Home Grown "soul" Talent

Ola Onabule, Swing Out Sister,Omar,Kenny Thomas, Mica Paris, Shaun Escoffery, Loose Ends, Drizabone, Dusty Springfield..............just as few BRILLIANT soul artists from the UK, don't seem to get a mention shhh.gif I think they deserve more exposure.................what do you think, and have I missed anybody?

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Ola Onabule, Swing Out Sister,Omar,Kenny Thomas, Mica Paris, Shaun Escoffery, Loose Ends, Drizabone, Dusty Springfield..............just as few BRILLIANT soul artists from the UK, don't seem to get a mention  wink.gif   I think they deserve more exposure.................what do you think, and have I missed anybody?

shhh.gif

link

Chris Ballin

looking forward to seeing him at the Bass Museum summer ball thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Ola Onabule, Swing Out Sister,Omar,Kenny Thomas, Mica Paris, Shaun Escoffery, Loose Ends, Drizabone, Dusty Springfield..............just as few BRILLIANT soul artists from the UK, don't seem to get a mention  shhh.gif   I think they deserve more exposure.................what do you think, and have I missed anybody?

thumbsup.gif

link

Moon williams.Ken

Social source share

I hate anybody from Europe , infact anyone who wasn't born in Detriot who lays claim to being a soul singer...........hell the next thing these UK soul people will be on Gold soul records.... thumbsup.gifshhh.gifwink.gif

footnote..just joking, but some folks on here are a little up their own arse when it comes to differentials.....

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Hi Frankie just teasing mate :rolleyes: , there are some brilliant home grown soul artists, aswell as European, good god wish i could string a tune together. :thumbsup:

Brett

Social source share

Guest rachel

Alice Russell.

Can't think of anybody in Britain who can compare at present.

Godz

link

Oh yeah, great voice, not heard a lot of her stuff but like what I have heard :rolleyes:

Social source share

How about the lovely Lynden David Hall?

link

Lovely, gorgeous springs to mind :thumbsup: and talented of course, I particularly like Do I Qualify :rolleyes:

Social source share

I thought she was from the US :rolleyes:

link

Carlene Anderson is the daughter of someone very famous,for the life of me I can't remember who.Maybe Donald Byrd???????

The Dodger will know

C'mon Rog who's her old man?

I think she is uk based,she released a lot of stuff late 80's/early 90's

Pete

Social source share

Carlene Anderson is the daughter of someone very famous,for the life of me I can't remember who.Maybe Donald Byrd???????

The Dodger will know

C'mon Rog who's her old man?

I think she is uk based,she released a lot of stuff late 80's/early 90's

Pete

link

Hi Pete

Carleen Anderson is the daughter of Vicki Anderson and Bobby Byrd she also has a sister Jhelisa who has been known to sing rather nicely too.

Derek

Social source share

Rick Astley. swoon.gif

link

WHO :rolleyes: if my memory serves me right did'nt he get a lot of exposure just like J.Stone does today :hypo:

Heres a band who were British and are still going today "THE REAL THING" any fans out there :thumbsup:

:)

Social source share

WHO :thumbsup: if my memory serves me right did'nt he get a lot of exposure just like J.Stone does today :)

Heres a band who were British and are still going today "THE REAL THING" any fans out there :huh:

swoon.gif

link

Err so when is INCOGNITO gonna get a mention then? :rolleyes: Oops they just have. :hypo:

Derek

Social source share

Err so when is INCOGNITO gonna get a mention then? :rolleyes:   Oops they just have. :)

Derek

link

Glad you mention them, superb soul group :thumbsup:

Anyone heard of Gina Foster, she is a backing singer with S'O'Sister

smile.gif

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Err so when is INCOGNITO gonna get a mention then? :rolleyes:   Oops they just have. :)

Derek

link

Anyone who mentions INCOGNITO is still a friend of mine, oh still a friend of mine :thumbsup:

Jamie smile.gif

Social source share

Alice Russell.

Can't think of anybody in Britain who can compare at present.

Godz

link

Short clip below.

https://www.tru-thoughts.co.uk/clips/Alice%...t%20Calling.mp3

I think that this is on Alice's solo LP as well the Quantic album "Apricot Morning"

For the more adventurous Quantic is well worh checking out. His albums are a mix of soul, funk, latin, Jazz, dub and downtempo electronica. As well as Alice Russel he also uses the incredible Spanky Wilson as a guest vocalist (but she's American so not counted in this topic :rolleyes: )

More info on Alice here:

https://www.tru-thoughts.co.uk/?page=record...ease.html&id=95

You really need to see her live though. Last time I saw her with Quantic Soul Orchestra she had an audience that ranged in age from about 15 to 60 in the palm of her hand. Joss Stone doesn't hold a candle.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Short clip below.

I think that this is on Alice's solo LP as well the Quantic album "Apricot Morning"

For the more adventurous Quantic is well worh checking out. His albums are a mix of soul, funk, latin, Jazz, dub and downtempo electronica. As well as Alice Russel he also uses the incredible Spanky Wilson as a guest vocalist (but she's American so not counted in this topic :rolleyes: )

More info on Alice here:

You really need to see her live though. Last time I saw her with Quantic Soul Orchestra she had an audience that ranged in age from about 15 to 60 in the palm of her hand. Joss Stone doesn't hold a candle.

Godz

link

Make sure you check out the new BAH SAMBA album Alice features heavily on this and sounds better than ever . Really nice girl too lives in Brighton see her around town on occasion.

Derek

Social source share

Ola Onabule, Swing Out Sister,Omar,Kenny Thomas, Mica Paris, Shaun Escoffery, Loose Ends, Drizabone, Dusty Springfield..............just as few BRILLIANT soul artists from the UK, don't seem to get a mention :rolleyes: I think they deserve more exposure.................what do you think, and have I missed anybody?

Just a few Frankie :thumbsup:

Heatwave

The Real Thing

David Grant

Soul II Soul

Juliet Roberts

Victor Haynes

Beverley Knight (Not latest stuff tho...)

Beverlei Brown

Avani

Victor Haynes

Anthony Drakes

Shara Nelson

Urban Species

Massive Attack (early work)

Kreuz

Ray Hayden

Nu Colours

Act of Faith

Groove Nation

Don-E

Lemar

Average White Band

Lance Ellington

The Sunburst Band (aka Joey Negro aka Dave Lee)

Nina Provencal

Sinclair

Everis

Lisa Stansfield

Junior Giscombe

Julie Dexter

Caron Wheeler

Hil St. Soul

Truce

Kenny Lynch

Absolute

Applemountain

Chinablack

FM Inc

Funhill

Pure Pleasure

Pure Silk

Raw Stylus

The Pasadenas

Brand New Heavies

Watergates

The Cool Notes

What a wealth of talent we've got! :)

Social source share

oohh err I not saying anything 'til I've seen my lawyer  :thumbsup:

link

Well off the subject here!but did see documentry about Mary Millington,and one of her other stage names she used was Samantha Jones,are they one and the same?,just curious.

Social source share

Has anybody mentioned 'the white Sam Cooke', as the mainstream press christened him ? Paul Young ( :graywanker: )

No, I thought not :thumbsup:

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

Well off the subject here!but did see documentry about Mary Millington,and one of her other stage names she used was Samantha Jones,are they one and the same?,just curious.

link

Don't think so Ken,

Here's a pic of Samantha Jones. As for Mary Millington, funny thing is I can't remember her face really... :thumbsup:

post-1918-1113312665.jpg

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Has anybody mentioned 'the white Sam Cooke', as the mainstream press christened him ? Paul Young ( :graywanker: )

No, I thought not  :yes:

link

Paul Young, you are going back a long time he must be at least 50 years old :thumbsup:

always thought his vocals sounded strained and hoarse, is he still packing them in at the local bingo halls :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thats an impressive list  :ohmy:   some I've never heard of.....................you've given me some ideas now for requests :)

link

I am glad you mention The Pasadenas, just been playing the 12" version of Round & Round what a great tune :)

Social source share

Short clip below.

For the more adventurous Quantic is well worh checking out. His albums are a mix of soul, funk, latin, Jazz, dub and downtempo electronica. As well as Alice Russel he also uses the incredible Spanky Wilson as a guest vocalist (but she's American so not counted in this topic :thumbsup: )

More info on Alice here:

Godz

link

Talking about Quantic- Im djing at the Dublin alldayer in the modern rom this saturday and Ill be playing- Dont mess/joke with a hungry man featuring Spanky Wilson- To me its sheer class

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert