Those Funny Northern Soul Tracks

Hi everyone! Long time lurker new poster here.

Anyway, I'm doing a little Northern Compilation for some friends and I got to thinking. Somewhere in my collection I have a few tracks that became big in the clubs but weren't originally 'soul' songs. Stuff like the theme from Joe90.

Can you all help me out with some other suggestions so I could burn up a disc of this kind of stuff?

Much appreciated

:ohmy:

Social source share

• Replies 95
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anyway, I'm doing a little Northern Compilation for some friends and I got to thinking. Somewhere in my collection I have a few tracks that became big in the clubs but weren't originally 'soul' songs. Stuff like the theme from Joe90.

Can you all help me out with some other suggestions so I could burn up a disc of this kind of stuff?

Much appreciated

:thumbsup:

link

Police story- Pat williams- Absolute Crap!

Social source share

:thumbsup:

link

Larry Trider - Carbon Copy

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

..Just came across this today(!!)

RE:1976 - 70's Rock group Babe Ruth played on Soul scene-'Elusive' was the track

Re funny NS trax-looked through the entries..

...no mention of 'Nine times out of ten'-Muriel ?

or....'Magic Carpet Ride'-Kiki Dee

or even....Goodbye, nothing to say..(Curly Wurly man)

..if we are going to get really picky... :lol:

Social source share

Guest miff

1976 - 70's Rock group Babe Ruth played on Soul scene

Top record of its day , I recon would still get some dance floor action played at the right venue. time of night , I have just got hold of a new copy US Capitol demo and seem to play it at least once a week Top Soul Tune No top dance tune to right. Let us not forget the soul scene is a dance scene after all . :lol:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

...no mention of 'Nine times out of ten'-Muriel ?

or....'Magic Carpet Ride'-Kiki Dee

link

Hmm i don't think it's right to dis classic youth club sounds... Muriel Day btw.

:lol:

Social source share

Miff, I think the US version was a different one to the the UK one - they had a different vocalist but same backing track - the UK one was the first and the one thats well known. You can tell the difference when she sings "when it suddenly went dark", on one version it's sung 'straight' and on the other she goes up at the end of the line. All very trainspotterish over a forgotten and generally despised record but I quite like it personally.

Social source share

George Lemons - Fascinating girl

Carstairs - It really hurts me girl

James Coit - Black power

link

Pete, this is a serious question.

If the Carstairs track is not soul then what is it?

I agree on the other 2 you listed but not that one.

Social source share

Definitely Carstairs.  I am unanimous on that one.  :lol:

link

Youv'e got to be jokeing "It Really Hurts Me Girl" Carstairs is A Soul Classic allways has been always will be it never was no country & western record that became a Soul Classic....It is what it is I bought this as a New Release in 1973 @ our local Record Shop Hearsay in Hemel Hempstead & It was in the Soul Section....it was on Red Coach & cost 1 pound 25p

Keep @ It

Jon Buck

Social source share

Youv'e got to be jokeing "It Really Hurts Me Girl" Carstairs is A Soul Classic allways has been always will be it never was no country & western record that became a Soul Classic....It is what it is I bought this as a New Release in 1973 @ our local Record Shop Hearsay in Hemel Hempstead & It was in the Soul Section....it was on Red Coach & cost 1 pound 25p

Keep @ It

Jon Buck

link

Totally agree, 100% soul classic.

Social source share

Now this may be my ever hazey memory, but im sure i can remember Andy Williams-House of Bamboo being played at some venues in the past.

link

I did hear that Barry Manalow It's A Miracle was played in the late 70s anyone remember.

Someone gave my sister a tape years ago with some good stuff on it and a few dodgy tracks. I found a few copies of one of the tracks in a Junk shop all in mint condition and they have haunted me ever since. The track was "Toody" by Angels One Five on Pye.. Bloody Awful. I don't actually remember it being played. Does anyone else?

Paul

Social source share

Now this may be my ever hazey memory, but im sure i can remember Andy Williams-House of Bamboo being played at some venues in the past.

link

Yes & just for the Crack I played Kathy Kirby's "Secret Love" @ Leighton Buzzard in 1986 & people did dance to it, & I was asked for it a few times after that....

Keep @ It

Jon Buck

Social source share

Yes & just for the Crack I played Kathy Kirby's "Secret Love" @ Leighton Buzzard in 1986 & people did dance to it, & I was asked for it a few times after that....

Keep @ It 

Jon Buck

link

Heard that one played before as well. DJ at Sleaford on sunday played the c/w of Manhattan Transfers-Chansen D'Amour, absolutely filled the floor with an amazing soul sound. Forgot to ask what it was called though, will try and find out.

Social source share

Keep @ It

Jon Buck

link

I'm not joking - it's all down to personal preferences and I hate that record, the vocal is horrible.. it's just unlistenable. Just cos you bought it in 1973 on a pressing, which those pink ones are, doesn't mean I have to like it does it? I bought In Orbit in 1973 but I don't like it now...

Social source share

Ok point taken, It would sound better if you said you didn't like it, instead of it being rubbish.....

Jon Buck

link

OK. I really don't like it. I think I am prejudiced against it for what it stands for as well but I do honestly think it is a poor record with no redeeming features. Like George Lemons and Larry Houston.

Social source share

Oh you lot are just too easy to wind up, I'm going to take the dogs a walk and by the time I get back I expect to receive loads of abuse for having no taste  :thumbsup:

link

Not at all. Respect your argument totally. Its just that stuff like the Carstairs, Montclairs, O'Jays etc even Tavares was the soul music i originally got into and holds the most nostalgia. Tended to work backwards (in time) from there.

I do have some 60's soul :)

Social source share

Guest rachel

OK. I really don't like it. I think I am prejudiced against it for what it stands for as well but I do honestly think it is a poor record with no redeeming features.  Like George Lemons and Larry Houston.

link

I must have cotton wool in my ears too, I hate the Carstairs. But it's not a 'novelty' record like Joe 90 etc.. or Peanut Duck :thumbsup:

Social source share

I nearly played Elusive out on Sunday evening.....heard it played later in the front room at Sheridans and wished I had done :) ....and yes, it did get some dancefloor action :D

It was the 76 UK issue...the first and harsher version of the two.

That was the fourth time I've heard it out in the last 6 months, each time as a request and each time getting a good response.

Always found it a bit ironic that it filled so many floors in 76, caused more glasses to shake off tables and contributed more to the deteriation of the pier than almost any other record.....UNTIL it became common knowledge who the artist was :D

Either it was/is a good record or not.....regardless of what it says on the label!

Dave

Social source share

Miff, I think the US version was a different one to the the UK one - they had a different vocalist but same backing track - the UK one was the first and the one thats well known.  You can tell the difference when she sings "when it suddenly went dark", on one version it's sung 'straight' and on the other she goes up at the end of the line.  All very trainspotterish over a forgotten and generally despised record but I quite like it personally.

link

Pete, someone played a white demo of the original version at the party after the Autumn Skeggy weekender and although it had been a heavy couple of days, I reckon that was a US copy.

Dave

Social source share

Reflections - Like Columbus did

Got one in the sales box, waiting to go on the bonfire in November :) if anyone wants it they can have it for the price of post :thumbsup:

link

I always preferred their other one, "Just Like Duramine and Duraphet"

Paul

Social source share

Pete, someone played a white demo of the original version at the party after the Autumn Skeggy weekender and although it had been a heavy couple of days, I reckon that was a US copy.

Dave

link

Just going by what I remember - I never heard the US version til I bought one in about 1980

Social source share

Guest miff

Miff, I think the US version was a different one to the the UK one - they had a different vocalist but same backing track - the UK one was the first and the one thats well known.  You can tell the difference when she sings "when it suddenly went dark", on one version it's sung 'straight' and on the other she goes up at the end of the line.  All very trainspotterish over a forgotten and generally despised record but I quite like it personally.

link

Thanks for that info i never know any of that just thorght it was a bit longer will have a listen to night :thumbsup:

I nearly played Elusive out on Sunday evening.....heard it played later in the front room at Sheridans and wished I had done  :P ....and yes, it did get some dancefloor action :D

It was the 76 UK issue...the first and harsher version of the two.

That was the fourth time I've heard it out in the last 6 months, each time as a request and each time getting a good response.

Well i would certenly be up there giving it some  :D

Always found it a bit ironic that it filled so many floors in 76, caused more glasses to shake off tables and contributed more to the deteriation of the pier than almost any other record.....UNTIL it became common knowledge who the artist was :D

Either it was/is a good record or not.....regardless of what it says on the label!

Dave

link

It says Capitol Disco on mine :)

Dave

link

Mines Orange on Capitol Disco See Scan

:D

Edited by miff
Social source share

Thanks for that info i never know any of that just thorght it was a bit longer will have a listen to night  :thumbsup:

It says Capitol Disco on mine  :D

Mines Orange on Capitol Disco See Scan

:)

link

I've never seen one like that!

I had a Spanish one with a pic sleeve and I think it played the US version.

Social source share

Guest miff

link

Mmmm the plot thickens :)

Quite an in depth discusion for a despised record :D

Ime sure the soul police will be out soon and put us back on the path to soul salvation :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest remus

Much appreciated

:)

link

Something 'Vickers'-'On the brink', 1960's police soap theme tune covered up by Keb or Guy I think??... A tacky instrumental that odd balls like Pete Smith rave about!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Something 'Vickers'-'On the brink',  1960's police soap theme tune covered up by Keb or Guy I think??... A tacky instrumental that odd balls like Pete Smith rave about!!! :thumbsup:

link

Mike Vickers - On the brink - UK Columbia. Covered up as Boogaloo Investigator by Matt Parsons Orchestra. Theme from The Wednesday Play 1966. Great track!

p.s. I am honoured at being called an oddball, it beats c*nt

Social source share

Guest Jamie

link

Nope, me neither. I've got a US Demo, US Issue and a UK Issue (Don't ask me why!)

My Dad told me about the different vocal years ago. He said he prefers the version where she 'screams' it, rather than sing it.

Agree with Miff. This is all music from the East Coast, stuff I was brought up on and not ashamed to admit I like it. Cool or Uncool, it's a fantastic funky dancer, by a bunch of greabo weirdo b*stards who never did anything else remotely funky.

I actually played this at a wedding do on Sunday, to a floor full of Young & Beautiful types, and it filled the floor. As did Willi J, Frankie Crocker and J J Caillier.

I was told beforehand not to play any 'Northern' as it was all House and stuff - So I didn't :D:thumbsup::)

Jamie Ruth :D

Social source share

Guest Byrney

A typically awful pop shite record that was played in the late 70s at Notts Palais was by Twiggy!! (might have been Rob Smith who played it) I can't remember what it was c/u as But I think the title was Why Did You Leave me! Oh the haunting chorus.. MY EYES, MY EYES, MY EYES!!!

I'm not making this up, honest guv.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

A typically awful pop shite record that was played in the late 70s at Notts Palais was by Twiggy!! (might have been Rob Smith who played it) I can't remember what it was c/u as But I think the title was Why Did You Leave me! Oh the haunting chorus.. MY EYES, MY EYES, MY EYES!!!

I'm not making this up, honest guv.

link

That's called Beautiful Dreams and it's on Ember. GREAT RECORD! The reason she's going on about her eyes is because I think the line before mentions tears in them. There's a superb colour promo film of this which gets shown now and again on retro 60's programmes where's she's dancing with this playing in the background. I've actually got an alternative version of Beautiful Dreams which has a bloomin theramin playing over the top of it (Precision cassette version)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!