Paypal - Sellers Beware

slimharpo

I sold a 45 FOR £15 INC standard Airmail to a guy in Germany who paid through Paypal. He emailed a couple of weeks later saying he hadn't received and asked had I sent it. I sent him a scan of the Proof of Posting and suggested he enquire with the German Post Office. A couple of weeks later he opened a dispute with Paypal saying no record no refund. Paypal took £15 from my account pending the resolution of the dispute. I sent Paypal the same PoP scan. During the dispute period he gave me a negative rating, my first in 7+ years and over 1400 trades. At the end of the dispute period Paypal finds for the buyer and gave him my money! I could prove I sent it, but he couldn't prove he didn't get it but I lost out. This has to be wrong. I have appealed but hold out little hope of success. £15 isn't much but it's the principle. Sellers have absolutlely no protection from Paypal if anyone opens a dispute. You only have a chance of success if the buyer pays for tracking insurance which is unlikely on low value items. For a seller to insist on this would significantly lower their chances of selling in my opinion. Anyone else experience the same problem? If so did they find a way of getting their money back?

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I sold a 45 FOR £15 INC standard Airmail to a guy in Germany who paid through Paypal. He emailed a couple of weeks later saying he hadn't received and asked had I sent it. I sent him a scan of the Proof of Posting and suggested he enquire with the German Post Office. A couple of weeks later he opened a dispute with Paypal saying no record no refund. Paypal took £15 from my account pending the resolution of the dispute. I sent Paypal the same PoP scan. During the dispute period he gave me a negative rating, my first in 7+ years and over 1400 trades. At the end of the dispute period Paypal finds for the buyer and gave him my money! I could prove I sent it, but he couldn't prove he didn't get it but I lost out. This has to be wrong. I have appealed but hold out little hope of success. £15 isn't much but it's the principle. Sellers have absolutlely no protection from Paypal if anyone opens a dispute. You only have a chance of success if the buyer pays for tracking insurance which is unlikely on low value items. For a seller to insist on this would significantly lower their chances of selling in my opinion. Anyone else experience the same problem? If so did they find a way of getting their money back?

Weve been down this road before dear friend.

WHEN SENDING ITEMS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID FOR WITH PAYPAL,

UNLESS YOU KNOW THE PERSON ,ALWAYS ,ALWAYS USE REGISTERED(SIGNED FOR MAIL)

IF HE WANTS IT HE HAS TO SIGN FOR IT,THAT'S PROOF HE GOT IT!

IF HE GOT IT AND HE DON'T LIKE IT ,THEN IT'S HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO SEND IT BACK FOR A FULL REFUND.

COSTS MORE BUT WORTH IT IN THE END!

Social source share

Weve been down this road before dear friend.

WHEN SENDING ITEMS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID FOR WITH PAYPAL,

UNLESS YOU KNOW THE PERSON ,ALWAYS ,ALWAYS USE REGISTERED(SIGNED FOR MAIL)

IF HE WANTS IT HE HAS TO SIGN FOR IT,THAT'S PROOF HE GOT IT!

IF HE GOT IT AND HE DON'T LIKE IT ,THEN IT'S HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO SEND IT BACK FOR A FULL REFUND.

COSTS MORE BUT WORTH IT IN THE END!

Yeah I think that would work OK in UK but if seller pays it's £5-6 for registered to Europe. Not worth it on a £12 record and I think if you state buyer has to pay even on low cost records, they won't bid. Thanks for answering.

Social source share

Yeah I think that would work OK in UK but if seller pays it's £5-6 for registered to Europe. Not worth it on a £12 record and I think if you state buyer has to pay even on low cost records, they won't bid. Thanks for answering.

I don't think that it necessarily deters buyers, if someone wants the record bad enough they'll pay the extra postage. Or can't you transfer your paypal balance into your bank weekly (poss inconvenience admittedly), but then if you've no balance they can't reclaim it? :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I don't think that it necessarily deters buyers, if someone wants the record bad enough they'll pay the extra postage. Or can't you transfer your paypal balance into your bank weekly (poss inconvenience admittedly), but then if you've no balance they can't reclaim it? :rolleyes:

If your balance is not enough to cover the repayment they take it out of your linked account the F*^king T*^ts at paypal that make the award to the buyer want f*^kin shooting :wave:

Social source share

Guest soulful ady

I don't think that it necessarily deters buyers, if someone wants the record bad enough they'll pay the extra postage. Or can't you transfer your paypal balance into your bank weekly (poss inconvenience admittedly), but then if you've no balance they can't reclaim it? unsure.gif

Hi i had the same a couple of months ago,only this time in germany,someone bought a re-issue of Kirk Harris for a fiver,then complained it was not original to ebay and paypal,dispite it clearly stating it was a re-issue(which he should ave known as it was on B.I.N ).

Paypal took the fiver plus £3 postage,you can't win,i got a neg then limited access till the dispute was cleared.

A right pain..Ady

Social source share

Its not that much more to send it recorded, I always do no need to penny pinch when the out come is you lose the lot and do they still do 2nd class recorded post. cool.gif

Hi. Thanks for replying. I wasn't 'penny pinching' as I said in my post the buyer was from Germany. It would have cost me £5 for tracking post on a £12.50 record. To be fair, this is the only time it has happened in over 7 years. It is just si frustrating. See Ady's post before yours. He sewems to have had a worse experience than mine.

Social source share

It don't even matter if you send something international signed for... paypal still 99% of the time side with the buyer

If you don't have the money in your paypal account they put it into negative and it takes fluffing ages to put things right - which is no good if at the same time you're trying to buy nice shiny vinyl things...

make sure you block the bidder from bidding again, and then post his name on here and tell everyone to block him

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!