The Brit

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well i would just like to say i had a great time at the brit,numbers were low but i think that can be expected these days.The music was spot on right from the start and i had a belting time double decking with Steve Brown.Glad i did have a good time as well as the records are, or shall be going by the end of the year.

The brit is well worth a vist and even though my tunes will be going this is one place that will keep getting my support in the future.Well done to Tracy and Andy for sticking to what they believe in and may it continue.

well heres me final playlist,dont think they are in order & as you can see plenty of Northern Oldies rolleyes.gif:thumbsup:

TAMIKO JONES - IM SPELLBOUND

TOBI LARK - HAPPINESS IS HERE

AL GARDENER - SWEET BABY

JOHNNY BARTEL - IF THIS ISNT LOVE

METROS - I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU

FREDDIE BUTLER - GIVE ME LOTS OF LOVIN

CHANNELS - OLD CHINA TOWN

RUBY WINTERS - BETTER

GEORGE WYDELL - FROM OUT OF NOWHERE

PATTI AUSTIN - (IVE GIVEN) YOU ALL MY LOVE

TONI BASIL - BREAKAWAY

BOSS FOUR - WALKIN BY

WALL OF SOUND - HANG ON

DONALD HEIGHT- YOU CANT TRUST YOUR BEST FRIEND

HELEN SHAPIRO- HE KNOWS HOW TO LOVE ME

FREDDIE NORTH - THE HURT

LIZ VERDI - THINK IT OVER AND BE SURE

ELLIE GREENWICH -BABY

DAVE NEWMAN- MAKE UP YOU MIND

BILLY HAMBRIC-SHE SAID GOODBYE

SONNY TILL- HEY LITTLE WOMAN

LITTLE WILLIE JOHN-IM SHAKIN

JACKIE WEAVER -THE TINGLE

CHUCK WRIGHT - THE PALM OF YOUR HAND

SANDPIPERS-LONELY TOO LONG

LOCKETTES- ILOVE THE BOY WHO LIVES NEXT DOOR (WHICH I LENT ANDY TO PLAY AT THE END :lol: )

Im sure Steve will put his list up later

Once again a great night and thanks to The Boop & the Bandit for asking us to play

till next time :lol:

Edited by JMYTG
Guest GazArcher

UNFORTUNETLY I COULDN'T STAY AS LONG AS I WANTED, BUT WHAT I DID WITNESS WAS WELL WORTH THE VISIT. 2ND TIME I'VE BEEN AND AS YET I HAVE NOT HEARD A BAD TUNE, WELL WORTH A VISIT IF YOU'VE NOT BEEN

Well i would just like to say i had a great time at the brit,numbers were low but i think that can be expected these days.The music was spot on right from the start and i had a belting time double decking with Steve Brown.Glad i did have a good time as well as the records are or shall be going by the end of the year.

The brit is well worth a vist and even though my tunes will be going this is one place that will keep getting my support in the future.Well done to Tracy and Andy for sticking to what they believe in and may it continue.

well heres me final playlist,dont think they are in order as you will see plenty of Northern Oldies :lol::thumbsup:

TAMIKO JONES - IM SPELLBOUND

TOBI LARK - HAPPINESS IS HERE

AL GARDENER - SWEET BABY

JOHNNY BARTEL - IF THIS ISNT LOVE

METROS - I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU

FREDDIE BUTLER - GIVE ME LOTS OF LOVIN

CHANNELS - OLD CHINA TOWN

RUBY WINTERS - BETTER

GEORGE WYDELL - FROM OUT OF NOWHERE

PATTI AUSTIN - (IVE GIVEN) YOU ALL MY LOVE

TONI BASIL - BREAKAWAY

BOSS FOUR - WALKIN BY

WALL OF SOUND - HANG ON

DONALD HEIGHT- YOU CANT TRUST YOUR BEST FRIEND

HELEN SHAPIRO- HE KNOWS HOW TO LOVE ME

FREDDIE NORTH - THE HURT

LIZ VERDI - THINK IT OVER AND BE SURE

ELLIE GREENWICH -BABY

DAVE NEWMAN- MAKE UP YOU MIND

BILLY HAMBRIC-SHE SAID GOODBYE

SONNY TILL- HEY LITTLE WOMAN

LITTLE WILLIE JOHN-IM SHAKIN

JACKIE WEAVER -THE TINGLE

CHUCK WRIGHT - THE PALM OF YOUR HAND

SANDPIPERS-LONELY TOO LONG

LOCKETTES- ILOVE THE BOY WHO LIVES NEXT DOOR (WHICH I LENT ANDY TO PLAY AT THE END :lol: )

Im sure Steve will put his list up later

Once again a great night and thanks to The Boop & the Bandit for asking us to play

till next time :wave:

:ohmy: JIM.... DON'T YOU DARE GET RID ?

If you insist though....we got a good home for em... thumbsup.gif

joking aside....

Both myself and Andy would like to THANK both you (Jim) and Steve once again for such a great set of fab tunes.............

I will reiterate the same... the music from start to finish.... (think finish time was 1.20ish) was outstanding.............

Numbers were low (35) but all who attended commented on how good the music was............

OUR special thanks to Gill and friends who do not have access to the internet but sent us a text this morning and said "it was our first time at The Brit and we had a wicked night, every1 friendly and music better than any niter we have been to recently. Thanx for playing my request (the Boss 4) and it was great to hear the Magnetics - Count the Days".

Both myself and Andy appreciate your support and send you our sincere THANKS...... and once again Well DONE........... WOW a fab night..........

Special thanks also goes out to our resident DJ 'Al Taylor'......

Andy will be adding our playlist shortly.....

ps ... thank you for the lend of the LOCKETTES.............. especially chosen for Andy's Birthday.......... Birthday Boy... Tomorrow...... trying to obtain a copy (nearly obtained yours JIM whistling.gif ) to go with his other two birthday records............ :shhh:

The Next Brit.........is on.... Friday October 31st 2008...........with our special guest DJ....... JOHNNY 'FICKLE' FINGERS...........

and as it is Halloween........ we have decided to decorate the Bat Cave ......guests are invited to attend in fancy dress if they wish (optional)............however me and Andy are going to dress up as Batman and Catwoman.... Andy as Catwoman obviously................ lol.......

Edited by Bettyboop
Guest soul bandit

ohmy.gif JIM.... DON'T YOU DARE GET RID ?

If you insist though....we got a good home for em... thumbsup.gif

joking aside....

Both myself and Andy would like to THANK both you (Jim) and Steve once again for such a great set of fab tunes.............

I will reiterate the same... the music from start to finish.... (think finish time was 1.20ish) was outstanding.............

Numbers were low (35) but all who attended commented on how good the music was............

OUR special thanks to Gill and friends who do not have access to the internet but sent us a text this morning and said "it was our first time at The Brit and we had a wicked night, every1 friendly and music better than any niter we have been to recently. Thanx for playing my request (the Boss 4) and it was great to hear the Magnetics - Count the Days".

Both myself and Andy appreciate your support and send you our sincere THANKS...... and once again Well DONE........... WOW a fab night..........

Special thanks also goes out to our resident DJ 'Al Taylor'......

Andy will be adding our playlist shortly.....

ps ... thank you for the lend of the LOCKETTES.............. especially chosen for Andy's Birthday.......... Birthday Boy... Tomorrow...... trying to obtain a copy (nearly obtained yours JIM :thumbsup: ) to go with his other two birthday records............ :ohmy:

The Next Brit.........is on.... Friday October 31st 2009...........with our special guest DJ....... JOHNNY 'FICKLE' FINGERS...........

and as it is Halloween........ we have decided to decorate the Bat Cave ......guests are invited to attend in fancy dress if they wish (optional)............however me and Andy are going to dress up as Batman and Catwoman.... Andy as Catwoman obviously................ lol.......

Well I had a crackin night... I just want to say a massive "THANK YOU" to Dim & Steve... You done an absolutely fantastic spot... Over 2 hours non stop... Brilliant lads...

It's a shame numbers were low but we all know it happens sometimes... Nevertheless everyone had a great night so to me it was a major success...

Once again a big thank you Jim Steve & resident DJ Al Taylor... You were all great :lol:

It was good to see you Gaz (soul doctor) & Trev I look forward to the next "driving beat" night on Saturday 20th of this month... Always a fun filled top quality soulful night...

Right then... here's me playlist from last night... :shhh:

ROSE BATISTE-I MISS MY BABY

KIKI DEE-ON A MAGIC CARPET RIDE

WEE WILLIE DENSON-STRANGE THINGS ARE HAPPENING

MAGNETICS-COUNT THE DAYS

THE WITCHES-SHE'S GOT YOU KNOW

DEON JACKSON-I STILL REMEMBER THE FEELING

PATRICK BRADLEY-JUST ONE MORE CHANCE

THE SPARKLES-TRY LOVE

PIECES OF EIGHT-COME BACK GIRL

DEMURES-RAINING TEARDROPS

STARTONES-LOVING YOU BABY

ESKEE AFFAIR-SALT AND PEPPER

THE TEMPEST-SOMEDAY

HOWARD TATE-YOU'RE LOOKING GOOD

THE FALCONS-I'M A FOOL I MUST LOVE YOU

GENE TOONES-WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT

GENO-ITS ONLY A PAPER MOON

RAY JIMINEZ-I'LL KEEP ON LOVING HER

YVONNE CAROL-PLEASE DON'T GO

SAMMY SEVENS-EVERYBODY CROSSFIRE

JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS-I HAVE NO CHOICE

BONNIE HERMAN-HUSH DON'T CRY

THE FALCONS-LOVE LOOK IN HER EYES

BILLY STORM-EDUCATED FOOL

BEN E KING-I CAN'T BREAK THE NEWS

ROGER HATCHER-SWEETEST GIRL IN THE WORLD

THE WEEKENDS-CANADIAN SUNSET

ERNESTINE EADY-THE CHANGE

THE PHONETICS-JUST A BOYS DREAM

ANITA HUMES-WHAT DID I DO

THE SAPPHIRES-I GOT TO HAVE YOUR LOVE

ROBERT JOHN-RAINDROPS LOVE & SUNSHINE

ROYALETTES-OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND

THE SHUFFLERS-ALWAYS BE MINE

KAREN SUE-SOMETHINGS ON MY MIND

THE EXITS-YOU GOTTA HAVE MONEY

CAROLYN CRAWFORD-MY SMILE IS JUST A FROWN

DAVID RUFFIN-ANGEL DOLL

THE PROPHETS-SUSPICION

KIM WESTON-ANY GIRL IN LOVE

JIMMY RUFFIN- I'M GONNA GIVE HER ALL THE LOVE I GOT

A FEW MORE BUT I'M GETTIN RSI IN MY FINGERS...

HOPE TO SEE MORE OF YOU AT "THE BRIT" SOON...

KTF...ATB... ANDY :wave::lol:

Edited by soul bandit

Just like to say I really enjoyed double decking with Jim at the Brit on Saturday,

and by the sounds of it ,it could be my last time doing it with him :ohmy:

Thanks goes to Tracy & Andy for asking us to do it .

Anyway if Jims put his play list up i better put up what I can remember of mine .

EVERYTHING I DO - THE JETS

TRUE PATRON OF THE ARTS - QUEEN CITY SHOW BAND

I'VE GOT TO FACE IT - HEARTBREAKERS

YOUR LAST CHANCE - JAN FOREMAN

IT SURE IS GROOVY - THE BROTHERS CAIN

GENI - TERRI BRYANT

THINK OF ME - THE AD LIBS

DREAM GIRL - HERMAN GRIFFIN

FEEL GOOD ALL OVER - CLAUDE HUEY

IF YOU WANNA - BABY JEAN

NO ONE LOVES YOU - JOE AND GEORGE

TURN TO ME - CHRIS TOWNS UNIT

YOU CAN LUMP IT - SEMINOLES

IF I WOULD MARRY YOU - TAMMY MONTGOMERY

TOO HOT TO HOLD - MAJOR LANCE

BACK SLOP - BABY EARL & THE TRINIDADS ( request )

JUST AS MUCH - KRIS PETERSON

SAY YOU'LL BE MINE - THE ROSEBUDS

MY SWEET BABY - RICHETTA OSBORN

THERE ARE ROSES SOMEWHERE IN THIS WORLD - BOBBY TAYLOR

DON'T SAY YOU LOVE ME UNTIL YOU DO - HOLLY MAXWELL

TWO STUPID FEET - THE TABS

There maybe a couple more but I can't remember at the moment.

All the best

Steve B

Just wanted to comment that I thought those 3 playlists were really good (for my taste at least). Obvious clash for me so no chance of being there saturday. Our number were low too, think the weather not helped.

Hopefully might be able to get down for the Friday one next time.

Just like to say I really enjoyed double decking with Jim at the Brit on Saturday,

and by the sounds of it ,it could be my last time doing it with him :lol:

Thanks goes to Tracy & Andy for asking us to do it .

Anyway if Jims put his play list up i better put up what I can remember of mine .

EVERYTHING I DO - THE JETS

TRUE PATRON OF THE ARTS - QUEEN CITY SHOW BAND

I'VE GOT TO FACE IT - HEARTBREAKERS

YOUR LAST CHANCE - JAN FOREMAN

IT SURE IS GROOVY - THE BROTHERS CAIN

GENI - TERRI BRYANT

THINK OF ME - THE AD LIBS

DREAM GIRL - HERMAN GRIFFIN

FEEL GOOD ALL OVER - CLAUDE HUEY

IF YOU WANNA - BABY JEAN

NO ONE LOVES YOU - JOE AND GEORGE

TURN TO ME - CHRIS TOWNS UNIT

YOU CAN LUMP IT - SEMINOLES

IF I WOULD MARRY YOU - TAMMY MONTGOMERY

TOO HOT TO HOLD - MAJOR LANCE

BACK SLOP - BABY EARL & THE TRINIDADS ( request )

JUST AS MUCH - KRIS PETERSON

SAY YOU'LL BE MINE - THE ROSEBUDS

MY SWEET BABY - RICHETTA OSBORN

THERE ARE ROSES SOMEWHERE IN THIS WORLD - BOBBY TAYLOR

DON'T SAY YOU LOVE ME UNTIL YOU DO - HOLLY MAXWELL

TWO STUPID FEET - THE TABS

There maybe a couple more but I can't remember at the moment.

All the best

Steve B

Yes Steve its a tad sad i know but you know my reasons and i cant see any change in the local scene so its time to say Adios Amigos.

unless you know anyone brave enough to put us on in the next couple of months :thumbup::lol::D:lol::yes:

Edited by JMYTG

Yes Steve its a tad sad i know but you know my reasons and i cant see any change in the local scene so its time to say Adios Amigos.

unless you know anyone brave enough to put us on in the next couple of months :thumbup::lol::lol::yes::lol:

me n Andy................ you two are back on at the 'Brit' ALL nighter

on December 6th.......and the Palais All Dayer (next April) so you will be keeping your collection for a while yet in any case...............

DONT YOU DARE GIVE UP JIM........... you have been warned :D

The 'BOOP'

me n Andy................ you two are back on at the 'Brit' ALL nighter

on December 6th.......and the Palais All Dayer (next April) so you will be keeping your collection for a while yet in any case...............

DONT YOU DARE GIVE UP JIM........... you have been warned :thumbup:

The 'BOOP'

YES BOSS :lol::D:lol:

Guest becky c

Hi,

It was mine, my mums and our good friend Sue's first visit to 'the Brit' on Saturday and just wanted to say what a great time we had. Thought the place, people and the music were all great. Thankyou, we'll definitely be along again :thumbup:

Becky

Guest stivessoulie

And I'm the mum :yes: and yes we had a really good night, love the place, and everyone really friendly, thankyou Jim for the Boss Four and we were really impressed with Andy's set....especially when he played Count the days and The phonetics :)

As Becky said we will be back for the November one, can't make Oct :lol:

Love Gill x

Hi,

It was mine, my mums and our good friend Sue's first visit to 'the Brit' on Saturday and just wanted to say what a great time we had. Thought the place, people and the music were all great. Thankyou, we'll definitely be along again :thumbup:

Becky

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fatius Bumius

Well I know it's a bit late to add a bit of feedback to this one but eh oh...

Echo all the above posts, music great all night, for me anyway :lol: I'll be back depending on Jim's weekend/day off :lol:

Tracey & Andy, on your next load of flyers get the previous months playlists printed on the back to give folks an insight into what actually is going off down the Brit and not just go on hearsay :) . God knows what's being said about the Brit but...I think they've got it wrapped around their goolies :D

I've had a conversation that goes like this:

Me: Oh Hello

Him: Oooo ay up how you doing?

M: I'm alright, just thought i'd pop on the flea market on my way by see if I can find owt.... been out anywhere lately ?

H: Yeah, went to *****VENUE***** last Friday great night (grin grin smirk), it was brilliant!

M: Oh, many in ? I've not been for ages, at least 4 years.

H: Yeah it was RAMMED, banging night!

:D

Me: I went down the Brit the other week, had a good night.

H: Oh, they play all MODERN down there don't they?

(((Modern ? I don't care much for modern and you know it! Arghhh, why would I go to a full on Modern night?))

M: Ermmm, NO. Lot of 60's oldies, underplayed type stuff, good dancing tunes and a few rarities chucked in if DJ's got 'em. A good mix really.

H: Arrrr, what you mean is they play all that rare shit you like ?

M: Rare? Errr, nagh, it's not rare soul down the Brit. And,,,I don't actually like a full on night of rare, somes alright.

H: Grin Grin, course it's rare if it's down the Brit!

M: Nagh its not, it was a good night, not many in though, shame really. A lot of venues bore my t*ts off to be honest! Can't be doing with watching acrobatics all night on the dancefloor and if I hear Ruby Andrews one more time I think i'll puke up!

H: Well, what you got to remember is ......is that a lot of these folks who go out now didn't get into it till later on, they are new to it and they don't know OWT. (me thinking "new to it" being recent 2 or 3 years ago)Most of them don't know the 60's northern soul stuff because they didn't get into northern soul until 1976 and they like stuff like Pain In My Heart, Poppies thing, so folks won't go down the Brit............ :(

?????? Talk about p*ss myself laughing!!!

Echo all the above posts, music great all night, for me anyway :) I'll be back depending on Jim's weekend/day off :lol:

Tracey & Andy, on your next load of flyers get the previous months playlists printed on the back to give folks an insight into what actually is going off down the Brit and not just go on hearsay :D . God knows what's being said about the Brit but...I think they've got it wrapped around their goolies :(

M: I'm alright, just thought i'd pop on the flea market on my way by see if I can find owt.... been out anywhere lately ?

H: Yeah, went to *****VENUE***** last Friday great night (grin grin smirk), it was brilliant!

:D

(((Modern ? I don't care much for modern and you know it! Arghhh, why would I go to a full on Modern night?))

M: Ermmm, NO. Lot of 60's oldies, underplayed type stuff, good dancing tunes and a few rarities chucked in if DJ's got 'em. A good mix really.

M: Rare? Errr, nagh, it's not rare soul down the Brit. And,,,I don't actually like a full on night of rare, somes alright.

M: Nagh its not, it was a good night, not many in though, shame really. A lot of venues bore my t*ts off to be honest! Can't be doing with watching acrobatics all night on the dancefloor and if I hear Ruby Andrews one more time I think i'll puke up!

H: Well, what you got to remember is ......is that a lot of these folks who go out now didn't get into it till later on, they are new to it and they don't know OWT. (me thinking "new to it" being recent 2 or 3 years ago)Most of them don't know the 60's northern soul stuff because they didn't get into northern soul until 1976 and they like stuff like Pain In My Heart, Poppies thing, so folks won't go down the Brit............ :(

:lol:

LAFFIN........

We are taking your comments on board.......... and it just so happens that we are in the process of designing our new flyers..........

you will be pleased to know that the Brit is booked up for DJ's right up until November next year yes (2009)....... with wait for it............ no repeat DJ's during that time.....

We have the lovely man of $oul Mr JOHNNY fickle FINGERS DJ ing next month (31st October) and another great DJ lined up for November ........ Mr STEVE PHILLIS............

we have a special 'all nighter' booked for December (our christmas special) with lots of fab DJ's and the DJ line up for next year is AWESOME................ our music policy will remain the same............ we are A NORTHERN SOUL CLUB............. we play REAL NORTHERN SOUL music...... ...we don't use the term across the board.......... cos we flipping hate it.............

remember the old motto 'come and try it'.............. 'if you dont try it you will never know'...............

as long as our paying public are happy then so are we.................... and the feedback that we have had so far has been great.................

We hear that the 'Attic Boys' will be coming along to the 'Brit' and we will also be travelling to their venue.........

The Brit dates for next year will be available soon .....

Tracey n Andy

x

Echo all the above posts, music great all night, for me anyway laugh.gif I'll be back depending on Jim's weekend/day off :lol:

Tracey & Andy, on your next load of flyers get the previous months playlists printed on the back to give folks an insight into what actually is going off down the Brit and not just go on hearsay :lol: . God knows what's being said about the Brit but...I think they've got it wrapped around their goolies :lol:

:thumbup:

H: Well, what you got to remember is ......is that a lot of these folks who go out now didn't get into it till later on, they are new to it and they don't know OWT. (me thinking "new to it" being recent 2 or 3 years ago)Most of them don't know the 60's northern soul stuff because they didn't get into northern soul until 1976 and they like stuff like Pain In My Heart, Poppies thing, so folks won't go down the Brit............ :yes:

Ive been told the full version of the conversation that took place,Di told me today,Yes i pissed myself laughing. Its a bit sad that people judge places before they have even been or have no intention of going.Bloody stupid. Also it is so sad that peoples perception of a place can be soooooo wrong and soooooo far from the truth.

The above conversation makes perfect sense to me, I've been of the opinion for a long time that some ( possibly a majority ) of people who just attend the oldies only venues think that if its not one of the top 200 then its "modern". Its sad when you think of the amount of top quality 60s tunes these people are missing out on because of their attitude - still their loss not mine :rolleyes:

The above conversation makes perfect sense to me, I've been of the opinion for a long time that some ( possibly a majority ) of people who just attend the oldies only venues think that if its not one of the top 200 then its "modern". Its sad when you think of the amount of top quality 60s tunes these people are missing out on because of their attitude - still their loss not mine :D

:thumbsup: CORRECT Steve

Source Advert