Guest Andy Kempster

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Ste Brazil

just out of interest really, it was all depeche mode and flock of seagulls at my youth club :)thmbdn.gif

Harlem shuffle / Skiing in the Snow & Black power spring to mind and loads of obvious Motown - This was mixed up with other 60's Mod stuff and The Jam - Early 80's.

Ste.

Social source share

R Dean Taylor , Tammi Lynn , and Derek and Ray all spring to mind , a village hall , with about 200 kids on a thursday night , supervised by 4 elderly women !!

Disco's were comical , huge groups of people standing around whilst they played three record sets to trying to please everyone !!!!

The soulies set was normally between the skinheads and rock n ' roll bits ,

Youth is definetly wasted on the young !!

Social source share

marv johnson you got the love i love.

along with many more would take all day to list them

&for me still up there with the best motown tunes

guess i'm just old bastard as this was played as new release

i'll get me coat.

Social source share

Breakin down the walls of heartache - Johnny Johnson

Feel the need in me - Detroit Emeralds

Double barrell - Dave & Ansil Collins

Black & White - Greyhound

Wet Dream - Max Romeo

Build me up Buttercup - Foundations

Loads of motown - Thats why I never saw motown as part of the northern scene - More youth club culture!

Social source share

Depends on what years you went to Youth clubs.from 1978 I used to go to different youth clubs everynight of the week in Middlesbrough. To hear Northern which was as was the norm in 20 min sets against charts,punk,ska. Then once a month Newton Aycliffe all nighter on Friday which on average was populated majoritly by 13-20 year olds from all over the Northeast.( incidently this was the first place I know of that had a seperate modern, funk room well the tarmac covered gym!)

so for me

Danse ala music - french fries

Summer in the parks- east coast connection

Send him back-pointer sisters

something kinda melow- johnny williams

Find my way cameo

captin of my ship vibrations

do me right - Denise la salle

Janice- skip mahoney

better to have - don covay

and lots and lots of others.

Social source share

moody woman -jerry butler

a man like me - jimmy james

louise lewis - wee ooh eee

fuller bros - times a wasting

marke jackson - i'll never forget you

joe simon - step by step

terrible tom - we were made for each other

gloria jones - tainted love

Social source share

Guest geordiebri

We had it tough at our youthie, my first foray inot Northern was to the strains of the following,

Out on the floor

The Snake

Needle in a Haystack

The Night (First record I ever bought)

Magic Potion

The Cheater

You get the picture, but I was only 12 & It honestly opened the doors to heaven for me at that young impressionable age!

Social source share

think i was one of the lucky ones Motown stax atlantic invictus stuff from 1970 DJ was my mates brother. main ones i always remember 6X6 earl van dyke, jimmy james a man like me ,and all the usual stuff band of gold and funky chicken and some ska blue beat things al capone and that type of stuff, so have always been into the soul side of things.

mark

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Alderman Smith School Youth Club circa 1979...

Murial Day - Nine Times Out Of Ten

Peggy March - If You Loved Me

Paul Humphreys - Cochise

The Toys - A Lovers Concerto

Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor

Kiki Dee - On A Magic Carpet Ride

David and The Giants - Ten Miles High

Derek and Ray - Interplay

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Mood Mosaic - Touch Of Velvet

Wigans Ovation - Ski-ing In The Snow

Poppies - Pain in My Heart

Chairmen Of The Board - Dangling on A String

Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston - It Takes Two

Velvelettes - He Was Really Saying Something

R Dean Taylor - Ghost In My House

Gloria Jones - Tainted Love

Murial Day - 9 Times Out Of 10

MVPS - Turning My Heartbeat Up (that's when the older folks danced their arses off and we younger ens stood there in amazement)

Probably a couple more northern soul tunes i'd never heard but the older ones obviously had :rolleyes: and their enthusiasm for the dancing got me a bit hooked.

Those listed up there ^^^, I bought 'em all, boot, original, I didn't care and wouldn't have known anyway. I even thought buying Wigans Ovation LP was the dogs danglies :rolleyes:

Then it went to Billy Ocean - Red Light Spells Danger, O'Jays - Backstabbers then it was time for the latest two-tone and Jam stuff, along with March Of The Mods tune, what the chuff, and we'd dance to it ..anyone else get March Of The Mods at their youth club?

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Mood Mosaic - Touch Of Velvet

Wigans Ovation - Ski-ing In The Snow

Poppies - Pain in My Heart

Chairmen Of The Board - Dangling on A String

Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston - It Takes Two

Velvelettes - He Was Really Saying Something

R Dean Taylor - Ghost In My House

Gloria Jones - Tainted Love

Murial Day - 9 Times Out Of 10

MVPS - Turning My Heartbeat Up (that's when the older folks danced their arses off and we younger ens stood there in amazement)

Probably a couple more northern soul tunes i'd never heard but the older ones obviously had :wicked: and their enthusiasm for the dancing got me a bit hooked.

Those listed up there ^^^, I bought 'em all, boot, original, I didn't care and wouldn't have known anyway. I even thought buying Wigans Ovation LP was the dogs danglies :D

Then it went to Billy Ocean - Red Light Spells Danger, O'Jays - Backstabbers then it was time for the latest two-tone and Jam stuff, along with March Of The Mods tune, what the chuff, and we'd dance to it ..anyone else get March Of The Mods at their youth club?

what a frightening record, thought i was tuning in to the magnificent men in their flying machines for a moment

Social source share

For us it was also a lot of the the regae, motown, PIR stuff that has already mentioned, but the stuff that got played and made me want to learn more about northern were:

Time

Out On The Floor

My Hearts Symphony

I'm Shaft

Anything off the Great Disco Demands LP

Apples Peaches Pumpkin Pie

Happy days :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!