Dry Well - Gypsy

Guest MattB

Anyone seen any of these for sale recently?

Never seen one on ebay, think there may have been one or two on sales lists here, just wondering if anyone has bought one or seen one go recently and for what price?

Are there a fair few about?

Whats the condition like generally?

Ta.

Matt

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Never seen one on ebay, think there may have been one or two on sales lists here, just wondering if anyone has bought one or seen one go recently and for what price?

Ta.

Matt

I've seen this at least a couple of times on ebay, John Anderson had one up on ebay once a couple of years ago.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Ta.

Matt

Not seen one for a long time. The one to have tho' is Ellen and the Shandels on La Salle. Exactly the same, only ever seen the one JM auctioned!

post-1355-1220520996_thumb.jpg

post-1355-1220520996_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Not had time to look back through but I'm sure the Ellen and the Shandells one on JM only went for under £200, I can remember being disappointed I'd not gone for it thinking it would go too high for my wallet at the time.

I got one (Dry Well) of ebay (Ex) a couple of years ago for £84. I did get another (Ex) about a year ago for under £40 and sold it on for £90.

Played it at The Attic recently and someone was telling me about an album track version by The Hollies? I can't confirm that, and it was towards the end of the night so I could be remembering that wrong - anyone know? Dean

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Not had time to look back through but I'm sure the Ellen and the Shandells one on JM only went for under £200, I can remember being disappointed I'd not gone for it thinking it would go too high for my wallet at the time.

I got one (Dry Well) of ebay (Ex) a couple of years ago for £84. I did get another (Ex) about a year ago for under £40 and sold it on for £90.

Played it at The Attic recently and someone was telling me about an album track version by The Hollies? I can't confirm that, and it was towards the end of the night so I could be remembering that wrong - anyone know? Dean

Snap! :no:

Social source share

Played it at The Attic recently and someone was telling me about an album track version by The Hollies? I can't confirm that, and it was towards the end of the night so I could be remembering that wrong - anyone know?

I don't know of a version by The Hollies but...

"Gypsy" is written by Justin Hayward, he was a member of The Moody Blues and their version entitled "Gypsy (Of A Strange And Distant Time)" is included on the "To Our Children's Children's Children" LP from 1969.

That Dry Well version is an out-and-out psych tune to my ears.

Social source share

"Gypsy" is written by Justin Hayward, he was a member of The Moody Blues and their version entitled "Gypsy (Of A Strange And Distant Time)" is included on the "To Our Children's Children's Children" LP from 1969.

I came into Northern Soul from a psych direction and when I first heard Gypsy-Dry Well, I was amazed it was classed as a Soul spin. However, it's a great tune whichever pidgeon hole one cares to bung it into and I'd love to hear it played out. :no:

Social source share

Thats is northern soul????? :no: sounds like a Jefferson Airplane...in my opinion...

Cheers!

Ta.

Matt

Social source share

perfect example of Northern Soul record not being a soul record :)

Social source share

I came into Northern Soul from a psych direction and when I first heard Gypsy-Dry Well, I was amazed it was classed as a Soul spin. However, it's a great tune whichever pidgeon hole one cares to bung it into and I'd love to hear it played out. yes.gif

============

totally agree mark - packed the floor in the 80s when spun!

Social source share

Seen here on a list of Soul Sam spins for March 79 at St. Ives.

https://martysbox.tripod.com/id30.htm

He's also playing magnetics 'lady in green', sharpettes 'lost in a world of a dream' & don ray 'born a loser.

A weird time to be on the Soul scene.

Don't be suprised Albert. All part of this very oddball scene mate. :-)

Edited by macca
Social source share

Seen here on a list of Soul Sam spins for March 79 at St. Ives.

https://martysbox.tripod.com/id30.htm

He's also playing magnetics 'lady in green', sharpettes 'lost in a world of a dream' & don ray 'born a loser.

A weird time to be on the Soul scene.

Don't be suprised Albert. All part of this very oddball scene mate. :-)

Ah, the Sharpettes, another fab pyschish tune being tugged towards soul. Or is it the other way round? :lol:

Social source share

Found an old tape out earlier tonight that i recorded at Cleethorpes winter gardens in 77 - 78

Rick Scott plays Gypsy on it.

Would love to here that tape, any chance :thumbup:

Social source share

I came into Northern Soul from a psych direction and when I first heard Gypsy-Dry Well, I was amazed it was classed as a Soul spin. However, it's a great tune whichever pidgeon hole one cares to bung it into and I'd love to hear it played out. :thumbup:

yeah,know what you mean.Sounds great loud tho',def garage/psyche,,,,hard to dance to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless you're in the zone.I like it.

Social source share

yeah,know what you mean.Sounds great loud tho',def garage/psyche,,,,hard to dance to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless you're in the zone.I like it.

"Pushin too hard" by The Seeds....... there's another. Great dancer., but the only time I heard it out, it cleared the dance floor! As you say Kev , great if your in the Zone. :thumbup:

Edited by Maark
Social source share

"Pushin too hard" by The Seeds....... there's another. Great dancer., but the only time I heard it out, it cleared the dance floor! As you Kev , great if your in the Zone. :thumbup:

Got this on 45, cracking record!!

Nice to hear someone else that knows it, whenever it's been played out its set the place ablaze for me!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I quite like psyche stuff!

Especialy the 'UK Queen of Psyche' Julie Driscoll! :thumbup:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

I came into Northern Soul from a psych direction and when I first heard Gypsy-Dry Well, I was amazed it was classed as a Soul spin. However, it's a great tune whichever pidgeon hole one cares to bung it into and I'd love to hear it played out. :lol:

I played it at the last Pembo towards the end of the night you must have beenoutside mate :rolleyes:

Social source share

"Pushin too hard" by The Seeds....... there's another. Great dancer

Dancer? The Seeds? Couldn't dance Northern style to that. Well maybe, but it'd be fookin funny to see! (Not you personally Maaaaaark btw)

Fine record Dry Well. Zero soul content though and for that reason, I'm out. :lol:

ps, Weather's a bit shite mate, ave a word. :rolleyes:

Social source share

I played it at the last Pembo towards the end of the night you must have beenoutside mate :rolleyes:

I must have been, nice one Jem. I do believe you have the Sharpettes too? You'll have to give that a spin at the next but one Pembo cos I'll miss the October do . :lol:

Social source share

'orrible noise...

MRez

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Good call, excellent record, paid a ton for mine mint off here I think about a year ago..

They are about though I have seen them on the bay.

post-8465-1220523913_thumb.jpg

Steve thumbsup.gif

Traded mine in to JM only paid 50p from a back st record shop in Rhyl about 15 plus years ago.

Pete Griff

Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

Moody Blues was posted a while back. Prefer this to dry Well.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/rare-northern...y-threashold-lp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!