Unreleased Acetates - One Offs - Unknowns

Pete S

Here's a nice selection of what are as far as I know, unreleased tracks on original acetates. If any did get a release, then I'm sure someone on here will know. I'll post them up one at a time all under this post.I would be looking for offers for these.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 29
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

You can clearly hear Van McCoy and Kendra Spottswood on the backing vocals, Pete. Sounds a little bit like Van singing, too, but I wouldn't swear to that. Van was on staff at April Music at this time so he probably was involved with demos of songs besides those he wrote himself...

Powerful version though Tone, what do you think...I actually thought the vocalist maybe white!

Social source share

Hi Pete, I have the - Never leave me - Acetate as Ortheia Barnes - sombody told me Ady C sold another Acetate to Dave Flynn, no idea whether that is true, Ady, Dave? anyhow I've had this via a mate on Mp3 for some time now....

Mal

Interesting you mention Ortheia Barnes Malc, because this acetate has Mickays typed on the label. Is it the exact same cut?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Powerful version though Tone, what do you think...I actually thought the vocalist maybe white!

Yes, it's great - better than Major's, too. The more I hear it, the more I think it IS Van McCoy singing. I've just played a few of his own records of the period for comparison, and there are many vocal similarities between what's on them and what's on here. To be fair - and in reference to your comment - on many of those MOR things he recorded for Columbia he doesn't sound very black, either...

Whoever can afford to buy it will be a very fortunate collector, IMO...

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

You can clearly hear Van McCoy and Kendra Spottswood on the backing vocals, Pete. Sounds a little bit like Van singing, too, but I wouldn't swear to that. Van was on staff at April Music at this time so he probably was involved with demos of songs besides those he wrote himself...

Could well be The Spellbinders, or version of that group...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

No , it is definitely Van McCoy , albeit singing in a slightly lower key than usual from his solo recordings.

I had a few more Van fans listen to it last night and they all agree with you and I that it's him. This is actually Van's natural range - he sounds just like this on some of his Columbia 45s and albums of the period...

...so you and I can agree on something for once! :):lol::P

Social source share

MESSAGE TO EVERYONE WHO EXPRESSED AN INTEREST IN THE ACETATES: THIS IS HOW THINGS ARE LOOKING AT THE MOMENT...TIME 7.20PM SUNDAY 12/10/08

WAIT TILL I GET YOU IN MY ARMS - APRIL MUSIC ACETATE

TOP BID IS NOW 500

NEVER EVER LEAVE ME - SHELDON ACETATE

TOP BID IS NOW 450

DOWNPOUR OF TEARS - STUDIO 76 ACETATE

TOP BID IS NOW 350

IF YOU CAN'T BE TRUE - VIRTUE ACETATE

TOP BID IS NOW 100

MANY THANKS

PETE

Social source share

I ended up with a couple of the Never Leave Me, one a Sheldon acetate just like yours and one I think was labelless that I flogged to Flynny, I think I got them from Armon Boladian in Detroit.

Duncan Morris had a vinyl Shledon which Mick Smith had at one stage, I've had an International acetate for about 15 years.

Social source share

I had a few more Van fans listen to it last night and they all agree with you and I that it's him. This is actually Van's natural range - he sounds just like this on some of his Columbia 45s and albums of the period...

...so you and I can agree on something for once! laugh.gif:lol::D

Song is also flip to "Lost & Found" _ Kenny Carlton on Blue Rock

Social source share

I ended up with a couple of the Never Leave Me, one a Sheldon acetate just like yours and one I think was labelless that I flogged to Flynny, I think I got them from Armon Boladian in Detroit.

You did indeed, thank you thumbup.gif

Tony, is your acetate the same version as the one Pete has posted up? :lol:

Social source share

Latest bids are as follows, I have decided to close this auction at 10pm on Tuesday night

TOP BID IS NOW 550

TOP BID IS NOW 450

TOP BID IS NOW 350

TOP BID IS NOW 150

TOO DEAF TO HEAR - ANGEL SOUND ACETATE

TOP BID IS NOW 200

MANY THANKS

PETE

Social source share

Latest bids are as follows, I have decided to close this auction at 10pm on Tuesday night

WAIT TILL I GET YOU IN MY ARMS - APRIL MUSIC ACETATE TOP BID IS NOW 550

NEVER EVER LEAVE ME - SHELDON ACETATE TOP BID IS NOW 450

DOWNPOUR OF TEARS - STUDIO 76 ACETATE TOP BID IS NOW 350

IF YOU CAN'T BE TRUE - VIRTUE ACETATE TOP BID IS NOW 150

TOO DEAF TO HEAR - ANGEL SOUND ACETATE TOP BID IS NOW 200

PETE

Will 'Gordo B' be funding these purchases???????? :rolleyes:

Social source share

UPDATE

...AUCTION ENDS TONIGHT (TUESDAY) AT 8PM NOT 10PM AS I MAY HAVE SAID PREVIOUSLY - MISSUS DOESN'T WANT THE LITTLE 'UN BEING WOKEN UP BY THE PHONE RINGING AFTER 8!

TOP BID IS NOW 600

TOP BID IS NOW 450

TOP BID IS NOW 350

TOP BID IS NOW 175

TOO DEAF TO HEAR - ANGEL SOUND ACETATE

TOP BID IS NOW 200

MANY THANKS

PETE