Renaldo Domino Interview

boba

Hi. Today on my radio show I did an interesting interview with Chicago recording artist Renaldo Domino (aka Renaldo Jones). Renaldo started recording while he was still attending Calumet High School on the south side of Chicago. His first recording -- "I'm hip to your game" / "I love my girl" was recorded in a tiny, low-budget studio and pressed in small quantity on the Arnell record label. Renaldo and his manager William Sandy Johnson were able to use the record to get a recording contract with Mercury records.

Domino released two records on Mercury's Smash subsidiary -- "I'm getting nearer to your love" and a redone version of "I'm hip to your game". Both records got radio play in Chicago and Domino began to tour around the midwest with his band the Dots. Domino's final Mercury single, "Just say the word", was his biggest hit on the label. Due to lack of promotion, Domino left Mercury and signed to Chicago's Twinight label. He released three singles on the label, all produced by Richard Pegue. "Not too cool to cry" and "Let me come within" received local radio play but the final single, "You need to be loved on" had little promotion and Domino got a release from the label. After a few unsuccessful attempts to secure a record deal on other Chicago labels, Domino left music to pursue his career.

You can check out the interview at:

https://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

thanks,

Bob

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi. Today on my radio show I did an interesting interview with Chicago recording artist Renaldo Domino (aka Renaldo Jones). Renaldo started recording while he was still attending Calumet High School on the south side of Chicago. His first recording -- "I'm hip to your game" / "I love my girl" was recorded in a tiny, low-budget studio and pressed in small quantity on the Arnell record label. Renaldo and his manager William Sandy Johnson were able to use the record to get a recording contract with Mercury records.

Domino released two records on Mercury's Smash subsidiary -- "I'm getting nearer to your love" and a redone version of "I'm hip to your game". Both records got radio play in Chicago and Domino began to tour around the midwest with his band the Dots. Domino's final Mercury single, "Just say the word", was his biggest hit on the label. Due to lack of promotion, Domino left Mercury and signed to Chicago's Twinight label. He released three singles on the label, all produced by Richard Pegue. "Not too cool to cry" and "Let me come within" received local radio play but the final single, "You need to be loved on" had little promotion and Domino got a release from the label. After a few unsuccessful attempts to secure a record deal on other Chicago labels, Domino left music to pursue his career.

You can check out the interview at:

Fantastic !!! I tracked down a copy of "dont go away" on "Blue Rock"after hearing Baz Atkinson post it up here last year !

A Fantastic 45 that must have its day on UK Soul dancefloors IMO !

Mossy

(Top one BOBA!!) :D

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Great stuff, Bob...

The flip to the Smash 45 "You Don't Love Me No More" was always a fave back in 72/73 here... and I've raved over "Say The Word" since picking it up, only about 12 years ago.

Will check out the interview tomorrow.

:D

Sean

Thanks everyone for the feedback. If you've never heard the flip of the ultra-rare arnell 45, it's northern too.

Social source share

renaldo domino

renaldo domino

renaldo domino - dont go away

blue rock

Posted info:

Thanks to Baz for putting me on to this great tune - tucked away into the box !!!!

A great record and a brilliant interview !

Cheers Bob !

Social source share

Thanks everyone for the feedback. If you've never heard the flip of the ultra-rare arnell 45, it's northern too.

Any more un released tracks by this most obscure singer ? That 2 days track has somthing nice going on too IMO!

Social source share

Any more un released tracks by this most obscure singer ? That 2 days track has somthing nice going on too IMO!

numero group pressed the 4 years 2 days cut along with another unreleased cut on a 45, you can buy it. I will post the arnell northern side when I get a chance.

Social source share

numero group pressed the 4 years 2 days cut along with another unreleased cut on a 45, you can buy it. I will post the arnell northern side when I get a chance.

:D I knew you were up to somthing good ! Can I have a copy of 4 years ? It will sound even better really loud !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!