Epsilons On Shrine "mad At The World"

Guest Kevin J

Guest Kevin J

so, a friend just found this in a thrift store here in Chicago. I was noticing that the writing credit on Mad at the World is Keni Lewis. Is this the same Keni Lewis that recorded "Whats her name" on Buddah. Ive read that that Keni Lewis did do some writing, from what I can find, with Gene Chandler ... wondering if he was a member of the Epsilons and if so, were they a Chicago group? How did they end up on Shrine, if so?

Maybe Bob A. knows the answer?? or anyone ...??

Edited by Kevin J
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Kevin J

another interesting bit ... there is a K. Lewis listed in the phone book at an address about 4 blocks from the thrift store where this was found. my friend says that he came across this in a small batch of DC area stuff ... hmm.

Social source share

so, a friend just found this in a thrift store here in Chicago. I was noticing that the writing credit on Mad at the World is Keni Lewis. Is this the same Keni Lewis that recorded "Whats her name" on Buddah. Ive read that that Keni Lewis did do some writing, from what I can find, with Gene Chandler ... wondering if he was a member of the Epsilons and if so, were they a Chicago group? How did they end up on Shrine, if so?

Maybe Bob A. knows the answer?? or anyone ...??

it is the same Keni Lewis, he was a DC guy as Steve G states, he was in some other groups too I think (I have to check my notes). He did a lot of writing and production. The only chicago connection I can think of is that I think he may have been one of the writers on gene chandler's mr. big shot (I will check when I get home). The epsilons are DC, it's suprising someone found that in Chicago, I have never found any shrine 45 in Chicago, I think they show up in detroit and some other places where they promoted, but finding even a more common shrine 45 in chicago is rare.

Social source share

it is the same Keni Lewis, he was a DC guy as Steve G states, he was in some other groups too I think (I have to check my notes). He did a lot of writing and production. The only chicago connection I can think of is that I think he may have been one of the writers on gene chandler's mr. big shot (I will check when I get home). The epsilons are DC, it's suprising someone found that in Chicago, I have never found any shrine 45 in Chicago, I think they show up in detroit and some other places where they promoted, but finding even a more common shrine 45 in chicago is rare.

Me and Ian found a load of stuff in the basement of a doo-wop collectors house just outside Chicago in 2001. The guy and his wife had bought all the stock when a record store had closed down in the town around 20 years earlier. Tangeers, Clarence Hill (2 stock copies), Ruby Andrews, Rockmasters etc and then in the middle was a copy of The Epsilons. Had us puzzled at the time how a small town store near Chicago was stocking Shrine records.

Mark

Social source share

Hi

My second post ... I've not posted an intro given I was a member a lifetime ago but my account died

The basic info you need is contained in the sleeve notes for the Kent CDs ... but to ave you some time

Keni St Lewis

Keni formed his first group, The V-J's, whilst still attending Washington's Cardozo High School. Modelling themselves on The Spaniels and The Dells, they started entering local talent shows with Keni composing original songs; one of which, 'Bad Detective' (Atco 6300), was eventually recorded by The Coasters in December 1963. A succession of group names and personnel changes followed and as The Lovebeats, whose line-up included Tommy Monteir and Gerald Richardson, they had an uncle drive them to New York's famous Apollo Theatre for amateur night, where they secured second place. In 1962 Keni was once again on the look out for new group members and by chance met up with Sidney, who, at a loose end, agreed to audition at Keni's house. The final member was Carl Lomax Kidd, who was originally from Charleston, West Virginia. He was an old friend of Keni's and had just returned from a tour of duty in Germany with the Services. The new group called themselves The Surgeons and performed with their own band, which included future Shrine session man Charles 'Skip' Pitts. In the early part of 1963 the band split away and another name change saw the group become The Enjoyables. The line up remained fluid with Gerald Richardson, James Johnson and William Britton all spending brief periods with the group; by the fall of 1963 Keni, Maxx and Sidney had become a trio.

106 THE EPSILONS - MAD AT THE WORLD / I'M SO DEVOTED

This recording marked the second wave of Shrine releases, reflecting the changes that had taken place within the company. A new distribution deal / financial investment was in place from the Jet Set connection and the introduction of Keni, Maxx, Harry and Dale as the main players in the recording studio was established. The Epsilons had been spotted by Al Fox of The Wisemen, who had taken them along to the studio to audition. James Duvall, who played guitar on the session, Ronald Williams and Gregory Thomas impressed all present and they were offered a recording contract. Miss Ray then gave the group their name, deriving it from the fifth letter of the Greek alphabet. It was released at the beginning of the summer of 1966 and it became the label's best seller, even requiring a second pressing to meet the demand generated from airplay in the Tri-state area. Whilst this 'hit' appeared to herald an upturn in the commercial success of Shrine, it was to become their last moment of achievement in the market place.

Hope that helps

Andy

Social source share

"problem child" on calla as well. May actualy be 4 miles high But I can't remember ?

the calla group is 4 miles high. Problem child is a fawns cover. However, I was wrong about Keni Lewis being a member of the group, at least according to the soul harmony singles book, the counts / 4 miles high / 5 miles high are : Richard Collins, Clarence 'money' Munroe, Jimmy Faison, Stanley Minor, LaMont Wash.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!