Suinoz

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• 1 month later...

carrying on from the sales thread that just got locked.....

this has to be the far superior version IMHO. try and put out of mind the label and price differences between this and the JB version and listen to the actual record.....this wins out by a mile :thumbsup:

Social source share

as good a singers Melvin Davis and Steve Mancha are, for me their version just doesn't compare to the version by Jackie Beavers and if honest when listening can probably see why it was left in the can. Jackie Beavers is just one of the best records to come out of Detroit, class.

Social source share

as good a singers Melvin Davis and Steve Mancha are, for me their version just doesn't compare to the version by Jackie Beavers and if honest when listening can probably see why it was left in the can. Jackie Beavers is just one of the best records to come out of Detroit, class.

Not surprising really as the track was found with other unfinished takes wasn't it? We had a debate about the Revilot/Groovesville/Solid Hitbound stuff found by Martin Koppell back in the early 90s a while back. The best of the bunch is great unfinished/demo song by LV Johnson - Recipe. It has distinct similarities with Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You which as you know is also a Don Davis/Groovsville production.

I love ALL the Groovesville/Solid Hitbound stuff. For me it epitomises the music probably better than any other labels/production company

Social source share

The best of the bunch is great unfinished/demo song by LV Johnson - Recipe. It has distinct similarities with Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You which as you know is also a Don Davis/Groovsville production.

Agreed, "Recipe" is an AWESOME tune, Dave.

Made a Sevens 45 over here with Edwin's "You're My Mellow" on the reverse.

Sean

Social source share

Hearing the Melvin Davis & Steve Mancha version brings back some great memories of hearing Melvin singing it live with his Son Brian at Rob Wigley's Prestatyn thank you party.

Were about 30 of us in a small room in Worksop & me & Gary Walsh were sat down having a beer with Richie Pitts & Troy Keyes.

Priceless moment & thats why the Melvin version always does it for me.

Social source share

Hearing the Melvin Davis & Steve Mancha version brings back some great memories of hearing Melvin singing it live with his Son Brian at Rob Wigley's Prestatyn thank you party.

Were about 30 of us in a small room in Worksop & me & Gary Walsh were sat down having a beer with Richie Pitts & Troy Keyes.

Priceless moment & thats why the Melvin version always does it for me.

:shhh:

Bloody Name Dropper!!!

You had a Beer with Gary Walsh!

Don't believe ya! :D

:wave:

Social source share

Agreed, "Recipe" is an AWESOME tune, Dave.

Made a Sevens 45 over here with Edwin's "You're My Mellow" on the reverse.

Sean

I've asked this before but...is there a promo of this? (or a test pressing like Tim did for the Connoissuer 45s he did? I'm only missing this and the Joey Kingfish disc on promos. Would be nice to complete the set.

Social source share

I've asked this before but...is there a promo of this? (or a test pressing like Tim did for the Connoissuer 45s he did? I'm only missing this and the Joey Kingfish disc on promos. Would be nice to complete the set.

Dunno for sure Dave.

Rod Dearlove played it, at Yarmouth, before it came out on Sevens.

May only have been an acetate. Don't remember seeing the label.

:shhh:

Sean

Social source share

Dunno for sure Dave.

Rod Dearlove played it, at Yarmouth, before it came out on Sevens.

May only have been an acetate. Don't remember seeing the label.

:yes:

Sean

Hi Sean,

Well you live and learn. As far as I can remember it was part of a master tape haul that MK got when he purchased the catalogue from Don Davis. I wasn't aware of an acetate. Any scans of it anywhere that you know of?

Social source share

Hi Sean,

Well you live and learn. As far as I can remember it was part of a master tape haul that MK got when he purchased the catalogue from Don Davis. I wasn't aware of an acetate. Any scans of it anywhere that you know of?

Sorry Dave for misleading, I should have realised how what I wrote could have been misconstrued - what I meant was that he played it before the Sevens release (probably) off an acetate that was done here in the UK! i.e. Not from a Detroit acetate.

In fact, he may have actually played it off a CDR (CD Decks are put to good use at Yarmouth) I didn't see what he played it off... but all I know is he did play it before the Sevens release... and it was an overnight sensation - probably 'the tune' of that particular weekend.

Doubt very much if it was off an original acetate and I'm sure you're right in that it was a Master Tape only track from Martin, most probably via Tim.

Was only trying to answer the question re PROMOS... If their ever was a Sevens PROMO... Like you, I aint seen one - (but Rod did play it before the actual issue became available to all!).

Hope that makes sense.

Sean

Social source share

Sorry Dave for misleading, I should have realised how what I wrote could have been misconstrued - what I meant was that he played it before the Sevens release (probably) off an acetate that was done here in the UK! i.e. Not from a Detroit acetate.

In fact, he may have actually played it off a CDR (CD Decks are put to good use at Yarmouth) I didn't see what he played it off... but all I know is he did play it before the Sevens release... and it was an overnight sensation - probably 'the tune' of that particular weekend.

Doubt very much if it was off an original acetate and I'm sure you're right in that it was a Master Tape only track from Martin, most probably via Tim.

Was only trying to answer the question re PROMOS... If their ever was a Sevens PROMO... Like you, I aint seen one - (but Rod did play it before the actual issue became available to all!).

Hope that makes sense.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Ah got you now. If anyone does see a legitimate W/Promo of the Sevens disc I'd be interested in a knock please. It's one of my all time favourite tracks. I've asked Tim but he hasn't any and he's not sure if there were any TPs made although the Connoissuer disc were demo'd.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!