An Absolute Stunner

Pete S

There's a reggae record that I absolutely love, one of the most soulful reggae vocals there is, by The Uniques entitles Out Of Love. What I didn't realise is that it's a cover of a Manhattans number called I'm the one that love forgot. I just wondered if anyone could put the whole Manhattans track up here because the minute long clip below is absolutely mind blowing, one of the most haunting tracks I've ever heard I think.

The Manhattans is below and I'll put the link to The Uniques version below that one.

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Pretenders version, with female lead, on Carnival is equally exquisite. Not much to choose between their, the Manhattans and the Uniques versions IMO.

There's also a nice 1974 Johnnie Clarke record, "Baby Don't Go", that uses the Uniques original 1968 backing track.

Social source share

All I can say Pete is WOW on both counts...can't decide between them for they both stand alone as outstanding records but If I was pushed i'd go for the Uniques version purely for the fact I love my reggae sounds...

Top draw...nice one!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

All I can say Pete is WOW on both counts...can't decide between them for they both stand alone as outstanding records but If I was pushed i'd go for the Uniques version purely for the fact I love my reggae sounds...

Top draw...nice one!! :thumbup:

The only problem with the Trojan 7" is that it cuts off about 15 seconds before the end, that doesn't sound like much but Slim does some great soul wailing on the fade out, I'll see if I've still got the longer version. Also, on some copies, the talking intro at the start is way clearer than on others. I have this on a Jamaican label, Tramp, full issue, but poor condition so I won't use that.

Social source share

was sure i'd mentioned the Manhattans version on here before, because Out of Love has come up a few times. my copy of the Manhattans is on 'Boo', any one know that label, is it a boot or something? just picked it up a few years back for 50p when i saw the title and wondered if it was the same song as 'Out of Love'...

ah, just looked on Manship and it's a repro, with Brothers of Soul on the other side

Edited by michael-j
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert