Harrogatesoul

• Replies 295
  • Views 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Now you are trying to be too clever Paul , I will need to check my copy but think it does play at 45 even if it's on a 12" tongue.gif

The better question to ask is was this actually "issued" on vinyl? Or was it promo only :shades:

The rules are the rules, Steve. If I find out it was a 33 it will have to be removed from the list with immediate effect.

And the man who suggested it shall be banned from this forum.

And not just him, but also his children and his children's children ...for two whole weeks.

wink.gif

Social source share

I don't think I saw anyone mention:

Little Ann "Who Are You Trying to Fool" on Kent. The b-side "What Should I Do" is great too but I actually don't know if it's previously unreleased like "Who Are You Trying....".

Social source share

Don't worry it's 45 rpm

Thanks Steve, I'm happy to take your word for that. sad.gif:D:(

But are you sure it didn't sound a bit fast? :shades:rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Oh well...

No need for disciplinary action in this particular case. :(:(:(

Social source share

does george clinton fit in here as 1st one or was it an album track ,i really dont know

Hello

I think that was just a contemporary release which had a dated feel.

Paul

Social source share

Here's one ....

For the first time ever on a fully legit vinyl 45 - Gary The Master Blaster - Cafe Regio's / Inst - Soul Intention Records SI001

To be released on October 13th 2008. Pre-order online at https://www.soul-intention.co.uk

Cheers

Phil

And just how much have you paid Parkway for the use of the label design g.gif ....

SI-001A%20.gif

If it's anything like your integrity with the Four Vandals release then it's absolutely zero.... but then again dissapearing for a bit and then returning to proclaim to be "born again" with christianity gets you off everytime doesn't it :shades: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Here's one ....

For the first time ever on a fully legit vinyl 45 - Gary The Master Blaster - Cafe Regio's / Inst - Soul Intention Records SI001

Although it's the first 7" vinyl release for the tune, I don't see how it fits into this thread. :thumbsup: This isn't an unissued tune, it was issued as a brand new recording on the "Didn't Say A Word" CD/LP on Goldmine back in 2000. Otherwise we could start naming any old CD/LP track that has been issued on 7" during the past couple of years (Richard Stepp, Darrell Nulisch etc.) and I don't think that's the point of this thread.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Here's one ....

To be released on October 13th 2008. Pre-order online at https://www.soul-intention.co.uk

Cheers

Phil

Presumably 75% of writers royalties will be paid to the estate of Isaac Hayes, with the remaining 25% to Gary The Master blaster?

Social source share

Presumably 75% of writers royalties will be paid to the estate of Isaac Hayes, with the remaining 25% to Gary The Master blaster?

No. 100% to Isaac Hayes estate (I hope). The copyright in the Cafe Regio's tune resides with Universal Music Publishing, who will be paid via MCPS a %age of every copy pressed (whether sold or not)

Phil

Social source share

Eddie Holman - Hold Me In Your Arms (Grapevine)

Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You (Kent)

Al Williams - Try Them (Grapevine)

Rozetta Johnson - You Better Keep What You Got (Shotgun)

Jimmy Ruffin - We Finally Found Out (Soul Junction)

Dottie Pearson - A House Made Of Love / Bring It Over Baby (Grapevine)

Sam Dees - Fool Of The Year (Shotgun)

Gloria Shannon - Tears Are Gifts From Heaven (Realside)

Detroit Magnificents - Is This A Woman's Way? (Grapevine)

Bobby Cutchins - Leaving (Soul Junction)

The Servicemen - I'll Stop Loving You (Grapevine)

Johnnie Taylor - Please Let Me In (Kent) ?

Jerry Williams - When You Move, You Lose (Grapevine)

Timmy Willis - Such Misery (Joe Boy)

Johnny Moore - Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow (Grapevine)

good list just got Gloria Shannon and its superb as is the Sam dees side gonna check out some of these Grapevine releases also!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

And just how much have you paid Parkway for the use of the label design :thumbup: ....

If it's anything like your integrity with the Four Vandals release then it's absolutely zero.... but then again dissapearing for a bit and then returning to proclaim to be "born again" with christianity gets you off everytime doesn't it :thumbsup: ....

Sorry for the delay in answering. Only just got back online.

I don't know what point you're trying to make, but resorting to making fun of me because of my faith is a little low, don't you think?

The label is very reminiscent of Parkway, yes.

The answer to your questions is utterly simple. This is 100% legal in every single way, everything is fully licensed. EVERYONE is getting paid, right down to Isaac Hayes estate (via MCPS).

Phil

Social source share

Sorry for the delay in answering. Only just got back online.

I don't know what point you're trying to make, but resorting to making fun of me because of my faith is a little low, don't you think?

The label is very reminiscent of Parkway, yes.

The answer to your questions is utterly simple. This is 100% legal in every single way, everything is fully licensed. EVERYONE is getting paid, right down to Isaac Hayes estate (via MCPS).

Phil

Think the point Phil is that the label is a copy of the Parkway design used in the 60s - no doubt designed to make it more attarctive. Do Universal own that too? Label artist royalties is the issue I guess.

Social source share

Think the point Phil is that the label is a copy of the Parkway design used in the 60s - no doubt designed to make it more attarctive. Do Universal own that too? Label artist royalties is the issue I guess.

Hi Steve,

I don't see why this should cause people problems.

We have researched this fully and taken professional advice, and our use of the design is perfectly legal. The label design (unlike the logo) is fully unencumbered, and we hope to (after a fair period of use) be able to trademark it's use ourselves.

There is no such thing label artist royalties. If there were we would have paid them. But there isn't.

Just like when I was involved with the reactivated Soul City some 10 years ago, We used not onl;y the label design, but also the logo. There were no label artist royalties to pay. As a courtesy we infomed Dave Godin what we were doing and got his blessing.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Hi Steve,

I don't see why this should cause people problems.

We have researched this fully and taken professional advice, and our use of the design is perfectly legal. The label design (unlike the logo) is fully unencumbered, and we hope to (after a fair period of use) be able to trademark it's use ourselves.

There is no such thing label artist royalties. If there were we would have paid them. But there isn't.

Just like when I was involved with the reactivated Soul City some 10 years ago, We used not onl;y the label design, but also the logo. There were no label artist royalties to pay. As a courtesy we infomed Dave Godin what we were doing and got his blessing.

Cheers

Phil

Parkway is of course owned by the highly litiginous Alan Klein so in a way it would be better for you if it didn't do TOO well or you might arouse the slumbering beast!

Dave Godin's recollection of the Soul City deal to me and a few others was far from giving his blessing I'm afraid.

Ady

Social source share

Parkway is of course owned by the highly litiginous Alan Klein so in a way it would be better for you if it didn't do TOO well or you might arouse the slumbering beast!

Dave Godin's recollection of the Soul City deal to me and a few others was far from giving his blessing I'm afraid.

Ady

Alan Klein is in a slumber from which he could never be roused. But even if he were then there is nothing for him to be litigious with us about. None of his trademarks, copyrights etc have been infringed in any way shape or form.

As for Dave Godin and Soul City. Well, when I was involved which was with only the first 10 releases, for which we had his full blessing.

For those who remember when we launched the label at the Fleetwood weekender Dave actually sat on our tabel and signed records for people.

So if he had any problem with it he certainly never mentioned it to me.

Phil

Social source share

Little Ann "Who Are You Trying to Fool" on Kent. The b-side "What Should I Do" is great too but I actually don't know if it's previously unreleased like "Who Are You Trying....".

What Should I Do was first on vinyl on a Kent 45 with the brilliant OC Tolbert I'm Shooting High on the flip. WAYTTF also came out first with a different Little Ann B side, the copy you have that is still available is a recent reissue as the originals were sold out and deleted. Two brilliant sides though.

Social source share

Alan Klein is in a slumber from which he could never be roused. But even if he were then there is nothing for him to be litigious with us about. None of his trademarks, copyrights etc have been infringed in any way shape or form.

As for Dave Godin and Soul City. Well, when I was involved which was with only the first 10 releases, for which we had his full blessing.

For those who remember when we launched the label at the Fleetwood weekender Dave actually sat on our tabel and signed records for people.

So if he had any problem with it he certainly never mentioned it to me.

Phil

He wasn't very happy when he found out about your licensing procedures was what he told me and others.

Social source share

He wasn't very happy when he found out about your licensing procedures was what he told me and others.

When you say "my licensing procedures" what particularly are you referring to?

For every track that I was personally involved with licensing, I still have copies of the signed contracts. Each license holder was paid an advance (in a couple of cases over $1000.00).

The records (I can only speak for the first 10 releases, because after that my involvement ceased) were limited edition releases of only 500 copies, MCPS were also paid.

Phil

Social source share

When you say "my licensing procedures" what particularly are you referring to?

For every track that I was personally involved with licensing, I still have copies of the signed contracts. Each license holder was paid an advance (in a couple of cases over $1000.00).

The records (I can only speak for the first 10 releases, because after that my involvement ceased) were limited edition releases of only 500 copies, MCPS were also paid.

Phil

Perhaps it was the later ones then?

Social source share

It must have been. I cannot speak for any beyond the ones I had involvement with.

As I said, I was only involved in the first 10 and they were all licensed and paid for. I remember us wiring $$$ very urgently to Eddie Singleton (obviously for the Shrine releases) who was in Sun City at the time :thumbsup:

We got Dave's blessing to use the label name and design (he was even credited on the label).

There have been many releases after those first 10, and the project lost its way for me after those. The vision was for high-quality, limited edition fully legal 7" vinyl releases, not for (as it became) a general reissue label with loads of releases.

Phil

Social source share

Does anyone have an answer as to if the Stardust releases are legit? I've heard conflicting accounts.? ?

Inspriations on Benn-X re-press anyone? Was that just a Butch acetate at first? Also, how about Spencer Wiggins - Let's Talk It Over' Legit? Unissued I think before appearing on Jap CD only?

Rich

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

Does anyone have an answer as to if the Stardust releases are legit? I've heard conflicting accounts.? ?

Inspriations on Benn-X re-press anyone? Was that just a Butch acetate at first? Also, how about Spencer Wiggins - Let's Talk It Over' Legit? Unissued I think before appearing on Jap CD only?

Rich

The Inspirations was two or three Mercury acetates, different takes, Butch and Tim B have one.

Social source share

Rich

Good points Rich always wondered about the soul series logoand stardust boud to be plenty of knowledge on here to clarify?

BAZ A :rolleyes:

Social source share

:rolleyes: I can imagine Baz swerving traffic and flicking V signs in the pursuit of soul.....

Bobby Cutchins ' Leaving' was previously mentioned - A few bits also issued from same source -

Sone Of Robin Stone - I'm Ready To Give Up My Love / It Only Happens In The Movies

Royal Five - Nobody Else / Don't Stop

Stella & Gazelles - I'm Not In Love With You Anymore / Topics - Nicer Girl

Think all the above are/were unissued recordings - Was the Charles Mintz an alt. take?

Rich

Social source share

Loretta Kendrick eventually became lead singer of the Naturelles who recorded on Clarence Paul/William Stevenson's Venture label.'My feelings keep getting in the way' was written by Don Mancha and the strings were arranged by Marvin Gaye. The male voice on the song is Clarence Paul.It was never released until the Hayley single ( HR004)

The Just Brothers 'Honey' was the original 'A' side of 'Sliced tomatoes' but was never released. The master tape has been lost. The only copy was a battered acetate which was miraculously transcribed onto the Hayley single (HR003)

Other previously unreleased songs issued on Hayley;

Lyn Varnado 'Ain't that something'

Charles Brimmer 'Show and tell'

Dathan Jones 'Contract on love'

Forthcoming singles featuring previously unreleased material;

Karen Pree 'Can't help loving (the one who's loving me)'/'You've gotten to me'

Clarence Jackson 'I miss you'/ 'Me and my lady'

Social source share

Loretta Kendrick eventually became lead singer of the Naturelles who recorded on Clarence Paul/William Stevenson's Venture label.'My feelings keep getting in the way' was written by Don Mancha and the strings were arranged by Marvin Gaye. The male voice on the song is Clarence Paul.It was never released until the Hayley single ( HR004)

The Just Brothers 'Honey' was the original 'A' side of 'Sliced tomatoes' but was never released. The master tape has been lost. The only copy was a battered acetate which was miraculously transcribed onto the Hayley single (HR003)

Any link to follow so I can check out some of these sides?

BAZ A :ohmy:

Social source share

It does seem that ownership of Soul City changed at some point. In fact, there became a point when nobody would admit to owning the label!

I was amazed when one of the owners tried to deny to me that he had any involvement, even though his name and address had appeared on mechanical license applications submitted by Soul City to MCPS.

It's in the past now but I have no doubt that at least some of the later Soul City 45s were unauthorised reproductions.

And the saddest part is that a once legitimate and historic label was tainted by the affair.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Here you go Baz - CLICK HERE

Cheers Steve for the info on Spencer Wiggins too.

Rich

Social source share

Hello Baz , go to www.hayleyrecords.co.uk to listen to clips .The Loretta Kendrick and Karen Pree " You've gotten to me " are in my all time top 20 ever , that good !! The best of Hayley CD is well worth getting as all these are on it .Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

I did on the last page!!!

Tony Coleby

Social source share

Here's another to add to the list. One of my favourites...

Hoagy Lands - True Love At Last (UK American USA 13)

It sounds like it was cut around 1964 but it didn't surface until it appeared as the flip side of the UK issue of "Friends And Lovers Don't Go Together" in the mid 1970s. Very few people picked up on it at the time.

Paul

Social source share

Rich

Stardust are dubious as hell, meant to be canadian reissues but I'd be surprised if the majors would license such small run singles.

Spencer Wiggins are boots, even its first appearance on the Jap CD is technically a boot, it was a Fame recorded tape that should never have come out through Goldwax.

Social source share

Rich

Hello Rich,

I know for certain that some specific stardust 45s are unauthorised and I also haven't yet found any trace of mechanical licenses being obtained in any country.

They all look questionable to me.

But, even more interesting, who the hell buys them???

Paul

Social source share

It does seem that ownership of Soul City changed at some point. In fact, there became a point when nobody would admit to owning the label!

I was amazed when one of the owners tried to deny to me that he had any involvement, even though his name and address had appeared on mechanical license applications submitted by Soul City to MCPS.

It's in the past now but I have no doubt that at least some of the later Soul City 45s were unauthorised reproductions.

And the saddest part is that a once legitimate and historic label was tainted by the affair.

Paul Mooney

It is. As I said, I was involved for the first 10 releases (up to SC131 I think). All was legit up to then. Beyond that I can't say.

Phil

Social source share

It is. As I said, I was involved for the first 10 releases (up to SC131 I think). All was legit up to then. Beyond that I can't say.

Phil

Hello Phil,

I accept there was a change of ownership and also a change of attitude towards licensing.

But, sadly, the whole label became tainted by later activities and, even more sadly, the label used the name and design of what had been a respected legitimate operation.

I remember seeing some Soul City 45s offered for sale at £1 each. That in itself set some alarm bells ringing and must also have annoyed anyone who had already paid £10 or whatever per copy.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

, even though his name and address had appeared on mechanical license applications submitted by Soul City to MCPS.

Could you explain in simple terms how this (NCPS) works please? Say, you have a record / acetate / studio tape of a song, but can't locate the owners of the track (through BMI ASCAP???), do you just pay something into a central kitty? Then, if the owners come forward they can draw on it?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!