• Replies 31
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest bazabod_downunder

Had one in my grubby little hands last saturday, mint copy as well, John Phillips has it amongst everything else...lol

KTF

Baz

you would be lucky to get change out of £1500 (that's if you can find one!!) top tune tho!
Social source share

are we talking about "I dont like to lose". Of course we are. I creamed when a copy came into my possession in the mid 90s. Under a ton i sold it for. Interesting story bout that disc. Loads of copies available in somebodies hands. Wouldnt sell. Place closed/went bust or whatever. Several 100 copies vanished, poof, just like that. Probably binned! Instant 2 grand jobbie nowadays me-thinks. Wigan monster covered up as something rather stupid i think, circa 78 wasnt it?

Social source share

are we talking about "I dont like to lose". Of course we are. I creamed when a copy came into my possession in the mid 90s. Under a ton i sold it for. Interesting story bout that disc. Loads of copies available in somebodies hands. Wouldnt sell. Place closed/went bust or whatever. Several 100 copies vanished, poof, just like that. Probably binned! Instant 2 grand jobbie nowadays me-thinks. Wigan monster covered up as something rather stupid i think, circa 78 wasnt it?

Covered as Joe Mathews if I remember correctly.

Social source share

I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't like it then? :unsure:

Sold one for a mate about 15 years ago, maybe more, for something like £150 which was about right for then? Perhaps a little cheap... maybe.

£2,000? As they say, its a mad mad world.

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Top one is just a 'bad' pic of the issue I think. I've certainly never seen or heard of a W/D. Would be glad to be proved wrong though.

Yep the green insde the P is a bit of a give away and the lettering running round the outside of the bottom half also. Rest of the label looks pretty white though.. g.gif

Social source share

Dead right Pete. We were saying this on Prophonics thread last week. It's a stunning fookin record for sure - it's a haunting record.

:thumbup:

This record defined the main ballroom at Wigan at its finest. A truly awesome sound, thumping beat, tortured vocals, great break.

Breathtaking soul. This set the standard for me. One of my all time favourites.

By the way did I say I liked it ? :D

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

it was deffo richards biggest record,amid all the mire of the time this and "christine cooper" saved the day! having said that i've seen it played to a handful, so i suppose you had to be around to appreciate how massive it was,handclaps and all! would it fill the floor nowadays? probably not, but it ushered in a whole host of top tunes from richard,kenny gamble,eddie day, jackie beavers, court davis etc etc,and for four years, no one,and i mean no one could touch him.

Social source share

:thumbup: ............Then uncovered rather unceromoniously, much to RS consternation :D .

Russ

long time ago but im sure my old mate kev draper from huntingdon found a copy of this 45 in the usa and played it at a peterborough all-nighter not sure of the year though but much to r searlings annoyance, imo i think r searling got a lot of mileage out of that tune, :D:unsure:
Social source share

Guest inspirations001

i think kev draper got his from soul bowl,after arthur fenn got the 2nd copy. it was kev draper who uncovered it,much to richards annoyance.all water under the bridge,he bought it so could do what the hell he liked i suppose.he got the noteriorty out of it,would have got a lot more if richard would have got hold of him :thumbup: yeah he got mileage out of it, but pleased all us lot to death for a few years,still one of my top 10 tunes

Social source share

i think kev draper got his from soul bowl,after arthur fenn got the 2nd copy. it was kev draper who uncovered it,much to richards annoyance.all water under the bridge,he bought it so could do what the hell he liked i suppose.he got the noteriorty out of it,would have got a lot more if richard would have got hold of him :lol: yeah he got mileage out of it, but pleased all us lot to death for a few years,still one of my top 10 tunes

Arthur has been blaming himself for years about uncovering this, seems he had a copy but forgot to put a cover up label on the B-side in his haste to play it out.

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

yeah he said, but don't know if anyone got a real close up look.richard had the b side to court davis with no paper on,i clocked it once but didn't really see it. was herbie williams for a few more years! i was there the night arthur was talking to richard and turned and said,"so what if it's the fooking group feat cecil washington"!! and just walked off.

Social source share

It was "Joe Matthews" on Kool Kat. ZTSC stamp was rumoured to be out of the Dearborn area! (Searling and John Anderson must've thought we were right dick heads- howay man lads !)

Edited by ZTSC
Social source share

Had one in my grubby little hands last saturday, mint copy as well, John Phillips has it amongst everything else...lol

i bought a mint copy from john philips in the early 90s for £200. he`d found someone who

had a few copies. i think john sent his money but i dont think the records ever arrived.

i foolishly traded that and the tomangoes for a vivien carroll on merben in 2000...........

still ask myself WHY

dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert