Bombay Label

Dennisoul

Anybody got info on the BOMBAY label, I can think of 3 releases below, can any of you wise soulies fill in the gaps please.

BOMBAY 4501...Geraldine Hunt...(Two Can Live) Cheeper Than One

BOMBAY 4502...Fascinators...In Other Words

BOMBAY 4503...?

BOMBAY 4504...?

BOMBAY 4505...Flash McKinlay...I`ll Rescue You

Any more?

cheers, Andy

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Geraldine Hunt Released twice, yellow and black labels with slightly different titles....

Bombay 4501 - (A Big Lie) Two Can Live Cheaper Than One / He's For Real (Yellow) (Bombay across the top)

Bombay 4501 - (Two Can Live) Cheaper Than One (The Big Lie) / He's For Real (Black) (Bombay down the left hand side)

Dunno how these two fit in, Mike came up with these some years ago on the Rare Soul Forum when we discussed the label on there.

Bombay 5450 - Jean Carroll - My Buddy

Bombay 1313 - Ray Abbott - La Tanya

Social source share

There are 2 designs for Bombay, one is defo Detroit the other is a complete different design, no info on where thats from..sorry. :unsure:

I think the Flash McKinley release is actually #4105 ( not 4505) so does not follow on from the 2 Detroit releases, unless you have a diiferent release number??? If thats the case then there are no missing numbers in sequence if that follows?

As far as I my info goes there are 2 releases on this (Detroit) design circa 1964/65

Dave Halsall (T.M.I.B.)

Social source share

Thanks Dave, my mistake checked JMs book again Flash Mckinlay is 4105 not 4505 as I thought. Seen a copy of Flash McKinley last night and even though the labels are different colours, the BOMBAY label design looked the same. Even though BOMBAY is in a different place.

587.jpg

post-2620-1221394548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

Not seen the Geraldine Hunt 45 on the 2 designs before so thats new to me, :unsure: you learn something new everyday. So even though they are different designs it about ties it up for me as being one and the same.

Strange thing is the numbering for all the release is all over the place, which gets my brain thinking all different reasons why?

Dave H

Social source share

Not seen the Geraldine Hunt 45 on the 2 designs before so thats new to me, :unsure: you learn something new everyday. So even though they are different designs it about ties it up for me as being one and the same.

Strange thing is the numbering for all the release is all over the place, which gets my brain thinking all different reasons why?

Dave H

Does anyone know what the flipside on the Jean Carroll 45 is?

BOMBAY 1313 - Jay Abbott - La Tanya / Going Strong

BOMBAY 4501 - Geraldine Hunt - (A Big Lie) Two Can Live Cheaper Than One / He's For Real

BOMBAY 4501 - Geraldine Hunt - (Two Can Live) Cheaper Than One (The Big Lie) / He's For Real

BOMBAY 4502 - Fascinators - In Other Words / Gonna Miss Me

BOMBAY 4105/4106 - Flash McKinley - I'll Rescue You / Milly

BOMBAY 5450 - Jean Carroll - My Buddy / ?

Social source share

There are at least 3 different pressings of the Geraldine Hunt 45.

Here are some scans I have on my computer (sourced from eBay/Popsike/etc.):

post-1392-1221395229_thumb.jpg post-1392-1221395236_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1221395829_thumb.jpg post-1392-1221395171_thumb.jpg post-1392-1221395178_thumb.jpg post-1392-1221395184_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1221395206_thumb.jpg post-1392-1221395215_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1221395243_thumb.jpg post-1392-1221395250_thumb.jpg

Well done Sebastian, amazin` :unsure:

Anybody have sound clips for the Jay Abbot and Jean Carrol releases

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

Dave H

I have seen numbering sequences on a few labels that don't correspond, could this be done for different genres of music E.G Country, Soul and surf or was it something to do with the pressing plants allocating numbers? huh.gif

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Is this a Chicago label or Detroit.

I would expect the Fascinators to be Chicago as the writters credit is Kermit Chandler (ex Ballards & Sheppards) also session guitar at Okeh

Also ZTSC97312 pressed Chicago July 1964

Regards

Paul

Also Flash McKinley and Geraldine Hunt both have Chicago connections

Edited by Paul Dunn
Social source share

There are 2 designs for Bombay, one is defo Detroit the other is a complete different design, no info on where thats from..sorry. sad.gif

I think the Flash McKinley release is actually #4105 ( not 4505) so does not follow on from the 2 Detroit releases, unless you have a diiferent release number??? If thats the case then there are no missing numbers in sequence if that follows?

As far as I my info goes there are 2 releases on this (Detroit) design circa 1964/65

Dave Halsall (T.M.I.B.)

where do you get detroit from, bombay is a chicago label, if you're going by the ztsc stamp on the fascinators, then your'e wrong, ztsc stuff was pressed at columbia in chicago

Social source share

Just checked my discog, NO IDEA where I got Detroit from??? Got it listed as Detroit next to the label, so the mistake might be all mine. NO excuses if its wrong. SORRY sad.gif

With no specific info on the label, I probably second guessed where it was from, or was told it was Detroit by someone, going back to mid 80s on some of this stuff, again sorry for any confusion this might of caused.

The Chicago connections are there on the label and I cant believe I never noticed it let alone questioned it?

It also seems very strange that there is also another Chicago label and artist that are kinda similar.

i.e. Bamboo.....Bombay and Fascinations....Fascinators????????

Dave H

Social source share

Just checked my discog, NO IDEA where I got Detroit from??? Got it listed as Detroit next to the label, so the mistake might be all mine. NO excuses if its wrong. SORRY sad.gif

With no specific info on the label, I probably second guessed where it was from, or was told it was Detroit by someone, going back to mid 80s on some of this stuff, again sorry for any confusion this might of caused.

The Chicago connections are there on the label and I cant believe I never noticed it let alone questioned it?

It also seems very strange that there is also another Chicago label and artist that are kinda similar.

i.e. Bamboo.....Bombay and Fascinations....Fascinators????????

Dave H

Bombay is Chicago, it was a Bob Catron label, he did have some detroit connections.

The other not known as soul records mentioned above are shitty blues / jazz records. There is also an LP on the label, I think by Jean Carroll (I can't remember now). Someone told me that the fascinators are the detroit doowop group who recorded on Your Copy, but no doowop collector will believe me on that title. The person told me that Michael Chandler (kermit's brother who is an alderman) told him that info.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Bombay is Chicago, it was a Bob Catron label, he did have some detroit connections.

The other not known as soul records mentioned above are shitty blues / jazz records. There is also an LP on the label, I think by Jean Carroll (I can't remember now). Someone told me that the fascinators are the detroit doowop group who recorded on Your Copy, but no doowop collector will believe me on that title. The person told me that Michael Chandler (kermit's brother who is an alderman) told him that info.

I have a couple of Fascinators 45's on Your Copy (Detroit label). one on Blue Lake (Chicago label) Definately the same group.

I have allways assumed the Bombay group to be the same group, also have a 45 by the Fascinators on Burn I assume to be west coast as it is arranged by Art Wright.

Regards

Paul

Social source share

Does anyone know what the flipside on the Jean Carroll 45 is?

BOMBAY 1313 - Jay Abbott - La Tanya / Going Strong

BOMBAY 4501 - Geraldine Hunt - (A Big Lie) Two Can Live Cheaper Than One / He's For Real

BOMBAY 4501 - Geraldine Hunt - (Two Can Live) Cheaper Than One (The Big Lie) / He's For Real

BOMBAY 4502 - Fascinators - In Other Words / Gonna Miss Me

BOMBAY 4105/4106 - Flash McKinley - I'll Rescue You / Milly

BOMBAY 5450 - Jean Carroll - My Buddy / ?

I've got that Jean Carroll but it's with a pile of unsleeved junk so it'll take me a while to find it. I bought it blind but both sides are terrible. late 50's or early 60's.

Social source share

I have a couple of Fascinators 45's on Your Copy (Detroit label). one on Blue Lake (Chicago label) Definately the same group.

I have allways assumed the Bombay group to be the same group, also have a 45 by the Fascinators on Burn I assume to be west coast as it is arranged by Art Wright.

Regards

Paul

the burn group is definitely different. those your copy records are valuable doowop records. I don't know much about doowop and don't know the blue lake 45 but the your copy group is definitely from detroit.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!