Cd 1972 Live @ The Torch

Pauldonnelly

torchbadge1.gif

I've had several enquiries about the Torch C90 Audio Tape that Chris sent me earlier this week. Chris has ok'd the copying AND with the help of Soul Sourcer Toad we'll be transfering the audio tape over to a CD format therefore anyone wanting one simply send a £5 donation to me and I'll send you a copy back within 7 days.

I in turn will add £2.50 to each £5 received and send £7.50 to Noggers Charity

https://www.stroke.org.uk/fundraising/index.html

Considering its a live recording and THIRTY SIX years old, I for one was expecting a muffled recording however it sounds remarkably clear.

Side 1-

15 mins of Alan Day

30 mins of Tony Jebb

Side 2-

40 mins of Martyn Ellis

5 mins of Alan Day

Chris will be doing a track list this weekend as two records on the tape I have no idea what they are :D however the sheer excitement on pressing the play button on this piece of history was immense. Not only did I find myself waiting for each sound to come pounding out of the speakers with the excitement of a six year old on Xmas day but the piss take and camaraderie that was prevalent at Hose st is there for all to hear via the DJ exchanges, hardly any noise from the dance floor just three TOP dj's doing what they did best.

So if those that have already enquired about the tape please PM or email me at PaulDonnellyBP@aol.com I'll do the rest....

"That was Exus Track and now for Emanuel Laskey Peace loving man"

"What's wrong with this needle?"

"It's better than Manchester"

"Martyn Ellis on at 5-30am that'll clear the place"

..the £5 is to any UK address, outside the UK £6

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 66
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

NOW up to £210.....

if you would prefer to be nostalgic and require a C90 tape, no problem just let me know when placing your order.

Cliff Camfield..top man wants to pay £20 for his....come on lads and lasses lets make this a winner.

Ps...thanks to another soul sourcer who has offered to do the graphics for the CD cover for as Nogger would say "fook all"

Thanks everyone..

Pm or email me PaulDonnellyBP@aol.com

Social source share

torch3828.jpg

to Chris L 9TH oct 08

cheers mate...We'd been doing Bletsoe for 6 months in 72 when 2 of our lads went up to the Major Lance night in Dec 72, they came back and remember Eddie Dinn saying "f*** me Paul this place is the bollocks" so we all went up to Hose st in Jan 73 for the first time, then again in Feb and made plans to go the week later to watch the Ojays, we had been told the ojays had been canceeled and presumed the Torch had closed as rumours were rife every week that the local authoritys had got their way.

Then several of our lot got banged up for footy fighting and drug stuff in the same week and we all seem to go underground for a bit, next thing I remember we were up in Bolton at some sleaze pit called Troggs?

Was 16 when I went with mates who were 18 at the time, we're still as close as ever though NON of them kept 'at it' after vavas.

The Torch, I'm sure the old place shook the first time we went, the second I held onto them railings that overlooked the dance floor, smoked 20 fags, got through two packets of wrigleys and spoke to a bloke for three hours who said " thats it I'm off" and I never saw him again anywhere.

Happy Days.............. :lol::P

Social source share

torch3828.jpg

to Chris L 9TH oct 08

cheers mate...We'd been doing Bletsoe for 6 months in 72 when 2 of our lads went up to the Major Lance night in Dec 72, they came back and remember Eddie Dinn saying "f*** me Paul this place is the bollocks" so we all went up to Hose st in Jan 73 for the first time, then again in Feb and made plans to go the week later to watch the Ojays, we had been told the ojays had been canceeled and presumed the Torch had closed as rumours were rife every week that the local authoritys had got their way.

Then several of our lot got banged up for footy fighting and drug stuff in the same week and we all seem to go underground for a bit, next thing I remember we were up in Bolton at some sleaze pit called Troggs?

Was 16 when I went with mates who were 18 at the time, we're still as close as ever though NON of them kept 'at it' after vavas.

The Torch, I'm sure the old place shook the first time we went, the second I held onto them railings that overlooked the dance floor, smoked 20 fags, got through two packets of wrigleys and spoke to a bloke for three hours who said " thats it I'm off" and I never saw him again anywhere.

Happy Days.............. wink.gif:P

Can you see the 'bogs' bottom right ---below ground level---thats why they always filled up with piss and whatever else----fookin brilliant and dodgy as fook :lol:

Social source share

torch3828.jpg

to Chris L 9TH oct 08

Happy Days.............. wink.gif:P

Bloody hell---look at the place a reet mess---If I see Dogshit dave tonight :lol:ph34r.gif:D:D:thumbsup::lol::lol:

Social source share

Can you see the 'bogs' bottom right ---below ground level---thats why they always filled up with piss and whatever else----fookin brilliant and dodgy as fook :P

like the Piano at wigan, the railings that greeted 1ooo;s as they came through them front doors stood proud and strong during the fire...

I love the etching of the grip on the wall up to that balcony, you know what Jez I never went up there far to young, scared and niave.... :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

oh man---excellent view----major ,junior and the rest all on that stage-------what a photo, nice one mate.

Dogshit Dave---public enemy number 1 :) .

would of loved those railings.....how cool would they have looked outside my house.

Social source share

Paul

Would that be Phil Morgan who actually used to live in Tunstall from the Torch days. Not seen or spoke to him since those days if it is him ohmy.gif

the very same...he even gets a mention on the cd/tape by Jebby..

'ere goes, enjoy.......... wink.gif you owe me a Stella

https://www.prmorgan.com/page_3_northernsoul.html

Social source share

Guest thenogger

If i am not mistaken PHIL MORGAN now lifes and works in the U.S.A.

He used to life in a flat in HANLEY.

REGARDS TO YOU ALL.

thenogger

Social source share

If i am not mistaken PHIL MORGAN now lifes and works in the U.S.A.

He used to life in a flat in HANLEY.

REGARDS TO YOU ALL.

thenogger

Hey up Nogger

Ah so he's gone to America has he. I anna seen since the 70's. Used to be the best dressed man at the Torch he always had a white shirt and black trousers on can you remember? We used to say to him 'hey up Phil is that the only shirt you've got' :D

he was a sound youth anyway Phil was

Jez

Social source share

Are we talking Paypal on this one Paul?

:(

sorry mate don't do paypal...

Send £5 cash or chq made payable to Paul Donnelly to;

204 Stonald Road

Whittlesey

PETERBOROUGH

PE7 1QR

Please ensure the address you wish your cd to be sent to is included allow 7 days for delivery.

Many Thanks

Paul Donnelly

Social source share

WOW WHAT A TAPE AND SUCH HIGH QUALITY !

YOUR IN FOR A TREAT IF YOU BUY THIS.

JUST OFF TO GET JIFFY BAGS AND BLANK CDS SO AS I CAN POST THEM TO PAUL IN THE MORNING.

BEST

T

PS TAPE AVAILABLE TOO JUST ASK PAUL

UPDATE....

1- Thanks to Bro Mick, cheers mate

2- Thanks to Tim Fletcher in Cov, diamond bloke

3- Thanks to Chris L for the PM this morning, whenever you can mate

4- Thanks everyone who has helped raise a few quid for the stroke charity.

5- the first cds will be sent out to those that have sent in payments in so far, with a bit of luck you should recieve by the weekend, any others will be dealt with early part of next week.

6- I had to make an executive decison after Tim Fletcher suggested it might need TWO cd's for it to copy, with costs etc I suggested he should try and get in as much as he can, in the event he's got it all on one CD however it might, I stress might not be compatibale with some OLD cd players, works perfectly ok on PC and any DVD player...hope no one will be offended.

want a copy... a unique piece of Northern Soul History a 90min cd live from Hose St Tunstall...

Send £5 cash or chq made payable to Paul Donnelly to; (eveybody has told me they are too cheap)

204 Stonald Road

Whittlesey

PETERBOROUGH

PE7 1QR

Please ensure the address you wish your cd to be sent to is included allow 7 days for delivery.

Many Thanks

Paul Donnelly

Social source share

works been manic this last two days so had no time whatsoever to pack and post etc...Designated some time on Monday so those that have sent payments in for cd's and the audio tapes should get them Tuesday.

Those that have reserved but as yet have NOT sent payment in no problem however could you settle as soon as possible or let me know that you wish your order to be cancelled by pm or email.

I am soon going in hospital for an operation on my back and may be out the loop for a few weeks from Nov 10th onwards.

all the best PD

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

ALL gone off this morning, enjoy.

For those that attended hose street who have one coming, trust me even the hearing Jebby, Day and Martyn Ellis will make you smile, the tunes are predicatable to a degree though as a bit of fun would like those that receive it to start compiling a track listing as there ar three on the tape that I hvave no idea what they are.

For those that didn't go to Hose St, its just another tape really but a tape thats part of our History.

Any feedback would be appreciated as you never know it might, just might convince one more person to help the Stroke Foundation. Will be sending your donations to them Oct 31st.

Send £5 cash or chq made payable to Paul Donnelly to; (eveybody has told me they are too cheap)

204 Stonald Road

Whittlesey

PETERBOROUGH

PE7 1QR

Many Thanks

Paul Donnelly

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

ALL gone off this morning, enjoy.

For those that attended hose street who have one coming, trust me even the hearing Jebby, Day and Martyn Ellis will make you smile, the tunes are predicatable to a degree though as a bit of fun would like those that receive it to start compiling a track listing as there ar three on the tape that I hvave no idea what they are.

For those that didn't go to Hose St, its just another tape really but a tape thats part of our History.

Any feedback would be appreciated as you never know it might, just might convince one more person to help the Stroke Foundation. Will be sending your donations to them Oct 31st.

204 Stonald Road

Whittlesey

PETERBOROUGH

PE7 1QR

Many Thanks

Paul Donnelly

Paul,

CD came this morning. The "BOLLOX" mate. Loved it and playing through again as I type this. Yeah, the sounds are predictable but what sounds they are. Back to the days before the net, cd's soul radio when all week one could only listen to ones own records or a tape of a mate's records. No wonder the coming weekend was on your mind all week when one had to really travel to hear these great sounds when they were at their hight.

Brings back just one word EXCITEMENT

TRACK LISTING

SIDE A

Exciters - Number One

Gerry & Paul - The Cat Walk

Luther Ingram Orch - Exus Trek (inst)

Valentines - Breakaway

Johnny Moore - Walk Like a Man

Sweet Things - I'm in a world of Trouble

Cindy Scott - I Love You Baby

Duke Browner - Crying Over You (inst)

Emmanuel Lasky - I'm a Peace Loving Man

J.J. Barnes - Our Love is in the Pocket

P.P. Arnold - Everything's Gonna Be Alright

Vibrations - Cause Your Mine

Jerry Cook - I Hurt on the Other Side

Soul Brothers Six - Thank You Baby

Royal Jokers - Love Game A-Z

Sam & Kitty - I Got Something Good

Superiors - What Would I do

Jimmy Thomas - Beautiful Night

Bobby Patterson - My Baby's Coming Back to Me

Jason Knight - Our Love is Getting Stronger

Sequins - A case of Love

SIDE B

Sebastian Williams - Shucks

P.P. Arnold - Everythings Gonna Be Alright

Fathers Angels - Bok to Bach

Maxine Brown - One in a Million

Perlean Gray - I Don't Want To Cry

Carolyn Franklin - Reality

Roscoe Shelton - Running For My Life

Billy ShaRae - I'm Gone

Emile Griffith - Goin Goin Gone

Johnny Wyatt - This Thing Called Love

Toys - I Got My Heart Set On You

Lorenzo Manley - (I'm Gonna) Swoop Down On You

29.30 ??????????????????? - Peaches & Herb - I need Your Love So Desperately (thanks to Ric-Tic)

Lorraine Chandler - I Can't Hold On

Clara Ward - The Right Direction

Guy Darrell - I've Been Hurt (amended to Ray Whitley NOT Guy Darrell)

Jerry Cook - I Hurt on the Other Side

Gloria Jones - Come Go With Me

John Barry ?????? - Uptight (inst) - edit to say this is by Henry Jerome (thanks to AlanB)

Barbara & Brenda - Never Love a Robin

Shirelles - Last Minute Miracle

A couple of ??????? in there, perhaps someone else can fill in.

A whopping slice of Northern nostalgia

Thanks again Paul.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Mine arrived this morning just listening to it now. Forkin Brilliant stuff. Takes me back years. Many thanks to all involved and hope ya make a good fair squid for the charity

Regards

Ian

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I haven't heard the CD but this would be Henry Jerome I think.

Alan

I've just taken another listen to the CD and I think you're right. I'd forgotten about Henry Jerome, many years since I've heard it. John Barry also did a version which also I haven't heard for many years. Have amended the track list.

Thanks

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!