a copy of Norman Wisdom - Don't Laugh At Me (Cause I'm A Fool)......... Mr Grimsdale!!!!!!!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I'll keep a look out for those Charlie Drake 45s Mark - have you got his version of "Volare" yet? The other side is a cover of "Itchy Twitchy Feeling" by Bobby Hendricks! I've a spare somewhere which I know is in nice nick - give us a shout if you're keen.

Pictured below is my all-time fave Brit Comedy record - sadly, it's only available on 78, and the few versions of this on compilations are all '70s re-recordings:

post-953-1220473568_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'll keep a look out for those Charlie Drake 45s Mark - have you got his version of "Volare" yet? The other side is a cover of "Itchy Twitchy Feeling" by Bobby Hendricks! I've a spare somewhere which I know is in nice nick - give us a shout if you're keen.

Pictured below is my all-time fave Brit Comedy record - sadly, it's only available on 78, and the few versions of this on compilations are all '70s re-recordings:

Both sides of this were banned by the BBC - rather ironically, as FH was one of their top radio entertainers of the day. When told about this by the Light Programme hierarchy, I'll lay you a pound to a penny that Frank probably said...

"Oh Well - Please Yourselves..." :ohmy:

PS - the other side of this is about to make its CD debut on a collection of 1920s-1950s tracks that were all banned by the BBC for mostly very stupid reasons.

Social source share

Oh my goodness, I don't believe it :ohmy: I honestly thought I was a collector living all alone in my own little closet ! And yet here am I, amongst like minded people. Especially you Mark...Charlie Drake, well well, who would have guessed it. I truly feel like I can at last come out of the closet, as I'm also a perver..erm collector.

Have you thought about starting a thread in lets "Look at your box"? It could be a biggie you know :ohmy:

Would you like to look at mine? Here you go.

God bless,

pottsy.

Here Ady,

I'll trade you any one of these EPs or the demo 45 for the record on the Queen (something) label in the first pic. Don't know anything about it, but the label looks lovely.......And what are the Carios like? Don't know it, but looks intrsting inturesting entresting good. Fancy a trade on the British HBR EP here?

post-953-1220474949_thumb.jpg

post-953-1220474997_thumb.jpg

post-953-1220475051_thumb.jpg

post-953-1220475204_thumb.jpg

post-953-1220475257_thumb.jpg

post-953-1220475419_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

=======================================================================

Hi Mark if you want to inject some extra humour into your life...Try goin to some of the Soul nites ive been

to over the past year they,re as funny has f--k :ohmy:

Kind Regards Ian

ps i,m sure i saw Cheek n Chong at the last Lowton sellin records :lol:

Social source share

Thanks to Ady Potts for the offer an issue copy of 'My Boomerang' but have to decline as I've managed to secure a superb condition demo so well happy....................

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

no, NO, NOOOOOOO!

Well there you go, that's the problem with you collector types, one bloody upmanship all the time, never a thought for the dancefloor, NO !

Bollox, where can I find a demo? :thumbup:

Social source share

Some chance...there's only ever been about 3 copies ever found I think. Tubby Hayes involvement.

Though I'd be happy to do you a copy of the film :thumbup:

Bit more than 3, there's half-a-dozen on Popsike! Is it really big on the Popcorn scene?

Always thought it was a shame that the version of 'Voodoo Girl' on the 45 is so weak compared to the track from the film, which is a Tubby Hayes belter!

Social source share

Here Ady,

I'll trade you any one of these EPs or the demo 45 for the record on the Queen (something) label in the first pic. Don't know anything about it, but the label looks lovely.......And what are the Carios like? Don't know it, but looks intrsting inturesting entresting good. Fancy a trade on the British HBR EP here?

Gene, Gene, Gene,

How many times must I say this to you, if it's not broke....don't fix it ! Re-mix it ? Yes ! but don't go thinking you can change the course of this wonderful scene of ours with dodgy Queen type records, or that other thingy. Please stay with what we know, you know it's the way to go.

BAMba 3688. You know Tony Hatch was a master at work, infact :thumbup: he was with the KESTRELS on this one.

post-2021-1220484210_thumb.jpg

post-2021-1220484210_thumb.jpg

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Bit more than 3, there's half-a-dozen on Popsike! Is it really big on the Popcorn scene?

Always thought it was a shame that the version of 'Voodoo Girl' on the 45 is so weak compared to the track from the film, which is a Tubby Hayes belter!

The genius that is Tubby Hays. I love his "Down in the Village".

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

The genius that is Tubby Hays. I love his "Down in the Village".

The one that im giving play time to is "Tommy Cooper" "Dont jump off the roof Dad"

Great oldie

Social source share

Gene, Gene, Gene,

How many times must I say this to you, if it's not broke....don't fix it ! Re-mix it ? Yes ! but don't go thinking you can change the course of this wonderful scene of ours with dodgy Queen type records, or that other thingy. Please stay with what we know, you know it's the way to go.

BAMba 3688. You know Tony Hatch was a master at work, infact :lol: he was with the KESTRELS on this one.

Point taken Ady - and I consider my wrists slapped! So, which one do you want for the Queen label thingy??? :thumbup:

Social source share

Some chance...there's only ever been about 3 copies ever found I think. Tubby Hayes involvement.

Though I'd be happy to do you a copy of the film :no:

Thx for the offer Pete.......

Rare 45 - but not ultra - I've had 2 copies meself down the years - 1 issue and 1 demo - got a BIG price for the first and substantially less for the second... :yes:

Any chance u might post up a clip of it Pete? I think folk on here would like it - I don't have a clip here meself...

Cheers....MRez

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

also looking for a copy of Norman Wisdom - Don't Laugh At Me (Cause I'm A Fool)......... Mr Grimsdale!!!!!!!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

78 only on first release, Mark - mine's autographed! (My grandad got it done for me at the time...)

Social source share

I think the Roy Castle has been re-issued/booted? on a look alike label. There was one in Kops last time I was there.

There's a bootleg from a few years ago with a large centre hole CBS demo label.

Social source share

Ooops, I forgot I stuck that up on my You-tube 'boomerangsoul' account laugh.gif

I'd never heard of Charlie Drake until Karen mentioned him to me when we had a debate on who did this song. I had been threatening to play it at our 'Boomerang' night in Thorne, just to see if anyone would notice :)

I can't remember if it came up because someone told me that it was customary for the resident dj to finish soul nights here in the UK and that we should also get a regular ender (- not that I had any intention of listening to that advice - as I'd rather a guest dj leaves them gasping for more).

...anyway:

We Aussies grew up with the ROLF HARRIS VERSION of "My Boomerang won't come back".

And after now finding Charlie Drake's version [ HERE ] for a listen, I recall Rolf sounded a hell of a lot better.

- off course, I was a hell of a lot younger when I last heard it :thumbup: .

I picked up a nice mgm demo of "two little boys" in the states last year. twas a real pleasure watchin the seller flippin thru Manships book to try and find it.

Any background on social/ sexual issues regarding "tie me kangaroo down" much appreciated

Please Maria

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I picked up a nice mgm demo of "two little boys" in the states last year. twas a real pleasure watchin the seller flippin thru Manships book to try and find it.

PML :D:huh::lol::P

Social source share

Got a Rolf Harris Picture Sleeve of Jake The Peg / Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport - it's even got a drawing in b/w on the back for you to colour in yourself... stunning stuff

Social source share

Any background on social/ sexual issues regarding "tie me kangaroo down" much appreciated

Please Maria

I don't believe it Mark.

Look what I bought the other month. Only cost me a few dollars, but I like to collect.

I remember hearing these in my youth & quite honestly was looking to a point in time

when these were released v's The Soul Records released on each Label.

Epic_5-9596_PIC.gifEpic_5-9596a.gif

Epic_5-10037a_DJ.gifM-G-M_K14103a_DJ.gif

Many of the Comedy records mentioned were frequent plays on the Radio & TV.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share