Just Ask Me (you!)

Anyone out there got any info (label scans, waffle, etc.) on the Legrand issue of Lenis Guess' "Just Ask Me". Something along the lines of the "Rock Candy" post will do (I got a white label demo of "Alone" in near mint cond from Ebay a short while ago, can't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't a lot). For example, was it issued more than once on Legrand?, was it issued before the SPQR issue? Is it a re-cut?

I've given up with Google and endless entries for Michel LeGrand!!!!!

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Saw a Legrand copy recently for about £70 or £80, but it was a bit 'eggs and bacon'. As far as I know the only boots are the SPQR copies of the stock copy (poor quality label in dull black and grey if memory serves me). Couldnt say whether either label released it first, but the fact that there are no boots of the Legrand means it is always more likely to fetch a few extra quid than the booted label.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Both the Legrand (1042) and the SPQR (1102) were released in 1966 and were both b/w Workin' For My Baby. As far as I know the Legrand was only issued once.

Just to confuse things ... Manship has a Legrand 45 advertised for £6.00 and it's listed as 'Some woman's bedroom' b/w 'Just ask me'. I think he's made a mistake as I'm sure it should read "Just Like Me" . If he hasn't made a mistake it's a one-off and worth £6 a thousand times over!!!

Grant is right - the SPQR bootleg has an orange label.

Social source share

as Kolla says mr manship has probably made a simple mistake.. now where's his phone number! there is also a version on Finally! by Elsie Strong, if I remeber right a pink coloured label, again with instr. on t'other side. I suspect a 'made for northern soul' thing, or is it legit anybody?

Grant (sorry didnt log on before).

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

So does this mean my black and grey copy is an original??

Do I have to make another trip to my mothers to recover another disc collecting cobwebs for the last 20 years??

Or, as is more likely, am I a senile old goat who needs even more sleep to recover from Prestatyn??

Baa

Social source share

Guest micksmith

i've a black/white demo on s.p.q.r. in my collection i've also a spare issue. both are styrine (hope thats spelt right) copies. both have ztsp122833-1a stamped in the runout. the first copy played was at the torch which came from moondogs records in east ham london. that was on s.p.q.r. i hope this helps.

Social source share

Anyone out there got any info (label scans, waffle, etc.) on the Legrand issue of Lenis Guess' "Just Ask Me". Something along the lines of the "Rock Candy" post will do (I got a white label demo of "Alone" in near mint cond from Ebay a short while ago, can't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't a lot). For example, was it issued more than once on Legrand?, was it issued before the SPQR issue? Is it a re-cut?

I've given up with Google and endless entries for Michel LeGrand!!!!!

Legrand copies not been booted. SPQR original on styrene, booted on vinyl and later with orange label with instrumental on flip.

Social source share

Chalky, Mick, itM, Grant & Kolla, all well and good boys and girls. I've got a STYRENE copy on SPQR, gold label, black writing, stamped matrix, BUT, I'm shortly to take delivery of copy on LEGRAND 2000 NOT 1042!!!! with the "Bedroom" flip side.

Now then, second issue? boot? repress? Is this the one that Johnny Minichip is selling?

C'mon peeps, lets have a scan of the Legrand 45 (1042 OR 2000) and settle this.

(I also had the orange/ochre/muck coloured boot w/inst flip AND the bloody awful Elsie Strong on Finally! (faded "arctic" blue colour if memory serves)! - did ever a disc look soooooooo booted?)

Social source share

Chalky, Mick, itM, Grant & Kolla, all well and good boys and girls. I've got a STYRENE copy on SPQR, gold label, black writing, stamped matrix, BUT, I'm shortly to take delivery of copy on LEGRAND 2000 NOT 1042!!!! with the "Bedroom" flip side.

Now then, second issue? boot? repress? Is this the one that Johnny Minichip is selling?

C'mon peeps, lets have a scan of the Legrand 45 (1042 OR 2000) and settle this.

(I also had the orange/ochre/muck coloured boot w/inst flip AND the bloody awful Elsie Strong on Finally! (faded "arctic" blue colour if memory serves)! - did ever a disc look soooooooo booted?)

The original Legrand has Workin For My Baby on the flip and is # 1042. The one you are about to get is I guess (no pun intended) a boot?!?! There's one on e-bay with the "Some Womans Bedroom" flip at £6 (or $).

Social source share

Cheers "Chalks", I've now been informed that the "2000" copy is a second press w/ diff flip "due to local demand"!

My informant says that the Legrand label continued to issue product well into the 80's (mainly re-issues for the "beach" scene - what's that all about?) and the numbering scheme used was all over the shop, so don't read anything into the differences between the numbers.

I dunno!

Social source share

OK, here we go, more news for the hordes of avid readers of this topic. I've now taken delivery of said 45, and ...... ta-ra

IMHO it's not a boot. For a start it's number is 2001 not 2000, the label show it as a "DJ copy" although it's not a white label but a red one, its on styrene. The "official" A side is "Some woman's bedroom" and "Just ask me" is a seventies version of the 60's tune done in a sort of a Hi/Willie Mitchell cum disco style, not too bad actually, old Lenis still had the goods.

Soooooo, it begs the question, is LeGrand 1042 a boot? or a second issue (legit)? or the first pressing (sic) before the SPQR issue?

Is anyone listening?, should I, like others before me, get me coat?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!