Help Wanted

Hello to everybody, don't know why I haven't used this site before.

I've been glancing at just a few of the posts on this site and can't help but notice the wide and varied opinions of people on Northern Soul (very interesting).

Anyway could anybody recommend any Northern tunes for between £10 -£20? It's just that I've recently started buying records again (even tho' I can't really afford to!) and I'd like to buy a few good tunes, but I'm reluctant to spend money blindly. You know what it's like you go in a record shop with money burning a hole in your pocket, so you ending up buying anything, get it home and wish you'd bought something else. So I'm after some suggestions.

I don't care if they are reissues. I'd like to say money's no object, but with a wife and 3 kids I can't. I've only got about 250 - 300 soul singles and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface yet. Like I said any help and recommendations would be appreciated.

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

If you mean originals for under £25 try getting Pat Brady's email list. He often sends out a list of thousands of tracks for that kind of price.

Recently I got for ten and fifteen respectively:

Bud Harper -But I couldn't, an old Rnb type from Stafford days and

Ascots - Miss Heartbreaker. No where near as rare as Anytime or the superb Another day, but great anyway.

I also but up things not played by artists who are having rare sounds played currently eg Johnnie Mae Mathews - I have no choice, was massive a few years ago, so I bought up three or four of her tracks blind all for about a tenner each. Some lovely tunes in there and WHAT a voice.

Social source share

Just a few, various styles, all superb IMO ;-)

Syl Johnson - Try Me - Twilight

Syl Johnson -The Same Kind A Thing - Twinight

Lorraine Rudolph - Keep Coming Back For More - Jet Stream

Betty LaVette -I'm Just A Fool For You/Stand Up Like A Man - Calla

Jean Wells - With This Love And What You've Got - Calla

Eddie & Ernie - Outcast - Eastern

Accents - New Girl - M-Pac

Carl Carlton - I Can Feel It - Backbeat

Jimmy Norman - This I Beg Of You - Samar

Four Sonics - It's Easier Said Than Done - Sport

Visit Andy Dysons site, there are 100's on there and I'm updating now and then (not as often as I should) ;-) Still some additions to put up to get it fully up and running.

>>Andy Dyson Records<<

Social source share

Guest micksmith

GET TO ONE OF THE RECORD FAIRS I'M AT. I'LL SELL YOU SOME GREAT TRACKS FOR UNDER £20. E-MAIL ME FOR DATES.

mjrecords@hotmail.com

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Hi Supercorsa - welcome to Soul Source.

Why not go to 'The Soul Club Jukebox' and listen to some of the thousands of northern tunes on that. Compile yourself a list of the ones you really like, which can then be the basis of your future search.

If you want to know rough prices of those that you like and want then put a post up here and we'll all help you out with current values, your chances of getting the record, who might be selling it and whether it has been reissued/booted.

The Soul Club Jukebox is on the following link. Good luck.

https://the.soulclub.org/

Brian

Social source share

Guest 71TRSC

I'd agree as to drawing up a list of stuff you want. Howevever you can be reactive and wait for it to turn up on a list or be proactive and go looking for it on ebay.com. I am too skint to pay more than £25.00 for a track but by shopping around on ebay for cheaper stuff you can make significant savings. For example as mentioned above a good tune is Willie Harper which I have seen listed for £25.00. I got it a few weeks ago from the good ole us of a for about $14.00 including postage which is £7 or £8. And the money you save you can spend on more records!

Social source share

Hello Supercorsa,

Here's some '60s recommendations from me - all should cost you less than £20 each (some maybe even far less!):

THE FIVE STAIRSTEPS: Change Of Pace (Windy City)

THE BABIES: The Hand Of Fate (Dunhill)

THE PROPHETS: My Kind Of Girl (Stephanye)

THE PRECISIONS: Instant Heartbreak (Drew)

LOUIS CURRY: I'll Try Again Tomorrow/A Toast To You (M-S)

THE OCCASIONS: There's No You (Big Jim)

MARY WELLS: Keep Me In Suspense (Atco)

SUPERLATIVES: Lonely In A Crowd (Westbound)

THE SHIRELLES: March (You'll Be Sorry) (Scepter)

BOSS FOUR: Walkin' By (Rim)

JIMMY INTERVAL: Somebody To Love (Columbia)

Good luck..........

Gene

Social source share

If your interested in trying before buying I have around 18 thousand soul tracks accessible on the internet.

My pesonal site currently has around 9000 but I do offer FTP access to my full quota.

Karen x

Social source share

If you´re also interessted in reissues you might want to take a look at this website from Germany

www.soulflat.de

they have an english version. mostly cds and lps but also 7" reissues and sometimes low-price originals. whatever,they are normally below british prices. Might be worth trying

Miriam

Social source share

Hiya Sweetheart,

I´m in Barcelona at the moment, giving german classes at the university. Been here four weeks, staying three more. For this reason it seems i wont be able to come before Cleethorpes : (

Also Martin and me will move in May and everzthing is very busy... Maybe I can come for one ight on a cheap flight or something.

Why don´t you come to Germany? There´s always a spare bed for you...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Well maybe not in May.

I can see you want me to carry a load of boxes for you heh heh.

Cool job, getting to work in Barcelona. I will send you over a Celtic top, you can wear it next week. You and about 20,000 others.

I am missing Cleethorpes this year. I have tickets for all the England games in Portugal, AND 2 for Germany Holland. Cant wait. It does mean tho that I miss Michelle and Jack's wedding too :-(

Social source share

Hi Karen

How can i get to listen to the soul tunes you have from the web? get back to me soul girl..cheers..

Steve..Manchester...

Steve, for the ftp access, there are details of how to obtain access here:

url removed by site

edited by site

url removed, sorry advertising selling 1000s of soul tracks is not what this site is about

Edited by mike-
Social source share

followed the link and read this...

So, with this in mind - perhaps you wouldnt mind donating a little something to keep this service alive? For those that do donate.. you shall be rewarded with access to my full 16000+ files :o)

someone tell me why this is "acceptable"

Social source share

Well once again thanks for the suggestions. I've managed to buy the following (from your suggestions)within the past couple of weeks:

SUPERLATIVES: Lonely In A Crowd (Westbound)

MARY WELLS: Keep Me In Suspense (Atco)

I must say they are all good and also which makes it better for me, tunes that I hadn't heard before.

Social source share

followed the link and read this...

someone tell me why this is "acceptable"

Bloody hell.. it's not like it's unaccectable.. for gods sake.. there are already over 9000 yes 9 bloody thousand tracks on my site that are for free.. im not saying you HAVE to pay to get more Im asking for donations to counteract the £25.99 I PERSONALLY PAY for you all to enjoy what is there and more.

If you dont want to donate then dont, but please, dont winge and complain when others dont!

In the two years plus I have provided this invaluable service, irrespective of individuals who think I dont, I have earned probably around 70 quid. Didnt even cover 3 months did it. Im not in it for me.. Im in it to keep the soul alive.

As you were!

Social source share

Shit again.. I was merrily replying whilst logged out.

I do not require, request or deem necessary any donation. Anyone is more than welcome to ask for tracks from me as they do on a daily basis. The donation part is to try to justify my monthly spend on my additonal broadband connection for the music. Yes,.. I have a separate broadband connection for the music on my site. I pay extra for you to listen to the music on my site over and above my personal surfing broadband..... that makes me either weird or unique here. I have two broadband services coming into my house. a 650k for you and a 1mb for me. My broadband costs me in total £95.00 per month. My website costs £15 per month with additional bandwith issues that I wont go into, coupled with the hours I spend here every day to ensure that new sounds are uploaded etcetra..

Mike... I feel very let down that you would even suggest that I am in this for the money.

Social source share

JUST TO REMIND YOU OF MIKE'S RECENT POSTING:

"Please do not use soul source to advertise sites that offer the illegal download of soul tracks in exchange for "donations"

Dunno why or how such things have seemed to become acceptable, but in my view it stinks

Any future posts doing it will be dropped"

CAN'T GET ANY PLAINER THAN THAT......

Social source share

Well Pete Deller, who ever you are... downloads are illegal whether it be for donations or not so this site is in breach too. Donations aren't for the files - it's for the bandwidth.

Don't get all high and mighty just because people can't afford to give everything away for free.

Can't get any plainer than that? I can... f*** you!

Social source share

Well Guest, whoever YOU are - and you obviously haven't got the guts to give your name, so your post means nothing!!

As for your sad, abusive views, I'm pretty sure it's the only way you know how to communicate. If you think this site is in breach, why dont you tell us all why it's in breach? Oh, and don't forget to leave your name next time. As for your closing sentiment - mutual feelings!!

Gene

Social source share

Yes it was me.. this silly forum never remembers my cookie?? So, the FU bit was probably a bit forward... apologies for that.

This site always used to have files uploaded for sharing... looks like you have removed those now then - don't often look over whole site all the time.

I'm off for a haircut now... I will take it out on my hairdresser wink.gif

Social source share

Thankfully, my wife understands me ("not bad for a fiver, eh luv"!!!!!)

Gene

LOL!!! Suddenly I feel very nieve. I hear that all the time.

Jayne.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few, various styles, all superb IMO ;-)

Syl Johnson -The Same Kind A Thing - Twinight

Betty LaVette  -I'm Just A Fool For You/Stand Up Like A Man - Calla

Jean Wells - With This Love And What You've Got - Calla

Eddie & Ernie - Outcast - Eastern

Accents - New Girl - M-Pac

Carl Carlton - I Can Feel It - Backbeat

Jimmy Norman - This I Beg Of You - Samar

Four Sonics - It's Easier Said Than Done - Sport

Visit Andy Dysons site, there are 100's on there and I'm updating now and then (not as often as I should) ;-)  Still some additions to put up to get it fully up and running.

>>Andy Dyson Records<<

Echoing ITM's comments. Just picked up the Jimmy Norman (Samar) track cheap off t'Bay..... it's BRILLIANT!

Thanx for the tip .... see! QUALITY doesn't have to cost the earth.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!