Mamie Galore

KevH

Hi,sorry if this powerhouse of soul has been covered before..

First heard this 30 odd years ago,been a love of mine since.If i had to play Northern example to someone this may well be near the top of the list.

What i'd like to ask my learned friends is....who and where was it first played?.

Has the "b" side ever gained recognition? ,as imo its just right, and another perfect example of mid-tempo soul.

Over to you guys.....Kev :rolleyes:

Social source share

Hi,sorry if this powerhouse of soul has been covered before..

First heard this 30 odd years ago,been a love of mine since.If i had to play Northern example to someone this may well be near the top of the list.

Great Northern Soul, hard to say who first played it as there always seemed to be so many copies about.

Would stay clear of the ones without the full publishing company details on the left hand side! Should be Cragvee & Overcome.

Demo is quite rare.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Has the "b" side ever gained recognition? ,as imo its just right, and another perfect example of mid-tempo soul.

Over to you guys.....Kev thumbsup.gif

normally listen to all "b" sides but must have missed this one, got to agree this should be getting played. thumbup.gif

gogs

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Mamie Galore is/was regarded very much as a Catacombs anthem (see B&S ads. below), though I couldn't say for certain if it originated there. Max Millward would know I guess. One of those sounds that bring a nostalgic tear to the eye for sure. (sigh!)

post-4950-1223583664_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Great Northern Soul, hard to say who first played it as there always seemed to be so many copies about.

Would stay clear of the ones without the full publishing company details on the left hand side! Should be Cragvee & Overcome.

Demo is quite rare.

Only got 'Overcome' on mine! also there's only a very slight marking in the run-out groove of 20094. Boot?

Social source share

Demo is quite rare.

agree there seems to be copies always around,but was that the case when it first broke? Sometimes when i have a bit of a daydream,i always find a UK demo of this !!!.

What's the story on St.Lawrence stuff not getting onto UK labels?.Bearing in mind "I.A.N." had US exposure?

Social source share

Only got 'Overcome' on mine! also there's only a very slight marking in the run-out groove of 20094. Boot?

i've got cragvee & overcome on "it aint nessesary" side but only "overcome on other side, strange or correct?

any help appreciated.

gogs

Social source share

Guest mel brat

agree there seems to be copies always around,but was that the case when it first broke...?

Of course, no. As with all in-demand records played during that era, there weren't many copies around (far from it!) Also it was bootlegged, as was Butch Baker. If I recall, the main differences were that the labels on the bootlegs had a grey-ish "photocopied" look about them and the edge of the record was cut sharp rather than chamfered.

Social source share

Mamie Galore is/was regarded very much as a Catacombs anthem (see B&S ads. below), though I couldn't say for certain if it originated there. Max Millward would know I guess. One of those sounds that bring a nostalgic tear to the eye for sure. (sigh!)

post-4950-1223583664_thumb.jpg

in answer to the question, it was regarded as a record that you had to go to the "cats" to hear! but as in so many cases it's immpossible to confirm the the copy i played wasn't one of a handful that had turned up!

max..

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Demo is quite rare.

Bugger...... oh well live and learn best get that one i have selling on ebay sorted then .

Social source share

Of course, no. As with all in-demand records played during that era, there weren't many copies around (far from it!) Also it was bootlegged, as was Butch Baker. If I recall, the main differences were that the labels on the bootlegs had a grey-ish "photocopied" look about them and the edge of the record was cut sharp rather than chamfered.

AM WONDERING WHY JOHN MANSHIP DOES NOT HAVE THIS LISTED IN HIS BOOT GUIDE OR HIS ISSUE 5 PRICE GUIDE BOOT SECTION ,

WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE AS BUTCH BAKER IS LISTED LAWRENCE 1011 WHITE LABEL REPRO

KEV

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!