sircharles

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Hi, Im trying to get a bit of information on the millionaires track - "never for me". I've looked around the net, but nothin.

Would anyone know the date of release, where it was played etc.

Thanks, Graham.

Released on Philips. I think first played around 1969, it certainly was'nt one of the latest discoveries when I started around '71

Apparantly they're white. Great sound though and like Ronnie Walker "You're the One" was one of those earlier records that altered my life and set me off down Soul Street.

Social source share

Hi, Im trying to get a bit of information on the millionaires track - "never for me". I've looked around the net, but nothin.

Would anyone know the date of release, where it was played etc.

Thanks, Graham.

ISSUED IN THE USA IN NOV 1967 ON PHILLIPS 40477 WITH THE B SIDE IF I HAD YOU BABE, ORIGINAL LABLE IS LIGHT BLUE OR WHITE PROMO COPIES. £40 ISSUE £75 PROMO. ALSO REISSUED ON DARK BLUE PHILLIPS IN THE US AND BLACK OR SILVER MERCURY IN THE UK IN THE EARLY SEVENTIES WHEN IT FIRST GOT PLAYED. SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET ONE OF THESE FOR LESS THAN £20. ONE OF THESE ON EBAY NOW # 120303302629.

BRI PINCH.

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

Released on Philips. I think first played around 1969, it certainly was'nt one of the latest discoveries when I started around '71

Apparantly they're white. Great sound though and like Ronnie Walker "You're the One" was one of those earlier records that altered my life and set me off down Soul Street.

"Apparantly they're white" ??????????????????

Dear oh dear.... next you'll be telling us the Kings Go Forth are black !

The Millionaires were very definitely black and very very soulful, their discs on Philips and Specialty are well known to soul fans.

Blues and Soul magazine, in an early 70's issue - at the time Philips in the UK issued Never For Me on the back of the record's popularity on the northern scene - printed a little piece on them, naming their personnel and history. ... sadly my collection of Blues and Soul magazines is in storage but I seem to recall the article mentioning that a few of the members later went on to be part of another well regarded soul group ... perhaps some other soul sourcers can help here ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

"Apparantly they're white" ??????????????????

Dear oh dear.... next you'll be telling us the Kings Go Forth are black !

The Millionaires were very definitely black and very very soulful, their discs on Philips and Specialty are well known to soul fans.

Blues and Soul magazine, in an early 70's issue - at the time Philips in the UK issued Never For Me on the back of the record's popularity on the northern scene - printed a little piece on them, naming their personnel and history. ... sadly my collection of Blues and Soul magazines is in storage but I seem to recall the article mentioning that a few of the members later went on to be part of another well regarded soul group ... perhaps some other soul sourcers can help here ?

Yes, I'm quite sure you're right. I remember hearing or reading something about The Millionaires being white but as you say they are soulful and certainly sound black. I perhaps should have made sure of my facts before stating so. Mind you, I think we've all been surprised before when we find out a particular artist of group turns out to be white.

Social source share

I seem to recall the article mentioning that a few of the members later went on to be part of another well regarded soul group ... perhaps some other soul sourcers can help here ?

According to Soul Harmony the Millionaires on Castle some went on to be part of Executive Suite and others Exectutive Suite and Neo Experience. The Millionaires on Big Bunny, Philips were a different group. Members being Milton Grier, Floyd Gibson, James Sturkey and James Warren, no mention of them going on to be something else????

Social source share

I'm sure that I read on here somewhere that these were two different groups, or am I wrong again? :lol:

again according to Soul Harmony (not always right of course) 5 group by the name of Millionaires.

Ardent (no group info)

Bunny, Big Bunny & Philips (Milton Grier, Floyd Gibson, James Sturkey and James Warren)

Castle (Vincent Paul Unto, William Tyler (aka Billy Abbott, earlier of Billy Abbott & Jewels) and unknown members.

Speciality (Gene Maye (Brother of Arthur Lee Maye) plus unknown members)

and lastly Ruby Johnson & Millionaires on Pledge.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

this is the more current listing:

MILLIONAIRES, THE (fg, modern soul)

Ardent (UK**)

9003 Don't Mess With My Love / (inst.) (89)

MILLIONAIRES, THE (New York, NY)

Milton Grier, Floyd Gibson, James Sturkey, James Warren. Harry Jackson,

formerly of the R&B group The Kings Five and later of the Soul group The

United Four, sings lead on Bunny 506. **

Bunny 506 Cherry Baby / I Thought About You (10/65)

Big Bunny 508 Breakdown / (I Never Know When To Leave) The Party (66)

Philips

40435 I'd Rather Do It Myself / A Rather Hip Shing (2/67)

40477 Never For Me / If I Had You Babe (8/67)

MILLIONAIRES, THE (On Castle: see Executive Suite)

MILLIONAIRES, THE (Los Angeles, CA)

Gene Maye, brother of R&B singer Arthur Lee Maye, and formerly of Henry

Strogin & The Crowns; Johnny Martin, later in The Mighty Clouds Of Joy, Joel

Moore, Larry Davis.**

Specialty

694 Coffee And Donuts / And The Rains Came (12/69)

719 Love Is Strange / It Ain't No Achievement (3/71)

MILLIONAIRES, RUBY JOHNSON & THE (see Johnson, Ruby)

Pledge 108 Stop Wasting Your Tears / I Received Your Message

**MILLIONAIRES, TAVASCO & THE (fg, modern soul) (Jackson, MS)

Mid South

101 Don't Mess With My Love / This Is Love

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert