New Ebay Genre

boba

So for like the last 6 months i have been seeing lots of records on ebay listed as "tittyshaker" ... like some sort of funky early 60s R&B records, often instrumental? Can anyone tell me what a "tittyshaker" is exactly? Is there some specific place that the term came from recently that made people start using it all of a sudden? Like do people say this on the R&B scene? Is it the new "sister funk" where every other record on ebay will soon be described as "tittyshaker"? what's the deal?

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest stonedsoul

So for like the last 6 months i have been seeing lots of records on ebay listed as "tittyshaker" ... like some sort of funky early 60s R&B records, often instrumental? Can anyone tell me what a "tittyshaker" is exactly? Is there some specific place that the term came from recently that made people start using it all of a sudden? Like do people say this on the R&B scene? Is it the new "sister funk" where every other record on ebay will soon be described as "tittyshaker"? what's the deal?

https://www.tittyshakers.com/

Social source share

ok thanks, this was the definition page:

https://www.tittyshakers.com/writtenword.htm

here was the top ten tittyshaker list i provided martin's website some time ago (it would look slightly different now). think 50-year-old american suit in las vegas for a business convention circa 1963 eyeing go-go dancer's twirling-tassel-adorned pasties as he drools into his eleventh beer of the night:

1. SAXIE RUSSELL, EL MONKEY (RAN-DEE)

2. BLOCKBUSTERS, MUDDY PT. 1 (ROCKIN)

3. JACK LA FORGE, THE CLEOPATRA KICK (REGINA)

4. UNCLE FESTER'S BLUES (HOCTOR)

5. JON THOMAS, TIZZY (JUNIOR)

6. SIR STAN & THE COUNTS, SOULIN' (MAGNUM)

7. TWISTIN' KINGS, CONGO (MOTOWN)

8. GEORGE YOUNG, MECHANIC FROM HAMTRAMCK (PACESETTER)

9. SIMTEC SIMMONS, COOLING IT NOW/LIMBER UP (MAURCI)

10 ANDRE WILLIAMS, SWEET LITTLE PUSSYCAT (WINGATE)

Social source share

not sure i'd classify the George Young or Jon Thomas as 'shakers, they sound a bit too straight mod/soul jazz to me...? both nice tracks tho

i think my list would include things like Ernie Fields Orchestra 'Workin' Out', The Page Boys 'Barracuda', The Gee Cees 'Buzz Saw Twist', Jimmy Gordon 'Buzzzzzz', The Four Instants 'Discoteque', JC Davis 'The Splib', probably some twist tracks as well...

*plug* Londoners can come and hear some tonight at Jukebox Jam! alongside the R&B, early soul, blues rockers, etc *plug*

Edited by michael-j
Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest k3starr

Just came across to this message when I was looking through Sir Stan & the counts. Lots of tracks which are classified as 'tittyshaker' come from the great Strip Record releases: Jungle Exotica comps (vol.1&2) and Las Vegas Grind comps on vinyl & CDs. The US label no-longer seem to exists (they did release really brilliant comps in the early 90s when I was in college), but it'ss worth gettin'! Some tracks are more towards r&r, the rest are sleezy / funky r&bs. I hope classifying under 'tittyshaker' won't be a way to sell some not-so-in-demand records more expensive...loos like it is to me...my imagination, perhaps? ***k***

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Hi,

Paypal me a fiver to:- ginaculling@hotmail.com and i will send you a tittyshakers CD with label scans an all of:-

THE ROCK-A-FELLAS / EDDIE BELL & THE ROCK-A-FELLAS COED 512

NIGHT PARTY / COUNTIN' THE DAYS

SIR WHITE & HIS SOUNDS

REDBUG 0001

DOIN' THE SCRATCH / MOODY DREAMER

THE NU-TRONS.

ELDEE 85

BEAT / SEARCHIN'

THE WOBBLERS

KING 5585

THE WOBBLE / BLOW OUT

DON MARKHAM & THE MARKSMEN.

DONNA 1323

HULLY GULLY TRUMPETS / THE SHUCK

THE TURBO-JETS

FEDERAL 12353

FAR EAST CHA CHA CHA / SO SASSY

THE PRECISIANS.

NOMAD 12552

I'VE GOT TO HAVE (THE PRECISIAN SOUND) / DON'T LISTEN TO HIM

THE ROYALTONES.

JUBILEE 5338

WAIL! / POOR BOY

TEDDY & THE ROUGH RIDERS

TILT 778

TOMAHAWK / THUNDER HEAD

TEDDY & THE CLOCK-WATCHERS

WARNER BROTHERS 5626

KINKY / YOU WERE MADE FOR ME

NOBLE WATTS

CLAMIKE 501

TEEN-SCENE / JOHN FRIDAY'S SON

BILL FOLAND & HIS SURFS.

TISHMAN 903

JUST ANOTHER SIDE / SURFIN' TRUMPETS

THE ORIGINALS

JACKPOT 48007

THE WHIP / BLUE KAT

FELIX SLATKIN

LIBERTY 55232

TURKISH BATH / THE HAPPY HOBO

THE FRATERNITY BROTHERS

VERVE 10127

BULLDOZER / STUDY HALL

THE CARNATIONS.

FRATERNITY 863

CASUAL / RED WING

THE CARNATIONS.

TILT 780

SCORPION / FIREBALL MAIL

SONNY FLAHARTY & THE YOUNG AMERICANS.

P A Q 21

COCONUT STOMP PART 1 / COCONUT STOMP PART 2

TONY & JOE

ERA 1075

THE FREEZE / GONNA GET A LITTLE KISSIN' TONIGHT

NOBLE "THIN MAN" WATTS & HIS RHYTHM SPARKS

BATON 254

THE SLIDE / SHAKIN'

CLIFF DAVIS & THE TURBO-JETS

FEDERAL 12359

LET IT ROLL (PART 1) / LET IT ROLL (PART 2)

GEE GEE & HIS ORCH.

MODERN SOUND 6904

CHILI LINDA (CIELITO LINDO) / TARA'S THEME

TOMMY WILLS

TERRY 106

MR. MOVIN' IS GROOVIN' / 3RD MAN THEME "ROCK"

YOUNG WILLIAM & THE JAMAICANS

DIMENSION 1005

LIMBO DRUM PART 1 / LIMBO DRUM PART 2

LITTLE WILLIE JOHN

KING 5602

KATANGA / THE MASQUERADE IS OVER.

PM me when completed.

Jock.

Social source share

Just came across to this message when I was looking through Sir Stan & the counts. Lots of tracks which are classified as 'tittyshaker' come from the great Strip Record releases: Jungle Exotica comps (vol.1&2) and Las Vegas Grind comps on vinyl & CDs. The US label no-longer seem to exists (they did release really brilliant comps in the early 90s when I was in college), but it'ss worth gettin'! Some tracks are more towards r&r, the rest are sleezy / funky r&bs. I hope classifying under 'tittyshaker' won't be a way to sell some not-so-in-demand records more expensive...loos like it is to me...my imagination, perhaps? ***k***

the Strip label's releases are only bootlegs AFAIK. there was a third volume of Jungle Exotica btw released under the name 'The Lavender Jungle' (with made-up sleeve notes and a few tracks re-titled).

not sure i'm a huge fan of the term (was it Jazzman Gerald who coined it?), but it's a useful one to categorise this style of (mostly) instrumental records.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!