Gil Scott-heron Is Full Of

ImberBoy

Gil Scott-Heron is full of ...

Gil Scott-Heron says that "a dollar nine gets a bottle of wine"

What a complete crock!

The present exchange rate is 1 U.S. dollar = 0.545167094 British pounds

So by Mr Scott-Heron's reckoning a bottle of wine costs 67p

Tescos are selling bottles of Alta Italia Trentino Pinot Grigio for £45.54, granted this is at the top end of the scale.

ALDI have a range of "Mini" wines, the cheapest is £1.29 for a very small 25cl, I think we have been lied to by a once respected soul artist.

I wonder how many other so called bastions of soul have fibbed in order to sell records.

Shame on you Mr Scott-Heron and I for one will not be dancing to your hypnotic beat.

:huh:

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Matt Male

What a complete crock!

:lol:

:(

Aren't we talking 70's prices Simon? :huh:

Echoes of the Viz letters page here... why oh why...

Social source share

He said $1.09 get a bottle of wine it never says I paid the store keeper the money, could be he had $1.09 and did a runner with the bottle of wine? :huh:

In fact I think he is in La la land its all observations see that black boy etc bet he's never been to a shop in his life bet his old woman dose the shopping.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Tescos are selling bottles of Alta Italia Trentino Pinot Grigio for £45.54, granted this is at the top end of the scale.

"£45.54 gets a bottle of Alta Italia Trentino Pinot Grigio" just don't sound right though does it :huh:

Social source share

What a complete crock!

ALDI have a range of "Mini" wines, the cheapest is £1.29 for a very small 25cl, I think we have been lied to by a once respected soul artist.

I wonder how many other so called bastions of soul have fibbed in order to sell records.

Shame on you Mr Scott-Heron and I for one will not be dancing to your hypnotic beat.

You do make me smile Simon.

Social source share

I get way behind very quickly.

I thought the pound was very strong against the dollar. :huh:

Skip Mahoney said he'd work "over time, under time, any time, all the time" just for one minute of Janice's time.

Don't believe him.

He also vowed to 'keep some fine rags on her back!' - but did he, did he?

Social source share

That Lenny Welch's bird picked a fine time, didn't she?

But how do we know Barry? Did she? I've heard this line so many times - think the record's got stuck.

I would also like to know who was around to witness, and therefore substantiate, that that Crocker geezer actually used a ton of explosives. Seems to be erring on the side of bullshit to me.

And whilst we're on the subject I do not believe for one minute that the geezer from the Moments rang his bird nine times.

Right - I'll get me coat. I'm off to see the Forest kick Charltons arse!

Social source share

But how do we know Barry? Did she? I've heard this line so many times - think the record's got stuck.

I would also like to know who was around to witness, and therefore substantiate, that that Crocker geezer actually used a ton of explosives. Seems to be erring on the side of bullshit to me.

Ok, he might have exagerated a bit but can just about believe he had quite a lot of dynamite.

And whilst we're on the subject I do not believe for one minute that the geezer from the Moments rang his bird nine times.

100% true cos nine times she had a busy line :(

Right - I'll get me coat. I'm off to see the Forest kick Charltons arse!

Now you are having a laugh :lol:

Social source share

What a complete crock!

:thumbsup:

:rolleyes:laugh.gif:D:ohmy::lol: :lol:

Social source share

Yers it did - paint stripper - don't touch it. :thumbsup:

Arrr but alcoholics do, cheap vino,chemical something masquerading as white cider, & meths to name a few. l reckon most of those can be brought for easily a dollar nine..........and before anyone gets smart, yes l do know white cider was'nt around way back then, but the chemicals were.

In any case l dont care, it's still a timeless classic,and the lyrics are based on fact not circumspect.

Social source share

I get way behind very quickly.

I thought the pound was very strong against the dollar. :thumbsup:

Skip Mahoney said he'd work "over time, under time, any time, all the time" just for one minute of Janice's time.

Don't believe him.

:rolleyes:

Err wasn't it to keep some fine rags on her back.

Sorry to be so picky Pete I wouldn't like to see the girl naked would you. biggrin.gif

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who really knows a guy that can get you any wine in any amount what-ever for a damn good price.... no questions asked.... Also.. a bloke down the pub told me in confidence that Mr Gil - Scott - Heron was a TEA TOTALER !!!!!!!!!! The whole song thing and the man himself is a sham... I'm with you.. this is just not 'on'..

Mr Angry. ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Err wasn't it to keep some fine rags on her back.

Sorry to be so picky Pete I wouldn't like to see the girl naked would you. :lol:

biggrin.gif

"If you give me one minute of your time I swear girl, I'll work overtime, undertime, anytime all the time"

"Yeah, I'll keep some fine rags on your back" :rolleyes:

I think it may be open to debate?

I might like to see the girl naked. :lol:

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

"If you give me one minute of your time I swear girl, I'll work overtime, undertime, anytime all the time"

"Yeah, I'll keep some fine rags on your back" :rolleyes:

laugh.gif Was gonna quote the word he sings after ''I feel like a wolf up in the hills'' but I couldn't spell it :lol:sad.gif

Social source share

OWhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Always liked this track - grea dancer!

Oh that sorts that then...I thought it was spelled....OWooooooooowwaaaarrrrR!! thumbup.gif

Social source share

And they may have made totally brilliant records but Ric Tic had the Fantastic Four bastard liars as well.

I bet they never got one room for $2 let alone another one,whether it had seen a broom or not!

And i bet they did give up looking for their baby.

Whats the world coming to when you can,t trust Soul Artists to sing to you truthfully?

Social source share

What a complete crock!

read the title and thought - oh no they cant slate him surely? :lol:laugh.gif:lol: fookin ace!

Social source share

Last year whilst on a short break to Benidorm, we picked up some bottles of Red Wine for 1 euro a bottle in back street 'open all hours' type shop.

They were used as raffle prizes for the junior football team on Sundays.

Lord knows what it tasted like, but I reckon it come from the same batch as GSH talked about.

Narbay.

Ed

Social source share

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who really knows a guy that can get you any wine in any amount what-ever for a damn good price.... no questions asked.... Also.. a bloke down the pub told me in confidence that Mr Gil - Scott - Heron was a TEA TOTALER !!!!!!!!!! The whole song thing and the man himself is a sham... I'm with you.. this is just not 'on'..

Mr Angry. :shades:

Do you know where the term T-Total comes from?

Go on, it's worth it.

Social source share

HI ALL, not been on here in a while...what with the holls and getting myself one of those new type, VESPA..GTS, Scooters...Been busy..ha..just like being born again... anyway gill scott, is a top man in my book, like + got most of is stuff..... Not that many jazz, soul, poets out there..... cu all on the Darkside . (ha)...martyn

Social source share

HI ALL, not been on here in a while...what with the holls and getting myself one of those new type, VESPA..GTS, Scooters...Been busy..ha..just like being born again... anyway gill scott, is a top man in my book, like + got most of is stuff..... Not that many jazz, soul, poets out there..... cu all on the Darkside . (ha)...martyn

And precisely how does that fit in with this thread?

:no:

Social source share

And whilst on the GSH thread, His father was one of the First, professional Black footballers

in The UK. Nicknamed "The Black Arrow" He played for Celtic in the 1950's!

Andy.

Social source share

Sublime poet in my opinion, so I can take his fibs on board. Winter In America is stunning.

Yes but why do a Winter In America, it's a lot cheaper to get an apartment in Benadorm and it's warmer.

And another thing; that Womack fella can't count or ain't much good at figgering out problems, there's only two sides of a person, the rightside and the backside. Plus, how many sides does a coin have - three.........

I like this thread, wish I'd seen it earlier biggrin.gif

Social source share

And whilst on the GSH thread, His father was one of the First, professional Black footballersin The [/color]UK. Nicknamed "The Black Arrow" He played for Celtic in the 1950's!

Andy.

Quite correct , Mr Simpson ......

Gilbert St. Elmo ' Gil ' Heron was the first black player to play for Celtic .........

A centre forward , Heron was born in Kingston , Jamaica in 1922 , and moved to Canada as a youth and was later enlisted in the Canadian Air Force , where his footballing talent first shone . After leaving the CAF , he signed for American club Detroit Corinthians , and was spotted by a scout from Celtic , while Celtic were on a North American tour . He was later signed up by the Scottish club in 1949 . Heron went on to score on his debut , but only played three first - team matches in all . He was released by the club the next year and joined Third Lanark , and then for the English club Kidderminster Harriers , before moving back to the U.S. to play for Detroit Corinthians .........

Before his move to the UK , Gil Heron had been the top goalscorer in the 1946 season of the North American Professional Soccer League , playing for the Detroit Wolverines ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!