Pioneers On Mercury?

Someone on Saturday nite (sorry can't remember who) at Yarmouth played a track by the Pioneers (I think on Mercury) called 'My good friend James', and jolly nice it was too. Am I right in saying this group were/are known by another name?as I was having an alchohol fuelled debate about this with a mate who is nearly as poorly informed about these matters as me.

Regards

Jim.

Bloody great weekend by the way.

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Pretty sure it was Bob Cosby who played it on Saturday, i think off an Ice copy thumbsup.gif and Paul is spot on with his info as per usual :D

John

Social source share

Pretty sure it was Bob Cosby who played it on Saturday, i think off an Ice copy thumbsup.gif and Paul is spot on with his info as per usual :D

John

link

the pioneers were eddy grants group and if i,m not mistaken ice is his own label and ice still produce back catalogue stuff unfortunately not this track :D

Social source share

Someone on Saturday nite (sorry can't remember who) at Yarmouth played a track by the Pioneers (I think on Mercury) called 'My good friend James', and jolly nice it was too. Am I right in saying this group were/are known by another name?as I was having an alchohol fuelled debate about this with a mate who is nearly as poorly informed about these matters as me.

Regards

Jim.

link

A big play for Jamie at Soulsville Leeds.

Social source share

the pioneers were eddy grants group and if i,m not mistaken ice is his own label and ice still produce back catalogue stuff unfortunately not this track thumbsup.gif

link

Eddie Grant did produce this record and owned Ice but other than that and the other mercury 45, they were on Trojan group labels in the UK (Trojan, Amalgamated etc) and if I'm not mistaken, a Jamaican group who came here at the time of Longshot c. 1969 or earlier under the wing of one of the older Jamaican producers.

Paul

SITC

Social source share

I still love it Alison and also the latest one by the group that Dave Halsall (that well known Man City fan :D ) spun me, then sold on the same night to Nathan (who borrowed the money from me to purchase said record!) and that The Godfather Taffy has also just brought. To say I'm slightly p***ed off is puting it mildly. Now, what is the name of that bloody record thumbsup.gif

Social source share

quick surf of the net and found this.......

Formed in 1962 by Winston Hewitt and brothers Sydney and Derrick Crooks, the Pioneers were one of Jamaica's finest harmony groups. Hewitt had been replaced by Glen Adams by the time the group began recording for Leslie Kong's Beverley label in 1965, and following a move to Caltone Records in 1967, the group was essentially down to just Sydney Crooks and a newly recruited Jackie Robinson. Crooks and Robinson, as the Pioneers, scored a big hit with "Long Shot" (produced by Joe Gibbs), a song about a famous Jamaican racehorse. Adding singer George Agard to become a trio again, the group returned to working with Kong, recording "Nana" as the Slickers before scoring big with "Samfi Man" and a sequel to their horse saga, "Long Shot (Kick De Bucket)," again as the Pioneers. The latter track became a huge hit in England, prompting the Pioneers to take up residence there in 1970. Changing their style to reflect a more direct pop approach, the Pioneers had their last big hit with a cover of Jimmy Cliff's "Let Your Yeah Be Yeah." The group never officially broke up and continued to perform occasional and sporadic live shows.

Social source share

Yeah me as well Ali, which is why I sold my copy at the weekend to that nice Mr. flanders. The song is just too poppy and singalong for my rough edged ears.

Jordi

link

Could this track turn out to be the next Futures " Party time man ".......Think it has the potential. Quiet catchy, seems to get instant approval from people hearing it for the first time...........Time will tell. Just a smidge too commercial sounding for my liking, that's not to say that I completly dislike it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Could this track turn out to be the next Futures " Party time man ".......Think it has the potential.  Quiet catchy, seems to get instant approval from people hearing it for the first time...........Time will tell.  Just a smidge too commercial sounding for my liking, that's not to say that I completly dislike it :thumbsup:

link

This is one record that I cannot figure out the reason for it's popularity....

Its just that it's so wishy washy.... I.M.O.

WOOF!

Social source share

Could this track turn out to be the next Futures " Party time man ".......Think it has the potential.  Quiet catchy, seems to get instant approval from people hearing it for the first time...........Time will tell.

link

No, not imo John. Just a tad on the slow side and not instant enough to storm the dancefloors like ptm did/has.

Social source share

I'll bite your hand, p*ss on your motor and shag your missus' leg.

WOOF!

link

any good at putting out fires.....woof tongue.gif

Apart from buying blind or bad recommendation!!, cant remember a record i've bought that i grew bored of, yeah give it a rest by all means for a few years or sell it if u hav to coz of cashflow.....

Social source share

Regards

Jim.

link

They also did another one on Mercury- I cannot remeber what its called but its better than My friend james- Anyone know Nice English- he will be able to tell you what it is as he has acopy tongue.gif

Social source share

There's a track by them called Broken Man, it's the b side of something - just can't quite recall the a side of hand. Don't think it's rare or that but it's quite a nice tune.

link

Yeah, it is Broken Man, also on Mercury UK 45 , both tracks taken from the same album.

This was a "wardrobe find" at my folks' house!! By way of explanation, Jamie, my co-hort at Soulsville, purchased "Good Friend James" for a fair few pounds (but a lot cheaper than what it's going for now). When I go home to north wales to see the family occasionally, I dip into my old wardrobe (!!) where I've left hundreds of 45s I bought in the late 80s/early 90s. I almost fell off my chair when I saw "Pioneers" on UK Mercury. I rang Jamie up when I found it and said I'd turned up a copy of the Pioneers.....on UK Mercury...taken from the album (can't recall name now and don't have 45 with me here in work)....his response..."BASTARD WARDROBE"!!! Tragically it was the wrong one (was "Broken Man"), but it's still quite a nice tune.The wardrobe is infamous for turning little gems up - in the last year it's turned up mint Gordon Keith, Betty Moorer, Gladys (both) on O-Gee, Azie Mortimer on Bloomie etc. Sadly there can't be much left in there that's any good, but it's very amusing amongst us lot. It's like a Soul Tardis tongue.giftongue.gif

Rich

Social source share

Yeah, it is Broken Man, also on Mercury UK 45 , both tracks taken from the same album.

This was a "wardrobe find" at my folks' house!! By way of explanation, Jamie, my co-hort at Soulsville, purchased "Good Friend James" for a fair few pounds (but a lot cheaper than what it's going for now). When I go home to north wales to see the family occasionally, I dip into my old wardrobe (!!) where I've left hundreds of 45s I bought in the late 80s/early 90s. I almost fell off my chair when I saw "Pioneers" on UK Mercury. I rang Jamie up when I found it and said I'd turned up a copy of the Pioneers.....on UK Mercury...taken from the album (can't recall name now and don't have 45 with me here in work)....his response..."BASTARD WARDROBE"!!! Tragically it was the wrong one (was "Broken Man"), but it's still quite a nice tune.The wardrobe is infamous for turning little gems up - in the last year it's turned up mint Gordon Keith, Betty Moorer, Gladys (both) on O-Gee, Azie Mortimer on Bloomie etc. Sadly there can't be much left in there that's any good, but it's very amusing amongst us lot. It's like a Soul Tardis  :lol:   :lol:

Rich

link

Any Skeletons in there Rich........ :shades:

Social source share

This was a "wardrobe find" at my folks' house!! By way of explanation, Jamie, my co-hort at Soulsville, purchased "Good Friend James" for a fair few pounds (but a lot cheaper than what it's going for now). When I go home to north wales to see the family occasionally, I dip into my old wardrobe (!!) where I've left hundreds of 45s I bought in the late 80s/early 90s. I almost fell off my chair when I saw "Pioneers" on UK Mercury. I rang Jamie up when I found it and said I'd turned up a copy of the Pioneers.....on UK Mercury...taken from the album (can't recall name now and don't have 45 with me here in work)....his response..."BASTARD WARDROBE"!!! Tragically it was the wrong one (was "Broken Man"), but it's still quite a nice tune.The wardrobe is infamous for turning little gems up - in the last year it's turned up mint Gordon Keith, Betty Moorer, Gladys (both) on O-Gee, Azie Mortimer on Bloomie etc. Sadly there can't be much left in there that's any good, but it's very amusing amongst us lot. It's like a Soul Tardis  :lol:   :lol:

Rich

link

Any rubber women still in there Rich ? :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!