The Empress Ballroom , Mexborough Sat. Oct 25th

Guest Malc Burton

I can hear the comments now " what does he mean - as comfortable as a pair of old slippers ? - the old git is rambling again : what is he on about - slippers ? : they will have to reduce the dosage of his medication " .........

Sit up straight at the back : I shall now explain .......

I enjoy going to the place , as I know that when I step through the doors , I am going to get what I want from a venue - good music , good - and genuine - people , good conversation , and good organisation : that is why I use the term " as comfortable as a pair of old slippers " , as I feel at ease and at home there - a la the feeling you get from aging home leisure footwear ..........

Last night , an extra to the normal / established Bank Holiday Sundays , was an extremely good night , highlighted with a soundtrack of top music in both rooms from the Yorkshire DJ Mafia , all of whom did creditable spots , but the Hughie Green Clapometer award must go to Geordie for his first spot in the reception area / modern room - a terrific set of audio erotica ........

Off on a tangent again - speaking of young Geordie , why do I think he bears a more than passing resemblence to Radio 2 DJ , Mark Radcliffe ? please see the photograph of MR below .........

One last thing : ( doing my Gok Wanker impression ) and i am not taking the urine - really nice pair of strides you were wearing Nel :thumbup: : but I would have expected no less from a man of your fashion sense .......

See you all next time .......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1225008984.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
  • Replies 18
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

well what can i say these guys that run the empress give your selfs a pat on the back you did it again and that sound system was awrsome well done mr old boy simms we got there about 8.45 and the place was buzzing the collection of djs for the night deliverd the goods as always the only thing wrong with the night im sorry to say was the queen of soul joy was not there as she was poorly and let me tell you joy you were missed poor yockie looked lost bless him i really hope you get better soon joy your a star The yorkshire crew not gonna name um all as they know who i mean thank you for making me and sue feel welcomed your such a great bunch of folk already looking forward to the christmas bash on the 28th if this was a bench mark for it then it will be another great night a big well done to you all involved. And nel you even played a good spot mate you had me dancin looks like i mis jugded you mate you well on the way for me to getting rid of those picture mate you played a blinder my old mate (are you shore they were your records and not some one elses ) but a really big thanks to you all see you all soon

post-6511-1225019015_thumb.jpg

Cheers Malc glad you enjoyed my spot...must say that there was a great buzz from the chill out area last night..with at times seeming like it was busier than the main room whistling.gif sorry i didnt get to play you the dave collins and cargo track....will next time rest assured.

Massive thanks to Russ steele for once again doing a blinding spot for over an hour and a half...thanks for the freddie tyrell...... my fav

Mark and i would like to thank all who stayed listened and didnt get put off if we played off the wall a little...but thats what the room is about.... great tunes, not all dancers, but cracking soul.

Thanks again

Mr W Has the play lists im sure he will post asap

Geeooooordie

Guest Mezhouse

Excellent night as per usual apart from the absence of Joy - get well soon Joy, I missed you last night! Good to see everyone and have a dance and a chat. See you all soon. :D

Jo xx

forgot to mention my mate bernie pearson from bolton lancs who stepped in at a moments notice and did the first spot in the main room 7 till 8, well done bernie you even got them dancin ,not bad fer a lanc :D

Hi folk's, firstly i'd like to echo what Barneys just said and thank Bernie for getting the night started off on the right foot, great spot mate. Infact i'd like to thank all our guest DJ's for awesome spot's, you all did the biz and kept the dance floor choca right up till the end of the night, nice one.

More people came up to me asking where Joy was and how was she doing, we all missed you , hope you're better soon sweetheart. Can't comment on Nel's trousers cause he keep's doing revenge attack's on me, enough said. Thank's to Steve Mank for the copy of "The Caesers" nice one mate, brill.

Music, Atmosphere, Great Freinds, Geordie and Mark and the Chill Out Room going from strength to strength, last night had it all and that's mainly thank's to "You" for your fantastic support and making the Empress the success it is thumbup.gif .

See you all at Christmas, best Woody :D

P.S. Q - "WHO IS steve owen"

A - "A JOKE" laugh.gif:lol::no::g:

forgot to mention my mate bernie pearson from bolton lancs who stepped in at a moments notice and did the first spot in the main room 7 till 8, well done bernie you even got them dancin ,not bad fer a lanc :D

yes would just like to say a big thank you to bernie for stepping in at the last moment great spot to start the night off for us and like barney says got them dancing right from the begining cheers mate i owe you one (fantastic couple)also a big thanks to all our friends who rallied round to help me out in the absence of joy (ch!!ing never realised how much she does)with out you i dont know what i would have done you were true friends.Thanks to Angie Jean and Stacey for the door and Tom in the afternoon with john and alex.I might be going soft but saturday reflected what the empress crew have tried to create at the empress a big bunch of friends helping each other out for just a night of great atmospheric music dancing talking listening but most of all everybody having Fun enjoying what i beleive is a gift from god northern soul music and i do trully believe we are the blessed ones. just to finish thanks to Little Av Pete,Dick,Johna,Tom & Derek and also Russ Steele in the chill out area along with our two great friends Mark and Ian all played fantastic spots and both sides rocking.Well hope i have not left anyone out and it leaves me to say the biggest thank you to you the crowd that comes to the Empress because without you it could not happen and we will see you all back on the 28th of December for our Christmas special see you all soon Nel Jean Dave Linda Yocky and Joy.

Well, just another corker at the Empress!

Malc's summing up of the event sounds just about spot on.

Great Organisers, Great People and Great Music - Oh and the Guiness is pretty good too :D

The 'Queen Mum' of soul was sadly missed but Angie & Co did a sterling job in her abscence.

Many thanx to Russ Steele for guesting in the chillout bar and of course thanx to the Yockster, Nell, Woody etc for allowing Myself & Geordie to run this side of things for them. Busy for us and I have to say that a few of the 'Northern' stalwarts who strayed, nay stayed in the chillout bar have passed encouraging comments, one who shall remain nameless remarked 'Ill have to be careful spending this much time in here, you'll be converting me to modern soul soon!' :lol:

Great sound systems from Old boy Simms thumbsup.gif

Final thanx to all who make it happen - the people who turn up to support the venue!

I am in posssesion of the playlists and willpost up later

M. thumbsup.gif

Edited by MarkWhiteley

Thanks to all who attended last night and made it the night it was , special thanks to the simms lads wot at a team . special thanks allso to all who maned the door . All djs played great spots and I had the unenviable task of following tom and derreck Barnsleys two ton of soul not easy cos they played a absolut blinder fantastic stuff . plenty of smiling faces at knock of and thats wot this scene is all about it makes ya smile dunt it . El Nel :D

Thanks to all who attended last night and made it the night it was , special thanks to the simms lads wot at a team . special thanks allso to all who maned the door . All djs played great spots and I had the unenviable task of following tom and derreck Barnsleys two ton of soul not easy cos they played a absolut blinder fantastic stuff . plenty of smiling faces at knock of and thats wot this scene is all about it makes ya smile dunt it . El Nel :unsure:

Hi everybody, i'm here again.

Special thank's to John and Alex for the use of their fantastic equiptment and sorting out any small hickups during the night :lol: :lol: .

Also big thankyou to Angie and the girl's for sorting the door out for us :lol: :lol: thumbup.gif . Sorry i did'nt mention you all earlier, me head's a shed lately (think i've caught the El Nel syndrome) plus i'm still reeling from the awesome night we had last night , thank's again Woody :rolleyes: .

We had a great night. Thanks for inviting us along to spin some sounds in the main room. It was a great night musially and socially. As already mentioned, great friendships makes this scene rather special.

Hope Joy is feeling better. Love to Linda.

See you all soon.

Av & Pete

a big well done me and my partner felt you played the best spot of the night although all the djs were arwsome

Ey up wots this.....am i to replace radcliffe on radio two..mmmmmm...the Geordie and Macconi show..has a bit of a ring to it dont you know.......then again i dont think mark radcliffe has owt t worry about..and i fail to see the resemblence apart from the receeding hair line :huh:

Geooooordie

You have a facial similarity to MR , Geordie - believe me , but that is where it ends .......

As for doing the " Geordie and Maconie Show " , they would have get a translater in :D ......

Only joking :unsure:

Malc Burton

You have a facial similarity to MR , Geordie - believe me , but that is where it ends .......

As for doing the " Geordie and Maconie Show " , they would have get a translater in :yes: ......

Only joking :thumbup:

Malc Burton

What you saying malc that the great british radio listener wouldnt be able to understand gizabroonjack or

hoyahammaowereer, or....gaancanniehinnie or even ...anivaseenimfadust.....amsure e wazaboorgla..

Niva mind eh....eers wor las wi a ham n pease puddin stottie...slurp

Geeooooordie

What you saying malc that the great british radio listener wouldnt be able to understand gizabroonjack or

hoyahammaowereer, or....gaancanniehinnie or even ...anivaseenimfadust.....amsure e wazaboorgla..

Niva mind eh....eers wor las wi a ham n pease puddin stottie...slurp

Geeooooordie

Reading those was like listening to Lady B's late Aunty Florrie , who originated from , and lived all her life in Felling .......

Geordie - tha is a canniehinne yersel , pet ..........

Malc Burton