Pete S

• Replies 7
  • Views 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Yes Pete I had one of these9Alternate label) in the 70s when I collected the compass label - One of the Johnny Castor ones had the same design. I was so obsessed with the label I found someone who who had worked for them.

If I remember right the person said I it was a case of the label printers made a mistake but Compass still used them. it was really great at the time because I told the guy I was researching the label and he sent me a Helen Ferguson test press and a copy of the authorisation letter to London records to release in UK.

As I said at the time I was mad on the label and had to have every release of any kind including Corby & the Champagne.Kev Roberts knew I was colllecting the label and would turn up at The Mecca with ones I had missing. Most of the big ones I got in issue & demo form off him. Picked up the others at global or John Anderson and a record shop in bridge st manchester.

The guy also told me that he had been responsible in setting up the deal with Trip for the Ohio players LPs

I am sure some of the guys who witnessed me selling my collection off at Wigan were amused to see a large box with issues and demos of the compass label catalogue - Nobody knew that Corby & the champagne were a pop band from Newcastle- Whoever bought it must have thought Iwas selling a soul record becasue it was next to James bounty & the Adventurers laugh.gif It was released in UK on Pye but I never got a copy until 3 years ago.

I even had "Aint no soul" on German Pye

Still think I have one and will look at the licence note on it

Just had a thought Pete - saw one of the Kenny Bernards on the unusual Compass label in That beatin rythem about 2 years ago. Might still be there

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert