Anybody Heard This Jennifer Hudson "spotlight"

Guest Gogs

heard this for the first time tonight and was straight up to the jukebox to see who the singer was

Google Video

anybody else like this?

It's been "available" via web sites and YouTube for a while now.... 3-4 months I think....

Gaining more "commercial" exposure via radio the last few weeks as it's the debut single from her first album which was released on September 30th....

just noticed JH has had embedding disabled on her YT site (and had YT do same on others who've uploaded it) so the above shows "not available".... you can > SEE VIDEO HERE < instead

She was first seen as one of the "finalists" on American Idol a few years ago....

Then went on to star in "Dreamgirls" alongside Beyonce....

This is her "live" performance of a "60's soul type thing" from the film....

"> Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

I love the remix version better seems to have more umphh about it.

Which one Dawn.... there's a "few" up on YouTube.... only listened to a couple of them very briefly over last month or so as had to stop before my ears bled :D ....

I just have this "problem" with remixes in that they tend to mostly spoil the ethos of what the track is aimed at.... I'm a believer that a track should be heard as it was originally recorded.... I do, however, concede that very, very occasionally a remix can do a tune justice in it's "own" right as a tune....

Suppose I'm old school, masybe, as it's a bit like my view on records "pitched" up or down.... but that's a different thread so don't get me started :D .... top and bottom, if a tune is good enough it doesn't need "altering" :ohmy: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Original Dreamgirls stage play with Jennifer Holiday singing this song was from the 1980's so it has been available on a soundtrack for a long time.

Social source share

Thats cool, but ya gonna hate these two though :ohmy::D

Yep.... ears bleeding here :lol: .... pretty much similar to the remix featuring Nonscence (the name says it all :lol: )....

Different again are the Moto Blanco mix (HERE) which is very "housy" IMO and the Johnny Vicious mix (HERE) which is, perhaps, more "garagey"IMO.... buy hey, what do I know re placing stuff in genre styles like this :D ....

Plus there's others to be found....

There'll soon be more mixes than "Billboard slots" :P ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

heard this for the first time tonight and was straight up to the jukebox to see who the singer was

Google Video

anybody else like this?

this gets constantly played on the radio where i am at least. good r&b record but i don't understand why it would cross over to any non-mainstream scene more than any other good r&b record. maybe it's not mainstream in the uk?

Social source share

this gets constantly played on the radio where i am at least. good r&b record but i don't understand why it would cross over to any non-mainstream scene more than any other good r&b record. maybe it's not mainstream in the uk?

As said earlier Bob, it's getting loads of mainstream radio airplay now.... don't think it's "crossing over" it's just being "discussed" for what it is.... although Sean did state earlier that the UK Modern Soul gave it some plays.... not being a regular attendee at these "boom boom" ( :D ) clubs I can't comment on that other than to say it does have that type of vibe to have been played in them....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

I love the remix version better seems to have more umphh about it.

Agreed - the remix deefinately has the edge , but obviously programmers are going to go with the radio edit in respect of airplay ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Google Video

anybody else like this?

Excellent, similer and almost as good as Kelly Rowland's version of Bobby Womack's Daylight from earlier in the year.

It's been played on Solar Radio [(SKY 0129) or Internet] since June and the album came out last month. She actually won Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Dreamgirls and recently appeared in the feature film of Sex in the City. The best track on her album is from the SITC soundtrack - "All Dressed in Love" a late 70's Thelma Houston style stormer and one of my records of the year so far

It just builds and builds !

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c-NuC9iCkUY

Edited by stowtime
Social source share

Its only sounds of this nature that tend to become 'mainstream r&b' hits in the UK, Bob. The last big one was probably Alicia Keys "You Don't Know My Name". It's quite a bit more palatable, as a sound, to the UK ear, probably because even though its current it has a retro 'feel'... and we relate to what we know and 'hear a lot of' much easier and tend to struggle with the sound of 'contemporary' r&b as chart material.

It follows in the tradition of sounds like Mary Wells "My Guy"... progressed through Freda Payne "Band Of Gold" and Alicia Keys etc.

It also explains why Motown sounding 4/4 Pop material gets played on the UK 'Soul' scene over most contemporary R&B and will be why Gogs mentioned it on Soul Source.

Sean

Social source share

Its only sounds of this nature that tend to become 'mainstream r&b' hits in the UK, Bob. The last big one was probably Alicia Keys "You Don't Know My Name". It's quite a bit more palatable, as a sound, to the UK ear, probably because even though its current it has a retro 'feel'... and we relate to what we know and 'hear a lot of' much easier and tend to struggle with the sound of 'contemporary' r&b as chart material.

It follows in the tradition of sounds like Mary Wells "My Guy"... progressed through Freda Payne "Band Of Gold" and Alicia Keys etc.

It also explains why Motown sounding 4/4 Pop material gets played on the UK 'Soul' scene over most contemporary R&B and will be why Gogs mentioned it on Soul Source.

Sean

it doesn't sound that retro to me, though, it sounds like other R&B that's out there now. that was my only comment. I like the record. I understand why something like 'step in the name of love' (which has an almost main ingredient type sound) would be considered more retro, plus there are some other r&b records out there now that are getting mainstream radio play that sound more retro -- e.g. alicia keyes teenage love affair, that song that has that reggae/dub type sample that I'm blanking on right now (I'll think of it...), etc.

Social source share

it doesn't sound that retro to me, though, it sounds like other R&B that's out there now. that was my only comment. I like the record. I understand why something like 'step in the name of love' (which has an almost main ingredient type sound) would be considered more retro, plus there are some other r&b records out there now that are getting mainstream radio play that sound more retro -- e.g. alicia keyes teenage love affair, that song that has that reggae/dub type sample that I'm blanking on right now (I'll think of it...), etc.

Think you might have to come and spend a couple of years in the UK and be subjected to the Radio, TV, and Club music we endure to understand why I reckon this particular track might be of 'special interest' to SS members, Bob.

US Radio is far more 'open' to Soul & RnB as a general rule.

Suggest we House Swap for 6 months, just to get things started :-)

:D

Sean

Social source share

It's quite good isn't it, but there's a lot more stuff out there that's even better. It's just the tip of the iceberg!

don't usually listen to modern stuff but i liked this right away (not as keen on remix though) and if this is just the "tip of the iceberg" i think i have been missing out :P gonna have to check out all these other tracks mentioned now.

Social source share

Spotlight is out in the UK Monday 20th October by all accounts.

Heard this out in the summer, was not sure what it was at the time so looked it up and then bought the CD, it sounds like something else that i can't put my finger on

the radio edit is going to be issued as a limited 7" 45 as well

It will cross on to the Northern floors as the beat is just right, its also a good tune to mix in to any spot :thumbsup:

Rob

Social source share

Heard this out in the summer, was not sure what it was at the time so looked it up and then bought the CD, it sounds like something else that i can't put my finger on

It will cross on to the Northern floors as the beat is just right, its also a good tune to mix in to any spot :thumbsup:

Rob

Just come in or getting ready to go out , Rob ? ..........

Hopefully " spotlight " will cross , but it depends if anyone will be prepared to tarnish their " image " :thumbsup: .......

Malc " ELK " Burton

Social source share

Heard it on the radio last week and thought it sounded good. Since then I must have heard it 50 times! One of lads is constantly playing it: Obviously has the right sound for 19 year olds and old stages like myself!!

Sharon

Love this tune, looking for a copy, anyone know if its on vinyl.

Barry

Edited by Guest
Social source share

It will cross on to the Northern floors as the beat is just right, its also a good tune to mix in to any spot thumbsup.gif

Rob

It says so above

Social source share

• 5 years later...

It will cross on to the Northern floors as the beat is just right, its also a good tune to mix in to any spot thumbsup.gif

Rob

Was this ever on a single?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!