Tom Jones

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andrew bin

Here it is, canny like, what do you think ?

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

good old Tom :lol: i like that

has any one ever palyed a Tom Jones track at a nighter soul night ???

yes ...."CAN'T BREAK THE NEWS " vastly superior to ben e king

Well I think "It's not unusual" by The Dells is a cracking (T.J) soulful sound.....has anyone else (apart from you Crumb) heard that?

Social source share

he has a couple of good ones "the lonely one", "dr. love" and a "chills and fever" version. on one lp he covered some soul songs, a really nice lp all in all....

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

mr jones is only trying to keep in with the northern soul crowd because he knows the pop scene is garbage. someone mentioned "i cant break the news"

well, "i cant break the news", by john speaker is such a rollercoaster of a classic that this or anything else by t. jones could not emulate this and he knows it...

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

mr jones is only trying to keep in with the northern soul crowd because he knows the pop scene is garbage. someone mentioned "i cant break the news"

well, "i cant break the news", by john speaker is such a rollercoaster of a classic that this or anything else by t. jones could not emulate this and he knows it...

:thumbup::lol: i doubt very much that mutli million album selling tom jones gives a flying f**k about trying to keep in with the northern soul crowd

i listened to the tom jones version on utube, the vocals were great but i couldn't get my head around that weird sound i still prefer ben e king

i did find this :no: nice

">
Social source share

he has a couple of good ones "the lonely one", "dr. love" and a "chills and fever" version. on one lp he covered some soul songs, a really nice lp all in all....

'13 Smash Hits' ('Fever Zone' in the US i think...?) is the one that's half soul covers.

also can add 'Looking Out My Window' and 'Hide and Seek' to your list, although more on the funk/60s side of things... and he does an alright version of 'Right Place Wrong Time' on one of his 70s LPs... also Hard to Handle and a few others...

really good version of Chills and Fever, with some excellent crowd shots:

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

:thumbsup::g: i doubt very much that mutli million album selling tom jones gives a flying f**k about trying to keep in with the northern soul crowd

i listened to the tom jones version on utube, the vocals were great but i couldn't get my head around that weird sound i still prefer ben e king

i did find this :lol: nice

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Tom Jones was an excellent singer in his day - made his millions from Pop records and we have on occasion nicked the odd b-side to play etc

However my favourite was watching him with the KLF singing "Your unbelievable" about a decade ago on TV

Wish I had recorded it - it was immense

For goodness sake the man is a legend in music circles! Not saying he had the greates soulful voice but it was still bloody good!

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Tom Jones was an excellent singer in his day - made his millions from Pop records and we have on occasion nicked the odd b-side to play etc

However my favourite was watching him with the KLF singing "Your unbelievable" about a decade ago on TV

Wish I had recorded it - it was immense

For goodness sake the man is a legend in music circles! Not saying he had the greates soulful voice but it was still bloody good!

ernie! for gods sake, keep those nickers on!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

the northern soul crowd care about their music and history. "nickers" jones will be remembered as a naff pop singer. of course jones knows the northern soul scene, we issued a track by himself. "mr jolly lives next door" about sums up his talents. he, along with the other pop illumni-including the despicable pussycat dolls, are destined for the dustbin of musical history.

john speaker is 100 times better than ben e king!!!

:D:ohmy: my mum wouldn't agree with that :)

allthough i'm not a great fan of tom you have to admit he was a greatand successful pop singer in his day and i do like some of his stuff, i know the northern soul crowd care about the music and history but like i said doubt very much that millionaire tom jones cares what a few people think about his music

i wouldn't put the pussy cat dolls in the same sentence has tom come to think of it i wouldn't put them in the same room, if you did i'm sure they would be expecting pussy cat kittens :P toms a bit rude form what i've heard :lol:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Before Jonathan Ross earnt his millions on the Beeb he had a Friday night chat show called The Last Resort on C4, way back in the 80s. He had Tom Jones on one show, and although I can't remember the song he sang, I can remember that during the interview JR asked Tom Jones who his musical idols were and his answer was Chuck Jackson!

You can't fault a man who picks Chuck Jackson as his singing idol. And let's face it, who in 1988 outside the soul scene would have even heard of Chuck Jackson?

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Before Jonathan Ross earnt his millions on the Beeb he had a Friday night chat show called The Last Resort on C4, way back in the 80s. He had Tom Jones on one show, and although I can't remember the song he sang, I can remember that during the interview JR asked Tom Jones who his musical idols were and his answer was Chuck Jackson!

You can't fault a man who picks Chuck Jackson as his singing idol. And let's face it, who in 1988 outside the soul scene would have even heard of Chuck Jackson?

Quite right Deeb!

There is another thread that seems more 'pro' Mr Jones' effort!

Might not be Northern, or Soul, but it beats the likes of Duffy etc anyday. I for one will download it and listen more than once. Great!

Social source share

Guest bluepowersoul

there were several Tom Jones tunes played Pete Smith would be better at naming them all but I can remember "Stop Breaking my heart" AROUND 1975/76

DON'T YOU MEAN "JOHNNY SAYLES - STOP BREAKING MY HEART" AS IT WAS KNOWN THEN! Can see why too this was covered as him, middle eight taken also a straight take on "Can't get enough". My fave british soul track of all time and I like and have a few good un's

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

not many i suppose, but isn't it typical of most major pop acts profiting from the music of black america.sandy shaw, cilla the stones,the hollies etc all had access to and covered,music first cut by black americans.only later do they acknowledge them. listen to blue mink"melting pot" and then micky murray "people are together",straight rip off.don't think he got a mention,and if i'm not mistaken "supposedly" written by messrs cook and greenaway. as for tom jones, he's a tosser,always has been always will be.end of. :D imho.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!