Live Acts You Would Like To See At Weekenders

Would love to see:

Brothers of Soul

Jeff/Greg Perry (Jeff/Jefree was over 10 years ago, I put him on at Newbury & he was great).

Sharon Jones & the Daptones (f***ing unbeleivable........would love to see her at an Allnighter tho')

Lew Kirton/Invitations

Billy Prophet

Chuck Jackson & Maxine Brown on the same bill.

Spyder Turner

who would you like to see on the bill............

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 88
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Would love to see:

Brothers of Soul

Jeff/Greg Perry (Jeff/Jefree was over 10 years ago, I put him on at Newbury & he was great).

Sharon Jones & the Daptones (f***ing unbeleivable........would love to see her at an Allnighter tho')

Lew Kirton/Invitations

Billy Prophet

Spyder Turner

Russ

only one for me

Patti Austin

Social source share

Otis Clay - was lucky enough to see him in London @ a venue in Shepherd's Bush around 10-12 years ago. He had is own band backing him and was awesome. He would absolutely slay you Russ.

Derek

Social source share

what about the volumes or the falcons ? are they still around in any form

Agree with all named here, However: too expensive no doubt, but would love to see these.

Little Anthony and The Imperials- Goin' Out Of My Head

Little Anthony and The Imperials-Hurts So Bad

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Agree with all named here, However: too expensive no doubt, but would love to see these.

THINK YOU MIGHT LIKE THERE NEW CD, GO TO WWWCRAZYBEAT FOR SOUND SAMPLES :thumbup:

Social source share

Ya know what Roger? I'm with you mate, of any possible act for a weekender, for me it would have to be Little Anthony. We've said it for years round here, doubt the people who put on these weekenders would agree though! as for expense! why get two three four acts that maybe have a half dozen tunes between them that they probs can't even remember recording, when you could have Little Anthony with enough material to do a propper set. of stuff that he, actually recorded. And he still has the voice!

steve

Social source share

Would love to see:

Brothers of Soul

Lew Kirton/Invitations

Billy Prophet

Spyder Turner

Russ

I have had the honour of seeing many acts , but the only person that I really wanted to see , sadly died before I could do so , was Lou Rawls ........

To hear that voice in person would have been a killer .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Ya know what Roger? I'm with you mate, of any possible act for a weekender, for me it would have to be Little Anthony. We've said it for years round here, doubt the people who put on these weekenders would agree though! as for expense! why get two three four acts that maybe have a half dozen tunes between them that they probs can't even remember recording, when you could have Little Anthony with enough material to do a propper set. of stuff that he, actually recorded. And he still has the voice!

steve

People have tried, apparently, and I think he's a bit pricey/doesn't like flying etc.

I really wish, though, that someone would bring over Eugene Pitt and the Jive Five. Across Northern and Modern/Corssover Eugene has enough tunes to fill a set and his voice is still as fantasic as ever - this I know because I saw him live, singing with the 'Legends Of Doo Wop', at 'Rhythm Riot' last year.

Or how about Timothy Wilson? He sings with Lewis Lymon and the Teenagers/Teenchords, and he, too, was in the UK a few years back so he must be OK with the travelling.

Nella Dodds still sings, and would love to come over.

Ditto Bobby Freeman - wouldn't you like to hear "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" live?

There are still so many to see and, sadly, we probably won't get to see many of them...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Of acts that are still with us and still performing and still have what it takes and who have elevated status on the rare soul scene ,

I can't understand why someone isn't speaking to Howard Tate and Garnett Mimms ???? How 'bout a double bill ?

Both still going strong and Garnett Mimms looking absolutely great.

Check this out ....

https://funky16corners.wordpress.com/2008/0...ome-old-sounds/

Imagine hearing the opening chords of "Looking For You" and Garnett bursting into song, now that would be something !

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Of acts that are still with us and still performing and still have what it takes and who have elevated status on the rare soul scene ,

I can't understand why someone isn't speaking to Howard Tate and Garnett Mimms ???? How 'bout a double bill ?

Check this out ....

Imagine hearing the opening chords of "Looking For You" and Garnett bursting into song, now that would be something !

Garnet Mimms is nowadays a man of God, and has no interest in performing "The Devil's Music". He would not even sing "Cry Baby" when asked to do so at his induction into the R & B Hall Of Fame. Can't see him coming over her and doing a set for a few hundred soulies!

Social source share

Check this out ....

Unfortunately mate Howard Tate is in a wheel chair & has been in a care home for awhile now.

Russ

Social source share

How 'bout Spyder Turner ... or Freddie Hughes ???

I said Spyder Turner too, but also think Jackey Beavers would tear the roof of the sucker............Margie Joseph ???.....agree with Tony about the Jyve Five too...........is Nella Dodds still singing ????????????........I lived very near to her & found her place of work, which was literally within 5 miles of my house, as you know ND is not her real name & I actually thought ,No Im not going to Bother Her',...............bugger !!!!!!.

Russ

Social source share

Otis Clay - was lucky enough to see him in London @ a venue in Shepherd's Bush around 10-12 years ago. He had is own band backing him and was awesome. He would absolutely slay you Russ.

Derek

Yeh' choofin' ace,best i've seen............i would like to see Oasis. :thumbup:

Social source share

Are the Esquires of "Get On Up" & "And Get Away" fame , featuring the Moorer brothers, still performing ???

And one time member Mill Edwards / Mill Evans ?

And sister Betty Moorer of "Speed Up" fame ?

Just did some net searching and discovered that Gilbert Moorer sadly passed only last month, another sad loss for one of soul's most under rated groups, but Betty Moorer is still with us .

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Both still singing, both sounding good - Freddie Hughes has actually been to the UK in the last 10 years, singing with the Deacon Jones Blues Band

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I said Spyder Turner too, but also think Jackey Beavers would tear the roof of the sucker............Margie Joseph ???.....agree with Tony about the Jyve Five too...........is Nella Dodds still singing ????????????........I lived very near to her & found her place of work, which was literally within 5 miles of my house, as you know ND is not her real name & I actually thought ,No Im not going to Bother Her',...............bugger !!!!!!.

Russ

Margie Joseph is, I think, just singing Gospel these days.

Nella was thrilled with the CD I did on her a year or so ago. She doesn't sing as 'Nella Dodds' anymore, but she's very active in her curch choir. She does some acting, too, under her real name - she was in "Evan Almoighty" as a congresswoman...

Given that just about all of her records are 'Northern' to one extent or another (or at least uptempo 60s soul) I can't honestly understand why any promoter wouldn't want to bring her over, but when I put the feelers out on her behalf there wasn't a lot of interest, I'm afraid...

Social source share

Given that just about all of her records are 'Northern' to one extent or another (or at least uptempo 60s soul) I can't honestly understand why any promoter wouldn't want to bring her over, but when I put the feelers out on her behalf there wasn't a lot of interest, I'm afraid...

Social source share

I m not particularly surprised about that, but it is sad isnt it? I dont think this scene is about the live artist as much as it is about the pretty labels on the record!(Has it ever been?) If it was a live act scene, everyone would of been at Stoke to see the Dells or at Northampton to hear the Impressions, and those guys at Crewe would have made a killing with Maxine Brown etc etc. I saw Sam Dees on all of his nights a few years ago, how many were at Yarmouth or Newbury that went just to see him?

I d love to see Gladys Knight singing anything ,but think I might need to go to the States to hear her.

I totally agree with you. When I speak with a lot of peeps at Soul Weekenders, they would rather have a DJ for an hour and NOT a live group. I personally try to see as many LIVE acts as I can: they may not be with us for that much longer!

I would have loved to have seen Dee Dee Warwick; but sadly that will not now happen.

Yes, Gladys Knight, brill! I think, for a Soul Weekender etc, she may be just too expensive?

PROMOTERS: please keep doing what your doing with LIVE acts. There are peeps, like me, who appreciate it.

Cheers................ Tom. Banbury.

Social source share

I have had the honour of seeing many acts , but the only person that I really wanted to see , sadly died before I could do so , was Lou Rawls ........

To hear that voice in person would have been a killer .......

Malc Burton

It was, saw him in Las Vegas in 78/79? It Was Fabulous

P :thumbup:

post-9683-1225017530_thumb.jpg

post-9683-1225017570_thumb.jpg

Social source share

It was, saw him in Las Vegas in 78/79? It Was Fabulous

P :thumbup:

Envious .......

I was in New York in the mid - nineties , and found that he was appearing at Carnegie Hall - two days after I had to come home .........

They used to state that " When You've Heard Lou , You've Heard It All " : I wish I had .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Are the Esquires of "Get On Up" & "And Get Away" fame , featuring the Moorer brothers, still performing ???

And one time member Mill Edwards / Mill Evans ?

And sister Betty Moorer of "Speed Up" fame ?

I think Mill Evans has been approached already. From what I gather he's not too keen but hasn't ruled it out completely.

Social source share

Tried to punt a Philly Showcase last year.

Who would like to see:

Frankie Beverly (Doing his Northern outings)

Yvonne Baker (Doing the same)

Bunny Sigler

Lee Andrews

Unfortunately Ms Baker wasn't up for it, (she has personal problems), neither was Lee Andrews. (He runs a craft shop now). FB would cost an arm and a leg...but could be persuaded and Bunny is only a phone call away.

That would be a dream line up for me.

Social source share

Just thought of another:

Ralph Soul Jackson...............wow.

Russ

Ralph Soul Jackson back performing. Did some shows with Roscoe Robinson and Otis Clay last year/year before and Andy dj'ed at another last year with Ralph, Roscoe and Herman Hitson. We very nearly got Ralkph over as well couple of years ago, last minute problems. Can probably still get him and Herman Hitson over if anyone interested.

Some photos of Ralph, Roscoe Robinson and Otis Clay performing can be viewed at my Flickr account HERE

they were sent by Ralph's manager John Ciba and we used them for publicity when we attempted to bring Ralph over here.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Spyder should have appeared at Prestatyn few years ago. From what I can gather the authorities in the states wouldn't let him leave the country. Freddie Hughes would be good!!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Would love to see:

Brothers of Soul

Lew Kirton/Invitations

Billy Prophet

Spyder Turner

Russ

I unbeknowingly saw The Invitations - I think it was 1968 - at The Bin Lid in Dewsbury , when they were touring as The Drifters .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I unbeknowingly saw The Invitations - I think it was 1968 - at The Bin Lid in Dewsbury , when they were touring as The Drifters .......

Malc Burton

Didn't they return last year/year before??? Did a show in Derby. Sure they did and I was going until some last minute hitch.

Social source share

Didn't they return last year/year before??? Did a show in Derby. Sure they did and I was going until some last minute hitch.

Now you mention it Chalks , I am sure they did come to the UK ( I think it was in 2006 ) , to do a couple of shows : can somebody confirm this ? ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Without a dub, Emmanuel Laskey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In respect of acts I am wanting to see , and seem destined to miss , Mario Biondi was playing in Pisa , the week after I was there in June .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert