soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 42
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Always been intrigued by the lyrics on this.

:rolleyes:

It's about music making things better isn't it? Lady Day (Billie Holliday) and John Coltrane will "take all your troubles away"!

Great tune thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Trevski

sounded great at york rugby club last night. was going to post in wants myself today so if 2 become available put me in the queue after you trevski wink.gif . uk or usa

dave

SNAP! Exactly what I thought!

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

It's about music making things better isn't it? Lady Day (Billie Holliday) and John Coltrane will "take all your troubles away"!

Great tune thumbsup.gif

Opium

Social source share

Not wanting to steal Trev's thread, but assume he is after the 7" only, so if anyone has the this on the original*** LP, Pieces of A Man, I would very much like one please, just one I have never picked up on vinyl and always meant to. Cheap as chips will help!

*** I expect a certified letter from your mum or someone similarly qualifed to say it is an original and not one of those nasty 180gram reissue thingymijigs!

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Not wanting to steal Trev's thread, but assume he is after the 7" only, so if anyone has the this on the original*** LP, Pieces of A Man, I would very much like one please, just one I have never picked up on vinyl and always meant to. Cheap as chips will help!

*** I expect a certified letter from your mum or someone similarly qualifed to say it is an original and not one of those nasty 180gram reissue thingymijigs!

Think I may have a spare of the album.. Will have a look tomorrow.

Sorry no spare on the 45, don't want to sell mine.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

A portly lorry drivers birthday bash.

Promised not to say how old he is but he's gonna have problems blowing 50 candles out :lol:

Yes young Kev Thomas has requested my presence, gotta blow the dust off me records as well.

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

If Gav can't find his spare LP, Nick from DJ Friendly has a selection of them in varying conditions and prices..... and I'm sure he'll be delighted to issue an authentication certificate! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

If Gav can't find his spare LP, Nick from DJ Friendly has a selection of them in varying conditions and prices..... and I'm sure he'll be delighted to issue an authentication certificate! :)

Nick always has this in stock, normally the 45 as well. Mark from Resolution is a good bet as well. Fair chance with Crazy Beat as well. :lol:

Don't forget Gemm :lol:

Social source share

Think I may have a spare of the album.. Will have a look tomorrow.

Sorry no spare on the 45, don't want to sell mine.

You are a gentleman, I have been buying a couple of new Beenies this weekend so can swap you an old one as part of the deal! Drop me an email if you find it as am not on here much at moment.

Hope you are feeling better.

If Gav can't find his spare LP, Nick from DJ Friendly has a selection of them in varying conditions and prices..... and I'm sure he'll be delighted to issue an authentication certificate! :)

I have just seen them, normally a bit rich in price for me but as he was the kind gentleman that had to put up with me all the way from Gt Yarmouth to Brighton this year sure there will be some negotiation possible, especially if I promise not to put him through that again :lol: He actually has a couple I am after looking at his site.

Nick always has this in stock, normally the 45 as well. Mark from Resolution is a good bet as well. Fair chance with Crazy Beat as well. :lol:

Don't forget Gemm :lol:

I hate GEMM, have bought 2 recently upgrading from reissue and they were f****g re-issues, tend to just deal with people I know on there.

used to play this @ music factory...househeads loved it....think it got the pills going again biggrin.gif

The first time I heard it out Tony was a MAW gig, he played that and a straight jazz track in the middle of all this Latin house, it sounded brilliant, bizarrely next time was at Wilton all nighter last hour, it just didnt seem the same!! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I have just seen them, normally a bit rich in price for me but as he was the kind gentleman that had to put up with me all the way from Gt Yarmouth to Brighton this year sure there will be some negotiation possible, especially if I promise not to put him through that again :) He actually has a couple I am after looking at his site.

Nick gets some great titles, I am sure there is a deal that can be struck :lol:

Social source share

The first time I heard it out Tony was a MAW gig, he played that and a straight jazz track in the middle of all this Latin house, it sounded brilliant, bizarrely next time was at Wilton all nighter last hour, it just didnt seem the same!! :)

hi jock...yeah they got taste too ...just like us :lol: of course they did like to sample GIL on a regular basis!!

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

will be playing JAMES MASON in LEEDS this friday..@ HEAVY SOUL.....KILLER FUNKY SOUL ALL THE WAY WITH A TOUCH OF TUFF DISKO... tongue.gif

its a great night bang in the centre of leeds.... :D:D:)

people come on down and shake your funky stuff

Look forward to hearing your set sir!

Ste. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I've a 12" tester of this by Courtney Pine that worth checking out. As you'd expect its on the Jazzy side Gav. You know this version? Has some rapping on a couple of the dub mixes but as theirs no info I don't know any details.

Kev

Kev

No mate, can post a refro clip?

Social source share

ive got one on philips,i like the b side too,make us an offer

regards doog

Bit of a dilemma this one...

The UK Phillips release has "When you are who you are" on the flip side.

Philips 6073 705 (1972)

The US Flying Dutchman copy has "Save the children" on the flip.

I like them both, so sorry - no spares :thumbsup:

Ever feel kinda of down and out and don't know just what to do?

Livin' all of days in darkness, let the sun shine through

Ever fell that somehow, somewhere you lost your way?

And if you don't get help you won't make it through the day

You could call on Lady Day!

You could call on John Coltrane!

They'll wash your troubles, your troubles away

Plastic people with plastic minds on their way to plastic homes

There's no beginning, there ain't no ending

just on and on and on and on and...

It's all because we're so afraid to say that we're alone

until our hero rides in, rides in on his saxophone

You could call on Lady Day!

You could call on John Coltrane!

They'll wash your troubles, your troubles away

https://www.gilscottheron.com/lylady.html

Edited by John Benson
Social source share

mine's a UK one like that, were they pressed "pre-dinked" because like mine, it looks like a very clean dink (if you know what I mean) :thumbsup:

Yes they were sold that way, like a lot of Polydor and related labels like Atlantic & Mojo.

Don't know the reason behind it though, unless it was to make them more 'juke box friendly'? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

To be honest i've gone off this record, just my opinion, but you know what it's like you put on a record then take it straight off................can't explain it.....

Social source share

Guest Brett F

While we are here on a Gil Scott -Heron thread, can anyone confirm that that US LP version of the Bottle is the very first edition of the record, this has annoyed me for years because i'm uncertain of the legitimacy of the Strata East releases either in France or the States..........

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Great record and play it alot :D

Have the Album and the 45.... Killer Anthem !

The James Mason track is a great record that crosses so many boundaries.

I picked up a vg+ copy very cheaply about 3 years ago.

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share