Reputations

two things have struck me over the last couple of weeks on here....

first with the talk of is butch playing here or there and the general view that promoters knew in advance where he was playing...dont those promoters who do this (advertise knowing he probably wont play) care about the rep they may get for letting people down (or conning them ?)...wouldnt it be better to play who you say youre playing...even if they arent such big names ...

and with the djs who turn up ,play what they want and leave without a care if its already been played.....why dont they care..i know i would !

at kings hall both kenny and sean came on late and played wicked imaginative sets including tracks i both didnt know and i hadnt heard for ages not a couple of hours !...i reckon they should have had prime time instead of chris king and ginger...but thats just my opinion :(

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest gordon russell

l will not name any venues in this thread .....but your right certain promoters and dj's DON'T care,never mind what they might say.these promoters care about one thing numbers through the door above all else,they sit round the back counting the cash while the soul fans can just get on with whatever rubbish they are given.To your face and on here the said promoter will say all the right things you wanna hear to make you believe.As for some of the dj's,they bask in their own glory,make the grand entrance,tell ya where they first heard this or that,then you get wheeled,wigined or torched.they stand up there djing with that "what the feck am l doing here" look on their faces,then pack their tunes up and piss off home.Oh and by the way you had better clap when they play or else.There are thankfully promoters and dj's WHO DO actually care and have a real love for the music and the scene,but somehow most soul fans up and down the country seem to give these lads and lasses short shrift.....lets see who is still there when the bubble has burst..bet l know..sadly tezza.

p.s please don't try and double guess where l mean and come up with the wrong places...ask me when ya see me where I MEAN :(:thumbsup:

Social source share

Know what your saying and agree to an extent, but if we feel so strongly about certain promoters/DJ's then its simple dont frequent them. We are the people who pay their wages. There are plenty of smaller venues around the country where the promoters and DJ's do care and are trying to put on different sorts of nights, give them your support instead. I was in a strange city the other weekend and looking for a soul night to go to. Not only did kind people on here point me in the right direction but the promoter gave me and the bettter half free entry and the guest DJ gave us a lift back to our hotel and wouldn't take any money for it. I dont want to name them incase it embarrasses them but they know who they are and its things like that, that I'm sure is happening all over the country every week of the year that makes our scene so special, so people if you love our scene dont let the few promoters/DJ's that dont care ruin it for the rest of us

Regards

Ian

Social source share

The one thing does does bug me is when a dj arrives not long before his set then plays tunes played before they arrived and not long after pisses off home :thumbup: surely you got to be a soulie first and dj second aint you :yes:

Social source share

The one thing does does bug me is when a dj arrives not long before his set then plays tunes played before they arrived and not long after pisses off home :thumbup: surely you got to be a soulie first and dj second aint you :yes:

Yeah but you always try to play all of Dave Rimmers set before him .... :D:D:D

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I must add that, as far as I'm concerned, the good promoters/DJ's far outweigh the dubious ones. I for one never attend any venue of which the promoters cannot be justifably proud. The money is paramount/fill your pockets and f**k the punters are, thankfully, few and far between, IMHO.

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

OH RATE THEN I'LL NAME ONE PROMOTER THEN, IT'S NOW THE THIRD OCCASSION OF WHICH I KNOW ABOUT THAT THE LINE UP ON THE NIGHT DIFFERS FROM FLYERS AND PROMOTIONS VIA THE NET. THE IDEA IS TO prick THE PROMOTERS CONSCIENCE OF KEEPING THE PUNTER INFORMED, WELL AS FAR AS f*** THE PUNTERS ? WHERE WOULD ANY OF THE PROMOTERS BE WITHOUT THEM ? SORRY KEV FOR NAMING YOU AS A GUILTY PARTY BUT IT SEEMS SOME ARE'NT HAPPY AT JUST TRYING [ like i said ] TO prick PROMOTERS TO TRY AND DO THEIR BEST AT KEEPING THE PUNTERS INFORMED WHEREEVER POSSIBLE.

post-5802-1225219123_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

there are occasions when a booked dj has to pull at the last minute for whatever reason it's happened to us once or twice

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

I used to get worried about stuff like this but nowadays I can't be bothered-if I have a problem with how somebody promotes their night or what djs are on (or not) then I just don't bother going. But to be fair it's unusual for an event to misadvertise like Stoke did this weekend even though they must have known for weeks that Butch wasn't playing. Although I'm not entirely sure that most of the 900 or so who go would really care if Butch was on or not. But for the few that do care it matters wink.gif

As far as the repeats are concerned I really don't understand why the djs can't leave playlists so whoever is on after knows what not to play if they haven't been there all night. How come you never hear repeats at Middleton, Lifeline or the 100? Is it because the djs are there all night or is it because the organisers make more of an effort rather than just playing anything because they think folk won't notice :rolleyes:

Social source share

I used to get worried about stuff like this but nowadays I can't be bothered-if I have a problem with how somebody promotes their night or what djs are on (or not) then I just don't bother going. But to be fair it's unusual for an event to misadvertise like Stoke did this weekend even though they must have known for weeks that Butch wasn't playing. Although I'm not entirely sure that most of the 900 or so who go would really care if Butch was on or not. But for the few that do care it matters wink.gif

As far as the repeats are concerned I really don't understand why the djs can't leave playlists so whoever is on after knows what not to play if they haven't been there all night. How come you never hear repeats at Middleton, Lifeline or the 100? Is it because the djs are there all night or is it because the organisers make more of an effort rather than just playing anything because they think folk won't notice :rolleyes:

the Djs are there all night i reckon shades.gif

Social source share

the Djs are there all night i reckon :rolleyes:

To be honest you could be right, I know one of the residents and he always makes sure he is there early doors. I dunno whether that is Andy's requirement or just that he wants to do that wink.gif

Social source share

To be honest you could be right, I know one of the residents and he always makes sure he is there early doors. I dunno whether that is Andy's requirement or just that he wants to do that wink.gif

well if i dj anywhere i want to be there first thing if possible to hear every tune thats played and also to maybe hear something new and above all have a bloody good dance and night to the very end biggrin.gif and not repeat whats already been played :rolleyes:

Social source share

Its because they have individual original DJ's and not clones. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

the matter of repeats....this generally happens at oldies nights,the reason for this is simple most of the big name dj's at these nights have all the big oldies...salvadors,tomangos,mel britt ect ect and as that is what most soul fans are there for music wise then repeats are bound to happen whilst NIEL JONES came up with a good and credible solution l can't help thinking that if a dj is on at any time between say 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock there is a more than 100% chance that previous dj's will have already gone through the list of popular oldies....charades,major lance ect ect.The only reason these repeats happen is because the dj's are not paying attention for whatever reason to the nights proceedings.This does not happen at venues such as those mentioned 1 because they are not oldies venues and 2 the dj's are in the main there for the whole evening......dare l say it....enjoying the music that they are telling you is great.....tezza wink.gif:yes:

Social source share

The buck has to stop with the promoters,we dont make it a rule at middleton that you have to be there all night but if your not the chances are you will not be asked back :rolleyes: .Luckily most of our djs spend the nite in the record bar and a genuinley interested in listening to what the other guys are spinning.

Social source share

The buck has to stop with the promoters,we dont make it a rule at middleton that you have to be there all night but if your not the chances are you will not be asked back :rolleyes: .Luckily most of our djs spend the nite in the record bar and a genuinley interested in listening to what the other guys are spinning.

Yeah that's pretty much the rule of thumb at the 100 Club with a couple of occasional exceptions. On Saturday all the DJs were there virtually from start to finish and when Mick Smith's on he is too and that's something that I, as an ever aging geezer, can't even manage when i do the odd guest spot. If I get there late I pick out a pile of records I'm planning on playing and I make a point of asking the previous DJ or one of the knowledgeable punters who would know, whether they've been on before.

Luckily at the 100 most DJs have their own plays so the chances of repeats are minimal.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

hey ,maybe after this thread some promoters and dj's might have to pretend they're enjoying themselves at their venues :thumbup::rolleyes: ....don't count on it......because if they don't care in the first place why should they now. :lol:laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

hey ,maybe after this thread some promoters and dj's might have to pretend they're enjoying themselves at their venues :thumbup::rolleyes: ....don't count on it......because if they don't care in the first place why should they now. :lol:laugh.gif:lol:

But sometimes when you're trying to deal with DJs temperaments, dodgy punters, a moody PA and phantom talcums, it ain't that easy to raise a smile! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

I remember the days when your guest Dj was booked because he had the tunes you didn't, doesn't quite work like that now at most soul nights. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I remember the days when your guest Dj was booked because he had the tunes you didn't, doesn't quite work like that now at most soul nights. :)

Mark

That's why we don't book you at Broughton :P - no Prophets '(If I had) One Gold Piece', no Margaret Little 'Love finds a way', no Magnetics 'Lady in Green' - what else haven't you got so that we won't book you?????? Just what is your average DJ coming to when he doesn't have bog standard originals like these - eh?????

Who's next for the chop - Sam???? :)

Brian :thumbsup:

Social source share

Mark

That's why we don't book you at Broughton :P - no Prophets '(If I had) One Gold Piece', no Margaret Little 'Love finds a way', no Magnetics 'Lady in Green' - what else haven't you got so that we won't book you?????? Just what is your average DJ coming to when he doesn't have bog standard originals like these - eh?????

Who's next for the chop - Sam???? :)

Brian :thumbsup:

Yes Brian, Next time @ Broughton, No Sam,No Brian :yes: ..........We're gonna have our own nite & sod everyone........

PS have a great holiday............CHICO !!!!! :)

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Yes Brian, Next time @ Broughton, No Sam,No Brian :P ..........We're gonna have our own nite & sod everyone........

PS have a great holiday............CHICO !!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Chico

Keep up the good work. Have a super night; I'll be thinking of you while drinking my Singha beer in Pattaya. (For any jealous pervs out there...it's all above board, my wife is coming with me and we're going to play golf.....and don't shoot me the 'Coals to Newcastle' line - I've heard it too many times :) ).

For anyone who doesn't know Chico - what a genuine guy and top grade DJ.

Brian :)

Social source share

I remember the days when your guest Dj was booked because he had the tunes you didn't, doesn't quite work like that now at most soul nights. :thumbsup:

I would concur on times past - but I think the urgency of those early 'discovery' days have gone - Northern had a thread, a disjointed one given, but it did have a definate thread.

For example when Searling was at his height introducing killer discoveries from all era's. It is very few and far between I've heard anyone captivate a dancefloor in such a manner since.

On the back of that though, haven't we all matured since then, learnt more, have more of an informed view?

With the more informed views that we as punters have these days, shouldn't a dj's set revolve more about how he puts a group of records together, be they rare, well-known or whatever?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

But sometimes when you're trying to deal with DJs temperaments, dodgy punters, a moody PA and phantom talcums, it ain't that easy to raise a smile! :ohmy:

hey adey, as you well know all punters are dodgy,none of us really fit anywhere else :huh: thats what makes it so good in ya fifties.

Social source share

Yeah that's pretty much the rule of thumb at the 100 Club with a couple of occasional exceptions. On Saturday all the DJs were there virtually from start to finish and when Mick Smith's on he is too and that's something that I, as an ever aging geezer, can't even manage when i do the odd guest spot. If I get there late I pick out a pile of records I'm planning on playing and I make a point of asking the previous DJ or one of the knowledgeable punters who would know, whether they've been on before.

Luckily at the 100 most DJs have their own plays so the chances of repeats are minimal.

Better end my self emposed "sir Geoff" then Ady. :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert