Ref-O-Ree - Peggy Gaines - Just To Satisfy My Baby

45cellar

Just playing this wonderful double sider, when I noticed there are two different mixes for this side.

Deadwax Markings.

R-711-X - Strings Foreground - PIANO ?

R-711-A - Strings in the Background. (PIANO Foreground)

Anyone ever noticed this before, I certainly haven't.

Don't know if one is rarer than the other or Luck of the draw.

I bought them from Soul Bowl in the 70's.

Reforee_711.gif

The Labels are Identical, here are the two different Deadwax Markings above.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Interesting one Roger, just checked, copy I got is the R711A matrix. another thing bout this 45 is the flip side, the excellent "Sweet Way Of Living" label credits it at 2:40 but ya only get bout a minute and a half of it!!! which is a shame coz it's me fav side

steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for that Mate.

I hadn't noticed the TIMING on "Sweet Way Of Living" Label compared to the actual time.

Social source share

i have a copy of this roger. i bought it for sweet way of living that is over a minute shorter than

it says on the label. ive never played the flip.its quite nice .i think i prefer the piano mix but it

only cost me a quid some years ago at leeds record fair so it dont really matter. i`ll have to dig it out

and have a look. cheers for that

dave

Social source share

i have a copy of this roger. i bought it for sweet way of living that is over a minute shorter than

it says on the label. ive never played the flip.its quite nice .i think i prefer the piano mix but it

only cost me a quid some years ago at leeds record fair so it dont really matter. i`ll have to dig it out

and have a look. cheers for that

dave

Hi Dave

Yes, I have played the "Sweet Way Of Living" more than the "Just To Satisfy My Baby" side.

It was only by chance, through checking the Deadwax on a couple of copies that noticed the R-711-X & R-711-A.

Curiosity took over and I played both, found the different mixes.

Social source share

Roger

Good ear.

I've got the X copy and when I played it on my PC I thought it sounded different from the other two!

Mind you I'm just out the bath so probably suds in my ears!!

Two Terrific Tunes.

gary

Hi Gary

I like both sides too, a nice cheap Double Sider,

(Just Became a Treble Sider) I guess. :lol:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I just love these little quirky discoverys

Only got the one copy and like most it seems it's filed with SWOL side as the play side.

Loved it as a cheapy when bought 3/4 years back and still relatively cheap, though I see Browny has changed it from LOW to 25 quid in his latest book.

Time for the completists to get the other one they haven't got eh!!

Social source share

it does seem to be....

Right thanks for that, Looks the same.

I have four copies of this, 1 with "R-711-X" & 3 with "R-711-A"

I'm at work shortly as I work Nights.

Tomorrow, I will check the 3 again to see if they are the same or ?.

My copies arrived via a Soul Pack and by chance I took 2 out & noticed the difference (hence this thread).

The three R-711 A look the same but ? (We'll See)

Thanks Again Mate.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I just love these little quirky discoverys

Only got the one copy and like most it seems it's filed with SWOL side as the play side.

Loved it as a cheapy when bought 3/4 years back and still relatively cheap, though I see Browny has changed it from LOW to 25 quid in his latest book.

Time for the completists to get the other one they haven't got eh!!

I have always known this as a cheap record, and have to admit filed under "Sweet Way Of Living"

Like you I love the quirky stories / alternate takes etc behind some of the records we love.

Someone must have had a change of mind regarding this side, subtle differences but must have been Important at the time.

John Anderson found records from Various Sources including the Label Owner. With this record, high numbers appear to exist of each version.

(4 Copies in a Soul Pack from Soul Bowl in the 70's) - 100 for £3 - Those were the days.

However,

It begs the Question "Why the Change of Mix?"

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

just put "JTSMB" on cd,think mine must be strings version :thumbup: ,will check.Have noticed that "SWOL" is shorter too than on label credits..Kev. :) .2 great sides.

SWOL - yet another Mecca sound,probably CC,but its along time ago................... :unsure:

Social source share

Right thanks for that, Looks the same.

I have four copies of this, 1 with "R-711-X" & 3 with "R-711-A"

I'm at work shortly as I work Nights.

Tomorrow, I will check the 3 again to see if they are the same or ?.

My copies arrived via a Soul Pack and by chance I took 2 out & noticed the difference (hence this thread).

The three R-711 A look the same but ? (We'll See)

Thanks Again Mate.

Just to Update this, I have played my 4 copies,

3 copies = Piano, 1 copy = Strings

Looks like there is a 3rd Version, but I'm not sure how you tell by just looking at the Matrix for this one.

Social source share

Bloody hell all these years and never noticed the different mix. :lol:

Checked my 2 copies issue and demo from my coolection and both are strings version.

Right then,..................I need ASAP a copy of the piano version DEMO & ISSUE any help let me know how much

Cheers

Dave H (TMIB) :thumbup:

Social source share

Bloody hell all these years and never noticed the different mix. :lol:

Checked my 2 copies issue and demo from my coolection and both are strings version.

Right then,..................I need ASAP a copy of the piano version DEMO & ISSUE any help let me know how much

Cheers

Dave H (TMIB) :thumbup:

Hi Dave

I was going to ask If anyone had a DEMO as I haven't seen one.

Interesting that the DEMO is the Strings Version.

Wondering if another DEMO exists.

Social source share

The demo was actually the very first record I bought on the label and the labelhad been a bit of an obsession since. Anything with Ted Jarrett/Bob Holmes on it and Im in there. I have been raving about this record for so long I had given up on it, I used to sell copies for £4 each back in the 80s with the promise of your money back if you did not like it. i dont recall ever having one returned.

Strangely the Peggy Gaines 45 is the first demo I have where its a plain white one, all my earlier releases are white with a red stripe, so prehaps if a demo exists of the piano intro then it might be red & white?? Heaven forbid if there are 2 demos designs of each mix??????

There I was sitting back thinking I only have one known Reforee 45 to get and now its doubled to 2, (not withstanding the unknown issues???)

Dave H. (TMIB)

STILL NEED A PIANO COPY IF ANYBODY WANTS TO GIVE IT A GOOD HOME????????

Edited by reforee
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Just to Update this, I have played my 4 copies,

3 copies = Piano, 1 copy = Strings

Looks like there is a 3rd Version, but I'm not sure how you tell by just looking at the Matrix for this one.

Ressurrecting this old thread as I've just been playing the version off the Kent CD "Music City Soul" and it's one with strings in the foreground.

My copy, is the one without the 'X', but for some reason I didn't get around to playing it when I checked the matrix no.

I just assumed it's the one with the piano in the foreground.

But when re-visiting this thread I spotted the possibility of a third version - did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?

The version of Val's doesn't really sound any different (to me) so I just wondered if there is any numbering differences and just what the difference is on that version?

Social source share

Ressurrecting this old thread as I've just been playing the version off the Kent CD "Music City Soul" and it's one with strings in the foreground.

My copy, is the one without the 'X', but for some reason I didn't get around to playing it when I checked the matrix no.

I just assumed it's the one with the piano in the foreground.

But when re-visiting this thread I spotted the possibility of a third version - did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?

The version of Val's doesn't really sound any different (to me) so I just wondered if there is any numbering differences and just what the difference is on that version?

Hi John

As far as I'm aware we didn't Identify the 3rd Version. It would be good to find the difference in the Deadwax.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!