Most Expensive?

Guest northernsoulboy6

Guest northernsoulboy6

Hi All

Out of interest what is the most expensive record available at the monent and what is the title? a bit of trivia but just wondering

Regards

Mark

Social source share

• Replies 186
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Nik Mak

Hi All

Out of interest what is the most expensive record available at the monent and what is the title? a bit of trivia but just wondering

Regards

Mark

I guess it would be Frank Wilson 'Do I love you' on original. Last time I looked it went for @ 25K (Supposedly?) CCould be chinese whispers tho? :D

Social source share

I guess it would be Frank Wilson 'Do I love you' on original. Last time I looked it went for @ 25K (Supposedly?) CCould be chinese whispers tho? :D

Is this the copy supposedly found by the two NY hip - hop collectors ? .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Is this the copy supposedly found by the two NY hip - hop collectors ? .........

Malc Burton

Couldn't tell you never heard that story before? I understood that there are only two copies in existance as the rest were distroyed under orders from Berry Gordy. Frank Wilson was an in house writer and did the song to show how it should be sung for reference not to be commercially released. This might be all complete hog wash but that's how the story goes. 1 copy was supposed to have changed hands a few years back for 25K! As far as it being available, everything is available for the right price! :lol: Sorry if I'm wrong just passing on some Northern soul folk lore. LOL :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

maybe a current up todate top ten list of all the big sellers ever

via prices that were actually paid may be achievable ?

whatcha reckon

anyone like to run with it or start off ?

I'll try, not sure if these are right though:

Antellects - Love Slave - Flodaviour - £6k?

J.D. Bryant - I Won't Coming Back - Shrine - £5k?

Don Gardener - Cheatin Kind - Sedgrick - £10k?

Lester Tipton - This Won't Change - La Beat - £4k?

Gwen Owens - Just Say You're Wanted and Needed - Velgo - £5k?

Eddie Parker - I'm Gone - Awake - £5k?

Magnetics - Lady In Green - Bonnie - £6k?

Prophets - One Gold Piece - Shrine - £5k?

Little Willie - Loneliness - Vendellas - £5k?

There are loads of others around 5k, how many around 10k?

Social source share

FRANK WILSON

MELLO SOULS

MARGARET LITTLE

THE COUNTS

THE PROPHETS

JD BRYANT

ANTELLECTS

JIMMY BURNS

WALTER AND ADMERATIONS

GASHER

Andantes - Like a nightmare

Frank Beverly - Because of my heart - Rouser

C.O.D.'s - She's Fire

Combinations - What you gonna do

Don Gardner - Cheating kind

Inspirations - No one else can take your place

Junior McCants - Try me for your new love

Kell Osbourne - Law against a heartbreaker

William Powell - Heartache souvenirs

Springers - Nothing's too good

Lester Typton - This won't change

Fred & Turbines - Bernadine

Eddie Parker - I'm gone

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

<

so is this a confirmed release? did one actually surface. i thought this was a "rumor" record.

Gene

Not sure what you mean by a rumour record. Do you mean never released on Shrine or never recorded? Certainly recorded and one of my favourite all time records. There is an unreleased version, is that the one you mean?

This was on popsike and it lists 'One Gold Piece' as the flip side. Tried to find a scan of the flip, but can't yet.

Is this the unreleased version?

Edited by mike
Social source share

LAst Antellects on Ebay$3150 September 2003. £3630 JM Auction 2nd July 08

Lester Tipton $7200 last week and Margaret Little $7400 last week.

Mello Souls £10k.

More from ebay

Magnetics $8101 November 2005

Prophets $7600 August 2004

Eddie Parker $7200 April 2004

Patrice Holloway - Boy Of My Dream / Stevie - VIP £4161 JM auction 2nd July

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Not sure what you mean by a rumour record. Do you mean never released on Shrine or never recorded? Certainly recorded and one of my favourite all time records. There is an unreleased version, is that the one you mean?

This was on popsike and it lists 'One Gold Piece' as the flip side. Tried to find a scan of the flip, but can't yet.

Is this the unreleased version?

post-225-1220740001_thumb.jpg

There's an instrumental with male Harmony, no lead vocals and an a capella version too, both unreleased mind.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

post-225-1220740001_thumb.jpg

There's an instrumental with male Harmony, no lead vocals and an a capella version too, both unreleased mind.

I wasn't in touch with the NS scene much for a few years there - when the Shrine LPs came out, the Prophets was known, but no one had found an actual copy of the single. It looks like it did turn up - anyone have an idea how many copies are around?

It is one of my fav records as well - so at least there is some hope. Ill be driving along, see a yard sale. Pull over and ask if they have any records, to be shown a basement full of records from a closed record shop. From DC. I can dream cant I????

Gene

Social source share

Quite interesting is the popsike top 50 most expensive vinyl at auction. Some Beatles, Grateful Dead etc... in there, one or two northern including The Prophets, The Magnetics and Eddie Parker.

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?top25=all

Good to see the pistols up there with the best of em :D Infact they seem to be the bulk of the top 20 :D

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

QUOTE (Malc Burton @ Sep 6 08, 07:26 PM)

Couldn't tell you never heard that story before? I understood that there are only two copies in existance as the rest were distroyed under orders from Berry Gordy. Frank Wilson was an in house writer and did the song to show how it should be sung for reference not to be commercially released. This might be all complete hog wash but that's how the story goes. 1 copy was supposed to have changed hands a few years back for 25K! As far as it being available, everything is available for the right price! :D Sorry if I'm wrong just passing on some Northern soul folk lore. LOL :D

I am obviously well aware - as are countless other people - of the £15K copy that KB purchased , but in reference / defence pf my earlier post regarding the two NY Hip - Hop collectors allegedly / sopposedly finding another - and the third - copy of FW , that was my reason for replying to your statement of " £25K " , assuming you meant that it was the price they had sold it for .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

QUOTE (Malc Burton @ Sep 6 08, 07:26 PM)

I am obviously well aware - as are countless other people - of the £15K copy that KB purchased , but in reference / defence pf my earlier post regarding the two NY Hip - Hop collectors allegedly / sopposedly finding another - and the third - copy of FW , that was my reason for replying to your statement of " £25K " , assuming you meant that it was the price they had sold it for .......

Malc Burton

No defence needed Malc. Like I said I was just passing on a story I'd been told many moons ago. Since posting done some research and the 25k was a bit OTT. 15K does sound a bit more realistic!? :D

Social source share

No defence needed Malc. Like I said I was just passing on a story I'd been told many moons ago. Since posting done some research and the 25k was a bit OTT. 15K does sound a bit more realistic!? :huh:

There is some " truth " in a figure above what Kenny paid , relates to the alleged finding of a third FW by a couple of NY based Hip - Hop collectors , and them selling it on for £23K ........

This has never been confirmed since it was reported two years ago , which makes it another NS myth .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

There is some " truth " in a figure above what Kenny paid , relates to the alleged finding of a third FW by a couple of NY based Hip - Hop collectors , and them selling it on for £23K ........

This has never been confirmed since it was reported two years ago , which makes it another NS myth .........

Malc Burton

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that this was a wind up. They had mocked up a label and stuck it on a record which they then displayed on the wall of their shop.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that this was a wind up. They had mocked up a label and stuck it on a record which they then displayed on the wall of their shop.

Spot on Dave----they had a copy up on the wall (and did it just to see the reaction of collectors who walked in) and later admitted it was a laser copy-ed label put on another 1965 record

Hope you and family are all well

Tony and Rani C.

Social source share

It was a wind up. Rumours of others though to exist with certain collectors but not concrete proof just rumours.

ps. didn't see Tony's post till I'd posted.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

It was a wind up. Rumours of others though to exist with certain collectors but not concrete proof just rumours.

ps. didn't see Tony's post till I'd posted.

Makes you wonder if there isn't a box of them somewhere that the guy sells the occasional copy when he gets skint!LOL. :huh: A bit like the guy on E-bay who was selling the Four Trax 'Like my love for you' for £450 to £500 a pop. He's done 5 that I know of......

Social source share

record collector did an article of the most expensive records to be sold

top was the quarrymen acetate of pre beatles mccartney and lennon which sold for £100 000 to............................ paul mccartney i think and went on to be used in the anthology series of releases

Wasn't there a Velvet underground acetate auctioned for $25200 on ebay a couple of years ago Paul.

Social source share

Little Willie - Loneliness - Vendellas - £5k? was 1500-2000 the last couple on ebay

J.D. Bryant - I Won't Coming Back - Shrine - £5k?

Don Gardener - Cheatin Kind - Sedgrick - £10k?

Gwen Owens - Just Say You're Wanted and Needed - Velgo - £5k?

Eddie Parker - I'm Gone - Awake - £5k?

Magnetics - Lady In Green - Bonnie - £6k?

Prophets - One Gold Piece - Shrine - £5k?

Little Willie - Loneliness - Vendellas - £5k?

There are loads of others around 5k, how many around 10k?

Social source share

Assuming you paid £15,000 for a record, would you actually dare play it?

I would love to see (me preferably) a soul-sourcer win the euro lottery (about £90m last count) and see if there was any record that wasnt all of a sudden for sale, once word got out.

Looking at the current prices, the winner may still not actually have enough to buy a mint copy of every single record deemed to be northern soul/across the board playable. (30000?).

On the other hand one or two folks out there are selling 25000 known tracks on DVDs for 0.4pence per track.

No job too small or to big, as they might say.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert