Info Please - Classics On Wide World

Phild

The Classics - Looking For A Love Of My Own / I'm Jimmy Mack - Wide World

Just got this through the door today, bought blind off ebay recently. Does anyone have info about it?

I'm Jimmy Mack has the same backing as Tommy Scott - Pain Reliever on (sister label) Wise World. Looking .... is a beautiful mid-tempo track.

Both sides produced by Eddie Silvers and has a typical Chicago production & arrangement.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Edited by phild
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The Classics - Looking For A Love Of My Own / I'm Jimmy Mack - Wide World

Just got this through the door today, bought blind off ebay recently. Does anyone have info about it?

I'm Jimmy Mack has the same backing as Tommy Scott - Pain Reliever on (sister label) Wise World. Looking .... is a beautiful mid-tempo track.

Both sides produced by Eddie Silvers and has a typical Chicago production & arrangement.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

I'm not sure what other info to give you, but this is the same group as on yan-g and they are from the south side of Chicago.

Social source share

I'm not sure what other info to give you, but this is the same group as on yan-g and they are from the south side of Chicago.

Thanks for the info Bob.

I thought so. was Yan-G one of Phil orsi's labels?

I haven't come across this before, and i've been to Chicago many, many times buying records and had "most" of the stuff out of there at one time or another.

Is it particluarly rare, obscure? Or have I just managed to miss it?

Thanks

Phil

Social source share

Thanks for the info Bob.

I thought so. was Yan-G one of Phil orsi's labels?

I haven't come across this before, and i've been to Chicago many, many times buying records and had "most" of the stuff out of there at one time or another.

Is it particluarly rare, obscure? Or have I just managed to miss it?

Thanks

Phil

Yes, both labels were phil orsi connected. Your record came out on both WISE WORLD and WIDE WORLD. I think more common on the "wise" version. Apparently it was a local hit in Chicago but now it is hard to find. It also comes on both vinyl and styrene. I still only have a sort of messed up copy but it isn't like ultra rare like the yan-g record, it turns up ocassionally. The classics went to Englewood high school but I don't know any of the members. I would like to interview them on my radio show.

Social source share

Yes, both labels were phil orsi connected. Your record came out on both WISE WORLD and WIDE WORLD. I think more common on the "wise" version. Apparently it was a local hit in Chicago but now it is hard to find. It also comes on both vinyl and styrene. I still only have a sort of messed up copy but it isn't like ultra rare like the yan-g record, it turns up ocassionally. The classics went to Englewood high school but I don't know any of the members. I would like to interview them on my radio show.

Thanks Bob. You're a fount of knowledge when it comes to Chicago stuff.

I've got the Yan-G record, and have had it a total of 3 times. Many years ago now, once from a guy called Art morales (now sadly dead), once from Record Dugout on W.63rd (I think that came from Phil orsi) and the other one just across the road at Frank's Records.

Wish I'd kept 'em all :thumbup:

Phil

Social source share

Thanks Bob. You're a fount of knowledge when it comes to Chicago stuff.

I've got the Yan-G record, and have had it a total of 3 times. Many years ago now, once from a guy called Art morales (now sadly dead), once from Record Dugout on W.63rd (I think that came from Phil orsi) and the other one just across the road at Frank's Records.

Wish I'd kept 'em all :thumbup:

Phil

I met Art once before he died, I'm a younger collector so I didn't have the opportunity to interact with him much. Steve did say he got the yan-g record (and the velvets on number one) from phil orsi before. It's surprising that you had that record so many times but not the wise world 45. I don't know "frank's records", must have been gone for a long time.

Social source share

I met Art once before he died, I'm a younger collector so I didn't have the opportunity to interact with him much. Steve did say he got the yan-g record (and the velvets on number one) from phil orsi before. It's surprising that you had that record so many times but not the wise world 45. I don't know "frank's records", must have been gone for a long time.

I had some great stuff off Mr Battinich @ Dugout over the years. I got 2 copies of Vel-Vets off him at the same time as The Classics (I think he got more than the one copy) together with the Servicemen - Sweet Magic, which went to Andy Dyson.

Franks used to be on W.63rd too, opposite side of the road to Record Dugout but only about 300 yards further down the road toward the airport. last time I went there was around '94 I think.

When on a buying trip with Pat Brady (the '94 trip I think) we got The Poets on J-2 out of Franks.

Phil

Edited by phild
Social source share

I had some great stuff off Mr Battinich @ Dugout over the years. I got 2 copies of Vel-Vets off him at the same time as The Classics (I think he got more than the one copy) together with the Servicemen - Sweet Magic, which went to Andy Dyson.

Franks used to be on W.63rd too, opposite side of the road to Record Dugout but only about 300 yards further down the road toward the airport. last time I went there was around '94 I think.

When on a buying trip with Pat Brady (the '94 trip I think) we got The Poets on J-2 out of Franks.

Phil

actually steve talks about you all the time (not by name), he always talks about the time that he sold you the servicemen and he said he had one more and you asked him to go get it and he got it for you. in fact, I think I was in the store once when you were in the store because he was talking about finding the deltours once and you said that you had a copy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!