Underated Dj`s

Harry Crosby

• Replies 159
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Des Parker, one of the very best and not heard enough, Wayne Hudson, awesome collection, Phil Threlfall and John Parker, both brilliant at Holmes Chapel, Alan Paterson without a doubt and that'll do for now, I'll get back to you with more :yes:

David

Des Parker, one of my resident Dj's and IMo one of the best in the Country.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Must say Richard Bergman is looking a new man judging by the Avatar! How much did that cost mate? :yes:

:D

The arduous journey has been chronicled by channel 4 and will be broadcast early next spring.

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

I hate the fact that anyone with a handful of records is a DJ on this scene...I like to think along the lines of that old female adage

It's not what you've got...it's what you do with it that counts

:D:yes:

Sorry Beeks , another one of your infamous statements again (got quite used to them now) but you will find that a huge portion of the names mentioned have more than just a handfull of records.

In the past few months the East Midlands has taken a right good thrashing and maybe rightly so , but on the other hand there is a number of DJ's who more than fill the requirements of a good DJ .

MARK HOPES - BENTINCK you wanna hear it he's got it somewhere

CRESSY - BENTINCK again keeps well upto date with choons

MARK JOHNSON one of the best around

MARK STEADMAN if he did djing on a regular basis he would be booked up all year

THE ATTIC GIRLS don't count now they are TV and Radio stars tongue.gif

Edited by MAK
Social source share

I'd like to see some young up & coming djs, remember in the olden days when NS djs used to have hair, their own teeth & everything...

Simon :yes:

Thought i was in then,but me teeth let me down :D it is my own tooth tho' huh.gif

Social source share

are we talking DJ'S or are we talking blokes who have a few tunes with nil pesonality..... :yes:

This is a very good point, paul,god ive seen some boring fookers over the years, then again was at a do many years ago a lad was djing recordwise nothing too special but what a fantastic dj turned the whole night round in one hour, the whole night became a complete success after that the attitude of the crowd changed, thats the type of person i`d want as a dj :D

Social source share

Sorry Beeks , another one of your infamous statements again (got quite used to them now) but you will find that a huge portion of the names mentioned have more than just a handfull of records.

In the past few months the East Midlands has taken a right good thrashing and maybe rightly so , but on the other hand there is a number of DJ's who more than fill the requirements of a good DJ .

MARK HOPES - BENTINCK you wanna hear it he's got it somewhere

CRESSY - BENTINCK again keeps well upto date with choons

MARK JOHNSON one of the best around

MARK STEADMAN if he did djing on a regular basis he would be booked up all year

THE ATTIC GIRLS don't count now they are TV and Radio stars :thumbsup:

Infamous statement?!?

It was a general statement aimed at noone in particular relating to the amount of so called DJs on this scene...i've been DJing since I was 16...im now 35...I know a set of decks inside out...going back to another thread...someone mentioned that its not about the records you own its about taste...and I couldn't agree more...if thats an infamous statement then shoot me...DJing isnt just about possessing good records...it's constructively putting them together to make a great set that the punters will enjoy...with the right records it's all well and good having every rare record under the sun...but playing them one after the other with no idea of the feel of the dancefloor is the wrong way to go about it and I think you can get alot of that 'Showing Off' factor...it even happens on here...alot of peacock displays...and before you make some sweeping statement about another infamous statement ive made...the majority of you might be able to tell me about soul music...but don't tell me about DJing...as far as that is concerned im a veteran

Cheers

The Infamous(Apparently) Beeks

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Now you're steping into the terrirtory of some of the countries best rather than those breaking through... :unsure:

Agree with you though and all got rave reviews when they DJ'd at Bury ( to the point that Pete and Dolly are back for our final night next month!)

:thumbup:

And very much looking forward to it .... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Infamous statement?!?

It was a general statement aimed at noone in particular relating to the amount of so called DJs on this scene...i've been DJing since I was 16...im now 35...I know a set of decks inside out...going back to another thread...someone mentioned that its not about the records you own its about taste...and I couldn't agree more...if thats an infamous statement then shoot me...DJing isnt just about possessing good records...it's constructively putting them together to make a great set that the punters will enjoy...with the right records it's all well and good having every rare record under the sun...but playing them one after the other with no idea of the feel of the dancefloor is the wrong way to go about it and I think you can get alot of that 'Showing Off' factor...it even happens on here...alot of peacock displays...and before you make some sweeping statement about another infamous statement ive made...the majority of you might be able to tell me about soul music...but don't tell me about DJing...as far as that is concerned im a veteran

Cheers

The Infamous(Apparently) Beeks

i wish somebody would

Social source share

i wish somebody would

Not you again...just leave it mate...I can't be arsed arguing with people over the internet...i've come to realise its...well...a little sad...and to be quite frank i've got better things to do with my time...everyone has their own opinions...lets just leave it at that :thumbsup:

Social source share

This is a very good point, paul,god ive seen some boring fookers over the years, then again was at a do many years ago a lad was djing recordwise nothing too special but what a fantastic dj turned the whole night round in one hour, the whole night became a complete success after that the attitude of the crowd changed, thats the type of person i`d want as a dj :lol:

That sounds just like me Harry -Average records but Im Fooking mad as a hatter! :thumbsup:laugh.gif

Just ask the Gasher

Social source share

Not you again...just leave it mate...I can't be arsed arguing with people over the internet...i've come to realise its...well...a little sad...and to be quite frank i've got better things to do with my time...everyone has their own opinions...lets just leave it at that :thumbsup:

Beeks me old china, i think people may warm to you a little more if you didn't continually big yourself up & put others down, i mean look what you've written "it even happens on here...alot of peacock displays...and before you make some sweeping statement about another infamous statement ive made...the majority of you might be able to tell me about soul music...but don't tell me about DJing...as far as that is concerned im a veteran".

The above is just gonna pi*s people off, I'm trying to warm to you as i'm sure others are & give you the benefit of the doubt but you're really doing yourself no favours with the above.

Simon

Social source share

And very much looking forward to it .... thumbsup.gif

:thumbup: super!. See you soon Mrs J!. (can we call you that?) ph34r.gif

Sorry Toby - haven't pm'd details yet as requested, because they're still changing slightly, but I haven't forgotten. :thumbsup:

Shall be done before the day is through.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Beeks me old china, i think people may warm to you a little more if you didn't continually big yourself up & put others down, i mean look what you've written "it even happens on here...alot of peacock displays...and before you make some sweeping statement about another infamous statement ive made...the majority of you might be able to tell me about soul music...but don't tell me about DJing...as far as that is concerned im a veteran".

The above is just gonna pi*s people off, I'm trying to warm to you as i'm sure others are & give you the benefit of the doubt but you're really doing yourself no favours with the above.

Simon

but It's true about the peacock displays - i'm surprised I've not heard that said sooner.. ph34r.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

Simon

Simon come on...like im the only person who bigs themselves up on here?

And put people down? Hardly! Most people on here I get on with fine...it's just unfortunate that I have had a few run ins...but I see that as a clash of personalities and truth be known I hold no ill feeling towards anyone on here or for that matter in my private life.

If anything i'm rather understated compared to some of the egos on here...lets face it...there are some big ones...and I purely made the statement you have highlighted above to validate my point...and only that...this thread is about DJs...underrated ones who don't get enough airtime...I am commenting on it as a DJ with years under my belt...it is no more sinister than that...because believe it or not the problem of big DJs getting all the gigs and the upcoming new talent vieing for scraps spans alot of genres

I just find it an interesting subject...people assume that I look for trouble...to be perfectly honest i'd rather avoid it

Cheers

Beeks

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

I`m at present organising a allnighter in the north east of england fo next year and will be shortly putting together a list of dj`s for the event, along with the usual suspects for allnighters, i`m looking for someone who needs to break onto the nighter djing scene. would love to hear a few suggestions :thumbsup:

well done mate... at last there's someone out there who beleives in the 'scene' and wants to give people a chance... you get my vote. Gonna buy you a pint when I bump into you.... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

PMSL, Joan laugh.gif ........... thinking of designing a badge for those long-serving members of scene who look so underwhelmed at niters - a big soul fist bearing the legend Northern Soul - Not as good as it was in 1974 :thumbsup:

What assumption are we supposed to make from that remark - better? worse? - don't think the records played are better than 1974 - be so kind as to list 20 "top tunes" being played on todays scene. I will in turn list 20 records from 1974 to compare. No contest is it ?

Social source share

I certainly wouldn't call Andy Dyson underrated either.

I would say he is very highly rated. As is Kitch. yes.gif

I think these two are under-rated and definitely under-booked throughout the country as a whole. There are a couple of major allnighters where the deejay line-up is comprised of those with what I'd call 'nice' records, but they're hardly breaking their own new sounds: in fact at some of these venues the line-ups are interchangeable (each of the deejays could play each others' records and no-one would really notice).

Kitch and A. Dyson have always gone that bit further out of their way to try something different, and take musical risks. Their spots display individuality and they're not falling back on records popularised by others over the last decade, which seems to be the bread and butter of the approach at many venues.

That's why I singled them out.

Social source share

I think these two are under-rated and definitely under-booked throughout the country as a whole. There are a couple of major allnighters where the deejay line-up is comprised of those with what I'd call 'nice' records, but they're hardly breaking their own new sounds: in fact at some of these venues the line-ups are interchangeable (each of the deejays could play each others' records and no-one would really notice).

Kitch and A. Dyson have always gone that bit further out of their way to try something different, and take musical risks. Their spots display individuality and they're not falling back on records popularised by others over the last decade, which seems to be the bread and butter of the approach at many venues.

That's why I singled them out.

I wouldn't say under booked Gareth. I have seen Andy D DJ regurlarly, almost weekly at times.

Just because you don't see him DJ regularly, doesn't mean he isn't.

Social source share

Hi Joan

I take your point, but maybe it's a case of geography rather than frequency of booking. Before Lifeline relocated to Wolverhampton AD was seldom seen south of Manchester. Agreed he is getting more diverse bookings now, and so he should.

But you've got to agree that Kitch is under-utilised full stop?

Social source share

Hi Joan

I take your point, but maybe it's a case of geography rather than frequency of booking. Before Lifeline relocated to Wolverhampton AD was seldom seen south of Manchester. Agreed he is getting more diverse bookings now, and so he should.

But you've got to agree that Kitch is under-utilised full stop?

Can't argue with you on that one.

He seems to do more in Europe these days than he does in this country.

Seems they have no problem recognising quality when they hear it!

Social source share

Simon come on...like im the only person who bigs themselves up on here?

And put people down? Hardly! Most people on here I get on with fine...it's just unfortunate that I have had a few run ins...but I see that as a clash of personalities and truth be known I hold no ill feeling towards anyone on here or for that matter in my private life.

If anything i'm rather understated compared to some of the egos on here...lets face it...there are some big ones...and I purely made the statement you have highlighted above to validate my point...and only that...this thread is about DJs...underrated ones who don't get enough airtime...I am commenting on it as a DJ with years under my belt...it is no more sinister than that...because believe it or not the problem of big DJs getting all the gigs and the upcoming new talent vieing for scraps spans alot of genres

I just find it an interesting subject...people assume that I look for trouble...to be perfectly honest i'd rather avoid it

Cheers

Beeks

Fair dos Beeks but just because others may big themselves up doesn't mean you have to lower yourself to the same standards, just think you could maybe use a little more humility sometimes, maybe it's because you feel you're defending yourself that you come across as aggressive.

Simon

Social source share

Seems they have no problem recognising quality when they hear it!

Absolutely, Kitch lives in Nottingham but how many bookings within the East Mids does he get? Unreal given that he's been pushing quality soul music for 20 years or more now.

Definitely under utilised as a DJ.

Social source share

Absolutely, Kitch lives in Nottingham but how many bookings within the East Mids does he get? Unreal given that he's been pushing quality soul music for 20 years or more now.

Definitely under utilised as a DJ.

that's going to be put right soon,all being well thumbsup.gif .

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Gonna look like a South Coast conspiracy but needs to be said..........DAVE ABBOT.........unassuming, c/u's, rarities, knowledgeable and fortunately he's easing out of that wishy washy mentality (taken me a while), thanks to the likes of Burnley tongue.gif ....plus we have somewhere to stay up there too Harry although Carole doesn't know it yet!!!!! ph34r.gif

Social source share

Another thread just going off on one now...

Under rated and underplayed was what i think this started out as.. Plus its for djs for a North East all niter only..

We have dj talked about on this thread who play every fooking week, how can they be underated or not heard...

Plus we have the guys who have been established over many many moons :lol:...

Then we have the folk who nominate themself :lol: ...

I think this thread is dead now Harry :lol: .. Kill it..

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share