Earl Connelly..make Up Your Mind On Macon

Gasher

orange label 114 also orange 115 or is this the flip to 114?????

DONT LET ME GO & MAKE UP YOUR MIND

but

Pink label 119 has a And B side

the devil in you 119A & MAKE UP YOUR MIND 119B

and 120...dont know what colour label that is yet?

Tell Me Why / Please Make Up Your Mind

any more and why 3 releases??

which is rarest and any different versions or are they all the same

some tilted "make up your mind"

and some "Please make up your mind"..???

confused as to WHY

gasher

Edited by GASHER
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Modern Skip Tone

orange label 114 also orange 115 or is this the flip to 114?????

DONT LET ME GO & MAKE UP YOUR MIND

but

Pink label 119 has a And B side

the devil in you 119A & MAKE UP YOUR MIND 119B

and 120...dont know what colour label that is yet?

Tell Me Why / Please Make Up Your Mind

any more and why 3 releases??

which is rarest and any different versions or are they all the same

some tilted "make up your mind"

and some "Please make up your mind"..???

confused as to WHY

gasher

Hi Gasher - I am of the understanding the purple label is the rarest Maycon 114, but later a orange label copy was in circulation also on Maycon 114.

Another 3 copies Maycon 115, 119 and 121 are listed.

I own a orange and a red copy of the above and do believe 2 slightly different versions are available over the 5 listed above. But I am sure someone will have another take on this and prove us wrong or right. :) . And I see you mention Maycon 120 also making it five or even six at a push. And I now read Dave has a white label also but not a promo or w/d.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Any one have a sound clip, I still think this bloke is Earl Connelly King.

One is in the current sales section listed for sale by Maxxx, MP 3 if that helps for now, sir.

Cheers.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

not sure but isnt make up your mind and please make up your mind 2 different songs? may be wrong.

mark

Bloody yell....out load, its getting dafter :) LOL and dare I say the version in the sales sounds diffrent as well, but it is a little late for me and my ears.

I am sure help is at hand in some form of explanation.....soon.

Nick.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Bloody yell....out load, its getting dafter :) LOL and dare I say the version in the sales sounds diffrent as well, but it is a little late for me and my ears.

I am sure help is at hand in some form of explanation.....soon.

Nick.

And as if all that wasn't enough, I've also heard that this record had been bootlegged (on an almost identical facsimile label) at some stage. Is that correct?

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

And as if all that wasn't enough, I've also heard that this record had been bootlegged (on an almost identical facsimile label) at some stage. Is that correct?

Not to sure of any booties, but that would not be surprising, now would it Mel :) .

May be the folks at Maycon could not simply .......make up there own minds!!!!! poor old Earl Connelly or is it Mr Earl King.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Not to sure of any booties, but that would not be surprising, now would it Mel :) .

Well Earl Connelly got some spins at the Mecca, so it's possible. I'm not certain myself, however I wanted one and was warned off because I wouldn't know an original from a potential bootleg.

(I last heard it spun at Thorne some years ago...)

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Morning has broken and I have had a little hunt!!!!! Very tasty too.

I can confirm that the orange copy Maycon 114

a)make up your mind/b)dont let me go

And

the red copy Maycon 119

a)the devil in you/b)make up your mind

Both versions of make up your mind are the same and state release the year of 1976.

Are theses ligit now or what.

Matrix numbers have been applied by a alcoholic in not much control and I assume using one's finger nail.

Gasher, I cannot post up sound files so sorry.

Guess we will have to wait for the bigger boys to appear on the boards.

I do hope this does not create further confusion.

Nick.

Social source share

Guest Modern Skip Tone

Intresting stuff Guys !!

Never owned or even seen a white copy and upon a further scan of David's copy it has a later year date of 1977 and not pressed 1976 as the Maycon 114 and 119b.

Also another producers name appears on the white copy details, M Bailey, why?

Note both 114 and 119 are produced by Earl and Moe Connelly. Record time of both is 2.40 on 119 and 114.

Never seen a copy of the album entitled Alpha and Omega Maycon 0100.

Yours for now and signing off,

Miss Marple.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

quote name='Dave Moore' post='881218' date='Sep 27 08, 09:52 AM']Guys,

Here's mine. It's obviously the 120 issue and I've always believed it to be a promo. (I don't know why apart from it's white). Got me thinkin' now. Has anyone ever seen a coloured #120? Has anyone else got a 120? White or otherwise?

post-1369-1222505473_thumb.jpg post-1369-1222505512_thumb.jpg

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Here's mine. It's obviously the 120 issue and I've always believed it to be a promo. (I don't know why apart from it's white). Got me thinkin' now. Has anyone ever seen a coloured #120? Has anyone else got a 120? White or otherwise?

post-1369-1222505473_thumb.jpg post-1369-1222505512_thumb.jpg

Same as my copy Dave - never realised it was a demo ?

Social source share

• 3 years later...

I've got the 120/121 release on the white/green label, and it is a slightly slower, more x-over type cut than the 1976 114/115/119 Mecca spin, I actually prefer the later (1977) cut. According to Tim Brown's price guide, Maycon 115 came out twice, first purple, then orange label. I Personally think that all the releases are fantastic examples of the best of seventies northern.

Social source share

Earl Connelly was a native of Philly, Sadly he passed back in the 80's. It was written and produced with his wife Mae, who still lives at the same address. When I visited her she told me that she had thrown away all his stuff about 5 years before, as it was taking up to much space in the basement of their house, over 300 45's, master tapes, contacts etc. She told me that as no one had shown any interest in his music and none of their kids wanted it, it all went into a dumpster.

Mae said that back in the 70's he gigged around the city for a few years, but gave up as his career seemed to be going nowhere. In the last few years, she has received a few calls about his records and was glad some people still liked his stuff.

Sadly an all to often heard tale.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!