Manship's Usa Price Guide 5 Edition

ORDER YOUR COPY OF MANSHIP'S USA PRICE GUIDE 5TH EDITION

Available 1st. November 2008

TAKE A LOOK AT THE AD ATTACHED TO SEE SAMPLE PAGES OF THE BOOK

EMAIL ORDER @ sales@raresoulman.co.uk

phone orders 01664 464526

Pay Pal sales@raresoulman.co.uk

£29.00 + £7.00 p&p UK £8.00 P7P europe £15.00 airmail rest of the world.

** USA buyers post is FREE our USA distributor will send them "media mail"

click below to view samples.

many thanks

john manship records

Edited by john manship
Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi,

What is the postage?

Thanks,

P smile.gif

The postage is £7.00 uk £8.00 europe rest of the world £15 air mail*

*our USA distributor is sending them media mail F.O.C. for USA orders only.

I've found the best way to few the advert.

Click on the pdf link, wait a minute (there's loads of colour to download) raise the image to 300% all the info is there and clear to read.

Your comments are most welcome.

Lisa@raresoulman.co.uk

Edited by john manship
Social source share

many thanks

john manship records

Looking forward to it ,tim browns guide is anyhow yes.gif
Social source share

Hi John, when will it be available?

Loads of auction prices on POPSIKE at the click of a button. These guides are just to tell USA dealers what to charge, so they don't undercut the UK middleman. IMO!

Social source share

Loads of auction prices on POPSIKE at the click of a button. These guides are just to tell USA dealers what to charge, so they don't undercut the UK middleman. IMO!

But those on Popsike are auction prices and are therefore not accurate if two people are bidding for the same record. And of course it only gives you about 50% of the records sold.

Social source share

But those on Popsike are auction prices and are therefore not accurate if two people are bidding for the same record. And of course it only gives you about 50% of the records sold.

I don't agree with the price guides, but they are not going to stop.

It would therefore be a lot more use to have them on a web site than in a book because the prices are constantly changing. Popsike is moving in that direction!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I don't agree with the price guides, but they are not going to stop.

It would therefore be a lot more use to have them on a web site than in a book because the prices are constantly changing. Popsike is moving in that direction!

I agree with you there and something may be happening along those lines allegedly.

Social source share

I agree with you there and something may be happening along those lines allegedly.

Pete,

Online Guide.

Yes that certainly will happen also, we have at the moment about 190,000 different listings all complete with flipsides with authentication and sales data.

We launch our new-look website in the new year and hope to expand the data to 250,000 results = 500,000 titles by the spring, then we may launch the online guide then or later in the year depending on work commitments. It will also included total access to all auction results for the past 8 years or so .

This has been in place to do for quite some time. We just feel 190,000 results isn't quite enough.

We are also working on an auction area that trusted dealers and collectors like yourself can use, benefiting from the "Live" conclusion facility. We thought Sundays would be a good day to end the biddings.

You load the scans and write up, we just validate the details and the seller and off you go... We are just mulling over the finer points, so any input will be most welcome.

As for popsike it's a fabulous site and I use it all the time for non-soul vinyl. But i do believe our latest guide about 70% of listings, you won't find on there... either too rare or too common.

Ie if you key in The Inticers - Baby Luv there is no result etc. or a Brainstorm on Tabu 45 also no result..for obvious reasons

We do take all opinions, good or bad on board and try to improve accordingly..

Price Guide FIVE is also full bootleg guide with over 1100 full colour scans and zills of previously undocumented information, priceless info if you buying or selling...

john

Social source share

John,

Is there any need for another book...I mean I didn`t think that prices had changed significantly from book 3 to 4 and now to introduce book 5...whats the point??

Of course I`ll be buying one. I need to know what these American dealers think their average record is worth before i start to try and get the record at a reasonable price!

Luckily most of them realise it is just what it says on the cover a "Guide" and prices fluctuate.

I`m not slagging the books off, I have used the book to my advantage learning about "new" records more times than i have been hidered by the book....but do we really need another volume?

As a matter of interest, who is the new book aimed at?

Chris

Social source share

Like I've said before...MOST of the Americans think the book is in dollars! I've had records from the States with scribbling on the sleeve saying things like...'manship's $150'... and when i've looked I see its John's actual (sterling) price!! Had quite a lot like this, especially off one seller in particular... :rolleyes:laugh.gif:(

So, John....don't EVER put a £ sign before your prices in the guides!!! :D

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Like I've said before...MOST of the Americans think the book is in dollars! I've had records from the States with scribbling on the sleeve saying things like...'manship's $150'... and when i've looked I see its John's actual (sterling) price!! Had quite a lot like this, especially off one seller in particular... :rolleyes:laugh.gif:(

So, John....don't EVER put a £ sign before your prices in the guides!!! :D

i agree entirely, i use the book as a guide and if i can get a £150 record(book price) for $150 then i get a bargain. to the comment above, yes there is need for another book as mine is used that much the spine is now in two bit :D make it easier to look tho,depending on which letter i'm looking at! can't wait for the new book,so well done john and keep up the great work.

Social source share

i agree entirely, i use the book as a guide and if i can get a £150 record(book price) for $150 then i get a bargain. to the comment above, yes there is need for another book as mine is used that much the spine is now in two bit laugh.gif make it easier to look tho,depending on which letter i'm looking at! can't wait for the new book,so well done john and keep up the great work.

It's just typical American's really, they think the world evolves around them (we still love them though), so obviously an AMERICAN SOUL price guide is gonna be in dollars! :rolleyes:

Social source share

I disagree, most US dealers I know think its in sterling. You only have to go to a record show and see prices on records. At the recent Allentown show I asked a few dealers how they got to that price and they said "Its 50 pounds in Manships book, that makes it 100 dollars".

I`m sure john wont mind me saying that most of the book is on the high side so if the record is only a £40 record anyway where do you start to negotiate on a record they want $100 for!? Ok, there are some exceptions and luckily most dealers do appreciate you need a deal after coming so far to buy records.

What really pisses me off is when you get guys at soul nights or on here using the book as a bible and every price is from the guide regardless of condition or the fact they have no Tax, VAT or Import duty to pay. I know earlier editions did make reference to VAT being included in the price.

I guess what pisses me off is not the book but the way people use it and interprate it.

Chris.

Social source share

I disagree, most US dealers I know think its in sterling. You only have to go to a record show and see prices on records. At the recent Allentown show I asked a few dealers how they got to that price and they said "Its 50 pounds in Manships book, that makes it 100 dollars".

I`m sure john wont mind me saying that most of the book is on the high side so if the record is only a £40 record anyway where do you start to negotiate on a record they want $100 for!? Ok, there are some exceptions and luckily most dealers do appreciate you need a deal after coming so far to buy records.

What really pisses me off is when you get guys at soul nights or on here using the book as a bible and every price is from the guide regardless of condition or the fact they have no Tax, VAT or Import duty to pay. I know earlier editions did make reference to VAT being included in the price.

I guess what pisses me off is not the book but the way people use it and interprate it.

Chris.

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

John,

Is there any need for another book...I mean I didn`t think that prices had changed significantly from book 3 to 4 and now to introduce book 5...whats the point??

Of course I`ll be buying one. I need to know what these American dealers think their average record is worth before i start to try and get the record at a reasonable price!

Luckily most of them realise it is just what it says on the cover a "Guide" and prices fluctuate.

I`m not slagging the books off, I have used the book to my advantage learning about "new" records more times than i have been hidered by the book....but do we really need another volume?

As a matter of interest, who is the new book aimed at?

Chris

Some good points Chris, of course I've ordered my copy too and am looking foward to reading it (I remember I took the first edition on holiday with me and spent a week with it on a beach - people thought me mad but when the OCD kicks in there's no stopping us!). From a punters perspective I too question the need for another guide but JM's not daft. Why is the Guiness book of hit singles or whatever re-packaged every year - because people will buy it. As a collector it gives me an idea about what I should be paying. As an ebay seller the guide is pretty meaningless to me. The record sells for what it sells for. The higher end items usually reach a price that is dictated to some degree by what it says in the guides (minus a certain % for condition and reality!). But for lesser value items the guide is irrelevant. Anything "valued" at under £30 especially 70s stuff will sell for as little as 0.99. So it depends on whether you believe the true price to be what it says in a record dealers book or what a final auction price is that's been dictated by the widest possible market - ebay? Personally I think the latter, and that the price guides have been used to shore up prices for established set-sale dealers. For me, the guides should cut out the crap and start at £50 and above for genuinely harder to find disks but from the publishers point of view what's the business sense in that? Having got that off my chest I'll eagerly await the postman!

Social source share

Cant wait for mine as a collector their is alot of water under the bridge since the last one and also a comprehensive review of bootlegs of some of the bigger tunes would be very handy.I have started collecting lots of funk which i will be cross refernceing with other quides so that is a bonus also.Gonna give it a comprehensive review when it comes!A s for the wider issues of wheter or not the market deems it relevant then Johns sales will reflect this,as for american dealers raising the prices dont accept that argument if you have the realtionship cash is the great leveller with them,it always has been.

BAZ A wink.gif

Social source share

Available 1st. November 2008

Pay Pal sales@raresoulman.co.uk

£29.00 + £7.00 p&p UK £8.00 P7P europe £15.00 airmail rest of the world.

** USA buyers post is FREE our USA distributor will send them "media mail"

click below to view samples.

many thanks

john manship records

£7 to send 1 book inland UK seems a bit steep to me John? Is it coming via courier? Pony express...? Taxi...LOL.........

How will te books be shipped inland?

Ta...MRez

Social source share

Ok I can't be arsed reading right through this thread can someone just answer me this question...

If you have Edition 4...is it worth shelling out another £30 on Edition 5?

Social source share

Ok I can't be arsed reading right through this thread can someone just answer me this question...

If you have Edition 4...is it worth shelling out another £30 on Edition 5?

depends if you need John Manship to keep you up to date on how much to pay for your records!!

and the guide makes sure no one sells you a record to cheap!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pauldicko

Just recieved the guide ,cracking book with loads of nice pictures and the boot leg guide ,in my mind a bargain at £29 :)

GOT MINE THROUGH THE DOOR THIS MORNING !!!!!!!!! WILL TAKE ME UNTIL NEXT XMAS TO WADE THROUGH IT ALL - BRILLIANT £30 FOR A YEARS READING - A BLOODY BARGAIN COMPARED TO WHAT MY MISSUS AND ELDEST KIDS SPEND ON OK / HELLO AND ALL THOSE SHITE GLOSSY GOSSIP MAGS.

IT'LL DO FOR ME.

CHEERS JOHN.

Social source share

Sorry for those of you who haven't got you PG5 yet, the girls had to pack and ship almost 1000 copies starting Monday.

DHL courier picked 1/2 up on Tuesday, the Van wasn't big enough to take them all :thumbup: in one go. Today DHL picked up the other 1/2 so they should be with you tomorrow.

USA customers, our freight company pick up this week and ship to our east coast distributors who will then Mail USA side, to keep you postage cost at a minimum. You should receive PG5 next week.

Please note nobody was charged for anything until late last week.

Sorry for the delay but we worked as fast as we could...

It is big, fat and colourful, and should be worth the unavoidable short delay..

Apologises

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Sorry for those of you who haven't got you PG5 yet, the girls had to pack and ship almost 1000 copies starting Monday.

DHL courier picked 1/2 up on Tuesday, the Van wasn't big enough to take them all :thumbup: in one go. Today DHL picked up the other 1/2 so they should be with you tomorrow.

USA customers, our freight company pick up this week and ship to our east coast distributors who will then Mail USA side, to keep you postage cost at a minimum. You should receive PG5 next week.

Please note nobody was charged for anything until late last week.

Sorry for the delay but we worked as fast as we could...

It is big, fat and colourful, and should be worth the unavoidable short delay..

Apologises

John

Fair enough, it was the e-mail notification that it had been shipped on Monday that threw me.

Social source share

Fair enough, it was the e-mail notification that it had been shipped on Monday that threw me.

Joe,

Yes I see your point, confirmation shipping email is sent after it's wrapped, which could well have been Monday.

So your books must be in the second batch DHL picked up today..

Sorry mate, the girls do pride themselves on quick shipping.

let me know when you get them

john

Social source share

bIG THANKS TO JOHN FOR SENDING ME THIS ,GOT MINE TODAY TOOK IT BACK OUT WITH ME TO WORK[THATS HOW SAD I AM],IM SO IMPRESSED WITH THIS QUIDE ON INITIAL FIRST IMPRESSIONS SOME WORK HAS GONE IT TO THIS IMHO,AND THE THING THAT IMPRESSES ME THE MOST IS THAT IT IS NOT JUST THE BIGGER TITLES WHICH HAVE BEEN AUTHENTICATED!

JOHN ILL PM YOU MY THOUGHTS OVER THE WEEKEND AFTER IVE GIVEN IT THE COMPREHENSIVE GOING OVER,I STRESS EVERY COLLECTOR OUT THEIR TO GET IT ASAP,ALSO JUST FOUND OUT MY TOMMY BUSH IS THE REAL DEAL ALSO :wicked:

BAZ A.

Social source share

Price guides are the commercialization of Northern Soul record collecting.

Experience counts for nothing as anybody can now have the prices out of the book, you do not even have to like the music but can still buy all the info!

The Price guide prices are set by sellers, the book stops them being undercut, especially from USA dealers and Ebay, which I think was the plan all along.

In the end of the day it just means collectors have to pay even more to get these records, as no one is going to sell anything less than book price.

The bootleg guide is a good thing, as that is practical useful information!

Just my opinion, but I used to get records at a reasonable price, from USA dealers who were happy with the money they received, now they have all got fantastic price expectations! its alright if you are a millionaire, but I'm not, how about you!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I STRESS EVERY COLLECTOR OUT THEIR TO GET IT ASAP,

Price guides are the commercialization of Northern Soul record collecting.

Experience counts for nothing as anybody can now have the prices out of the book, you do not even have to like the music but can still buy all the info!

The Price guide prices are set by sellers, the book stops them being undercut, especially from USA dealers and Ebay.

In the end of the day it just means collectors have to pay even more to get these records, as no one is going to sell anything less than book price, which i think is the plan all along.

The bootleg guide is a good thing, as that is practical useful information!

Just my opinion, but I used to get records at a reasonable price, from USA dealers who were happy with the money they received, now they have all got fantastic price expectations! its alright if you are a millionaire, but I'm not, how about you!

I agree with everthing you say above, especially about no longer being able to buy records at sensible prices from the USA, except one thing, and thats that I still don't use book prices for my records for sale, very rarely anyway - I put 7 or 8 good titles up for sale tonight and I think only one is at book price

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!