The New Wanderers

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest SteveJohnston

If anyone can help out, I wondered if their was any connection to Ray Pollard's Wanderers like what happened to the Falcons or just sports based names.

Band members, was this their first band and only 2 singles.

Thanks.

Let me render my service Ready 1002, This man in love Ready 1006, Ain't gonna do you no harm Ready 1001 And Ready beeing a N.Y label, Soz thats all i know!

Social source share

Let me render my service Ready 1002, This man in love Ready 1006, Ain't gonna do you no harm Ready 1001 And Ready beeing a N.Y label, Soz thats all i know!

SAME GROUP AS FAR AS I KNOW, BUT AFTER RAY LEFT FOR HIS SOLO CAREER, USED TO HAVE A COPY OF RENDER MY SERVICE/AIN'T GONNA DO YOU NO HARM, SADLY NOT NOW :lol: .

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Thanks Steve I have that bit as well and from my gropevine single I also have Hall, Thompson, Gonzalez and Bradford.

Well beeing of work at the mo and just the washing up to do :lol: i'll start digging mate back soon i hope!

Steve J

Social source share

If anyone can help out, I wondered if their was any connection to Ray Pollard's Wanderers like what happened to the Falcons or just sports based names.

Band members, was this their first band and only 2 singles.

Thanks.

R & B Indies also lists these two releases on Ready, but doesn't give release numbers. There are however gaps in the numbering system, so they could have slotted into those gaps.

The New Wanderers - It's OK / Perry Sue

The New Wanderers - Doctor In Love / ?

The label address was 191 Manor Road, Huntingdon, Long Island, NY, and it was in existence from 1965 to 1966

The Wanderers on Cub had their last release in 1963 on United Artists, so it could have been the same group, however, at this time their line up was Ray Pollard, Frank Joynor, Sheppard Grant, and Bob Yarborough, and this had been the line up for nearly ten years. They split up in 1965 when Sheppard Grant died.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

I've always assumed that The New Wanderers were connected in terms of personnel with The Wanderers themselves. As Dave says by the time of the Ready recordings Shep Grant had died and Ray Pollard was a solo recording artist, so maybe The New Wanderers were made up of the remaining members plus some new additions.

I don't know if I agree with Tony on their releases sounding 'white': Let Me Render sounds pretty full-on soulful in the classic sense to me. I can't remember if their version of Ain't Gonna Do You No Harm predates the recording by the white group The Unlov'd or whether it is a cover of that track.

An interesting thing about The Wanderers themselves is that the records by the group which received plays on the Northern scene over the years have been their best selling releases, those on Cub and United Artists (unlike a lot of 'known' groups whose scene plays have tended to come with more obscure reaches of their output). As a doo-wop group in the previous decade they were largely unsuccessful in terms of record sales.

Social source share

:lol: So what do you think Bri have I got a valid argument on the sound files that TNW are in fact TGB or not. I think they sound remarkable similar.

I did find a link the other day that the Ghetto Boys were a group of wild Hispanic kids from The Bronx so the name for the band could have come from them?

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

• 10 years later...
On 13/09/2008 at 13:33, Prophonics 2029 said:

:lol: So what do you think Bri have I got a valid argument on the sound files that TNW are in fact TGB or not. I think they sound remarkable similar.

I did find a link the other day that the Ghetto Boys were a group of wild Hispanic kids from The Bronx so the name for the band could have come from them?

I am relatively new on this site and revisited "Man In Love" from my youth club days

Started a little research and came across the BMI for "Let Me Render My Service" which dates as 16th Feb 1967 Guardian Music Corp

Writers are Sylvester Bradford (sadly he passed when this thread was born) and Juan Gonzalez (Hispanic reference, as above mentioned)

It might or might not help with the work on connections, but I found this interview with Mary Goldberg from 2004 and the Ferdie Gonzalez quote at the bottom may or may not be useful

https://www.uncamarvy.com/Suburbans/suburbans.html

Time, hopefully, to look again please with the knowledge base on here.....here's hoping :)

Social source share

On 10/09/2008 at 12:29, nordic soul said:

It does not seem uncommon for blacks in America to have hispanic names though.

There has been a giant Black Hispanic Puerto Rican community in The Northeast of The US, centered in New York, and, especially Spanish Harlem and The Bronx.  The Wanderers came from New York.  And, The New Wanderers did, too.  I imagine at least one or two of The New Wanderers were later (1960s) replacements in the old Wanderers group, who backed up Ray Pollard.  After Pollard left, none of the 1950s Wanderers were left.  So, it was more accurate to use "New Wanderers", because they couldn't sound anything like the 1950s group, and, so, couldn't sing their old songs.  Can anyone verify that?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!