Billy Prophet - What Can I Do?

Guest soulmaguk

Guest soulmaguk

Can anyone of you kind folk tell me if this is real, Billy Prophet - What Can I Do? it has 65-SU-1214 etched in the run-out groove, it's not styrene and has a moulded label and is slightly off white in colour (see scan).

Jock.

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can anyone of you kind folk tell me if this is real, Billy Prophet - What Can I Do? it has 65-SU-1214 etched in the run-out groove, it's not styrene and has a moulded label and is slightly off white in colour (see scan).

Jock.

Sorry to say it is a boot, an original has Sue above the face and Records below the face

Regards

Paul

Social source share

I have one of these somewhere and always considered it a boot.

Manships' old "Guide to Bootlegs..." has this one in, I'm pretty sure (I'm away from home just now so can't check for you myself I'm afraid). I guess the new hot-off-the-presses Price Guide will also have it in.

Cheers

Richard

premium_stuff@hotmail.com

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

I dont think people realise how rare Billy Prophet is.

About 10 years ago i went to a gig in Higham Ferrers,Adey Potts was there selling a few bits,amongst these tunes was a copy of Billy Prophet with the name of that notorious soulie from Norfolk Kev Featherstone scrated in the run out. I didnt buy it,perhaps Adey will remember.

Some 2 years later,Billy P turned up on Pats Auction and a friend of mine won it,i have since bought that copy off him and lo and behold it the same one.If the tune was common i would have expected other copies to turn up for sale in those 2 years...........not one!!!

The copy in question i still own and its a demo with the Sad Sam B side.

Thoughts anyone

Social source share

About 10 years ago i went to a gig in Higham Ferrers,Adey Potts was there selling a few bits,amongst these tunes was a copy of Billy Prophet with the name of that notorious soulie from Norfolk Kev Featherstone scrated in the run out. I didnt buy it,perhaps Adey will remember.

Some 2 years later,Billy P turned up on Pats Auction and a friend of mine won it,i have since bought that copy off him and lo and behold it the same one.If the tune was common i would have expected other copies to turn up for sale in those 2 years...........not one!!!

Thoughts anyone

I used to own a single sided demo, there was a big buzz about that at the time, between my older soul mates, agreed here it is a rare record, not seen that often :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Thoughts anyone

Any chance of a scan of the said 45?

Social source share

my mistake...i always thought that the boots were the orange demos pressed on styrene with the monarch ( MR) stamp, never knew it was booted on a white demo

These boots copied the very rare original West Coast demo, which is styrene, but with a much lower Delta number.

Original Delta is 58579.

Boot Delta is 100271.

Social source share

Thoughts anyone

That's right Smudge ! Got it off Kev Fev in a trade, cant remember who I sold it too, but it wasn't Pat. I let it go because I got an unplayed issue down at Tottenham court rd record fair that had come out of Carlin Music in London.

When our mutual friend won it off Pats auction he called to tell me. First thing I said was 'has it got Kev Fevs name in the run out?' He burst out laughing, yep !

Did find another white demo since, but that's it, it is a rare record. Great oldie, I love it.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Any chance of a scan of the said 45?

Will see what i can do,most of my postings come from work and time is of the essence (Ye right) :shades:

Social source share

I've still got the double sided white demo with 'What Can I Do?'/' Sad Sam' on the flip got it when I lived up in North Wales for about thirty quid very late 80's, alway's suspected it was dog rare, sold a few bits over the years and recently but kept stuff like this, two quality sides and timeless Northern.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

this record must hold the world record (excuse the pun) for being released in the most different formats.....with the velvet satins coming a close second

Velvet Satins and Tommy Neal perhaps...........off thread a wee bit soz

Social source share

Jock.

Boot !! Jock

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Boot !! Jock

Thanks to everyone for their input. Seems to me the manufacturers of my 45 have gone to a hell of a lot of trouble to include as much info on the label as they could, with them missing the the actual words SUE Records from near the head logo dont you think that's odd! The vinyl itself looks and sounds top notch, with Sad Sam on the B'

Many Thanks

Jock.

Social source share

• 9 years later...
On 06/11/2008 at 00:17, pottsy said:

That's right Smudge ! Got it off Kev Fev in a trade, cant remember who I sold it too, but it wasn't Pat. I let it go because I got an unplayed issue down at Tottenham court rd record fair that had come out of Carlin Music in London.

When our mutual friend won it off Pats auction he called to tell me. First thing I said was 'has it got Kev Fevs name in the run out?' He burst out laughing, yep !

Did find another white demo since, but that's it, it is a rare record. Great oldie, I love it.

The Kev Fev copy was cracked, was with him when it happened, it was in a record store in Norwich. Sorry Kev if your reading this, sure you don't need reminding. It was still very much playable with the crack.

Edited by sheep
spelling
Social source share

• 10 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!