O.v.o And C.r.&.p Venues

Steve G

Good thread in theory, but,

Who is gonna post 'we are a C.R.A.P venue?

Secondly if a promoter falsely posts 'we are an OVO venue' who is gonna question it?

Pete Eccles

post-1355-1221481604_thumb.jpg

Social source share

That's not entirely true, the earls like many other parts of the body increase their ability with use, so if you listen to music and are very good at picking out individual instruments your hearing can actually improve over time as your brain becomes more skilled at listening. As you physical hearing deteriorates you can compensate (up to a point of coarse) by using your ears alot listening for detail, like a muscle it improves with use. There are plenty older folk with better hearing then young folk as they have looked after there hearing and use there ears for detailed work.

You lose the high frequency response with age............fact! Doesn't make your statement about looking after your hearing untrue though.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Update - I know a few of the clubs did but wanted the promotors to post up, rather than presume anything.

So so far we have declared OVO venues:

South East

Letchworth Irish centre

Soul@Hitchinfc - Hitchin

South Essex Soul Club - Capones

West Mids

DOuble Deckers

Good times

Mids / East Anglia

Attic Club

Bentinck Back Room

Select Soul Burton

Willington

Creative Soul @ Silks Wellingborough

North / North West

the Junction Middleton jn

Bradford morley carr wmc

York Soul Club

Scotland

Basics Edinburgh

Spiders Web Edinburgh

Soul in the City Dundee

Real Deal Aberdeen

Black Trackin' Glasgow

South West

Soul Nights at Bridgwater Somerset

The SOul Side @ The Loft Bar, Bournemouth Uni

Go Go Children Bristol

And allnighters I can pretty certainly say based on the DJ line up

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

Hitsville events

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Ahhh, but what if a new track is only released in download format Steve, as is happening a lot now? Do we simply not play it because it's not in original CD format?

In fairness Roger the modern scene has never been based on playing music in any one format has it. I mean I remember seeing Mike Ward with his two CDR hour long set back over 10 years ago. Northern has always been based on playing OV.

Social source share

In fairness Roger the modern scene has never been based on playing music in any one format has it. I mean I remember seeing Mike Ward with his two CDR hour long set back over 10 years ago. Northern has always been based on playing OV.

Steve if you follow your "Carver caveates " does that mean you can have a complete box of carvers as long as you have the originals on show too ? :wicked:ohmy.gif

• Up vote 1
Social source share

This thread tends to rear its ugly head every couple of months & quite frankly it never actually changes or achieves anything IMHO.

No doubt that in the next couple of weeks there will be "Wigan Anniversary" nights up & down the country - they will be well attended - they will not be "pushing the envelope" - they will play, no doubt, overplayed oldies. Will they all be on original vinyl ? doubtful - & I don't think the paying punters will really care.

Give it another 6-8 weeks & we can debate all this - AGAIN!!!!!!

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qlH0Zd2RLIE

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

A salutary lesson for people who hammer their OV, would be the other week where a famous name DJ had to have his records valued for legal reasons. Condition was marked out of 10 and he was averaging around 5-6 out of 10 on most of his top tunes. In real terms, this meant that his £200K book price of the records was reduced to circa £100-120K because of the relatively poor condition of most of them! This is because he is an OVO DJ and wears his records on his sleeve. :wicked:

Quote from Ian D

One reason for things like this happening is that a lot of Djs and promoters do not know the first thing about how sound systems are setup, 1. they use in house systems 2.they go out and buy a setup without any knowledge of setting it up correctly, 3. far too many fiddlers who always have to touch this button or that button or change calibrations on decks.

Running my own and other sound systems for nigh on 40 years i have lost count of the times i have had to give people a rollicking for moving things when everything has been preset for optimum quality but still some think they know everything about it but dont realise just how much damage they are doing to their precious vinyl by a bad setup.

cheers Ralph

Social source share

South East

Letchworth Irish centre

Soul@Hitchinfc - Hitchin

South Essex Soul Club - Capones

West Mids

DOuble Deckers

Good times

Mids / East Anglia

Attic Club

Bentinck Back Room

Select Soul Burton

Willington

Creative Soul @ Silks Wellingborough

East Lincoln Soul Club

North / North West

the Junction Middleton jn

Bradford morley carr wmc

York Soul Club

Scotland

Basics Edinburgh

Spiders Web Edinburgh

Soul in the City Dundee

Real Deal Aberdeen

Black Trackin' Glasgow

South West

Soul Nights at Bridgwater Somerset

The SOul Side @ The Loft Bar, Bournemouth Uni

Go Go Children Bristol

And allnighters I can pretty certainly say based on the DJ line up

Lifeline

100 Club

Burnley

Hitsville events

Social source share

Running my own and other sound systems for nigh on 40 years i have lost count of the times i have had to give people a rollicking for moving things when everything has been preset for optimum quality but still some think they know everything about it but dont realise just how much damage they are doing to their precious vinyl by a bad setup.

cheers Ralph

Yeah and I know who the worst offender is on that one......No names though - but an anogram might be slamsou :wicked:

Social source share

You lose the high frequency response with age............fact! Doesn't make your statement about looking after your hearing untrue though.

Cheers,

Mark R

I agreed with that already, you do lose the PHYSICAL ability to hear as well but as i explained it can be counteracted up to a point with good ear exercise, like upgrading your amp and keeping your dirty needle will improve the sound. Not that it matters carvers sound god awful and are only handy if you need something cut quick for a gig. Again get a real acetate done and it'll sound much better than vinyl for a good 40-50 plays are long are you are carefull. There is enough good record out there for people not to be playing painfully mid-ranged carvers, i do use them from time to time but try to keep them to a minimum. soul quality at a gig is important i think although most people might not even notice why, they will enjoy the music more if its reproduced well.

Social source share

I agreed with that already, you do lose the PHYSICAL ability to hear as well but as i explained it can be counteracted up to a point with good ear exercise, like upgrading your amp and keeping your dirty needle will improve the sound. Not that it matters carvers sound god awful and are only handy if you need something cut quick for a gig. Again get a real acetate done and it'll sound much better than vinyl for a good 40-50 plays are long are you are carefull. There is enough good record out there for people not to be playing painfully mid-ranged carvers, i do use them from time to time but try to keep them to a minimum. soul quality at a gig is important i think although most people might not even notice why, they will enjoy the music more if its reproduced well.

People want different things from soul do's. The last time I went to Goodyears, I was there for 3 hours, I could not tell you what a single record played was, cos I didn't go to hear the music, I went to see mates and have a drink. Yes, other people go to dance or listen to the music, but some don't. And some don't care what format is used. And I'm saying once again, I have about 6 carvers left, if you can tell the difference between those and an original then you have some kind of super hearing powers that I don't posess.

Social source share

One reason for things like this happening is that a lot of Djs and promoters do not know the first thing about how sound systems are setup, 1. they use in house systems 2.they go out and buy a setup without any knowledge of setting it up correctly, 3. far too many fiddlers who always have to touch this button or that button or change calibrations on decks.

cheers Ralph

Social source share

I notice the people replying on here are mostly collectors and dj's , WHY ??? coz the true dancers wont waste there time getting involved BECAUSE THEY DONT CARE :)

Hiya Di

I am a dancer and I DO care.....for me and many others, to hear the original played out wether it be a rare expensive record that I could only dream about having, or a cheap, brilliant, new to my ears sound is what the soul scene, for me was and still is all about.

The years of travelling up and down this country was to HEAR certain DJs who you knew had certain records (original vinyl) OR they where guaranteed to make your head spin and your feet jump with something new. If everyone played boots and CDs then no-one would travel anywhere, venues would be empty and the scene would die a death, because there would be nothing to travel for.

Keep the boots and Cds for Weddings and Discos, where they belong, certainly not on the soul scene, as for damaging really rare records, maybe you need to decide (or in some cases, your ego) if you are A or B and which of the 2 is more important to you and your collection. If your decision to be both then that is the risk you take. DJs with bigger sounds get paid bigger fees, because at the end of the day it is these rare big sounds (in there original format) that the paying punters have come to hear.........and of course dance to. :thumbup:

A - collector

B- Dj

With respect

Phyllis

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Well Steve as i said EACH TO THERE OWN yes.gif but i certainly wont be spending my fun time , running up to the decks to check whether its an original :thumbup:

Thats weird because a lot of pressings and boots sound sh-te compared to the original, so for me its about quality aswell. Can you NOT tell the difference? A good example is the boot of Frankie Crocker. So, i do care whats on the decks....... :)

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Hi J.B.

If a venue has a good steup it helps keep those precious vinyls in as good a condition as possible so that you dont have to keep replacing them or continually worrying about whats happening to them whilst you are doing a spot plus the sound quality will prevail, there is nothing worse than going somewhere and not enjoying yourself because of a crap setup.

cheers Ralph

Social source share

Three Greyhounds in Middlewich, Cheshire is OVO.

Played there on Saturday night. Very enjoyable it was too!

Can't help thinking, though, that this 'OVO thing' often hampers the promotion of good, current, Soul Music.

I'd have loved to have been able to play 'em some of my stuff that's only available on CD.

Guess I've always seen my role as a Soul DJ, partly as a promoter of Soul Music (rather than as a 'collector' just playing his collection).

So this great (new) track gets released on CD in the US... that I really want to play out... a) because it's bloody good cool.gif because I reckon it will 'go' on the scene and c) because it will help spread the music which will hopefully lead to sales for the artist / label etc...

... so what then?

Leave it at home?

I worked at Worcester a couple of weeks ago and played a track off the new Steve Cropper album (If It Wasn't For Love).

Several people commented on how much they enjoyed the track and how it sounded so 'right'.

Anyone else playing it?...

...Anyone else 'allowed' to play it?

:)

Funny old scene innit?

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Not at all - think most people agree there are too many venues and too many DJs. Perhaps a cull of the bootleg players will bring a degree of stability?

Hit the nail on the head there Steve - again.

In 20+ years of DJing I always have and always will play originals only. If I don't have the record, I can't play it and in developing my set I will look at what I have, not what I wish I had or what others are playing.

There is nothing more galling than hearing another so called DJ playing something off a boot, particularly a 70's boot which he/she bought around the time he/she left the scene only to return 25 years later proclaiming him/her self to have been at the centre all the time!

Do promoters care? No, probably not. Getting people through the door is their primary concern so why bother? Oh that and DJing themselves - not always a wise move. They should though. In providing a quality service to the paying customer they would win a loyal and appreciative following and encourage travel to the venue.

Do punters care? Well I'm a punter and I do! I feel cheated if someone has not taken the trouble or is just not into the music enough to want to own and play an original. Of course you can tell. Sound quality, a DJ playing a record that is clearly out of sorts with the rest of his set or those who cover the label either on the decks or after it's finished. Also there sometimes seems to be a hurry to return said disc to it's box.

As for playlists, well why not publish these? This scene is about sharing music so why keep it a secret? Sadly I have seen those who post correct labels when they have not played off that label so it may not make much difference.

I still fear, Steve, that it ain't gonna be solved as the root problem is very deeply um, rooted. The symptoms are too many venues and too many DJs and we don't seem to be able to change that. The effect is that the scene is a watered down version of what it was with no need to travel, you can hear the same boots everywhere.

John.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Well Steve as i said EACH TO THERE OWN yes.gif but i certainly wont be spending my fun time , running up to the decks to check whether its an original :thumbup:

Thats weird because a lot of pressings and boots sound sh-te compared to the original, so for me its about quality aswell. Can you NOT tell the difference? A good example is the boot of Frankie Crocker. So, i do care whats on the decks....... :)

The first boot of Frankie Crocker on blue Turbo is perfect quality and is a legit reissue. Bad example.

Social source share

No i'm afraid i cant , all i hear is the music i love , and i dont analyse it biggrin.gif

Social source share

The first boot of Frankie Crocker on blue Turbo is perfect quality and is a legit reissue. Bad example.

er, so if its a legit reissue its not a boot then pete :thumbup:

Social source share

Hit the nail on the head there Steve - again.

In 20+ years of DJing I always have and always will play originals only. If I don't have the record, I can't play it and in developing my set I will look at what I have, not what I wish I had or what others are playing.

There is nothing more galling than hearing another so called DJ playing something off a boot, particularly a 70's boot which he/she bought around the time he/she left the scene only to return 25 years later proclaiming him/her self to have been at the centre all the time!

Do promoters care? No, probably not. Getting people through the door is their primary concern so why bother? Oh that and DJing themselves - not always a wise move. They should though. In providing a quality service to the paying customer they would win a loyal and appreciative following and encourage travel to the venue.

Do punters care? Well I'm a punter and I do! I feel cheated if someone has not taken the trouble or is just not into the music enough to want to own and play an original. Of course you can tell. Sound quality, a DJ playing a record that is clearly out of sorts with the rest of his set or those who cover the label either on the decks or after it's finished. Also there sometimes seems to be a hurry to return said disc to it's box.

As for playlists, well why not publish these? This scene is about sharing music so why keep it a secret? Sadly I have seen those who post correct labels when they have not played off that label so it may not make much difference.

I still fear, Steve, that it ain't gonna be solved as the root problem is very deeply um, rooted. The symptoms are too many venues and too many DJs and we don't seem to be able to change that. The effect is that the scene is a watered down version of what it was with no need to travel, you can hear the same boots everywhere.

John.

I am also a punter who cares. How many times have you been to a do or read a play list when someone has played a record and a lightbulb goes off in your head thinking, "so and so DJ playing a certain record and you no dammed well they haven't got the original" and as you also said play list with bogus labels listed. If you are absolutely certain someone has played a boot or re-issue at a venue it should be featured in the feedback of said venue.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

So, precisely where are the C.r.&.p venue's?

Not one been listed yet - which to my mind quite defeats the objects of the thread. :thumbup:

Ironside

The thread is shite anyway, full of anoraks and trainspotters moaning away as usual, these people make up about 10% of the Northern scene but they appear to dictate everything that happens on it.

Social source share

If the thread is to have any merit then surely it has to show some balls. yes.gif

Instead of mincing on about all that is OVO - let's have you naming and shaming. Come on - who are the heretics? And, where are the fookin C.r.&.p venues.

You've strarted - so you may as well fookin finish.

Well said Pete . I think Steve knows some CR&P venues :)

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

If the thread is to have any merit then surely it has to show some balls. :)

Instead of mincing on about all that is OVO - let's have you naming and shaming. Come on - who are the heretics? And, where are the fookin C.r.&.p venues.

You've strarted - so you may as well fookin finish.

i dont go out every week but do get out as often as possible, when i do it is always to somewhere that i am confident that i will be hearing original vinyl and more often than not records i havent heard before, surely if everyone did this then the non OVO clubs would either disappear or continue to function but with a crowd that dont really care about the provenance (great word , got that from 'flog it')

Social source share

i dont go out every week but do get out as often as possible, when i do it is always to somewhere that i am confident that i will be hearing original vinyl and more often than not records i havent heard before, surely if everyone did this then the non OVO clubs would either disappear or continue to function but with a crowd that dont really care about the provenance (great word , got that from 'flog it')

Yeah, ok Andy, provenance is a good word. However, you did little to answer my question which you were so happy to bastardise in your own post.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Yeah, ok Andy, provenance is a good word. However, you did little to answer my question which you were so happy to bastardise in your own post.

bastardise :thumbup:

Social source share

It would make more sense to grade the DJ's rather than a venue - I've often been to venues where one guest has played played all original issues and the other has played a mixture of originals, pressings and bootlegs.

Don't think you can blame a venue if a guest DJ comes along and slips in a few dodgy ones - the promoter can't spend all night looking over the DJ's shoulder.

If you take Annesley as an example, Pete Taylor, one of the co-promoters constantly spends a lot of money to keep up with the big sounds and I've never heard him play anything other than original records. They have 2 guest DJ's every month and try and get a mix across the board - if one is an oldies DJ they'll make sure the other plays across the board. What they don't know is what those DJ's are going to play until it's on the decks.

Social source share

For me the "bootleg" issue is pretty irrelevant, what is relevant is having fresh, exciting and awesome sets from people that are passionate about the music, and have the b*ll*cks to push the boundries, whilst keeping a floor. Unfortunately people what play "boots" are unlikely to have anything "tasty" in their armoury and are, by virtue of this.............CRAP D.J.'s. Having said that, there may be some that have a large disposable income to spend on these wonderful "originals", but can only spot a "good" record if it's got a high price on it.

Des Parker

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!