Ty Karim & Gg Scans Needed

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Has anyone got a high res scan of TK and George Griffin's Sheridan House 7" of Keep On etc, I could use an MP3 of it too. Cheers

Ady

Did this come out on 7" Ady? I have a 12" which I could scan and send MP3 to you, may be struggling to do it this week so if urgent might be easier for me to send you record again.

If so do I get 2 CD's (and a namecheck, (ego, what ego)) and if so can I choose them as I already contribute significantly to Sonny's/Wills & Charlottes inheritance by buying most of the Kent CD's :D

If you need it sharpish email me as may not get on here rest of day.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Did this come out on 7" Ady? I have a 12" which I could scan and send MP3 to you, may be struggling to do it this week so if urgent might be easier for me to send you record again.

If so do I get 2 CD's (and a namecheck, (ego, what ego)) and if so can I choose them as I already contribute significantly to Sonny's/Wills & Charlottes inheritance by buying most of the Kent CD's :D

Cheers

Jock

Keep On Doin' Whatcha' Doin' was released on both 7" & 12" on Sheridan House but originally released on a Kon-Kord 12"

Social source share

Cheers

Jock

I'm OK for the 12" Jock, I'm pretty sure there was a 7" as Manship lists Pt !&" and the 12" has a different flip. Come ON Hampsey it must be in that soggy corner of the basement somewhere.

Social source share

Here`s the BIT release

post-1700-1224169147_thumb.jpg

I've got a copy of this (on a recommendation from Andy D, awesome double sider).....whats the story behind it? Anyone want to educate me???

Adam.

PS. Ady if you need any other scans of the Bit 45 just let me know.

Social source share

Come ON Hampsey it must be in that soggy corner of the basement somewhere.

:ohmy:

I think you're right Ady, but it looks like you're sorted now. Definately on a 45.

Don't know if its of any relevance to what you're doing... and ya'll may already know this... but it's the same 'tune' as "If I Can't Stop You" by Johnny Bristol / C. B. Overton.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

:ohmy:

I think you're right Ady, but it looks like you're sorted now. Definately on a 45.

Don't know if its of any relevance to what you're doing... and ya'll may already know this... but it's the same 'tune' as "If I Can't Stop You" by Johnny Bristol / C. B. Overton.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Thought it was Bo & Ruth........on Claridge ??

Social source share

Who was the writers credits given to on the J. Bristol and C.B. overton records ??

Good question - Can't put my hands on the C. B. Overton... but I'll guess it states pretty much the same as the Johnny Bristol... (please can anyone confirm?)

"If I Can't Stop You"

C. B. Overton 1977 Shock 45

Johnny Bristol 1981 Handshake LP

Written By - J.C. Robinson, B. Williams Jr, M. McQueen Jr (confirmed credited on the Johnny Bristol)

Arranged by Hense Powell (confirmed credited on the Johnny Bristol)

The Hense Powell connection might lead one to think that the Bo & Ruth hit are same or similar to the above...

...and they are similar I'll admit.

"You're Gonna Get Next To Me"

Bo & Ruth 1976 Claridge 45 & LP

Words and music - R L Kirkland, Bo Kirkland, Ruth Davis and Hense Powell

However... despite the fact that the Ty Karim & George Griffin track "Keep On Doin'" cites none of the above as having been involved I'd maintain that "Keep On Doin'" uses the same 'tune' or basic melody as "If I Can't Stop You"...

...and I'm not alone in thinking this - see Post 2 & Post 5 of an earlier thread.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Ty-Kari...ffin-t8267.html

Back in the early 80's when we were playing Bristol's "Love No Longer Has A Hold On Me", I obtained a 10" Acetate of his cut of "If I Can't Stop You" (As I recall, it was the same as is on the LP, but real nice on an Acetate). I tried to play it out, but it just didn't happen at the time.

Fast forward to 1990, Canal Tavern, Thorne, I was gobsmacked to hear the Ty Karim & George Griffin track and even more amazed to find that the label credits gave no reference or credits to the CB Overton (Johnny Bristol) - Hense Powell tune!

But to my ears it certainly IS the same tune.

Now, unless the C.B. Overton 45 is credited to Kent Harris (who also wrote 'Lighten Up Baby'), methinks there was probably some jiggery pokery going on or an 'agreement' somewhere in 1980. We know that Kent Harris & Hense Powell worked together extensively in LA (Kris Records & Jimmy Preacher Ellis etc). Can you throw any light on this Ady?

Aside from that... not really sure if Kon-Kord was the first issue or second issue. Steve Plumb asked the question earlier on here and got no response? :ohmy:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Idea-Mo...-12-t27578.html

I won't be losing sleep over it, but it's always been a bit of a mystery track to me.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Good question - Can't put my hands on the C. B. Overton... but I'll guess it states pretty much the same as the Johnny Bristol... (please can anyone confirm?)

"If I Can't Stop You"

Written By - J.C. Robinson, B. Williams Jr, M. McQueen Jr (confirmed credited on the Johnny Bristol)

The Hense Powell connection might lead one to think that the Bo & Ruth hit are same or similar to the above...

However... despite the fact that the Ty Karim & George Griffin track "Keep On Doin'" cites none of the above as having been involved I'd maintain that "Keep On Doin'" uses the same 'tune' or basic melody as "If I Can't Stop You"...

...and I'm not alone in thinking this - see Post 2 & Post 5 of an earlier thread.

Back in the early 80's when we were playing Bristol's "Love No Longer Has A Hold On Me", I obtained a 10" Acetate of his cut of "If I Can't Stop You" (As I recall, it was the same as is on the LP, but real nice on an Acetate). I tried to play it out, but it just didn't happen at the time.

Fast forward to 1990, Canal Tavern, Thorne, I was gobsmacked to hear the Ty Karim & George Griffin track and even more amazed to find that the label credits gave no reference or credits to the CB Overton (Johnny Bristol) - Hense Powell tune!

Now, unless the C.B. Overton 45 is credited to Kent Harris (who also wrote 'Lighten Up Baby'), methinks there was probably some jiggery pokery going on or an 'agreement' somewhere in 1980. We know that Kent Harris & Hense Powell worked together extensively in LA (Kris Records & Jimmy Preacher Ellis etc). Can you throw any light on this Ady?

Aside from that... not really sure if Kon-Kord was the first issue or second issue. Steve Plumb asked the question earlier on here and got no response? g.gif

I won't be losing sleep over it, but it's always been a bit of a mystery track to me.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Hello Sean,

Hope your well and all that, Heres my addition for what its worth.......

Always just assumed this was common knowledge regarding the lifting of the tune on these releases.....?

In hindsight maybe not. The CB Overton and Johnny Bristol versions both use the same track while Ty and Georges version is definately a replayed different backing track.....

The 7" version of Ty and George on Sheridan House came out twice[i used to have both],one starts the same as the 12" version[Which is the version i kept of the 7"], the other Has the complete start of the song edited out and just starts where Ty Karim sings "Baby....! " at the beginning of the song[i sold that version because i felt it just lacked something......It did, the start of the record !].....

The Konchord label of "Keep on doin whatcha doin" is a repress which surfaced in the late 80s or early 90s to satisfy the demand for the Sheridan House release of Ten or so years earlier..

Good example though of how you cant keep a good tune down :)

Ivor

Social source share

I've got a copy of this (on a recommendation from Andy D, awesome double sider).....whats the story behind it? Anyone want to educate me???

Adam.

PS. Ady if you need any other scans of the Bit 45 just let me know.

The Hi Diddle side is meant to be the same backing track as Ty's All At Once, could you post a bit of it up or send me an MP3 please/

Ta

Ady

Social source share

"If I Can't Stop You"

Aside from that... not really sure if Kon-Kord was the first issue or second issue. Steve Plumb asked the question earlier on here and got no response? g.gif

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Well the thick plottens. Kent just sent me Ty's version of "If I Can't Stop You" so there are questions to be asked!

Social source share

The Hi Diddle side is meant to be the same backing track as Ty's All At Once, could you post a bit of it up or send me an MP3 please/

Ta

Ady

Sent you a PM Ady, which I think will confirm this.

At least I now know why it sounded so familiar ohmy.gif . In my defence I don't have the Ty 45 and can't remember the last time I actually heard it!

Social source share

Yep, sounds like exactly the same backing track though not quite as good vocal as Ty, still an excellent record. Could you tell me if there are any matrix numbers different from the label or does that number on the label indicate 1964?

Thanks very much, this is all intriguing.

Hi Ady,

I'll get it out the record box tomorrow morning and get the details for you. If it would help I would happily lend the 45 to you for while.

Adam.

Social source share

Hello Sean,

Always just assumed this was common knowledge regarding the lifting of the tune on these releases.....?

In hindsight maybe not. The CB Overton and Johnny Bristol versions both use the same track while Ty and Georges version is definately a replayed different backing track.....

The 7" version of Ty and George on Sheridan House came out twice[i used to have both],one starts the same as the 12" version[Which is the version i kept of the 7"], the other Has the complete start of the song edited out and just starts where Ty Karim sings "Baby....! " at the beginning of the song[i sold that version because i felt it just lacked something......It did, the start of the record !].....

The Konchord label of "Keep on doin whatcha doin" is a repress which surfaced in the late 80s or early 90s to satisfy the demand for the Sheridan House release of Ten or so years earlier..

Good example though of how you cant keep a good tune down :lol:

Ivor

Hi there Ivor, my Beauty, I hope that you are very, very well!

Spot on re the CB Overton & JB being the same track and Ty & George is the same 'tune' but replayed/recorded.

Thanks also for confirming the KonKord is a 2nd Press. I thought so too, but Cunnie saw it the other way round which is why I asked for confirmation. Top job mate (not you Martin :D:lol: ).

Promise I'll pay the Ex Mrs a visit before we're very much older and get you that there Soul record jobby we talked about! :ohmy:

Promise!

:D

Sean

Social source share

Hello Sean,

Good example though of how you cant keep a good tune down :D

Ivor

Nice one Ivor I'm going to sound really knowledgeable about Modern Soul on the sleevenotes now; whereas we all know the real truth!

Social source share

Yep, sounds like exactly the same backing track though not quite as good vocal as Ty, still an excellent record. Could you tell me if there are any matrix numbers different from the label or does that number on the label indicate 1964?

Thanks very much, this is all intriguing.

Like you say Ady, this is intriguing. I was looking at this same thing a few years ago as I collected the label. The matrix numbers on the vinyl are exactly the same as on the label.

I came to the conclusion this was a date system because on one of the other releases it got pressed down at Monarch, they kindly put a delta in of 52064 on the styrene, & 33064 on the label. Both numbers making it March 1964.

Interesting point now is, on the ROCK 45, with the same backing as Mel Williams - Can It Be Me, the date on the label is Feb 1965. Must try & find out the date of "Can It Be Me".

Regards,

A very sad label collector Pottsy :D

post-2021-1224234943_thumb.jpg

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

Think Pottsy has given you the info you needed Ady?

That pile of Bit 45s look great...I'm almost tempted to see if I can get a few more on the label but suppose that will involve a 2nd 28th mortgage :no::D

Social source share

Like you say Ady, this is intriguing. I was looking at this same thing a few years ago as I collected the label. The matrix numbers on the vinyl are exactly the same as on the label.

I came to the conclusion this was a date system because on one of the other releases it got pressed down at Monarch, they kindly put a delta in of 52064 on the styrene, & 33064 on the label. Both numbers making it March 1964.

Interesting point now is, on the ROCK 45, with the same backing as Mel Williams - Can It Be Me, the date on the label is Feb 1965. Must try & find out the date of "Can It Be Me".

Regards,

A very sad label collector Pottsy :P

Thanks Ady, we have Mel Williams as 1966. It looks like there was a lot of BT swapping in LA in the mid 60s!

Social source share

Good example though of how you cant keep a good tune down :D

Ivor

Dear Boy,

Thank you so much for making my job even bleeding harder! Is the 7" without the intro just the same as the 7" with the intro in all other respects? Could you give me the catalogue number, matrix and any other relevant bits to compare to the no intro verson please? AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Ady

Social source share

I'd not heard of the 'shorter' version of the Sheridan House 7" either! :thumbsup:

I only knew of the one at around 4 minutes and of course both of the 12" releases.

Here's some clearer scans of a couple of them... for posterity! :thumbsup:

post-5094-1224366751_thumb.jpg

post-5094-1224366777_thumb.jpg

That 'other' version Ady talks about does sound intrigueing though I must admit - let us (all) know if you find out anything about it won't you Ady?

Social source share

I'd not heard of the 'shorter' version of the Sheridan House 7" either! :thumbsup:

I only knew of the one at around 4 minutes and of course both of the 12" releases.

Here's some clearer scans of a couple of them... for posterity! :thumbsup:

post-5094-1224366751_thumb.jpg

post-5094-1224366777_thumb.jpg

That 'other' version Ady talks about does sound intrigueing though I must admit - let us (all) know if you find out anything about it won't you Ady?

I will John but you might have to read it from the CD booklet; or is that mean of me? Kent (Harris not the label!) will be getting the royalties after all.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Dear Boy,

Thank you so much for making my job even bleeding harder! Is the 7" without the intro just the same as the 7" with the intro in all other respects? Could you give me the catalogue number, matrix and any other relevant bits to compare to the no intro verson please? AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Ady

Hello mate,

didnt want to complicate things for you,heres what i have.....

This is the 7" i still have [the full intro version as on the 12" version].

KEEP ON DOIN`WHATCHA DOIN`[PART1] SHERIDAN HOUSE SH-78002-A TIME: 4:10

number in run out groove SHRG -002-A RE1 L4387

KEEP ON DOIN`WHATCHA DOIN`[PART11] SHERIDAN HOUSE SH-78002-B TIME:3:47

number in run out groove SHRG -002-B L-4387-X

Unfortunately,i dont have the other version anymore,so cant give you the relevant details but from memory the label details and everything were identical because i remember being surprised at finding a different mix and was inspecting the labels to see any difference. I think they were the same Ady.........

The different short intro version, i think, went off to Johnny Manship in trades for more vinyl[Where else !],so you could ask John if he has a record of who bought it.[He may still have it you never know].... Maybe a couple of years back i think.......

Finally, just a quick note on the KON-CHORD 12" release of the above track. Just noticed someone selling it as the bonefide original on ebay right now. He says the Sheridan House release is the repress ...? huh.gif

I think thats bollocks because if you look at the KON-CHORD release the catalogue number is identical

SH-78002-A with the SH standing for SHERIDAN HOUSE................[meaning therefore, DR WATSON ,that SHERIDAN HOUSE was the earlier release !

Plus, i had the Sheridan house version a good few years before a bucketload of the KON-CHORD version turned up as i stated in the earlier post.

If anyone needs any other crimes solving just let us have em...........

This could end up giving EASTENDERS or CORONATION STREET a run for their money eh ?

GOOD LUCK ADY :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert