O.v.o And C.r.&.p Venues

Steve G

Thread for listing venues that play:

Original Vinyl Only (OVO)

CD's , Reissues and Pressings. (C.R.A.P)

I'll start off

Letchworth Irish Centre - OVO

As you know I am of the OVO only persuasion, and when a soul night is bigged up on here by promoters, DJs and it looks worth the travel, only to get there to find one or two of the DJs are playing re-issues or boots when I could of stayed locally at a free entry event for probably a better night out it really hacks me off.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

In which camp would those that play carvers of LP & CD tracks fall? :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I think if someone has made a couple of carvers of LP tracks so that they don't have to cart an LP box around - probably still OVO. I put a few of my cover ups on carvers - saves on sellotape and protects the original.

Social source share

Yeah and re-issues of Little Major Williams and Halo :thumbsup:

This is a serious discussion Simon - away with your Pendulum and Marshall copies :thumbsup:

the real challenge would be something like Al Mason - where the 12" came well before the 7" and then later still the singer himself legitimately reissued it. Probably all 3 formats acceptable on that one.

What we're really getting at though is venues that have jocks playing styrene boots from the 70s of big W*gan tunes and recent reissues of previously released stuff.

Social source share

:thumbsup: I think if someone has made a couple of carvers of LP tracks so that they don't have to cart an LP box around - probably still OVO. I put a few of my cover ups on carvers - saves on sellotape and protects the original.

But in my opinion these wouldn't be originals, therefore could not be played at OVO event.

By the way I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. :thumbsup:

Social source share

But in my opinion these wouldn't be originals, therefore could not be played at OVO event.

By the way I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. :thumbsup:

I know, but it's easy to get hung up on these things and it all to become a bit anal. As said to Simon M really looking at venues that play 70s pressings of wigan biggies and recent reissues of previously issued stuff. No problem with previously unreleased stuff either - e.g. Hesitations last year Kent 45 - absolutely needed to be played at all venues and hasn't been played enough.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Talking of anal, a thing I look out for is if DJ's put labels down when submitting playlists. I usually think that this is a tell tale sign to what sort of event it is. I think it should be compulsory on lookbacks to have at least two playlists from each event. :thumbsup:

a lot of people are protective of their playlists and NEVER post them up om forums ....they are sick to death of snide little gets ripping off their hard searching

Social source share

Good thread in theory, but,

Who is gonna post 'we are a C.R.A.P venue?

Secondly if a promoter falsely posts 'we are an OVO venue' who is gonna question it?

Pete Eccles

I know. The punters I guess - but don't want it to get like a police state :thumbsup: . Perhaps have a DJ charter then - Djs that sign up to playing OVO - that'll sort the wheat from the chaff.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

See below

thankfully there are venues were the promoters would not entertain this kind of rubbish....but sadly not around my area :thumbsup: . oh hi steve how ya doing mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

just a thought my above post does not in any way mean those men of utmost integrity at the ATTIC club who only play class :thumbsup: atb tezza

Social source share

thankfully there are venues were the promoters would not entertain this kind of rubbish....but sadly not around my area :shades: . oh hi steve how ya doing mate :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Name them then Terry.......................as I am intrigued, Letchowrth - OVO, Ath (or wherever they move to) - OVO, Luton - OVO. I would be genuinely interested to know in any of the other venues in this area that don't play OVO and cant off think of any that I go to would not, maybe its because I tend to only go to OVO venues, and then the promoters can defend themselves instead of making a sweeping statement like this.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Does'nt it ever get boring , going over the same old C.R.A.P ??? You will find that if you ask MOST punters , the ones who dont collect or dj , that they dont give a toss what a paticular record is on , they just go to dance and have a good time. I dj and DO play OVO , but i have dj'd along side dj's playing boots and pressings ,and i really dont care , the floor is your guide and thats the only guide you need. I understand that its a big deal to some and each to there own ,but you wont change anything , the people who just go out for fun , will still go to the do's playing boots etc that will never change , we all know to a point which venues play which records and choose accordingly , but i would never not go somewhere just because someone played a couple of boots :thumbsup: i find it very sad if that is how some choose there nights , to me its who will be there and ATMOSPHERE isnt that what its really about ?? thanks for reading enough waffle now , luv Di xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :thumbsup:

Social source share

Does'nt it ever get boring , going over the same old C.R.A.P ??? You will find that if you ask MOST punters , the ones who dont collect or dj , that they dont give a toss what a paticular record is on , they just go to dance and have a good time. I dj and DO play OVO , but i have dj'd along side dj's playing boots and pressings ,and i really dont care , the floor is your guide and thats the only guide you need. I understand that its a big deal to some and each to there own ,but you wont change anything , the people who just go out for fun , will still go to the do's playing boots etc that will never change , we all know to a point which venues play which records and choose accordingly , but i would never not go somewhere just because someone played a couple of boots :thumbsup: i find it very sad if that is how some choose there nights , to me its who will be there and ATMOSPHERE isnt that what its really about ?? thanks for reading enough waffle now , luv Di xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :shades:

Oh please spare me "the punters don't mind" stuff Di. All DJs play some OVO as far as I can see (unless some play all bootlegs :thumbsup:), but the basic premise is that DJs sHould be booked who have the actual legitimate records to entertain the crowd - not Harry Ramsbottom and his box of pressings of big Wigan sounds. If the promotor doesn't have the DJs that have these on OV, then they've got the wrong DJ's.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Oh please spare me "the punters don't mind" stuff Di. All DJs play some OVO as far as I can see (unless some play all bootlegs :thumbsup: ), but the basic premise is that DJs sHould be booked who have the actual legitimate records to entertain the crowd - not Harry Ramsbottom and his box of pressings of big Wigan sounds. If the promotor doesn't have the DJs that have these on OV, then they've got the wrong DJ's.

Well Steve as i said EACH TO THERE OWN :shades: but i certainly wont be spending my fun time , running up to the decks to check whether its an original :thumbsup: i've got better things to do. But you did hit the nail on the head when you said the dj's are there to entertain , and thats the whole point isnt it ?? we go out to be entertained and as far as i'm concerned i dont really care how they do it as long as they make me smile and dance. But this is just MY opinion as i said , everybody has one :yes: luv Di xxx

Social source share

Oh please spare me "the punters don't mind" stuff Di. All DJs play some OVO as far as I can see (unless some play all bootlegs :thumbsup: ), but the basic premise is that DJs sHould be booked who have the actual legitimate records to entertain the crowd - not Harry Ramsbottom and his box of pressings of big Wigan sounds. If the promotor doesn't have the DJs that have these on OV, then they've got the wrong DJ's.

Abso-f*ckin'-lutely!

Oh yeah,

The Junction

Middleton Junction-OVO

Tony

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Well Steve as i said EACH TO THERE OWN :thumbsup: but i certainly wont be spending my fun time , running up to the decks to check whether its an original :thumbsup: i've got better things to do. But you did hit the nail on the head when you said the dj's are there to entertain , and thats the whole point isnt it ?? we go out to be entertained and as far as i'm concerned i dont really care how they do it as long as they make me smile and dance. But this is just MY opinion as i said , everybody has one :shades: luv Di xxx

look at it this way , if a venue is playing re-issue and bootlegs then the tunes they are playing have more than likely been hammered as originals for them to be booted so the venues aren't exactly pushing the envelope anyway

Social source share

Well Steve as i said EACH TO THERE OWN :thumbsup: but i certainly wont be spending my fun time , running up to the decks to check whether its an original :thumbsup: i've got better things to do. But you did hit the nail on the head when you said the dj's are there to entertain , and thats the whole point isnt it ?? we go out to be entertained and as far as i'm concerned i dont really care how they do it as long as they make me smile and dance. But this is just MY opinion as i said , everybody has one :shades: luv Di xxx

and i am not saying you have to. Your DJs should be clear on what they play, and if they don't have the original they should have the imagination to play something else instead. there are plenty of DJs out there who have good records that the punters like on OV - nobody needs to book the boot players - it's laziness. Steve

Social source share

So so far we have declared OVO venues:

Letchworth Irish centre

Bradford morley carr wmc

Good times west mids

Attic Club

go Go Children Bristol

the Junction Middleton jn

Basics Dundee

And allnighters I can pretty certainly say based on the DJ line up

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Letchworth Irish centre

Bradford morley carr wmc

Good times west mids

Attic Club

go Go Children Bristol

Basics Dundee

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

basics is in edinburgh , i'm in dundee :lol:

Social source share

I know, but it's easy to get hung up on these things and it all to become a bit anal.

A salutary lesson for people who hammer their OV, would be the other week where a famous name DJ had to have his records valued for legal reasons. Condition was marked out of 10 and he was averaging around 5-6 out of 10 on most of his top tunes. In real terms, this meant that his £200K book price of the records was reduced to circa £100-120K because of the relatively poor condition of most of them! This is because he is an OVO DJ and wears his records on his sleeve. :lol:

I would have thought that many of these records were really too valuable to be played on an assortment of decks which can only devalue them massively. And collectors and buyers put such a premium on the condition that I'm surprised people would actually risk playing a 5K rarity out on wildly differing equipment. They must be nuts. It's not much fun listening to 'em if they're beaten up or have 'styrene burn'.

Also, I'm noticing a few people now playing boots of their own rarities becuase they don't want to risk wearing out the originals. So if someone has an original Billy Woods on styrene and obviously doesn't want to risk ruining it so plays the bootleg instead, is that acceptable?

Also isn't the whole OVO thing really about money? Namely, whoever can afford to have a boxful of the the most valuable records? If someone won the lottery tomorrow and went on a huge buying spree they could be challenging Butch by mid next week couldn't they?

Playing the format game can only restrict the scene in a wider sense. It strikes me as being elitist for elitist's sake if you see what I mean and will eventually fragment the scene even further because really, 98% of the customers don't even know whether OV is being played or not. They don't mind!

I think that it's really different strokes for different types of events. On the cutting edge of the rare biggies scene naturally everyone would be expected to play OVO. That's the nature of the beast and the kind of gig where an OVO policy possibly makes sense. Although I'm increasingly seeing boxes of carvers at quite a few different gigs these days. As one famous DJ from another 'Rare' scene told me, he doesn't spend £2K on a record to wear it out in a few months. He makes carvers of EVERY rarity he owns and keeps the originals at home.

But you'd seriously have to be stupid to be playing OVO rare oldies on a regular basis. To risk wrecking a Joe Mathews, Billy Woods or Mel Britt to different needles every week is either just plain stupid or a great way to depreciate both your financial and emotional investment by 50%!

Ian D :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The recession (...sorry, I meant "credit crunch") will solve a lot of problems.

Nobody will be able to afford to buy rare records, nobody will be able to afford to travel to gigs and nobody will be able to afford an internet connection to discuss topics like this on forums like this.

Things will be so bad than even a free MP3 copy will seem quite expensive.

:lol:

Paul

Social source share

:lol: I think if someone has made a couple of carvers of LP tracks so that they don't have to cart an LP box around - probably still OVO.

With that reasoning, you might as well put your LP-tracks on a CD and play them from that format. It's no different than playing them from a carver. Just bring the LPs! :lol: I mean seriously, it's not like you're going to be carting around 100+ LPs. Carrying 5-10 LPs isn't heavy.

the real challenge would be something like Al Mason - where the 12" came well before the 7" and then later still the singer himself legitimately reissued it. Probably all 3 formats acceptable on that one.

I don't get why anyone who collects original releases is interested in reissues like the Al Mason 7" releases? The 12" is the only original release, hence the only acceptable format in my opinion if you have a strict OVO policy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Letchworth Irish centre

Bradford morley carr wmc

Good times west mids

Attic Club

go Go Children Bristol

Basics Dundee

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

You can add another O.V.O venue to the list Steve, only one punter and one DJ though 'Bicknell's Bedroom' pretty good across the board music policy played on first class equipment, decent stylus changed on a regular basis.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Although I agree with OVO and the reasons behind it, dont you think it is getting a bit out of hand, much akin to an elitest/fascist movement , where if anybody dared to play a boot they will be taken out to the smoking area and shot :lol::lol::lol::D

Steve :lol:

Not at all - think most people agree there are too many venues and too many DJs. Perhaps a cull of the bootleg players will bring a degree of stability?

Social source share

I would have thought that many of these records were really too valuable to be played on an assortment of decks which can only devalue them massively. And collectors and buyers put such a premium on the condition that I'm surprised people would actually risk playing a 5K rarity out on wildly differing equipment. They must be nuts. It's not much fun listening to 'em if they're beaten up or have 'styrene burn'.

Also, I'm noticing a few people now playing boots of their own rarities becuase they don't want to risk wearing out the originals. So if someone has an original Billy Woods on styrene and obviously doesn't want to risk ruining it so plays the bootleg instead, is that acceptable?

Ian D :lol:

God is anyone still playing Billy Woods? Surely hammered to death at this point, and should be left alone for a few years. You know the bigger problem is the amount of DJs I see still back-cueing their records. I am always bolocking people for it.

Social source share

This thread tends to rear its ugly head every couple of months & quite frankly it never actually changes or achieves anything IMHO.

No doubt that in the next couple of weeks there will be "Wigan Anniversary" nights up & down the country - they will be well attended - they will not be "pushing the envelope" - they will play, no doubt, overplayed oldies. Will they all be on original vinyl ? doubtful - & I don't think the paying punters will really care.

Give it another 6-8 weeks & we can debate all this - AGAIN!!!!!!

Social source share

Letchworth Irish centre

Bradford morley carr wmc

Good times west mids

Attic Club

go Go Children Bristol

Basics Dundee

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

Soul Nights @ Bridgwater ; ovo

Social source share

Letchworth Irish centre

Bradford morley carr wmc

Good times west mids

Attic Club

go Go Children Bristol

Basics Dundee

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

Add the "Double Deckers soul club" to this list....... :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Letchworth Irish centre

Bradford morley carr wmc

Good times west mids

Attic Club

go Go Children Bristol

Basics Dundee

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

Steve the East Midlands has taken a right good bashing lately , and rightly so. So to try and redress the bvalance a little bit here are a few more OVO'S

BENTINCK BACK ROOM

SELECT SOUL , BURTON

WILLINGTON

There may be a couple more venues and I'm sorry if you have been left out.

It don't look good doe's it for the size of Notts , Derby, Leis , .Surely it can't be any worse in other parts of the country.

Maybe there should be two forums on here O.V.O'S and C.R.A.P and they should be encouraged to post there playlist , Im sure that would sort the wheat from the chaff

Social source share

Not at all - think most people agree there are too many venues and too many DJs. Perhaps a cull of the bootleg players will bring a degree of stability?

So if I see a load of miserable looking f*ckers wearing bowler hats, red carnation and ties, dragging hapless dj's from thier Northants beds and culling them to death in the street, I can assume this is the soul police? :lol:

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!